LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Marilyn »

A warning of slight tinkle of sleigh bells far off to the East.
Not something you are likely to appreciate at your time of the morning, but you can assure your "wee ones" that those in far off Australia are certain that Santa HAS begun his long journey.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret is busy cooking a Xmas dinner for some of the kids in Perth. A day early but there will be another one tomorrow! Hope you've been good Maz and get your pressies!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We don't "do" presents.
Daves grandkids get presents, but no adult presents. So no presents under our tree...and our kids don't give us presents either.
Makes things very easy..
( we don't do presents between ourselves either)
Too many memories of crappy Christmases as a kid I suppose)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We don't really do presents these days either Maz, but we had lovely family Christmases. I'm happy just to look at the pretty lights and enjoy a drink or two! It's the lack of small children that does it...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Probably the lack of grandkids in my life too, Wendy, to be honest. I'm sure I would put extra effort in to keep the magic alive if I had grandkids...but otherwise...it is easier not to get involved!
We have a nice meal, pull crackers, wear the silly hats and enjoy some wine. It marks the day, but nothing terribly thrilling.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Christmas treats for low carbers, peanut butter and chocolate fat bombs. To be kept in the fridge and eaten sparingly....

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh yum ! I would try those!
I still have half a container of Irish Cream Fudge in my fridge. It is very nice but I don't have a sweet tooth so don't hanker for it. Mind you, it has no added sugar ( only that already in the chocolate or Baileys); I eek it out to hubby instead...
How is your son going with his weight loss? He was doing amazingly well as I recall. ( and becoming a happier chap for it????)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I don't think he has lost much more Maz but he hasn't put it back on either. He will be arriving later today so I'll get an up to date report. He looks so much better but is still a big lad!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 09:53 Christmas treats for low carbers, peanut butter and chocolate fat bombs. To be kept in the fridge and eaten sparingly....

I like the sound of them. Peanut butter, chocolate and a bit of double cream?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No Kev, these are coconut oil, peanut butter and cocoa powder with a bit of Stevia for sweetness. I'm thinking about doing some with dark chocolate and cream mixed with some of Col's nut granola....
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I made some truffles with 85% cocoa solid chocolate and double cream then rolled them in cocoa, there may have been a hint of Jamesons in there too :-). They were very tasty.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yum!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I like the sound of the chocolate and granola. An upmarket Rice Crispy cake :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am in the Maz camp with Xmas and birthday presents. Xmas is so simple if you knock them out of the equation. Xmas is for kids and when we had them at home we were entirely traditional. But that doesn't mean I am a skinflint. I probably give more presents than most but at the time they are most needed or least expected. The same applies to helping people who are in trouble, rescuing something that is 'irreparable' is pure joy to me. Something else I have learned is that the more a present hurts you the better it is for you!
Having said that, I hope you all get your heart's desire. My best present this year has been the fact that I have a functioning finger even though I tried to chop it off!
I see from the TV that the sofa and mattress companies are (surprise surprise) advertising huge discounts..... The sales start tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am a bit of a skinflint when it comes to buying stuff for myself, because if I don't NEED a particular item, I won't buy it. There has to be a need, rather than a desire. This stems from ridding our lives of excess "junk" ( things/items) by either giving them away or donating to charity. What is the point of buying more stuff? ( best not to accumulate in the first place). Things don't end up in your home unless you bring them in the front door! I don't even allow junk mail...banned that over 20 years ago and haven't seen a catalogue since. I think it is a form of freedom not to have junk mail.

I only own one handbag for example. When it gets tatty, I happily spend money on a new one. Can't see the point of having a wardrobe full of handbags. I don't own many pairs of shoes either...
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Merry Christmas Stanley and all at One Guy. Nolic :elf: :elf:
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

As I write, the official NASA NORAD Santa Tracker shows him 2 minutes away from reaching the North Pole, having delivered over 7 billion presents.

And he's arrived home....number of presents delivered this year: 7,281,439,471 :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Comrade, I hope you are all having a good day.
Tiz, he may be back home but he didn't call in here....
Funny the number of cars drawing into the C-op car park, noting that the doors are closed and going away again. I wonder what it was they forgot to buy......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Nolic, same to you and a Merry Christmas to everyone else on the site. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 11:04 Funny the number of cars drawing into the C-op car park, noting that the doors are closed and going away again. I wonder what it was they forgot to buy......
For those in need of a shop, Spar on Skipton Rd is open today...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Delicious low carb dinner just finished, who needs roast potatoes anyway? :smile: Col's chocolate pud with rum soaked berries will have to wait till later. Hic.🍾🍾🍷
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have left Sally's double chocolate chip brownie and red cherry trifle at our Carla's we had the same thought to have it later but didn't feel the need. A pleasant time was had by all and we were treated to a few of Isla's renditions of her piano practice numbers, She's not doing bad for 3 or 4 lessons in, she got a full size keyboard to encourage her practice. :smile:
We have mooted plans for an Imax visit for the latest Star Wars episode in the not to distant future and Sally and I have been given tickets to an evening with Sir Ranulph Fiennes in February.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Big Kev wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 11:42 I made some truffles with 85% cocoa solid chocolate and double cream then rolled them in cocoa, there may have been a hint of Jamesons in there too :-). They were very tasty.
They sound absolutely gorgeous.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 21:23 have been given tickets to an evening with Sir Ranulph Fiennes in February.
I've taken an interest in this chap for a long time - Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes.

First saw him in a BBC programme about an expedition to Canada somewhere, looking for Bigfoot' as I recall. The whole thing sounded contrived, to get an expedition for him to lead - I'm amazed to find it was in the early 70's. I think I recall that he abandoned his men, and looked after himself. At the end, one of his troopers, (SAS) asked what he would do if he met him again said without hesitation - 'I'd kill him'. Sir Ranulph wrote a book about it - Available here

The Headless Valley

He has been described as 'The World's Greatest Living Explorer'. I could think of several words to substitute for explorer. :smile:

I found this on the Guardian's website. and offer it as supporting evidence.

"1993 Achieved the longest unsupported polar journey across the Antarctic. Fiennes and his companion, Michael Stroud, completed 1,350 miles in 95 days. The expedition was abandoned when Fiennes developed crotch rot (he wore the same underpants for 50 days), frostbite and piles. Entered the Guinness Book of Records as 'the World's Greatest Living Explorer'. "

That could well be a Guinness record for consecutive days wearing underpants though.

He's World Class alright - up there with Jeffrey Archer in the pantheon. There is another reason I don't like him - but I think I'll keep that to myself. However don't let me colour your judgment - do your own research. :smile:

Enjoy the show. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gloria wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 21:40
Big Kev wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 11:42 I made some truffles with 85% cocoa solid chocolate and double cream then rolled them in cocoa, there may have been a hint of Jamesons in there too :-). They were very tasty.
They sound absolutely gorgeous.
They did go down rather well :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”