TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Post by Stanley »

Then of course there are other contributory factors like life style. My top tip is still listen to your body. Mine told me they were actually causing pain but it took me a while to get the message.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think THIS belongs here. A report on the terrible pollution on Henderson Island which is one of the most remote uninhabited places on earth.... It's so sad....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Bloodhound supersonic car set for October trials' LINK
"The Bloodhound supersonic car will run for the first time on 26 October. It is going to conduct a series of "slow speed" trials on the runway at Newquay airport in Cornwall. Engineers want to shake down the vehicle's systems before heading out to South Africa next year to try to break the land speed record. This stands at 763mph (1,228km/h), and Bloodhound's aim is to raise the mark in two stages - by getting first to 800mph and then to 1,000mph....".
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I wonder how they stop it from rolling over when they turn the torque on? Put wings on it!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never been able to understand this need for speed. I've always been one for the tortoise approach, after all the Greeks believed in it! My wagon and trailer was limited on the governor to 52mph and often as I drove up the country I noted that the same cars often overtook me more than once and each time they were going like the clappers (Often with skis strapped to the roof rack).
As for the torque, I suspect that the limiting factor is the aerodynamics P.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wireless charging of moving electric vehicles overcomes major hurdle`' June 14, 2017 Stanford University
"Scientists have developed a way to wirelessly deliver electricity to moving objects, technology that could one day charge electric vehicles and personal devices like medical implants and cell phones." LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting.... Sounds as though it is related to the well known phenomenon of an induced charge from high voltage sources such as grid power lines.
When the M6 was put in round Carlisle one of the elevated junctions was under a supergrid line. It was a convenient place to stop and have a peep at my ladies and a cup of tea. I soon found that on a dry day the box built up a static charge (it was a wooden body but had a steel frame). If you reached up and touched the metal catch of the calf door you got a considerable belt of static! I soon worked out that the cure was to jump up, grabbing the wooden edge of the lower air vents and look in that way. I admit to catching one or two unfortunates out by asking them to open the calf door.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Transmitting power transmission like this is reminiscent of Nikola Tesla Link. . when he built the Wardenclyffe Tower with the intention of transmitting FREE power round the world. "...and power by controlling "vibrations throughout the globe" When the banks and coal barons realized what he was really up to they pulled the plug and withdrew the funding. His papers are still state secrets.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reminds me of the bloke who invented a pill you mixed with water to make petrol......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tesla was nothing less than a genius. Years after his death a Nobel prize was given for calculating the vibration rate of the Earth, only to find that Tesla had done it 38 years previously. Since the prize had been handed out they couldn't withdraw it. Another Link.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

More Brexit problems...
`Galileo contract faces Brexit crunch' LINK

Dear Mr Cameron,
How was the population at large supposed to have been qualified to make a judgement on staying in or leaving the EU when there were matters like this to be taken into account?
Signed, Mr Angry, Somerset
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good link Tiz and a sound point. Problem is that Cameron was thick I'm afraid. He had no idea what he was messing with. Can you imagine him being let loose in my shed?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS looks like an encouraging development as it could be used to deliver other medications as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`The rock that records how we all got here' LINK
"You're going to want to touch it; you're definitely going to want to run your fingers over its wavy lines. This 2.5-tonne lump of rock will be one of the new star exhibits when London's Natural History Museum re-opens its front entrance-space in a couple of weeks' time....I want you to head for one alcove in particular on the right, just under the whale's tail. It'll hold a specimen of banded iron formation, or BIF. About 2m along the base and 1.5m high, the object represents a wonderful juxtaposition between the animate (whale) and the inanimate (rock) and the very deep connection that exists between the two. BIFs were laid down on ocean floors more than two billion years ago. They record a key chemical transition in Earth's history when oxygen started to become abundant. It was a profound change that would ultimately make complex life - such as the giant cetaceans - possible. Those wavy lines in the BIF are bands of iron oxide (mostly haematite) interspersed with chert (silica)."
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is so much out there that I have no knowledge of Tiz. I'm doing my best to rectify this but geology is one of the areas I have neglected!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jun 2017, 03:27 Good link Tiz and a sound point. Problem is that Cameron was thick I'm afraid. He had no idea what he was messing with. Can you imagine him being let loose in my shed?
I thought Cameron had the best education money could buy ?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Unfortunately `the best education that money can buy' often turns out to be inferior to `the best education'! At one point Cameron's Oxford tutor, Professor Vernon Bogdanor, said, "I think he is very confused. I've read his speech and it's filled with contradictions. There are one or two good things in it but one glimpses them, as it were, through a mist of misunderstanding". LINK

Back to science...
`Dirty laundry: Are your clothes polluting the ocean?' LINK
More on the `microplastics' passing from our clothing to the marine environment, and further down the article we hear about perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs) coming from waterproofed garments. It looks like we'll be switching back to oilskins!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I was thinking about the 'plastic in the Pacific ' problem yesterday, and consoled myself by thinking that - at least this one pollution problem that I have not contributed to in any way whatsoever. Now you've spoiled my smugness.

My mind turns to Dr Heinz Kiosk from Peter Simple - "we are all guilty" :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can remember when Q tips had wooden shanks, now they are plastic and virtually indestructible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Back in September 2016....I wonder if it's become another U-turn?
`Plastic microbeads to be banned by 2017, UK government pledges' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Micro-beads and the health of the oceans are not matters that loom large in politics at the moment....
Let's see , wasn't 2016/17 the predicted date of the tipping point in CO2 emissions? (LINK) So what does Trump do?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Remember when the abrasive Ajax and Vim household cleaners gave way to the modern versions with no abrasive and just composed of soapy surfactants? I think that happened because the manufacturers became scared of repercussions when the abrasive damaged customers items. Just the other day I got a surprise. I used a new bottle of a supermarket cream cleaner and...it was gritty! It also seemed to abrade the surface on which I used it. I looked at the ingredients list and there was nothing solid among them. So why did it feel gritty? The first things to come to mind were microbeads and minerals such as silica and titanium dioxide. The cleaners aren't as strictly regulated as foodstuffs, so we can't assume that all the ingredients are declared on the pack. I've just looked at a Tesco online page for `Cif Original Cream Cleaner' and found this: Ingredients: 5-15% Anionic Surfactant, <5% Non-Ionic Surfactants, Soap, Perfume, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzisothiazolinone. Again, all that would be liquid, there's nothing gritty among those. Then I saw this further information in the promotional blurb: "Cif cream cleaner removes the dirt you never thought you'd get rid of. The micro-particles and degreasing agents penetrate and lift-up the dirt all around your home, bringing back the shine. You just can't get away from these microbeads and mineral granules! (By the way, Colgate toothpaste contains silica and polyethylene. Titanium dioxide is used in some toothpastes and in many cosmetics.)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today's tip: anybody who has a coffee grinder machine, the ones with high speed cutter blades, can make their own gentle and environmentally friendly scouring powder from walnut shells or similar shells. Walnut shell is used for cleaning turbine blades in jet engines.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5903190_clean-e ... hells.html
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I still use Vim.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So do I Wendy. Tiz performs a valuable service by pointing out what goes on behind the scenes with the modern household products and this includes cosmetics. Then there is the increasing use of nano-technology as well..... (and esoteric ingredients in 'air fresheners'.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”