LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2014

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2014

Post by PanBiker »

Has anyone had any reports yet of any activity?

Followers of similar years topics on this subject may recall the ordeal I was subjected to last year early in December. I think I should report that I received a text message from that Elf that got me involved last year. :confused: Strange thing was it was the first text I received after my recent number migration related in another thread. I was asked if I could "help" again this year. I know I should really have deleted the message and wrapped myself in tin foil until the new year but I felt compelled just to answer YES. I think I may have made a very bad mistake here, only time will tell. :surprised:
Ian
David Whipp

Re: LIGHTS IN THE SKY 2014

Post by David Whipp »

Never you mind being lighthearted about these matters; spent half the day putting lights into the sky and will be doing the same tomorrow!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Better dust off the tinfoil hat....

Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was determined not to start this seasonal topic this year... However, the last two nights have been particularly clear and I found myself scanning for unusual activity. Funnily enough I found none but there were loud explosions as late as 23:00. Could sound waves be part of the armoury this year?
I have another hypothesis. I am beginning to suspect that the remnants of the conductor wires used by the old Cable TV system may be being used to distribute the emissions. There are a surprising number of short stretches still intact and it is high time for a concerted campaign to get rid of them, not only for aesthetic reasons but because they might possibly be used against us. When you look in the sky take note of how many lengths still festoon our houses and streets.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

No movement at Trawden gimmers yet (this topic has begun earlier than usual hasn't it?)
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Triggered by the unsolicited contact from the Elf Moh. Thought I had better report the early contact. Emitters have been up in the town for a while now. I hope the Co-op or market has plenty of foil, notice our supply was running low over weekend.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Things were certainly strange here at Halloween, so I am a bit worried that our coastal/country location may be a hot spot for the unexplained and irregular. I have checked the third drawer down in the kitchen and am well stocked for foil, so that is a relief. There seems to be quite a following here of wearing bike helmets with telescopic arials ( how DO you spell that word?) coming out of them. I have seen folk with as many as five arials erupting from their scone protectors. I am frightened to ask what the specific use of them may be.
Vigilance is the key. Must assess the best vantage points...

A good start Pluggy. I am slightly concerned about the lack of coverage at the sides, but all in all, it will do this far out. As more transmitters are activated you may wish to adapt to a Legionare style?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have lined my hats with a double layer of foil and so far it is working. Clear sky again last night and apart from a very bright moon, all is well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

The Coca Cola truck was seen on our TV last night and it is not half way through November---could this be the start of something big :surprised:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That is what I thought when I saw it Gloria. The weather forecast is for a wet & windy winter so we may not see much activity.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Clear sky this morning but no unusual lights spotted. I am searching!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted yesterday morning that the large emitters in the Town Square were fully operational ready for yesterday's Switch On. At the same time the advertising industry has gone into full Xmas mode, the Coca Cola wagon train is on the road again and all the food retailers are pushing over consumption of food. So, tin foil into the hats, resist over-eating and beware of pestering kids. I even saw an advert last week for a savings club for Xmas 2015.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Activity is increasing and becoming sinister... How did an order that started in my head as one thing turn out to be another when it was delivered? Could this be innovative stock reduction for slow moving items? Check thrice before pressing the 'confirm' button.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Overcast skies are hampering observations but there is no doubt that the influence of the emissions is spreading. Mince pies and Xmas 'fayre' are flooding the Cathedral of Choice and the media. All I can say is beware!!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I've noticed that lots of groups of people are making arrangements to meet up at the same place and time, mostly in the evenings, they are 'saying' it is to eat, drink and be merry. What they will be wearing seems to be very important and some people are going to several of these group meetings.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I've noticed that people are putting wreaths on their front doors as a sign of compliance.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

That could be to ward off the evil Maz.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder whether insulating board with an aluminium foil face is effective in warding off the emissions? I see we have also got to the point where competitive Xmas light displays are appearing again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I should be ok then Moh, because I put a wreath on my door ( to ward off the evil)...whilst wearing a foil hat of course.
Only took a few moments, so fairly safe as far as exposure levels go.

Last year, son requested I buy one of those "hidden orange" Christmas Puddings ( Heston), but try as I might I could not get my hands on one...I tramped here and there to be told they had sold out.
So when I saw them this year, I bought one, and proudly texted son to let him know how clever I had been...only to be told I was "so last year, Mum"...because he has a new flavour out this year ( hidden fig and caramel?)
Humph! Hope he chokes on it! Ha ha
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I've had several people ask why Earby hasn't got its traditional Christmas light display this year. I've emailed the following response to the latest enquirer. Perhaps Earby's councillors have got permanent tinfoil protection? (Suspect they'll need tin hats for the flak they're going to get.)

For many years, the town councils of Barlick and Earby have funded the ‘shop front’ lights put up each year, whilst the borough council has paid for the column mounted lights and big tree decorations.

Due to reduced government grant, Pendle Council has cut the central budget for festive lights; this year, it’s up to the area committees and town and parish councils to find the money for them.

In Barlick, the town council included money in its budget (set in January) for a share of the lighting costs previously paid for out of the Pendle Council central budget. In April, the West Craven area committee of Pendle Council allocated funding for the balance.

The borough councillors for Earby Ward declined to allocate any funding for Christmas decorations in Earby, Kelbrook, Salterforth and Sough. Earby Town Council declined to fund anything other than the shop front trees they already paid for. This meant there was no money for the lights paid for by Pendle in previous years.

In Kelbrook and Salterforth the parish councils have put some funding into having traditional trees in the villages and at the last area committee the Earby Ward councillors agreed to allocate £300 to each of these parish councils towards the cost of the trees.

Everywhere else in Pendle has found the funding for Christmas lights through the town & parish councils and area committees; it’s only Earby that won’t have the display of previous years. This is a decision of the borough council representatives for the area.

Next year, the whole of the responsibility for Christmas lights will be passed over to local town and parish councils from the borough council. Area committees may still contribute to the cost, but it’ll be up to town and village councils to organise the work.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Burnley had a 'big day' on Sunday with X Factor 'losers' turning on the lights, dancers, bands and a big firework display which we could see from our house - so no shortage in Burnley ! !
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Moh, we just use magic in Barlick... here's a picture by Aiden Wellock of if flowing along Rainhall Road at our Switch On.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What grabbed me yesterday was a strange juxtaposition, an appeal for finds for treating blindness in Africa with the usual heart-wrenching images of little kids followed immediately by a Sainsbury advert for excessive Xmas consumption. Go figure.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh yes, Stanley...many begging bowls out at this time of year...but I think you have to be very careful who one chooses to support. and if some overseas "charities" can afford to advertise every half hour, just where would your donation be going?!
( and how much will get there?). As much as I lover Tigers, and Elephants and other exotic animals, if their own country ( and government) will not stop the poaching, what good would my money do? I'd rather help keep a local family warm and fed.
I apologise if my opinion upsets anyone, but I think we need to care for our own first.
And having said that, I am quite cynical about some local charities who own vast amounts of real estate etc...

Bah humbug! I shall triple the alfoil on my skull cap!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I wholly agree Maz. I see Brierfield are not short of Christmas lights - looks like Earby are the poor relations of Pendle.

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”