Back Under Canvas

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Back Under Canvas

Post by PanBiker »

Yes quite probably but it's irrelevant. For the third time, I can't afford one let alone pay to park it somewhere.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I thought about one of these when the lads were small, but wondered how you'd get off the camp site to see the area, or go down the pub when it was all connected up with awnings etc. I think I made the right choice. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Pushbikes or a motorbike, we already have the bikes but if I could afford one I would also run to a motorbike to shove on the back. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My son and his girlfriend bought a tent and all the gear early last year. The inside of the tent had pockets in it, into which he put his sunglasses for safe keeping. Packed the tent up and came home, realising his very expensive sunglasses were still inside the pocket inside the tent!
They remain there to this day. He bought a new pair of sunglasses because he couldn't be bothered going to all the trouble of retrieving them.
They haven't been camping since!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, novice error! He will probably hang on to the gear for bit and then flog it off at a bargain rate. This is where campers like me benefit. :extrawink: I wonder if the bloke who was selling a never used tent I was prepared to buy but insisted on collection rather than send it by carrier for £9.95 still has it? Nowt as stupid as folk! The really stupid thing was that I offered to pay and organise the carrier pickup, all he had to do was pack it and put a label on it.

One good thing for your son Maz. If he ever goes camping again he will have a spare pair of shades. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

This tent of my son’s already has a history, Panbiker. They went “halves” in the purchase and things to go into the tent. After their holiday, they broke up ( probably for the fifth or sixth time back then...though they have never lived together and have broken up and got back together a few times since then). Anyway, she wanted “her half”. So it was paid out. But they are still together, 18 months on.
I don’t dare mention the tent nowadays ! :laugh5:
The photo I have of them comes in and out of a drawer on a regular basis !
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 08:17 I don’t dare mention the tent nowadays !
I'm not surprised. One thing about camping, you generally need a good relationship going on, nowhere to hide! :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is generally the same with solid sides, Panbiker. ( I cook and serve....and he sits and enjoys!)
My relief comes from carefully pre-preparing favourite meals that can simply be reheated and enjoyed, unless it is a BBQ and he will cook. I remember when we were in snow ( freezing it was) and I did a Macaroni Cheese ( with pre-cooked meatballs thrown through). Saved our life that night...we did enjoy it! We ate, tucked up in bed, with a glass of wine. ( one needs to appreciate their spouse in hats and socks in bed). God, it was cold...
This was a camp site where we basically parked amidst frozen puddles. There were toilets, but the toilets had no doors and were open to the elements. I didn’t bother having a shower, as facilities were the same, no doors. Strange locals about...all looked like Grizzly Adams or worse ( eyes that didn’t look in the same direction, and they muttered to themselves)
I don’t want to go back there in this lifetime...
A strange memory, but it will stay in the past.
We hadn’t planned our stay there. We were travelling through the mountains when the weather closed in, and our windscreen “de-mister” fan blew a fuse. It became impossible to travel, yet we would have been down through the mountains in about 4 to 5 hours if we could have kept going.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Snowman and Dragon Motorbike Rally's when we were courting were good ones. Two wheels so always open to the elements. Snowman was always in winter and one year we had to wait until the Sunday afternoon to break camp, our tent was frozen to the ground it was that cold. Two person small ridge tent that would fit on the carrier on the motorbike with two, zip together sleeping bags. Happy Days. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

There is a glimmer on the horizon. I saw a post on the Knight Stainforth Facebook site which alludes to the fact that they may be open for campers who need use of the shared facilities. I have asked the question and am waiting for a response. I have been checking their website a couple of times a week but the booking portal doesn't have a lot of information. Robin Hoods Bay site is open but I think for existing bookings. Carla and family are booked later this month. I doubt if we would get on there. Stainforth will do, lovely area, walks and the river bubbling away below the camping field. Nice site, the on site Knights Table cafe and restaurant has been open on socially distanced rules since 6th July. Also open for tourers who are self sufficient, camper vans etc.

Just need a bit of sustained nice weather and a positive result from Linda who is married to one of the lads. If I hear Chris (who is joint owner with his brother) on the radio, I will ask him. He's not on 2M very often but comes on occasionally onto the local nets. Of course I can always just ring them up. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps Wendy has a corner of her field where you could camp out? :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tizer wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 09:00 Perhaps Wendy has a corner of her field where you could camp out? :extrawink:
No bubbling rivers running by here, unless it's been raining hard! No flat pitches either otherwise we would be open for business!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Saw this come up on the special buys at Aldi, sold out online so I checked the local store this afternoon and they had one or two left. As we have decided to go for electrical hook up this will solve the problem of keeping stuff cool. It's mains or battery operated, A+++ energy rated and will hold 29L inside, tall enough for 2L bottles. It is double insulated solid polyurethane foam construction and can chill to 20 degrees C below the outside temperature or on the other side of the coin it can keep stuff warm up to 55 C. 36db fan so pretty quiet and it comes with a 3 year warranty.

