Knight Stainforth Here We Come

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Knight Stainforth Here We Come

Post by PanBiker »

Took the tent up Letcliffe for a first pitching prior to our trip up to Knight Stainforth.

Pitching took less than ten minutes:

We only pegged the corners to stop it catching the breeze. About 20 depressions of the pump per beam to get it upright.

We didn't bother with the rest of the pegging or any of the guy lines so it looks a bit saggy. The airbeams are about 3" diameter when inflated and as solid as conventional poles. The guys have convenient integral storage nets for storage without tangling when packing.

The inner tent in this particular variant of the model is made from blackout material which will help in getting a bit of a lie in. :smile: You can see the zipped ingress for a power cable into the sleeping quarters at the lower right and the integral storage pockets at the left, there are more storage compartment at both sides of the inner tent.

The pitching will be quicker next time and the packing easier as we have managed to get it smaller than when we packed it last time on our failed deployment attempt when the pump broke.

I reckon this will do us just fine for the remainder of our camping jaunts. It's about three times bigger than our last tent.

I will put some more pictures up when we have pitched it properly when we get on site.

I can book online for Stainforth but I think we will call in tomorrow on our way back from supporting our Carla who is walking the Three Peaks with a few friends. We are meeting them with provisions and sustenance at Ribblehead when they will be the right side of Penyghent and the trek over Black Dub Moss, they will be about 8 or 9 miles into the 24 mile route with Whernside ahead, they should be there by about 10 to 10.30am if they are on track for the challenge of completing in less than 12 hours. Sally and I did it in 10 hours when we were a lot younger. I had to pull out at Ribblehead the last time I attempted the route as a fundraising challenge as I strained my knee coming off a ladder stile on the final approach to Ribblehead. Climbed them all individually many times since, Penyghent still my favourite though. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Knight Stainforth Here We Come

Post by Stanley »

Looks very serviceable. Great advance on the ones I was used to.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We did our support bit up at Ribblehead this morning for the 17 thirty something's doing the Three Peaks. All made it OK and we vended a choice of hot and cold drinks, water top up and cereal, choc bars, nuts and stuff as replenishment supplies. About 9 miles in with 15 miles and two more mountains to go. For some it's their first time and they have this challenge on their bucket lists. They arrived as expected at around 10.15 and were off again after a 15 or 20 minute break. There were hundreds doing the route in varying group sizes. One thing I noticed was that the route from Penyghent over to Ribblehead has been diverted somewhat from when I did it last. It exits out onto the road not far the other side of Selside leaving about a two mile stretch on the road! Coming off the moor it used to go straight on following the Pennine Way partly and then over Gods Bridge and straight on through the fields to Ribblehead, got to be easier on the feet the old way than the new! Anyway we saw them off towards the viaduct and on towards Whernside. They will all be tipping up later for a takeaway tea of choice to be consumed at the Bosom Friends Centre along with banter and a wind down.

We took the opportunity to call in at Knight Stainforth on the way back and book our pitch for a few days. End of season is approaching in about a month and we are out of holiday season so there is no problem of availability, we can arrive and pitch at any time tomorrow. The campsite looks a lot more modern and upmarket than the last time we camped there which from memory was for a weekend testing out the Coleman frame tent that we had just got to replace the one we lost on the Mull of Kintyre a couple of weeks before. Mind you, that was over 30 years ago! :smile:

When I was about 14 I nearly took my eye out with a section of detached fencing wire when I was exploring the far bank of the river when camping on this site as well. That was over 50 years ago and a very vivid memory of an emergency trip to the surgery in Settle to get sorted out. I will be more careful if retracing my steps on this visit. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I was just thinking my previous camping trips to Stainforth have always been eventful. Nearly blinded by the fencing wire where I blinked at the right time. :good: The wire hit me in the eye and exited through my eyelid and tore it right across. I unhooked myself to get back to the tent, was with my brother and his girfriend, they ran me to the surgery to get sorted, ointment, patch and a tetanus jab. Had a belting shiner for a few weeks!

