Early Risers

6fingerskipton

Early Risers

Post by 6fingerskipton »

I've noticed over recent weeks that quite a few of you are extremely early risers!

How do you all manage it?

I normally get up between 5-7 on any given day and sometimes feel absolutely horrified if I sleep in till 9am after a night on the pop.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Early Risers

Post by Wendyf »

A few of the early birds live on the far side of the world just to confuse us, but Stanley is a very, very early riser!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always had jobs that demanded early riding and old habits die hard. I love the lack of interruptions in the early hours and always have a supplementary sleep in the afternoon.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Periods of sleep during a 24hr cycle were the norm for centuries; the idea that we retire at night for our rest is relatively recent. People busied themselves on many things when they were up ‘during the night’ – poaching, robbing orchards, stealing firewood and more social activities such as gathering round the fire for warmth and telling stories. Recommended book: A History of Nighttime, by Robert Ekirch

I tend to get up early these days; can’t really lie-in any more

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, there was a very extensive study on sleep at one time and the conclusion was that the human brain was wired for two periods of sleep a day and this explained the fact that many people had a period in the early afternoon where their energy levels dropped. This was usually put down to dietary matters, a drop in blood sugar or something like that. I once gave a man a lift down the country who was a Canadian medical doctor and he told me that the hardest work we ever do is digesting a meal. He advocated having a substantial meal in the middle of the day and a sleep after it. Perhaps the 'lazy' societies who favour a siesta had the right idea.
Another thing I have found is that because I spent so much of my life working longer hours than most I developed the ability to 'cat nap'. People used to laugh at me because, given the opportunity,I have no difficulty closing my eyes and having a ten or twenty minute sleep. If you are working cruel hours it can be a life saver....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”