LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Stanley »

This will be my last report.... The only Xmas lights in the town this morning adorn the Xmas Tree on the front of Pad-2-Let at the top of Butts. I think we are safe for another year.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It saddens me to report that as well as the conical emitters appearing on the lamp posts on Skipton Road and mince pies being sold in the Cathedral of Choice, Xmas is beginning to affect advertising. 68 days to go until Xmas and a trickle of related advertising is just starting.
Time to think about protection! Heavy foil is available in all good shops. Two layers in the hat are advised.
How will Brexit affect all this? Is Santa subject to new customs arrangements?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We visited a big local garden centre yesterday and got a fright when we went indoors. The sales area seemed to be in some sort of time warp. As well as lots of tinsel, fairy lights, red paper etc it was dark and a false ceiling had been erected and had many lights acting like stars in the night sky. Very disturbing, as if we'd been projected far out into some unfamiliar part of the universe. We had to rush home for a restorative cup of tea.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Desperate marketing Tiz! Expect to hear reports of shortages of turkeys, reduced footfall and dire sales figures any time now. When do the Xmas sales start? They get earlier every year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Christmas decorations for the home are now for sale but our shopping centres aren’t decorated yet.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you noticed that the retailers like Argos are advertising toys? Pester power will be active.
I remember many years ago going round to a friends house on Xmas Eve and being very surprised when I saw the huge piles of presents for each child. I was brought up on one good present and a Xmas Stocking with a few small supplementary goodies in it. As things got better Selection Boxes started to appear. I can't help thinking that today's overkill is connected with buying affection. Or am I being cynical?
At the moment I see that Halloween is the current thrust.
Have you noted the backlash against fireworks?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's also criticism of the retailers for pushing so much Halloween-themed children's clothing made of non-recyclable plastics which usually gets ditched after one use. Apparently tons of the stuff end up in rubbish collections.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Where would OGFB be without the annual moaning about consumer excess ? :biggrin2:
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Shame on you Pluggy, this is not 'moaning' but informed and perceptive commentary on the social mores of the time. Essential seasonal activity!
Yes, Halloween, I saw a window display yesterday in Barlick and thought about that report about most of it being one time use and then bound for landfill. Best place for it I reckon..... Essentially it's a marketing ploy that originated in the fertile minds of the advertising and sales industry in the US to boost sales of crap . Same applies to Mother's Day and Father's Day. Perhaps the best example of them all is the Greeting Card industry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note that the words 'festive' 'seasonal' and 'giving' are creeping into advertising as we near the annual celebration fest.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We were talking about Christmas present suggestions today at work and on my way home I popped into a shop I know my daughter buys from, just to ask if they sell vouchers so she could pick something herself. I was only in the shop for less than 5 minutes and the sales assistant had tried her best to sell me about $300 worth of stuff on the spot and telling me that vouchers aren’t a good present even tho they sell them. I got out quick smart!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I fear there will be a lot more reports like that Cathy, especially here in the UK where the high street has had such a lousy year. The name of the game is going to be shifting stock as quickly as possible. If previous years are anything to go by, cutting prices will start early which of course is essential in terms of the competition but damaging to profit levels. I'm glad I am not involved in it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I quite like the inventiveness of the cake and confectionery manufacturers for the Scary punned products for end of October. Having a number of All Souls churches around London is quite interesting too for their services ( Langham Place and one over near Ladbroke Grove are two ). Wife though is on a course in Harrogate over the 28th to 30th then we go on Holiday to Darlington (catching up to places past in the distant family - we know how to have fun in November ). I used to like Nov 5th Bonfires, used to organise them a church - always better with a small crowd and jacket potatoes (we never had them at other times of the year ), one large council one and a contractor re-heating in fake victorian stove frozen baked spuds that were still frozen has tended to put me off though son and grandparents like the smaller council display in their town and I think there was a good one, though maybe not for Nov 5th in Barnoldswick at least one year that was good to get out to. Normally I would go into Christmas mode after the 5th, but nowdays I tend to sort out some kind of poppy for the 10th as I might be involved in Stockport rememberance services (normally I get some kind of cold so maybe not). Then it is six weeks of a build up to a busy Advent season of carol singing and playing around NE Cheshire, I never had enough spare time to get involved with Barnoldswick Town Band but have a few extra days free this year so might be doing something in Stockport. (Chrismas Day for the Wife might have a Barnoldswick Lunch if her friend has completed her house move. Of course this year we might all have the added fun of parliamentary elections, or not.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I popped into the chemist the other day. It was like a Christmas wonderland in there. I got quite a shock. I've noticed grocery prices rising too...
Once they get rid of all the Halloween Rubbish, there will be Christmas stock appear overnight, obstructing walkways etc.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They do the same thing here Maz. Some marketing whizz kid realised that if goods are in an end of aisle gondola in your way you see them more easily and buy more. I often wonder about routes of escape in case of fire....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if any of the other supermarkets or shops will stop selling fireworks? I can understand the prohibition of those that make a loud bang because they are so frightening for dogs (and presumably some other animals too). Not all fireworks are noisy but there's also concern about fire hazards and injury and I suppose that's why Sainsburys has banned them all.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I welcome the moves against fireworks and Halloween. I was always a bonfire and sparklers man with the occasional Roman Candle or Catherine Wheel. The kids enjoyed it just the same!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That bloody spray on cobweb is everywhere! (Even on the Gisburn Road School gate this morning.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sports centre at Colne is full of skeletons hanging about. I think too many people are taking this dieting and weight loss to an extreme.
I want the people around me to be fat, healthy-looking men and women who sleep at night. That Cassius over there has a lean and hungry look.
Slightly modified so not to give the wrong impression.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what you mean P. Problem is that we only hear about the extremes. Perfect physical specimens like you and me aren't in fashion.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you noticed that bed and sofa forms have started guaranteeing 'delivery before Xmas' in their TV advertising?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got through Halloween without any visits so far! The big firework display in Victoria Park is tomorrow night. Up to now there have been no evening attacks! I hope it continues. Jack has not been bothered at all so far.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Come to think of it, I didn’t get any visits or hear anything happening in the street either.
That’s a first I think.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had a sign up, and it was respected.
image.jpeg
heeeee though I set it up the right way in front of our driveway!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It looks the right way up, here in the northern hemisphere, Maz. :extrawink:

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”