DECIMAL TIME: DUCT

chinatyke
Donor

DECIMAL TIME: DUCT

Post by chinatyke »

Official announcement and Press release from The World Horological Commission

Metrication of Time

The World Horological Commission will introduce the new Universal standard measurement of time at the end of this year. This will be known as Decimal Universal Co-ordinated Time and by the acronym DUCT and replaces Co-ordinated Universal Time UTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

The main changes are as follows:

The SI unit is day. Each day will be divided into 10 hours of 100 minutes. Hours will be known as decidays and minutes as millidays. Each milliday will be subdivided into 100 seconds. The second is not being renamed to avoid confusion. So there will be 100,000 seconds per day compared with 86,400 at the moment. The actual length of the day is derived from one rotation of the Earth and cannot be changed. By increasing the length of the second by the factor 1.000663562 to reflect the true value taken by the Earth’s solar orbit, leap years will be eliminated. The rotation of the Earth is slowing at the rate of 1.47 new ms per 100 years and at that rate it will be necessary to add a new second every 68000 years. One second (DUCT) = 0.8405574 seconds (UTC/SI).

The year will be divided into 10 months. These will be called Unember, Biember, Triember, Quadember, Pentember, Sexember, September, Octember, Nonember and December. There will be 36 days in months 1,3,5,7,9 and 37 days in months 2,4,6,8,10 to give the same total of 365 days per year. The number of days per year is fixed and determined by the period it takes the Earth to travel around the Sun. Both month and year are not SI units, just multiples of the day SI unit. The proposals were ratified by the WHC and will come into effect on 1 Unember 2014.

All international regulatory bodies, including SI, BIPM (http://www.bipm.org/en/home/) have been involved in this change and although other SI units will be unchanged, their values will change where those values are dependant on time. For example the speed of light will be expressed in kilometres per DUCT second and not the UTC second. The names of smaller divisions of the second will be unchanged: millisecond, microsecond, nanosecond, picosecond etc. but the value will be based on the new second (DUCT). This is the primary reason why the name second was retained by the DUCT system.

Decimal time is already widely used in scientific fields, for example:

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorticity

What will this mean to the average person? It is only a matter of becoming accustomed to the new units and terms, for example a working day would be around 3 decidays long and not 8 hours as at present. It is expected that the population will become familiar with the changes within one year and no insurmountable problems are anticipated.

Calendars are being printed and will be issued before 2013/12/31.

7 billion watches are being produced and will be issued to every citizen by their respective Government. These watches are state of the art, sealed units and will never require adjustment. Travel between longitudinal time zones will be accommodated automatically. Clocks are being produced and will be offered in free exchange for your old timepiece at local recycling centres. All new clocks will conform to the DUCT standard and be in decimal units. Analogue timepieces will have a ten decidays display (face) and digital clocks will normally display up to 9.9999.
Decimal clock.png
Existing appliances will continue to operate normally and no adjustment will be necessary.
Help lines, websites, and training programs for key people are being arranged.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5557920_calcu ... clock.html

What you can do:

Be prepared. Learn the new terms. Take action as soon as possible.

There will be no am and pm as these terms are no longer necessary. The day starts at 0.0000 “zero hour” and ends at 9.99999999… “Ten”

There will be no weeks and consequently no days of the week. Days of the month are simply referred to as 01 to 36 or 37.

Learn the new names for the months; the last 4 are relatively easy:

Month 1 = UNEMBER 36 days
Month 2 = BIEMBER 37 days
Month 3 = TRIEMBER 36 days
Month 4 = QUADEMBER 37 days
Month 5 = PENTEMBER 36 days
Month 6 = SEXEMBER 37 days
Month 7 = SEPTEMBER 36 days
Month 8 = OCTEMBER 37 days
Month 9 = NONEMBER 36 days
Month 10 = DECEMBER 37 days

Throw out any year 2014 diaries, calendars, and other printed matter that are not in the DUCT format.
Find out from your local council before the end of the year where to exchange your clocks.
Your employer will assist as necessary.
Assist others during the transition.

G. M. Woclock

President WHC

Dated: 2013/04/01
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DECIMAL TIME: DUCT

Post by Wendyf »

:surprised: :sad: :wink:
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

It might be April 1st in China but it isn't here yet.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

What????? :confused: :confused: :surprised: :laugh5:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Very good China but a bit early for us in Barlick. Just over two and a half hours to go yet :laugh5:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Did you mean just under 1 deciday ? When are the days of Sabbath rest ?
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Sounds like an early April Fools joke to me. If not I doubt whether it could work. :confused: :laugh5: :laugh5:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It will be difficult to work out when a baby is due!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

About 7.5 months , i think ( I don't like the loss of the week , and for monthly pay , etc there will be some variation , the time and a half . double time for weekend working ( time and a tenth for some ) , may well disappear. Looks like a capitalist plot to deprive the working man of his due time , we should revolt against it , lest they steal our days. However I understand some months may get local names , for the UK. Wheezy, Sneezy ,Nippy,Showery, Flowery, Wheaty, Heaty ,Sweety,Drippy,Freezy.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pluggy wrote:It might be April 1st in China but it isn't here yet.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: It is now!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

chinatyke wrote:The World Horological Commission will introduce the new Universal standard measurement of time at the end of this year.
I'm very concerned about the impact of reducing the number of hours on the clock to 10. What'll we do in Barlick? Our local clock is based on the 12 letters of Barnoldswick. Which letters would we cut out of the name to fit onto the new clock?

On the other hand, it's perhaps an opportunity to introduce a change I've long advocated...

As most folk know, Barnoldswick is the longest place name in Yorkshire without repeating a letter. But Buckfastleigh beats us by a single letter to become the longest such place name in England.

If we could introduce another couple of letters into Barnoldswick, we'd scoop the honours! BARNOLDESWICK is doable, or we could have BARENOLDYSWICK. I'm sure there are plenty of viable alternatives.

I'm off to draft a resolution proposing the change for the next council meeting!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Twin with a small Anglesey village,the name wouldn't be longer, but the signs would increase substantialy in length.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My mother always said that the name Barnoldswick came about from an old barn that was 'wick' with rats.
Many will scoff at that idea, but my mother has a brain like a steel trap and she constantly amazes me with her accuracy.

So ia m thinking BarnoldsRATTYwick? Or similar...
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Marilyn wrote:My mother always said that the name Barnoldswick came about from an old barn that was 'wick' with rats.
Many will scoff at that idea, but my mother has a brain like a steel trap and she constantly amazes me with her accuracy.

So ia m thinking BarnoldsRATTYwick? Or similar...
You could be right Marilyn during the 50's Drought, many barlick sewers dried out, there was a lot of rats came to the surface for food, as kids we had great fun with catapults and air guns sorting them out. Also used to go out with my uncle clearing rats from the hen pens, with ferrets and terriers. One vote for your version.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Barnoldswick - 'the barns old and wick' I am told. :smile:

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”