The Coleman trip was late July and we decided to climb Penyghent. Two thirds of the way to the top we had a flash snowstorm followed by lashing rain and a very stiff wind. We had all our walking gear including waterproofs so could ride it out with Carla and Dan in a sheep depression at the side of the path until it bated. Dozens of folk streamed off the top, many totally unequipped for a jaunt onto a mountain. Shorts, T shirts and flip flops or sandals for some of them, sodden and frozen with the wind chill. We had the top of the hill to ourselves after it had cleared. :smile:

I will be extra careful this time. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You know what I always say about wether and appropriate clothing...... You reaped the benefit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here we go, first outing up at Knight Stainforth and fully pitched.

In the first picture you can see where the inflation valves are on the airbeams, that have their own covers fastened down by velcro.

Other side.

Front living area, shows the side door from the inside, half window half mesh or you can fully open the side.

The other side window has half mesh and half window as well but no door.

You can see the carpet which is hard wearing fleece material on a groundsheet backing. This has a tendency to slip and I can see a modification is in order. The carpet is shaped to be a perfect fit for the front living area and is shaped with half circle cut outs that abut the bottom of the front two airbeams. These are solid and their heavy rip-stop casings are grounded at each side of the internal groundsheet and secured on 2" square velcro pads. I will modify the carpet with some brass eyelets at each side of the semicircle cut outs and then make up some shock cord (bungee) ties with sliding toggles to suit the eyelets. I can pass these around the airbeams and then use the toggles to tension, this will secure the four main corners of the carpet and should stop it sliding around

I though of using ready made up small bungee cable with hooks but as we are deploying at groundsheet level I though plastic toggle would be the safer option to maintain groundsheet integrity. I will get the same shock cord that is used on the main flysheet and it will come in handy for replacements there as well.

We had a nice three days on the site and it managed to stay dry all three days. Nights were cold once the sun went down and we were in bed by 8.30 every night. The internal sleeping area blackout worked well and we managed 12 hours sleep every night. The cold nights were accompanied by heavy dew and the tent was wet every morning. No sign of any water ingress although despite the ventilation built into the tent there was a build up of condensation. I doubt this will be a problem during the earlier summer months. We were plenty warm enough as we decided to take a feather duvet rather than our sleeping bags. We put a cover on the air-bed but in future this could also benefit by using a padded mattress cover as well to help smooth out some of the dimples!

The site itself is maintained to very high standard, relatively new toilet and shower block always kept clean. The site has been running now for over 90 years and still by the same family. It was the current two brothers (Chris and Paul's) grandfather that first offered his fields for Scottish Scouts to camp back in 1927 and it has been operating as a campsite ever since. Now diversified to accommodate tents, caravans, mobile homes and they also have 50 static holiday homes (all privately owned) and a cottage property on site for rent. Quite a bit of tree planting down by the river bank and the site is split by planted hedges that act as windbreaks. Security barrier entrance to the site operated by a key fob issued on registration or a numeric keypad for if you don't have the fob with you. Same system gives access to the toilets, shower and laundry block. There is children's play area on the site at the bottom of the top field more or less central to the site. Barriers are disabled between 11pm and 7am but there is a car park outside the barriers for use when they are down. CCTV is in use across the site which covers the different camping fields and touring areas and vehicular access routes for added security.

When I first visited 50 years ago the campsite was one or two large fields below Knight Stainforth Hall which was also the office for the site. Can't remember the toilet block but I think it was somewhere up at the top. The lads running it now have no knowledge as they were not born when I first camped there. It is now split into separate areas for grass pitches or hard standing (with or without electric hook up and water). The Static holiday homes are all in their own area as the need fully plumbed in facilities etc. Site has distributed free WiFi and a centrally monitored security system for the holiday homes which also all have a broadband internet connection available. Toilet and shower block is relatively new as already mentioned as is the site office, reception and "Knights Table" restaurant and cafe on the site. This is up at the entrance opposite the Hall. The family still maintain a working farm adjacent to the site as well. The Maudsley's have been farming in the Ribble Valley for six centuries, so you could say they are pretty well established!

