TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Post by Tizer »

Whyperion wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:14 It is thought that some birds have a kind of lodestone material in their heads the brain can access. Has it been checked for in dinosaurs and mammalian brains /skulls?
This abstract from a 2001 research paper in a neurobiology journal sums up the current thinking...
`Orientation, navigation, and homing are critical traits expressed by organisms ranging from bacteria through higher vertebrates. Sensory systems that aid such behavior have provided key selective advantages to these groups over the past 4 billion years, and are highly evolved; magnetoreception is no exception. Across many species and groups of organisms, compelling evidence exists that the physical basis of this response is tiny crystals of single-domain magnetite (Fe3O4). It is the opinion of the authors that all magnetic field sensitivity in living organisms, including elasmobranch fishes, is the result of a highly evolved, finely-tuned sensory system based on single-domain, ferromagnetic crystals.' LINK

On a different topic..
`Ozone layer: Concern grows over threat from replacement chemicals' LINK
`Substances used for air conditioning in almost all new cars are building up in the environment and may pose a threat to human health, researchers say. These "ozone friendly" chemicals have been introduced to replace products that were damaging the ozone layer. Now widely used across industry, these alternatives do not break down in the environment. Scientists have now found increasing levels of these chemicals in Arctic ice samples dating back to the 1990s..'.

`....Canadian researchers, studying ice samples from the Arctic dating back to the 1990s, have found "dramatically" increasing levels of ozone replacements called short chain perfluoroalkyl carboxylic acids (scPFCAs). "We're seeing much, much larger levels, on the order of 10 times higher now than we saw before the Montreal Protocol," said Prof Cora Young, from York University in Toronto, the study's corresponding author. "We don't know a lot about them and their potential toxicity, but we do know that we are committing the environment to a great deal of contamination."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"single-domain, ferromagnetic crystals."
I wonder if I have them as well. :biggrin2:
Freon replacement. I thought we'd solved that one Tiz, apparently not. We do complicate things don't we. Perhaps it's time to go back to ammonia!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 15 May 2020, 08:55
Whyperion wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:14 It is thought that some birds have a kind of lodestone material in their heads the brain can access. Has it been checked for in dinosaurs and mammalian brains /skulls?
This abstract from a 2001 research paper in a neurobiology journal sums up the current thinking...
`Orientation, navigation, and homing are critical traits expressed by organisms ranging from bacteria through higher vertebrates. Sensory systems that aid such behavior have provided key selective advantages to these groups over the past 4 billion years, and are highly evolved; magnetoreception is no exception. Across many species and groups of organisms, compelling evidence exists that the physical basis of this response is tiny crystals of single-domain magnetite (Fe3O4). It is the opinion of the authors that all magnetic field sensitivity in living organisms, including elasmobranch fishes, is the result of a highly evolved, finely-tuned sensory system based on single-domain, ferromagnetic crystals.' LINK
Firstly on the Ozone friendly bit, yes noted there is a build up, but any adverse effect seems unknown at the present time. It would make sense for refridgerants inc vehicle and building air conditioning, that incident damage aside, closed loop recycling needs to be carried out, and this must be done freely arranged by local authorities, I see too many fridges dumped, with the copper piping cut for the small man to take a few bits to make some money, this must stop.

On the magnetism, if most cells are essentially electro-magnetic with internal electron bonds there would be no need as such for the Fe element for sensory requirements, presumbly the Fe enhances the response, at bit like a transformer in an electrical circuit.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An elegant piece of research on the asteroid impact that killed off, or helped to kill off, the big* dinosaurs.
`Dinosaur asteroid's trajectory was 'perfect storm'' LINK
(*People tend to forget that the dinosaurs didn't become extinct - they developed wings and now terrorise people who are eating pasties or chips at the seaside!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good grief. . .

