Getting on...(camper van tales)

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: Getting on...(camper van tales)

Post by Marilyn »

Back home, van emptied, washing done. Just the bedding to do tomorrow. Everything has a square edge, as Stanley would say.
Full of odd aches and pains today in my elbows and back...can't think why, as I've not done anything unusual and the caravan bed was comfy. Must be because we had to come home?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's just dawned on me! I know the source of my aches and pains in elbows/neck/back...and I feel like such a twit.
One of the books I bought from the op shop is very big and heavy. I've been reading it quite a bit and every time I did, I would say to Dave "gosh...this book is so heavy...it is an effort to hold it". It would make a wonderful doorstop.
It's the damn book wots done it! :laugh5:
And I think the elbows are sore from holding it up to read while reclining.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean Maz. My present book, the Last Lion vol. 3 is a monster 1600 pages and I have had to modify how I hold it. No way I could support it with my arms!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The strangest thing is, that with all my weird twinges today, I became more and more aware of a stinging sensation on my back. Finally tonight I got hubby to investigate because it was quite tender every time I sat back against the lounge chair.
He said it looked as if I had been clawed by a lion! Big/deep scratch marks...very red and angry looking. Gosh...where did they come from? I don't remember any injury.
I am off for a warm bath...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Vampire attack?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Very hot today 39C. We are backed against a bank of trees so we have been in shade this afternoon, but it is still horrid outside. Comfortable inside with the air-conditioning on. As it is almost sunset, we keep turning the cooling off and have the windows open, preferring to catch a breeze. ( the air-conditioning keeps getting put back on after 5 mins because it is just too warm). No breeze to be had.
Tomorrow will be 41C. Hoping to get out for a long walk early before the heat sets in for the day.
Nipped over to the Ladies and discovered 4 women in the throws of examining their sunburn and about to shower. All very badly sunburnt! They won't sleep well at all tonight! ( shockingly sunburnt...Beetroot red).
I suggested Paracetamol and loads of water to drink. ( only water, lots of it, and no alcohol). But they are still going to be in agony...silly sods!
It's so warm I think we may as well sleep on top of our beds and not bother getting in them.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I mentioned on Pennine Weather that when I brought my freshly washed and dried towels off the clothesline today that they were so hot , as if they had just been ironed. :surprised:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to say we have a very pleasant (for this time of year) temperature of around 8C.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Had a long walk this morning, but back in the hutch by lunchtime as it was 39C. Plenty to do ( reading/quizzes/movies/tv and snoozing...and we have a minature chess set if we get too bored). Lovely and cool indoors.
We will be a lot less comfy if there is a power outage! Fingers crossed that doesn't happen!
It is a shame about the weather as there is so much we could have done, but just walking to the loo saps our energy.
Keeping up the fluids...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Much more pleasant this morning. Still hot but decent cloud cover is keeping the worst of the sun away. Long walk was had and we picked up a couple of fresh rolls, a few slices of ham and an avocado on the way home...so that is lunch!
The shops were all open but not too packed. Mince Tarts were half price, but hubby said he couldn't fit another one in. Hot Cross Buns in the supermarkets too.
Sitting out with the newspaper and a large glass of mineral water doing a spot of people-watching. One thing we have both noticed is that people here are less friendly than our own town. We keep saying Good Morning to folk and they don't bother answering!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hot X buns now? Have they no shame?
Glad you're surviving the heat.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 03:08 Hot X buns now? Have they no shame?
It's still 11 weeks to pancake day and the shops are already selling flour and eggs :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Very witty, Kev, that brightened my day, thanks! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
How's it going Maz? Still as hot? Margaret says they have been having the same in Perth.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Much more bearable today. We have had to call back through the city to celebrate two birthdays. Home by sun down I hope. It's been a long day!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret has just reported that it's in the upper 20s in Perth, they are going to a wedding.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Will bump this topic that Maz started. She's in transit at the moment and off to the land of nod halfway to their destination at the moment.

I will move it as well into the new sub forum I created for motor homes. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Land of Nod is near Goole.... A long trip for them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Off to Tasmania next month for about 10 days. Taking the Campervan over and back on the overnight ferry (we will have a cabin overnight).
Insurance claims are slow to process - at present our van still has a shattered windscreen from our last trip, and due to cold nights/warm days the cracks have extended greatly. We have been home three weeks now, and have a date to take the van in (next week) to have the windscreen replaced, though the repairer texted us this morning to say our new windscreen arrived "with a manufacturing defect" (?) so they have re-ordered one and still hope they can fit us in next week if it arrives in time. Length of time they required the vehicle for the refitting went from "three hours" to "an entire day" to "can we leave it overnight?". Whilst the windscreen is covered by insurance, any other work that needs to be done (e.g. removal of rust or touch up painting or new rubbers), is at our expense.
We have put of giving it a thorough clean until we get it back from the repairer.
My back was giving me problems by the time we got back from the trip North. We had encountered some pretty rough roads (some unsealed), plus the cold weather didn't help (everything hurts more when it is cold doesn't it?). Should be OK for the trip though. 10 days is much more manageable that the 4 week stretch we did up North. Doctor has threatened me with another MRI if I don't report positive improvement by next week.
( :biggrin2: I have no intention of having another MRI...my back is fine...she says through gritted teeth...)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a good trip Maz. I hope that both your back and windscreen problems get resolved quickly!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Caravan & Motor Homes”