We put our Bosom Friends trustee hats on and had a chat with Paul about and idea that the group are keen to get off the ground. We are hunting around for a suitable site to buy and maintain a holiday home that we can offer to folk that we are helping. A respite care sanctuary if you will. We have set one or two criteria in that it must be within 30 - 45 minutes drive away, as we are supporting some who may be quite vulnerable or at different stages of treatment we don't want the journey time to be too onerous. It needs to have the safety net as well of not being too far from anyone's medical support base. We would like to extend the facility not just to those that are undergoing treatment but their families and support rocks as well who in many cases are run ragged by the roles that they have been thrust into. We are looking to provide a little platform to step off the roller coaster from time to time, somewhere to get your head back together. That's the plan anyway, our younger trustees have other sites in mind also, we will visit a few and see what we can come up with. We had a nice chat with Paul who understood exactly where we were coming from as they supported their dad who had his own battle with cancer in later life. They appreciate the burden and strain that it can put on a family having to provide a caring role at the same time as keeping house and home together. He gave us some details and costings which we will be taking to our trustees meeting tonight.

Knight Stainforth Hall
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds well organised Ian. That's a good idea about the respite home..... I wish you well with it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Contacted Chris last night about a booking for the site. OK for next week the day after I have been to blood donors. Looking forward to it. Stuff for my tent lighting has turned up today. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was refreshing my memory about the respite facility Ian. Did it get any further?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hands are tied at the moment Stanley, with access to sites and fund raising efforts for the group. Also that the group is currently ham stringed with regard to meetings, visits, use of our centre etc. We elected to make it our priority project for 2020 but that all went belly up. I will check with Paul and Chris about their status with the new units they were intending to develop that may have served our purpose while we are are on site next week.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Understood Ian and I thought that would be the case. It's a worthy aim and I know you will keep pursuing it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The logistics of today's delivery services sometimes makes you think. I reported in another thread that I had ordered a 10m 16A extension lead to compliment our 15m electrical hookup reel for camping. I made sure that I ordered from a UK company based in Burntwood, Staffordshire. The carrier was designated as Royal Mail 2nd Class with a delivery date of last Monday or Tuesday, the order was flagged as being dispatched last Sunday. By yesterday I was getting a bit worried that my item may be lost in the post and was going to contact the supplier if nothing turned up today.

Happy to report that the knock came on the door this morning. Looking at the packaging, the sender is shown as the company in Staffordshire that I ordered from but the package has been via Jersey Airport and then passed to Royal Mail who did indeed tip up with it this morning. The leads are made up to custom lengths to order and the PAT testing label all support it's manufacture by the events management firm in Staffordshire. What is even more surprising is that the lead, which is fully up to spec cost me all of £15.00 and included free postage for it's circuitous route from no more than two hours down the M6 by road but via air freight in the Channel Islands, beggars belief really. :surprised: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right, that routing takes some weighing up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Second class parcel post via Royal Mail for that weight is £3.10 how does that compare against carriage in the wrong direction, two hops on a plane, (it had to get to Jersey) and then road carriage back when it landed, even the whole price of the goods doesn't even cover the petrol. No worries, I have my lead. :extrawink:

On the camping expedition, waiting for our mate Neil to bring the top box and bars back. Its been up on the NE coast for the week. Sally had numerous lists on the go for our camping trips, she has spent half an our collating them all into one. I have a list for the tent and all the stuff that goes inside, air bed, pumps, camp kitchen, stove, gas, lighting, table, chairs etc. Sally has the list for everything else.

I'm going to take my Moxon antenna that I built a couple of years ago. It has never been tested so now is the time. I will take my portable multimode 2m transceiver to give it a whirl. Chris might be interested in it as he is also holds an amateur radio licence.
Ian
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Stanley wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 02:40 You're right, that routing takes some weighing up!
It's a bit like posting a letter from Bracewell to Barnoldswick less than a mile away. The letter would be picked up from Bracewell and taken via Skipton to the mail centre at Leeds. It would then travel overnight from Leeds to the Preston mail centre where it would be put on a lorry from Preston to Barnoldswick (hopefully the following day...!)
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think the Royal Mail has done a great job to cope with the current circumstances. Following the information I got when I said hill farmers were inefficient - I think best leave it all to them. They know what works. :smile:

I have a vague memory that small packages from China are charged at a ridiculously cheap rate, as a result of an international agreement. I believe they are cheaper that posting something in UK.

