Getting on...(camper van tales)

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Getting on...(camper van tales)

Post by Tizer »

It looks like Eton boys are as good at Australian camper van holidays as they are at running Britain! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Par for the course, but they are young Tiz......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Off tomorrow on another 2 night adventure in the camper. Heading for the hills this time, to the historic German town of Hahndorf, in the Adelaide Hills. Should be fun. Lots to see and do, quaint shops galore, loads of places to eat, and markets on Saturday. Not taking the bikes this trip, so plenty of walking.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a nice little trip..... Cooler in the hills?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Thanks for the pictures. A great way of enjoying yourselves. I explore our local area when my friend comes to stay with me. We go by public transport and stay overnight in small hotels and get to some interesting places where some of the residents have never seen a foreigner.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: so you take a mate, not the wife, China? ( how is your wife...missing you and getting homesick?)
( travelling with a mate is totally fine...but we prefer each other's company and if others want to travel with us, they have their own vans and we "camp" side by side. The important thing is to get away. See a bit of life! We have a neighbour who is 70 and on his own, with his own little van, so he does it solo. I've been tempted to ask him along on one of our adventures, but he may be quite happy on his own. I think we need to get to know him better first.)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Marilyn wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 07:19 :laugh5: so you take a mate, not the wife, China? ( how is your wife...missing you and getting homesick?)
She is fine in California but a bit homesick. She wants to come home but her daughter had her baby girl on 8th February so she is busy now. I don't think she'll get away early and will probably stay the full 6 months as planned. I'm quite happy with that.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A new baby! She won't have time to feel homesick now...lucky lady!

Just about to head off. All packed and ready to roll but hubby is hovering about, answering work emails, before packing his computer in the van. He will work on whatever comes in when we get there.
Son messaged last night and said he (and girlfriend and dog) may book a site near us for one night to try out their new tent. ( could we pack extra food and drinks please? :laugh5: ). Mother has obliged. Those two have hearty appetites so I've got food packed everywhere!
He sent us photo of the tent in its brand new, unopened box. It will be a great laugh watching them put it up. Why he bought a 10 man tent when he is just a single bloke...is a mystery. Him and his girlfriend argue a bit, so maybe they need space for neutral territory? It will be hilarious to watch them argue with each other putting that tent up the first time, especially if my Febby "assists", because he will just throw the instructions over his shoulder...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

34C and "tropical" at our campsite. Just resting in the air conditioning with a cold Ginger Beer before making any rash decisions about what to do next. It doesn't "do" to rush things when on holiday...even if it's only 2 nights "up the road".
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

0C calm and dry here Maz. Enjoy yourselves....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have had a wonderful stay in Hahndorf...a magical place.
The weather has been strange, with hot gusty winds yesterday that were a bit wearing. Got up at 2am to walk to the loo and found myself in a thick mist, though it was still warm. ( I stepped out the van and thought my eyeballs needed cleaning for a thick mist was the last thing I expected. We had removed all our upper bedding and were sleeping without covers, so I pulled hubby's sheet over him when I got back from the loo, and pulled mine up as well. Not that it was cool, and we had been sleeping with our windows wide open!)
Woke to a cool drizzle about 06.30 am, and it rained most of the morning.
We walked the town ( with umbrellas) and explored the shops and markets. Bought some lovely local cheeses and enjoyed them with wine late this afternoon, back at the van.
Dinner was Chicken Curry with Naan Bread, from our freezer.
A really nice couple of days away. Looking forward to our next adventure!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I loved Hahndorf when we visited, bought some lovely souveniers.
Say only a little but say it well.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We enjoy Hahndorf too, Moh.
If there was one thing I could have a little moan about - there was a huge 3 day sports carnival on in the hills this weekend. This meant loads of kids aged 8 -14 in the caravan park (plus younger siblings in many cases). The parents and carers kept them in great check and supervised them in the showers etc...but didn't make the kids clean up after having showers or using hand basins. It is caravan park etiquette to mop showers out after use, but none of the kids were told to do this basic thing for the comfort of others. They were having showers twice a day, before and after sport. I just couldn't face the showers this morning, with noisy kids and muddy puddles and toothpaste everywhere, so I had a bath when I got home!
Last night all of the sports battles had been won or lost and all the children were in high spirits, racing around the park until about 11pm. A car loaded with Pizzas turned up for them all at 10pm, so there was much hooting and hollering over Pizza.
It just got a bit late to be doing all that, we thought.
We avoid school holidays when we book, hoping for a bit of peace and quiet. I wish the receptionist had of told us it would be "kids ville" during our stay.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sleeping with windows open.... Do you have fly screens on the van Maz?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Indeed we do!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Thanks Stanley. There was another collage too. ( below that one on the email)
What are you doing up so early?
The man with the jacket...has a cardboard painted face. He has been hanging up outside a leather goods shop for years, and that jacket gets more grubby every time we see it! We had to go in there and buy hubby a belt, as he remembered to pack trousers but not the belt. He also forgot to pack sufficient heart medication. He only took one day supply instead of two days. There is always something he forgets. I don't know how he manages it...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry Love, I missed that one. I am always up early, I've been doing it all my life and see no reason to change now. It's so quiet and peaceful first thing, apart from demanding women in another time zone.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes but...no but...yes but...Sorry dear boy. I must remember that I am half way through my afternoon and your head is still full of cotton wool. I love the early mornings too. I love being alone with my own thoughts in the twighlight. Best time of the day, and it gives my a mental charge. Colours are sharper at dawn and everything is fresh and new and quiet. It's the best time to reflect on life, loved ones lost, and memories etc in a very peaceful way.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Heading off again next month. A bit further this time!
Going to Echuca ( in Victoria, on the river). Looks like a nice spot with lots of river boat history and a famous old wharf.
Taking about 8 or 9 days so no rushing about. Avoiding Easter holidays and School Holidays in two states. :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, watch out you don't find one of those tiny but deadly snakes like a kid found in his lunch box this week! :surprised:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It wouldn't have a chance against Maz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Gosh...I don't know. I'm pretty terrified of snakes. Don't know if my thong off/whack/slap/despatch routine would work.
One has to have the greatest respect for snakes, and ( thankfully) I've never been tested beyond a brown snake crossing my path about 3 metres ahead of where I was walking.
We were walking by the creek today ( fully booted as I won't go near the creek this weather otherwise). We heard a rustle...and I have to admit I felt that kick in the kidney area of Adrenalin and pure fear. We didn't stick around to see what it was. I was in flight mode, heart racing, legs like a Gazelle!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The snake was tiny...but deadly. Here's the BBC report and photo: Snake in lunchbox
It's the small size that bothers me. I'd steer away from a big python but that one in the photo looks like a lovely little critter and I'd want to pick it up and have a closer look... :surprised:

Return to “Caravan & Motor Homes”