LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2013

Post by Stanley »

You see whaT HAPPENS IF YOU FORGET TO WEAR FOIL PROTECTION!! tHE INFECTION HAS EVEN SPREAD TO oNEGUY..... (Bugger caps lock....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Don't worry Stanley, if push comes to shove and the infection becomes endemic I can always wipe the One Guy database tables (Alamo mode). I have lined my Davy Crockett hat with foil specifically for this mission if required, just give me the nod. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't you dare! We've been there once and it isn't nice..... Is there anything in the old data that gives the dates and history of the genesis of the site? Perhaps it ought to be copied and posted again.....
Activity levels are on the rise in the town and from the number of inebriated people about in the early hours I'd say the works Xmas Party season is in full swing......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Jingle All The Way

Chorus:
Profits here, profits there,
profits everywhere
Christmas time is funny
we smell money in the air
Advertise, glamorize,
fool you with a flair.
Let's make sure that Christmas
is a businesslike affair.

You're eating up our lies and dashing to the stores
Then all our prices rise and how the money pours
If we don't keep you drugged and watching your TV
You might see the hypocrisy
then where would business be?

Chorus

We'll tell you how to think and tell you what to try
What to eat and drink and how to live and die
And if our plan succeeds, when Christmas-time is nigh
Instead of seeking love and peace you'll hunt for gifts to buy

Chorus
[From: LINK ]
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 03:43 Is there anything in the old data that gives the dates and history of the genesis of the site? Perhaps it ought to be copied and posted again.....
Not really, the site is held on a relational database which means the data it is spread across multiple tables. A single string of information may be distributed across many different tables. This phpBB platform does not give a figure for runtime directly in the ACP but it will have a database creation date on the hosting site, it's not that old though. The archive site is now just a mirror of severely damaged code with no accessible ACP. Unless documented elsewhere it's a best guess.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

For some reason I think of OG having been launched in 2003 but I joined much later than that. Perhaps the appropriate information was in one of Stanley's newspaper articles or books? I guess Doc would know. Did it launch as a forum or begin with SG's articles and LTP etc?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The change to phpBB was in 2012 forced by the crash of the old platform. It has been rebuilt twice since 2012, this current build and incarnation after upgrades to the gallery and the site platform was only done last September.

The (C) notice in the footer of the archive site reads 2004 - 2111.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit of furtling in the archive and Stanley answers his own question. This was posted in 2006 in the "Burnley Web" thread:

Posted - 11/09/2006 : 09:26 Don't rely on getting warning emails, this version of the programme is getting clunky, too much content, we are expecting the new version to be up in a couple of months. The site started in March 2004 and was the brainwave of Doc our leader. Luckily I happened to have a lot of content site ready and so we started with 2 million words of research and 500 pics (the Lancashire Textile Project). It all started from there and we now have 6000+ page hits a day and an enormous archive. All local history based and they say nobody is interested..... Largely because of exposure on the site the LTP got a national award from the AIA in 2004 which furthered the cause. The site is one of the busiest in the UK but for some reason nobody has noticed the elephant in the room. Perhaps we should shout more about it. There is much on here that will interest your market in Burnley, for instance all the stuff about Billycock Bracewell and the Burnley Ironworks. The Newton Pickles stuff in the LTP is directly pertinent as is the Leeds and Liverpool canal material. Use the site search engine and if you find anything you might think particularly useful don't hesitate to copy and paste to your site giving the web address.

Barlick View
stanley at barnoldswick.freeserve.co.uk
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That's interesting. In the 'early days' I never liked putting external links in, in the naive belief we were creating a historical social document, and in the future, the links were not sure to be still there, when the social historians came knocking. I remember asking about backups, and was told that the data was sent to the archive at Clitheroe at regular intervals. Maybe it's still sitting there? I find that I first donated to the site in January 2006 - so not long to go for my long service medal. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
I was surprised yesterday when I did my veggie cooking to find I had forgotten sprouts. I think I am subconsciously rejecting anything to do with Xmas!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 17:29 I remember asking about backups, and was told that the data was sent to the archive at Clitheroe at regular intervals.
Is that the same place where they kept the Crown Jewels? :extrawink:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If Doc meant the Clerk's Lodgings at Clitheroe Castle, yes. The old muniment room is the strong room and that's where the NW Sound Archive is kept. If the CJ ever were there that was where they would be.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This mild spell of weather must be very welcome to the main street retailers. This is their make or break week!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm planning my Xmas food shopping..... I need two brown teacakes for the Boxing Day steak butties....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm going to put my decorations up today and get presents wrapped. No panic over food here as there is only the three of us and we don't need bread. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan has requested a steak butty so her wish is my command!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all... and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2017, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Britain great (not to imply that Britain is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "Britain" in the Western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual orientation of the wishee.

This wish is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first."Holiday" is not intended to, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).

DISCLAIMER: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting the following terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for the wishee, him/herself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

bah humbug!
phrase of humbug
used to express grumpy dislike of something generally regarded as enjoyable, in particular Christmas.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, I enjoyed that but unfortunately it is completely accurate and could be authentic.
I am reminded of a Jewish friend of mine who, when I asked her why she was preparing for Xmas immediately after I had taken part in the Seder with them (As the Gentile. I had to learn to ask all the questions) said "Stanley! A holiday is a holiday!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Merry Christmas to everyone on OGFB
Wishing you all a lovely time
Take Care. Love Cathy xx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

May there be plenty of willing hands to help with all the dishes...
May everyone take some leftovers home so you don't have to eat it all yourself...
May they all be aware it is someone else's turn to do Christmas next year!
Season's Greetings,
Dave and Marilyn
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Best of everything to you all. Treasure what you have and spare a moment for the ones who can't be with us. Love, Stanley.....XXX
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Christmas Greetings everyone from Tiz & Mrs Tiz! :santa2: :party:
Don't forget NASA's Santa Tracker: LINK As I write the countdown is at about 21 hours but there's lots to see and do on the web site.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We don't normally have any traffic problems in Barlick but yesterday was manic, crossing the road at the end of the Majestic became a major project! Quite obvious that the tempo of shopping had reached a climax. Warnings abound that a lot of this activity is being funded by debt..... You can't help wondering how long the credit boom can go on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Happy Christmas everyone. :santa2:

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”