A very quick google reveals - and I guess that the UK situation is the same -

Under the current system, China is classed as a developing country and China Post, the state-owned postal service, consequently pays a low fee, known as a “terminal due”, for each parcel that is delivered by the destination country’s postal service.
This fee is currently around a third of the cost of shipping a parcel within the US, allowing Chinese ecommerce companies to undercut their US rivals. Recent years have seen a huge boom in Chinese retailers using marketplaces such as Amazon and Alibaba to ship to the west, while the United States Postal Service has lost roughly $1 on every small package that arrives from China.

Maybe that Mr Trump has a point? :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I posted this in another thread, the organisation used by Ebay traders over in China is this:

SpeedPAK

Back on topic, we had occasion to go to Keighley yesterday so took the opportunity to pick up some bits and bobs for the camping trip. We found a nice 10L collapsible water carrier and some small pans a plastic chopping board and a box with fitting lid to keep the lights and cabling in. I favour shoving as much into plastic boxes as possible, makes packing a lot easier. We already have two medium sized ones for existing gear which I think I will go through this afternoon to check that all is present and correct. Neil brought the roof box back an hour ago so we refitted the bars and box onto my motor. Happy to see that the box clears the roof mounted car radio antenna and will not impact the mount for my mobile transceiver antenna. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

All packed and ready for the off. Having a brew and relaxing for a bit as we can't book onto the site until 13.00. All gear in or on the car in the roof box, bit of spare room in the back actually but we could not manage without the box. Chucked a bit of a shower here but hoping to get the tent up this afternoon in the dry. I have packed all the wherewithal for pitching last for easy access.

Shouldn't be a dramatic as the folk we helped last year when we up at Robin Hoods Bay, first time campers and they were trying to pitch a nice sized four person frame tent in a constant gusty 30mph wind coming off the sea They made the mistake of fully erecting the frame and then tried to throw the canopy over the roof. Not going to happen. Myself and another seasoned camper pointed them the right way and took the legs off the frame just leaving the roof. Chuck the canopy over and temporary peg on the windward side. Put the first lift in, re-peg, second lift, re-peg, job done hang the inner tent, keep the doors shut as much as possible. :extrawink:

I don't need to open the doors on ours until the groundsheet is pegged down beams are pumped up and the guys are out. having a footprint for the tent is an added advantage. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nobody could accuse you of not being organised Ian! Hope it all went well. It was a nice quiet night last night and I thought about you and Sally snug as a bug in a rug. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still thinking about you two this morning. I hope you are having better weather than we are down here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Arrived on site just after 1 pm and saw Chris in the temporary reception which has been moved to a portacabin near the site barriers. He said he knew it was me as he spotted the mobile antenna on the car as we turned into the site off the lane. Like visiting shops, masks are mandatory for interaction with the staff and they also recommend you wear hem when when using the shared facilities such as the washing up area and laundry, those are limited to one person at a time. Chris had allocated us pitch 44 but he said that we could pitch on any of the electrical hookup bays as long as we notified him if we chose a different one.

Weather was overcast but dry so pitching the tent went smoothly, not too much of a breeze so the tent was up and guyed in about 15 minutes. There was an electrical hookup pole with a tap for drinking water directly behind the tent so I only needed the 15m reel to get power into the tent. The Horizon has zipped ingress points for cables in the outer canopy and another in the inner tent so that you can get power into there. I put the reel just inside near the door. The reel has USB charging ports and the inner tent has adjacent storage pockets so it's very handy for plugging mobiles and tablets in to charge overnight. I ran another 4 gang reel from the inner tent, back out into the front of the tent. I put the reel beside the camp kitchen so that we could plug in the cool box, lighting and the kettle. We use the bottom tier of our original camp kitchen which is a small folding wire framed platform. It's handy for standing the gas bottle on for the stove, now also provides a handy place for the kettle. I made up two lighting leads but only deployed one. I clipped the inline switch for the lights onto the side of the camp kitchen and looped the lead onto the lantern clip point above the inner tent door. LED lamp in the holder generates no appreciable heat so safe for use in the tent. Provided plenty of light but could do with a small shade to just diffuse it slightly.

