DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

plaques
Donor

Re: DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 21:18 but can't work out why they should all go to Rossendale area.
Try this for a possibility and for a minute forget Occam. This theory? is based on Mrs P's family history and it comes in two parts.

Besides the Huguenots there was quite a lot of Palatine Germans from the same area who came in queen Anne's time. After arriving in London they were finally shipped off to Limerick where they stayed until they either move to America or came to England because of the Irish famine. Most of these settled first in the Liverpool area and then in Oswaldtwistle. But prior to this Palatine lot; Cromwell's army which were mainly German mercenaries were left behind in Limerick. These naturally formed a relationship. So why Rossendale? Why not.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"So why Rossendale? Why not." The most common reasons for a clustering in an area was a familial or occupational connection. Think Huguenots and silk weaving in Spitalsfield, London. There could also be a religious reason, think along the lines of Moravians in England.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

One more factor about Oswaldtwistle at that time was the town had not invested money in their basic superstructure. Their waste disposal, water supply and general sanitation were virtually non existent. Disease was rampant and Oswaldtwistle for the locals became a ghost town. The irish immigrants found very cheap housing and work but because of their situation had to live or die in these conditions. "So why Rossendale? Why not."
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Huguenots...They seem to have been involved in a lot more than the oft-quoted lace and silk making, as suggested in this web page:
`Nonconformist and Protestant thinking shaped the development of Great Britain following the Reformation. During the Industrial Revolution, Britain was at the forefront of innovation, an achievement in which Huguenot migrants played a significant part.
From as early as the Middle Ages, migrants from France and the Low Countries fine-tuned techniques which helped establish many of Britain’s ground-breaking industries, such as weaving, and the production of iron and glass. By the eighteenth century innovators like the papermaker Henry Fourdrinier and silk weaver George Courtauld had built on this earlier expertise and made their own unique contribution to the Industrial Revolution. Huguenot craftsmen also played their part with the design and manufacture of high quality consumer goods, including watches and clocks. Without these Britain’s factories would not have operated so efficiently and the new steam-powered locomotives transporting goods to Britain’s ports and cities would not have run on time.' LINK

Also this article: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right Tiz. The advantages of having foreign immigrants coming in........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've noticed the phrase 'pause for thought' used a few times recently, and each time thought it should really be 'cause for thought' . I've had a quick look - and I still think it should be. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Gives pause for thought' meaning something caught your attention and made you think is correct usage I think.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cognomen. Stanley's address line contains this feature. A lot of people keep these hidden from public view, why I don't know.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had to look it up to be sure what you meant P. I think you refer to 'Challenger'. That was my mother's maiden name and I am a firm believer that it should always be used as the woman's name is obliterated in modern naming practice. Apart from anything else it makes genealogy a lot more efficient! (I'm proud of it as well....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

I agree Stanley, it certainly makes it easier when chasing family history. Not so applicable these days though, even if people do get married women tend not to change their name. I think that's a good idea.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the nice things about reading books by a man like Diarmid Macculloch is the plethora of new words he exposes you too and the fact he uses many archaic words. One that is almost archaic surfaced today, 'wideboy' In the sense of spiv or dodgy character. It's a long time since I saw anyone use it.
'Tawdry' came up and he gave the same etymology that I found on line. "early 17th century: short for tawdry lace, a fine silk lace or ribbon worn as a necklace in the 16th–17th centuries, contraction of St Audrey's lace : Audrey was a later form of Etheldrida (died 679), patron saint of Ely where tawdry laces, along with cheap imitations and other cheap finery, were traditionally sold at a fair."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'Shrievality' The office or jurisdiction of a sheriff. Sheriff itself derives from 'shire-reeve'. Another archaic word from Diarmid......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

BBC news today, Raynauds disease, accentuated by cold weather. As a young lad in Yorkshire lakin out in't cowd weather if i felt nesh and went indoors to warm missen ad get "hot aches" as my hands thawed out, was this a form of Raynauds ?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think you were experiencing what all of us find when our hands get very cold then you warm them up fast - it can be painful. It sounds like Raynauds people feel it even with slight cold or with other things that trigger it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once got hypothermia trying to dig my tanker out of a snow drift. I was near Black Dyke Mills at Queensbury near Bradford. A young lass sent out by her father for the evening paper tripped over me collapsed in a snow drift and she ran to the mill for help. They got me up to the mill where they always had a nurse on duty and I came to in a bath of warm water. I remember that hurting as I gradually thawed out! I think that lass saved my life...... What a good job her father was hard on her!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have a mild form of Raynauds, just a slight stimulus can send the blood from my fingers even in warm conditions.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What triggers it Wendy? Occasionally it happens to me and I normally have very warm hands.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm not sure Stanley, it's been happening for so long that I don't pay much attention and it's a while before I realise that my finger nails are blue!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sometimes get it in just one finger and like you, have never known the reason. I have always put it down to 'bad circulation' but suspect there is more to it than that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

'cill' meaning a ledge, usually windows but the base of the entrance to a canal lock as well. Usually spelt 'sill' in modern usage but if you look up the etymology you'll find this "From Old Irish cell, from Latin cella." So I'll stick to my archaic usage, the 'C' is backed up by the origin.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 7;size=150

Scroll to the description of "truing a fly wheel " the use of the word, fudging ?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 07:54 I'm not sure Stanley, it's been happening for so long that I don't pay much attention and it's a while before I realise that my finger nails are blue!
My wife has it, she was told it's all to do with core body temperature. If your body thinks it's cold it restricts the blood flow to the extremities, seems a bit odd that the only restrictions she experiences is one or two fingers on one hand.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz has trouble with some fingers getting cold too. Sometimes one of my fingers takes on a blue tinge and swells a bit but it seems to be due to a nerve or blood vessel being nipped by the joint.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bodge, never come across 'fudge' used specifically for truing flywheels but in that case it's accurate and I'd class that as a 'Bodge' (!) See Newton's description of doing the same thing but properly with a tool in a slide rest set up specially for the job so it can be done in situ. See his description of doing it at Dobson's Dairy.
Fingers (don't know how they got in here. I always put mine down to that finger having a poor supply due to injury of some sort. In warm conditions the flow was adequate but as soon as the body slowed circulation to service the core it suffered first.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”