Global Moderator

Re: LOSING WEIGHT

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Belle, but it ain't easy!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

500 calories a day! I do that for breakfast. I'd be dead in a week. Unless there is something seriously wrong with you and then only under medical supervision any drastic dieting could raise all sort of problems. If required, in more "mature" people, weight loss should be done quietly away by reducing what I call comfort foods. That includes beer and wine.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A friend of mine rapidly lost 8st (he had throat cancer). Prior to this he was taking 2000mg of Metformin. He's now in remission and his Metformin has had to be reduced to 500mg. Not a pleasant weight loss method but it does prove the theory. His type 2 diabetes is still under close scrutiny and the medication may change. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if Belle means the 5:2 diet where you eat 500 calories a day for 5 days then eat normal amounts on the other two days [thanks Ian for the correction - I thought I'd copied my words exactly from an NHS web page!] eat normally on 5 days but it restricts you to 500 only on the 2 fasting days, and it's 500 for women and 600 for blokes on those two days. The NHS web page is here:
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/P ... -work.aspx
Of course there is another `500 calories a day diet' but that's where you eat 500 calories less every day.
The primary reason for overweight and obesity worldwide is now simply eating and drinking too much, so that we take in a great excess of calories. All the diets are strategies to get us to do what we don't want to do!
Last edited by Tizer on 30 May 2014, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:I wonder if Belle means the 5:2 diet where you eat 500 calories a day for 5 days then eat normal amounts on the other two days. The NHS web page is here:
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/P ... -work.aspx
Slightly wrong there Tizer. The 5:2 allows you to eat normally on 5 days but restricts you to 500 only on the 2 fasting days, it's 500 for women and 600 for blokes on those two days. I believe Wendy and Colin have been using this method to some success.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that Ian. I'd consulted an NHS web page because I'm not a dieter and I thought I'd copied my words exactly from the page!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sign on a wire fence on the road between Perth and Fremantle "Weight loss. Amputation works!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

plaques wrote:500 calories a day! I do that for breakfast. I'd be dead in a week. Unless there is something seriously wrong with you and then only under medical supervision any drastic dieting could raise all sort of problems. If required, in more "mature" people, weight loss should be done quietly away by reducing what I call comfort foods. That includes beer and wine.
I imagine if I reduced Steve's beer intake I would hear him w(h)ine!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a bugger isn't it! I keep weight constant but do not lose any.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Wendyf »

"Eccles cake and a small apple pie for afters....."
:nooo:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes - and he loses weight on this diet.
I only have to think about an Eccles cake, and it's +1lb. :smile:

Tried the Lidl high protein rolls. Very good - on the list for the future. Very similar to Bergen seeded. I'm surprised there is no list of ingredients easily available at point of sale. Doesn't bother me too much, but anyone with an allergy or intolerance surely needs to know.

They'll be good with pickled herrings - when the weather gets warm enough to put them back on the menu.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I am also intrigued by Stanley's arbitrary "small" used for everything from bread to bowls or plates of food. Looking at some of the quantities that Stanley cooks up on the stove does not help to determine his portion size either.

I monitor by weight or volume every calorie that I consume and take a lot more exercise than Stanley and often end the day with a calorie excess earned from my efforts. I started at 12st 12lb and have made it to 12st 4lb but am finding it difficult to get to my personal target of 11st 7lb.

I will be having some sort of sausage casserole for tea (yet to be constructed). My ingredients will converted to a calorific value for the recipe I end up with. I know that today I currently have 788 calories to play with to stay below my total of 1690 allowance for the day. I will only have a portion of what I cook to the value of about 500 calories the rest will be frozen.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And I don't count calories.... Infuriating isn't it! Small is half a bowl or one standard slice of bread doubled to make a butty. I fast every day from 18:00 until 11:00 the following day and while I can't walk long distances, shed work burns energy off as well. It works, I hover at just over 12 stone.
Yesterday I had a normal size cheese and tomato butty for dinner. Two slices of home made bread. For tea I had the last of the frozen stew and another cheese and tomato butty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

So, 17 hours each day without food and no breakfast. It's a good job you don't do sustained strenuous exercise or long distance walks, you would keel over. I can see why you sometimes get the munchies in the evening. With homemade bread you probably have about 300 - 400 calories in each of your butties (bread and cheese), can't estimate the stew as I cant tell whats in it. With an effective sedentary lifestyle you must be eating somewhat less than your daily calorie requirement hence the weight loss. I could not exist on your regime, to me it seems a bit like fast and binge, 24 hours in a day but you are only working on less than a 30% duty cycle.