Quantum oscillation

:laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Snake Oil. I have a piece of string that can tie up the hole in the ozone layer, sell you it for £1 million. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, you'll notice that the BBC article also refers to Glastonbury Town Council's 5G Advisory Committee. They've been in the local news here for a while now. The Committee has a preponderance of `gulllibles' who support anti-5G and anti-vax etc. Unfortunately the `normal' people on the Committee have been resigning from it and leaving the town in the hands of wierdos. Glastonbury has always been a centre for such people (think King Arthur, spiritual healers, crystal fanatics etc) but now it's getting into a dangerous stage where people are going to suffer harm through thinking they are invulnerable because of the things promoted by the wierdos. It worries me too that this sort of behaviour is beginning to spread well beyond Glastonbury and is accelerated by the current tide of populism.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Included in the cranks is one James Dyson in my book. He is regarded as an ingenious self made man, (on the rich list no less). He, like the Snake Oil salesmen and magic crystal sellers has made his money on pseudo science gadgets with no proven substance in the real world of physics. He sells those to thousands of gullible people as well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why does my mind fly to P T Barnum? "There's one born every minute!".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's something based on scientific evidence which is going to prove very useful as it gets to a commercial stage...
`The little lights now packing a deadly punch' LINK
"The tech we are working on could transform water sanitisation techniques and offer access to clean drinking water to even remote developing regions via portable systems," says Christian Zollner from the University of California in Santa Barbara. Mr Zollner has been working on light emitting diodes (LEDs), the long-lasting technology in modern lightbulbs. They are probably in the lightbulbs in your house, or the headlamps of your car. Because they are tough and energy efficient, researchers are always trying to find new ways of using them. Mr Zollner and his team have been working on LEDs that emit ultraviolet light, in particular UV-C light, which is deadly to bacteria and viruses, including the coronavirus. His goal is to make those LEDs more powerful, robust and cheaper. "Right now, UV LEDs are capable of a few milliwatts of power. Our aim is to make them 10 to 20 times more powerful. "Our focus previously was mainly on using them for water sterilisation, but the Covid-19 pandemic has made us realise there is also a big market for sanitising surfaces and equipment. If there is another virus situation in say five or 10 years, this technology could be very useful."
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew about the power of Ultra Violent light Tiz but not the LEDs. Wonderful technology, more power to their elbow!
That water bottle is a miracle!
I remember many years ago discovering that Johnson and Johnson insisting that sub contractors who packed sterile fabric products using tables with black Formica tops as they said they were the most sterile. Never really understood that. We automatically associate white with clean but that's not necessarily the case.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Head lamps have been killing bugs for a long time
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Some of the early LEDs produced an excessive amount of Ultraviolet that they presented a danger to eyesight. Mainly used in agriculture for extending daylight hours at a low cost.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I used to work with a bloke who loved malapropisms and he converted me to 'ultra-violent' light, so much more descriptive! He talked about insulting tape and non-ferocious metals as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Bodger wrote: 30 May 2020, 05:03 Head lamps have been killing bugs for a long time.
Ah, so that's why there's a decline in insect life, and there was me thinking it was due to pesticides! :extrawink:
Stanley wrote: 31 May 2020, 03:16 I used to work with a bloke who loved malapropisms and he converted me to 'ultra-violent' light, so much more descriptive! He talked about insulting tape and non-ferocious metals as well.
A friend of mine always told people he drove a Ford Fester.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Anglia is always an Angle Box to me.....
Elon Musk and Space-X. Quite amazing, especially the first stage landing automatically on the ship for recovery and re-use. Imagine standing on the deck watching it come in and wondering how good the calculations were!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Better resolution...but more clutter `up there'....
`Planet's satellites aim for still sharper view of Earth' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite amazing isn't it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Makes one wonder why these people are putting all this money into just getting better pictures or even better internet coverage. Its said that the more advanced countries know more about the mineral potential of the poor countries than than those countries themselves. Then we see the US offering up satellite pictures of the traffic flow round hospital in China. They could probably know more about our own economy than we do.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

In some ways the more you know they less influence you have to change things
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted that one of the factors in the search for information about just when Covid started in China is analysis of the traffic round hospitals and the number of cars in the car park.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's unwise - I have learned over the last few years - with the rise of the internet as a means of getting news, to rely on anything which involves a photograph.

I looked at the photos, and my first thought was - is it that simple, what does that prove? There are organisations from all sides who wish to influence our thinking. Perhaps one photo was taken at weekend, and another during a busier weekday?

Stay sceptical. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

With regard to the photos of Chinese hospitals, China's leaders have pointed out the same concerns as Tripps notes. It's easy to make up a story these days! :smile: (Although there's a lot going on in and around China that those leaders deny but I believe, such as the military islands in the South China Sea.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right David....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”