I was nicely tired by the time we had deployed all the rest of the kit and ready for my tea. Looking forward to a nice few days whatever the weather gave us. Tea sorted so I played radio for a bit and had a natter to couple of friends Ray in Winewall and Art over in Nelson, both good signals into Little Stainforth. Signed with them as it started to get dark. Had a brew then went up to the facilities for a wash and clean teeth etc. The shared toilet and shower facilities are well organised like the washing up and laundry. Alternate toilets are locked to provide social distancing, the washbasins are the same with fitted covers on alternate sinks, the gents have three screen segregated sinks which are still all in use. I took the opportunity to check the showers which were the same, 4 showers in the gents block but alternate ones locked and out of use. Statutory notices for hand washing and distancing all over the block and the floor marked out with distancing grids. Al in all well organised under extreme circumstance. I was in bed by 9pm, proper dark by then and probably asleep within 5 minutes.

II needed the loo at 11pm and this is where it went a bit pear shaped for me, I had the runs! Back to the tent and back to bed, up again at 1.30am, repeat, toilet, bed, 3am same, 4.30am same. I felt pretty rubbish by then. Fortunately it stayed fine through the night and there was a nearly full moon which lit up the paths and revealed all the rabbits exploring the site. I saw a stoat as well as a patrolling barn owl doing it's stuff. Not in the right frame of mind to enjoy the night time visitors though, just trying to hold body and soul together. Went to the loo again at 5.30am but I was pretty empty and hoping it would stay that way as Chris had mentioned that the shared facilities were closed off each day for deep cleaning between 5.30 and 7am and again between 1pm and 3pm. During daylight hours there is a toilet up in the main building that can be used. I was up early, not really had much sleep at all so as soon as Sally had breakfast we drove down into Settle to the supermarket (Booths) and Sally nipped in a secured me some Immodium. I took two according to instruction and we drove back to the site.

Sally went for a walk while I generally felt sorry for myself, I noticed I had started to cough. Not really up for anything to be quite honest, cold have packed up and come home but didn't have the energy. Moped about until dinner time, went through the shower mid morning which did make me feel a bit better although dog tired. I did think at that time that it was probably not the best plan to go camping straight after blood donors when your iron levels have taken a whack. At the sessions of course they do advise not to do strenuous exercise or activities for 24 hours, ooops! Magic tablets seemed to have done the trick but I was still running on empty so I had two slices of toast for my dinner. Very hungry by tea time so I made myself bacon egg and tomato for my tea. All still quiet, went for a short walk after tea down by the river which was running dark brown with the level of water, not far but all I could manage on the energy levels I had.

We were in bed at 8.30pm It had started raining, slept through a solid 12hours it was still raining. Cough was now accompanied by a sore throat, not infected just raw but again it was holding me down, out of sorts. We decided to have take away from the site restaurant on two nights so I had a chicken and sweet chilli wrap with chips which was very nice. Sally had a three cheese pie with chips. Sally kept up her walks over the weekend but had picked up the cough on Saturday night. Sunday Sally had a vegetable curry and I had beef cobbler, again excellent. The site is still taking bookings for the Knights Table restaurant but on a restricted booking basis to maintain the distancing rules. ey have increased the takeaway menu which essentially is the same as what is on offer in the restaurant but it comes in a bag. You agree a time when you book and collect, food was always piping hot and they haven't hiked the priced to make up for a reduced footfall. Site fees are the same and we also noticed that hey have waived the usual £10 deposit on the card key for the barrier entrance to the site. This was previously refunded when you checked out and returned the card. It now works on a "less handling" honesty system. You get the card when you check in, no deposit and there is a postbox on the side of the portacabin for you to return the card when you depart. The barrier cards are plastic credit card sized. I assume they will empty the box and probably spay disinfect the cards before putting them back into circulation. The fact that you have returned the card indicates that you have left the site.