Interesting though, bound to work but not a regime that most nutritionists would support I reckon.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been loosely following this, Diabetes UK Low Carb since Christmas, it's had a dramatic improvement on my blood/glucose levels and has had the side effect of weight loss. I'm unable to say how much as I don't weigh myself but a lot of my clothing is now way too big :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have moved the last few topics into here as this thread is more relevant for the subject matter.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never keeled over yet Ian... Perhaps I am an android. The trick is to find the regime that suits your life style and burn off as many calories as you eat. It works for me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:So, 17 hours each day without food and no breakfast.
I would most certainly be hypoglycaemic long before 17 hours had passed especially as I medicate for diabetes, 10 to 11 hours without food overnight is enough for me.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
LizG

Post by LizG »

Stanley wrote:Never keeled over yet Ian... Perhaps I am an android. The trick is to find the regime that suits your life style and burn off as many calories as you eat. It works for me.....
I'm still trying to find one that works for me!!
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote:Never keeled over yet Ian... Perhaps I am an android. The trick is to find the regime that suits your life style and burn off as many calories as you eat. It works for me.....
But you probably would if you tried to walk round Weets. I know you go on two walks with Jack each day but you will only be gaining about 300kcal or so for them. To burn even an average deficit calorie intake off say 1700kcal you would have to do a four mile Weets circular three times a day or something like a 15 -20 mile bike ride. I agree that you need a regime that suits you but the main reason you are losing weight is that you are eating considerably less than your daily calorie requirement.

You commented that you did not generally have anything to eat from 18.00 to 11.00 the following day. Do you not have anything at all before you go out for your early morning walk?

The wartime allowance for a man of average build to keep him fit enough for fighting or working long hours of manual labour was set at 3000 calories a day, slightly more than the 2,500 recommendation of today for a healthy lifestyle.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I thought Stanley had porridge in the morning (time unspecified though from previous posts). The idea of no food after 6pm appears to be a good idea, but I tend to like my midnight nibbles.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I do the same thing, Stanley.
Nothing from "mains" in the evening until about 11am next morning, except I do have coffee when I wake up.
( no coffee in the evenings though)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have my coffee and tea as well Maz. The only other nourishment I have before I have been for second walk is my cod liver oil.... Never caused me any problems with feeling faint and I have no stomach problems whatsoever. Mind you, black pipe tobacco may have nutritional value.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I can't be doing with counting calories. Moderation in all things especially potatoes bread rice and pasta.i just eat normally but less of it. In the last 16 months the I have lost 10 pounds in weight and several inches . I put the latter down to my Pilates. My sewing teacher has had to measure me for a new basic pattern as the old one no longer fits. I lose about 1 pound in 6 weeks or there abouts. I have to eat after 6 as I can't exercise on a full stomach.thus two days a week it is after 8.00. My art class on a Monday doesn't finish till 8.30 so then I eat at 9 but I do have a slice of toast before I go...after French which finishes at 4.45 in Todmorden. The liver is only equipped to store glycogen for about 8-10 hours, ie to get you through the night or day, depending on your lifestyle. So it's not wise to leave it longer before eating.

I have also learnt to stop eating when I am full rather than the way I was brought up....if it's on your plate then eat it. I can no longer eat the big portions I used to eat. I rarely feel hungry, but if I do it goes straight to nausea level and that is usually when I am unable to have my three regular meals a day...ie when travelling. I have never eaten between meals and rarely fancy cakes or biscuit or chocolate. Although I do eat them sometimes. I 'd rather have a sausage roll!

It's a shame that I love baking!
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with all that Sue. These days I can trust my stomach to tell me if I need grub and how much. I put this down to the fact that everything I eat is unprocessed and over the years my body has made the necessary adjustments to my desires for food. I have an idea that this takes a long time to establish and the worst way to damage the mechanism is to try to override it by dieting. The statistics on 'dieting' all point in this direction, it almost always fails. The trick is to train your metabolism to take over consumption control and then trust it! All processed foods are designed to damage this function in order to sell more and make more profit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”