Hollins Golf Club

Rogerb

Hollins Golf Club

Post by Rogerb »

Good morning, I've been going through some of my grandfathers old photos and paperwork and found a membership card for Hollins Golf Club 1939, I can't recall either he of anyone else in the family ever mentioning that he played golf or was a member of a club. I have lived in barlick all my life (55 yrs) and didn't know there was a Hollins a Golf Club so was wondering if any body on here knows anything about it, according to the membership card the President was Mr S Blackshaw the secretary was MissC Horsfield of 20 Park Ave, membership for Gentlemen was £2-2-0 and £1-7-6 for ladies ,many thanks in advance for any feedback.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hollins Golf Club

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Roger. Yes, there was a golf club at Hollins, we had quite a lot on the old site about it but most of that data was lost. Off the top of my head I can't remember the details but I'm sure you'll trigger someone who has a better memory.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Rogerb

Post by Rogerb »

Thanks Stanley ,always seems weird when you have lived somewhere all your life and you find out something new.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is something about it HERE

Stanley wrote a bit about it once too, I found this from Stanley's View volume 6.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is part of a letter published in the Barlick & Earby Times on Friday 9th February 1940 (Yes!! The British Newspaper Archive Online has started to add copies of the local paper...the 1940's and some of the 1950's).

Rogerb

Post by Rogerb »

Thanks Wendy some interesting info glad to know my grandfather was part of a working class golf club ,I still can't believe I've never heard of it before ,I will have to have a walk up there and see if I can see anything.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Here's another snippet that's worth recording, from the Barlick & Earby Times of 25th February 1944.

There is also a piece about the Gyhll Club receiving an influx of members early in 1940 when the Hollins Club wound up.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Like you Roger, I have lived in Barlick all my life and never heard of it. I would assume that it would be in the area bellow Hollins and Cow Pasture and Brogden Lane. I am a regular walker and have traversed those fields hundreds of times and never noticed any remnants of a 9 hole course. The big field below Cow Pasture is a bit of a quagmire and the one below Hollins is being used for the storage of building materials alongside the bridlepath that runs down to Brogden Lane.

In the same vein, unless you knew you could not tell now that there was a 9 hole pitch and put and a separate miniature putting green up Letcliffe and that's only 40 years ago.
Ian
Rogerb

Post by Rogerb »

I'm the same Ian been over those fields loads of times over the yrs ,I think it's the quite recent past that gets me more than anything.
I remember the pitch and putt at letcliffe park and the little wood hut to hire your clubs from spent many a happy day up there back in the 60 s and 70 s.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The BUDC nurseries and greenhouses and the guys that worked there as well Roger when the park was kept in pristine condition. They maintained both parks and all the flower displays around town. My mum used to swap cuttings and pot plants with them for her flower growing at the allotment my parents had. The guy in the wood hut always had a white lab coat on and a flat cap, deck chair hire as well.
Ian
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/inde ... club-lancs

Have a look at this which throws some light on the matter. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Same link that Wendy put up earlier Nolic. Reading the report I think it is slightly wrong with the wind up date, I think it should read WWII rather than WWI as Roger found a membership card for 1939.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Wendy, I knew that I had written something about it somewhere! By the way, all my books are on Google if you search for them and still available from Lulu.Com..... Billy Parsons told me that at one time there was an element of competition with Ghyll Club who considered themselves a cut above Hollins.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”