Apart from the first day it rained pretty hard every other day. The tent performed well, it has a 4000mm hydrostatic head and turned all the heavens could chuck at it. By Sunday we felt that it would be prudent to get another test so Sally went online to the Gov.uk site to book one for Monday afternoon, we thought we would probably have to go to Nelson but there was no availability in the afternoon. We found that we could get 11.30 to 12pm at the Settle venue so booked for that. It hammered it down through the night and the field was very wet by the morning. it was still raining lightly when we went up for a wake up shower. Sally had packed the food and I had packed the stove and camp kitchen the night before, we just kept back the cereal and brewing up tackle. We were showered and sorted with breakfast by 8.30am. It had stopped raining by then and the tent would dry within an hour or two if it stayed fine but we didn't have the luxury of the time. I put my new waterproof walking boots on and my waterproof over trousers. I packed the top box first and then loaded the back leaving enough space to take the tent once packed. We took out the inner tent to give more room for manoeuvre.

We found a slight problem with the tent when we removed the inner. The rear air beam seems to be oversized! It has a kink in it when inflated as it does not fit in the sewn in channel for the beam. The front two beams are the same size but the back one should be shorter as the rear of the tent slopes away slightly. Front two beam channels are colour coded red and the back one is coded yellow. I think our tent has three beams the same size!

The beams are encased in their own zipped heavy duty canvas jackets then inserted through the sewn in channels of the flysheet. The beams are about 3" in diameter once inflated and each end of the beams jacket has a large velcro pad on the bottom which attaches to mating velcro pads on the integral groundsheet that keeps them firmly fixed.

Guys out, wrapped and stowed in the provided net pockets to keep them tidy. We rattled the tent on the air beams to shake most of the water off, Sally followed round with a couple of spare tea towels to give the canopy a bit of a wipe. Still wet of course but every little helps and you don't really want to end up with water inside once the tent is packed. The air-beams deflate quickly once you unscrew the captive valves on each beam, the valve bore is about 1" across. Everything tided inside and the tent is then folded from the back to chase the remainder of the air from the beams. Sky was threatening so we didn't do a perfect job on the packing, got it small enough one way or the other to get within the scope of the compression straps on the tent bag which is an open flat cross shaped design of ripstop nylon with sewn in compression straps. Folded tent in the middle sides folded up and strapped, front and back overlapped and straps pulled up there, it has integral webbing loops for handling. It was quite a bit heavier when it was wet. The less than perfect oversized packing is irrelevant as we will need to pitch it again at the earliest opportunity to dry it off properly. Last thing to pack was the footprint which is the muckiest job as the bottom has always picked up some mud, more so when it has been chucking it down fr the last few days. No point in trying to clean it off while packing, too big and too mucky. That will come out again and get washed off with the hose pipe in the street and allowed to dry.

We left the site at 11.15am and deposited our barrier card in the post box. Made our way to the Rugby Club to get our Covid test as reported in another thread. If we are spared on that front we are still hoping for another outing somewhere this year, Sally fancies somewhere on the coast, we'll see. :smile:

With regard to the suspect dodgy beam. I have messaged the supplier that we got the tent from. It's out of any warranty of course but I thought as they process hundreds of manufacturers returns they may be a good starting point for a potential replacement. They may have plenty of tents that are too damaged to resell but maybe strip for spares. I don't mind paying a bob or two to get it sorted.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting report Ian. What a shame you had the handicaps of health and weather. Still, knowing you, you'll have taken some positives out of it! Hope the next trip out goes better. Just one day of Margaret's weather would have been nice!
Glad the results were clear. We forget that common colds are still about!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I do hope your next holiday is better too.
(Reminds me of our last “summer” holiday in the van, when the weather let us down and made it almost impossible to do much. Wind, hail, snow, frost, heavy rain...wet clothes everywhere...in bed by 7pm because it was the only place warm...not to mention some very dodgy campsites. Ah...we do love a good holiday.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You both make home seem very attractive!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

All part of Life’s Rich Tapestry!
(We always have Imodium, Paracetamol, etc packed in the first aid box...plus eye drops, as I get itchy eyes if pollens or grasses are a problem. I can’t take allergy tablets because they disagree with me and make me feel weird. Oh! And loads of bandaids because hubby is always injuring himself and dripping blood.)

Return to “Camping”