LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Marilyn »

Itsh time to crawl up thosch staircsh and clean your teesch and crawl into bed...
You've had a big day.

Next bash - New Years Eve! ( though we have 2 birthdays before then...and a Wedding Anniversary shortly after) :biggrin2:
This time of year is not for whimps!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I share your thoughts about Ranulf..... The man who said he'd shoot him was on the right lines. Why does he remind me of Orde Wingate?
On a different note I wish to register a complaint about 'Gospel Choirs' and the modern trend in choral singing..... I like Xmas carols and the choral services we hear on the BBC but I am sorry to say that the London Gospel Choir completely spoiled my enjoyment of one service yesterday. I hate the twiddly 'Grace Notes' and unnecessary embellishments of even old standard carols. I note the same trend in other areas of singing as well. Apart from that, they weren't even tuneful! I will grant them full marks for enthusiasm but null point for singing. End of rant......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Twiddly grace notes ? Are you referring to vocal aerobics '. Drives me nuts too
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 23:16 The expedition was abandoned when Fiennes developed crotch rot (he wore the same underpants for 50 days)
He's not a proper explorer then. I'm sure the best explorers all buy those M&S underpants that have been treated with an anti-bacterial chemical. If he'd worn those he might have completed his trip. He could have made money too by promoting M&S underpants! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Perhaps he was really a commercial traveler in Ladies underwear and didn't like taking them off. (the old jokes are the best)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Cathy, I notice that singers do it in the States when opening a large sporting event with the National Anthem as well. I can't stand it!!
Ranulf's keks. Or observe basic maintenance hygiene!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The campaign continues.... Even though Xmas is behind us the retailers, both online and off, are discounting heavily to shift stock. The 'experts' on the Main Street suspect that while on the surface, the sellers have had a successful campaign in terms of turnover it is at the expense of profitability and there is the further uncomfortable truth that a lot of spending is being done by extending credit and that can't go on forever. What happens when the gravy train hits the buffers as it must inevitably do?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The firms will go belly up, the employees will be made redundant and they'll suffer because other folk got a big discount on the Christmas goodies. Something tells me there's a flaw in the economic system.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure you are right Tiz. One candidate for extinction seems to be 'Benson's for Beds', it's getting quite a lot of mentions.... The only certainty is that there will be an end to the credit spree..... The question is when?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Toys R Us looks like being next. But we'll hear more when companies find they've given too much away in the run up to Christmas.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

According to the 'experts', sales are up slightly but actual footfall and profitability are down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The question on my mind today is how much money have the masses left over to spend on booze and fireworks tonight? I'll be pleasantly surprised if I am not woken at midnight by explosions and my mate joining me early in bed for protection......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The main emitters and lights were switched off by yesterday morning and this morning all the other lights are off. We are safe for another year! Now all we have to cope with is the rest of the world....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

With the switch-on of the emitters happening this Saturday the 17th it is time to start thinking about protection. Two layers of foil in your hat is a good start and aluminium foil is available at all good retailers.
With the present situation in the High Street and bearing in mind that we are in the period of peak sales which makes up for a bad year, beware of all advertising! Every trick will be used to extract money from your purse or pocket.
Rumours from Trawden that the annual influx of vertically challenged people hasn't happened this year. Many originate in countries controlled by the EU. What this means for the Xmas workshop is not clear yet. I'm watching for any activity on Beamsley Beacon but none detected so far. I have been told that Mrs Trellis is back in the village.
It strikes me that Wendy's recent report of a strange light over Barnoldswick could be the first sighting of the year as it was never explained.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I gave in and spent £2 on a small arrangement for the front door...2 silver bells hanging from a bit of red tinsel. My previous front door wreath was ready for the bin last year, but I jazzed it up for one more run with a spray can of silver paint, then could do no more with it but throw it away.
Last of the big spenders ( they won't seduce me into parting with "me gold", that's for sure).
Plenty of alfoil in stock. I have heard that if you fold/pleat the foil, it offers greater protection.
Also...elastic of any sort apparently absorbs rays, probably due to the longitudinal valleys in it's structure and its proximity to warm skin areas. So...if you can rid your undergarments of all traces of it, the better of you will be...providing you stay out of the wind and cross your legs when you sneeze.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Well...
The big red truck , all lit up like a Christmas tree has arrived with the message 'It feels good to give '.
And...
Last weekend more than 300,000 kids - young and old - came out to watch and cheer on a huge parade of very happy characters, lots on floats, lots on foot, singing playing and dancing their way for over 3 kilometres thru the main streets of Adelaide.
All followed by a man dressed in a red suit and sat atop a very high sleigh pulled by 9 reindeer!
Everyone and everything was represented, we even had a bright red double decker London bus.
And...
Bright sparkly lights and decorations are popping up everywhere.
Something is coming...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Valuable contributions Ladies! I haven't seen the big red truck yet but it will come!
News that Marks and Spencer have made a bit of a boo boo. They brought out a Xmas advert lauding the fact that the public love their food and at the same time announced a fall in food sales. In effect they illustrated that the advert is a lie. Not a good start to the Xmas campaign!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Be aware that as well as the rising tide of Xmas advertising the Barlick emitters are to be switched on today at noon.
One small thought, how can you make 'traditional mince pies' with a 6 week use before date? I don't think I want to know the answer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What frequency are the emitters set at? *800 GHz should close down most of the 4G mobile phones in the area. Never know our luck.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't say P. All I know is that at 19:00 last night when I took Jack for his last pee of the day the town centre was a fairyland of lights.
If you ever had any doubts about the effort that goes into Xmas advertising have a look at THIS LINK. We need to know the enemy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This is an example of what I have seen so far
WP_20181109_10_19_51_Pro.jpg

Damn why do my pics always turn around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Cathy wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 07:52 This is an example of what I have seen so farWP_20181109_10_19_51_Pro.jpg.

Damn why do my pics always turn around.
Ipads don't know which way is up ?

If you click the picture it turns the right way up on the photo only page.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 06:48 Every trick will be used to extract money from your purse or pocket...
That's what contactless credit cards were invented for. Perhaps we need kryptonite wallets and purses?

Look what we missed out on when we were kids...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, I noted what Pluggy said, click to enlarge and it's fine.
Tiz, dead right! I refuse to use it, it's far too easy to be safe. Notice that in the blurb for the slime toy they say they provide a potty but have you ever seen a child at that age who could contain mess? I suspect the effect on a carpet could be permanent!
I note that in Barlick some householders have switched on their own decorations but they are quite retrained. I wonder if the high price of leccy will inhibit the house owners who seem to compete to get the most lights outside the house this year? I doubt it..... We shall see the pics in the media shortly!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The pic is in the right position when I click on it on my phone but arrives on here different.
There is nowhere that says 'click to enlarge'

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”