I plugged it in on the island to check it was OK. Pleased to say that it does what it says on the tin. :smile:

I have ordered some mains lighting as well in the shape of a 10 globe lamp LED light string. The lamps are 50mm diameter and each lamp contain a 5 LED cluster. The lamps have hanging hooks at the base and each sting of 10 lamps can be added to up to 100 lamps. I ordered warm white. Should come in the next few days, UK supplier. Will definitely need a top box on the car now for tripping out. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If not a small trailer Ian!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sue's word 'glamping' took my attention. It looks a more civilised way of camping as an in-between a full chalet and damp ground. Ideal for those with a bit of comfort gear.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Still not glamping just a bit more practical and comfortable. The photo is suffering from hobbit effect and looks a lot bigger than what it is. It's actually only a tad larger than the "inert" cool box that you have to half fill with ice blocks that we normally take. This has the advantage of having all the room inside available for use:smile:

Light's are lights you either have them or you are in the dark. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Could you power that cooler with a portable solar panel plus battery system so you could be off grid?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, it will run off a 12V supply as well, It has the lead for running it from an accessory or cigarette lighter socket. Thing is once you have paid for the electric hookup in your pitch tariff the electric is free, so why complicate matters carting solar panels and batteries about? We also run the risk in this country of not necessarily seeing the sun although it can be fine. The electric supply gets rid of the variables.

I have just picked up a roof box, exactly the same model I used to have. Came free gratis as Heather (Calluna as was) and Elaine now have a small trailer for their gear and higher roofed car which made the box a bit impractical. I just needs some spares by the way of the U brackets and wing nuts for securing it to the bars, temporarily lost at the moment somewhere, probably put in that "safe place" we all have then forgotten about. :extrawink:

I reckon Ebay will be able to sort me out there. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I got a replacement U bolt and wing nuts set for the top box and drilled out the fixing points to suite. It will now sit on 68 - 72cm centres between bars. We fitted it to another friends car yesterday as they are going up country on holiday next week and needed a bit more storage space. It will be back in time for our hoped for jaunt up to Knight Stainforth, if the lads up there will still have us from Pendle. I will sound Chris out some time next week as they have no availability on site until after the bank holiday. We are hoping to go for a few days in September.

I have ordered a 10m extension for the 16A hookup lead that will cover any site requirements that we choose to visit. They all recommend having 25m extension cable available. I have 15m on the reel and a spare 10m if needed. I have also ordered all the bits to make a couple of switched lighting leads with LED lamps to go with them. I ordered enough cable to make two separate leads, I can put one in the inner tent and one in the outer tent area, each will be individually switchable.

Oh, and we picked up a small plastic electric kettle from Asda the other day. 1.7L for just over £6.00 cant complain at that. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Do you remember those small 12v heating elements you dropped straight into the mug to heat the water? We used to make a jury-rig one out of a tin can and a piece of dowel. Worked well but blew fuses when used on the mains!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 02:47 Do you remember those small 12v heating elements you dropped straight into the mug to heat the water?
Yes - vividly! In the barracks in Germany nearly everyone had one for a brew in your room. We called them 'curly pokers'. Problem was they had no built in safety features and had o be attended carefully. Next door didn't do that, and it had boiled off the contents of the mug, got red hot, and burnt through the plastic mug and the table top when it was noticed. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That brings back memories David! Thanks.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our tent carpet got very mucky on the last trip with the amount of rain we had. We have two small rubber boot wipe doormats that we got from Aldi but they were fighting a losing battle against the wet field. There are no washing instructions on the carpet which is made from 100% polyester on a waterproof backing. There is a small square mat so we shoved that in the washer first on a low heat cycle, it came out OK. We repeated it yesterday on the main carpet not as successfully as it is quite big for the washer at 2.6m x 2.4m, not a lot of room for it to slosh about. It didn't quite dry on the line yesterday so we will shove it out again today and then give it a vac, that should bring it up.

On the suspect air beam problem mentioned in the other thread. I have not had any reply from Camping Resources yet but I did manage to find a replacement rear air beam tube for the Horizon 4 tent on the GoOutdoors website. It was on offer at £15 from the normal retail of £29.00 so I have ordered it. It may come tomorrow which is when we are planning to shove the tent up to dry it off fully. We can give the rear beam a proper coat of looking at while the canopy is drying. I have watched one or two YouTube videos on air beam replacement and it only looks like a ten minute job or thereabouts. Checking what air beams are available did confirm that the front two on the Horizon are longer than the back beam.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterday was a good drying day so we took the tent and footprint up Letcliffe Park. Found a nice spot on the former pitch and put course (around about hole 8) as I remember the course. We put it up and deployed the guys as well, little breeze but they dried better fully deployed. It took about an hour to get the canopy and guys dry enough to repack. Managed to get it compressed to the smallest that we have ever managed and the footprint rolled tight enough to get it back properly in its stuff sack. If we don't go out again this year the tent is OK now for storage.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought about you. Good day for it apart from it being so calm.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Camping”