TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TIZER'S SCIENCE NEWS

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if the anti-vaxers believe in things like quantum theory or do they call it fake news? :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They don't recognise anything that isn't already present in their own deluded minds Peter!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Any OG member will know why this story brightened my day! It was on today's BBC news but I went to the NHM web site to get their story...
`Beautiful new emerald-green mineral described from Cornwall ' NHM
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fascinating article Peter. I particularly like the fact they have had the specimen for 220 years. It makes you wonder how many more surprises they could get if more old specimens could be assessed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 10:30 I wonder if the anti-vaxers believe in things like quantum theory or do they call it fake news? :smile:
I want to know how they think the world got rid of smallpox. Has polio gone now, there was a concerted effort to get rid of it .
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 24 Dec 2020, 12:55
Tizer wrote: 21 Dec 2020, 10:30 I wonder if the anti-vaxers believe in things like quantum theory or do they call it fake news? :smile:
I want to know how they think the world got rid of smallpox. Has polio gone now, there was a concerted effort to get rid of it .
Unfortunately the anti vaxers have a massive public platform to spread their rubbish. Sadly a lot of people believe their rubbish
Screenshot_20201209-194020_Metal Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose I am verging on being an anti-vaxer at the moment but for very good reasons and only until it is available in Barlick. My travelling days are over! This doesn't bother me at all, I'm just glad to be here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You're not an anti-vaxer, you're an anti-traveller! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

It popped back, partially in Africa where there was a backlash against Western 'interference' in forcing vaccines on natives. Covid is also impacting on other health programs, which need more than national or local govenment to by into, but also the very local leaders and influences to be happy with the aim and roll-out of such health programmes in their communities.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Whyperion wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 23:42
It popped back, partially in Africa where there was a backlash against Western 'interference' in forcing vaccines on natives. Covid is also impacting on other health programs, which need more than national or local govenment to by into, but also the very local leaders and influences to be happy with the aim and roll-out of such health programmes in their communities.
I remember, when I was teaching, showing a video of the British army trying to vaccinate all children against polio. I always thought it was a huge task to try and achieve. I think it must be one of the few pockets of the disease left. It will spread of course with so many declining vaccinations these days.

I see Germany , i think it was Germany, has got on delivering the Covid vaccine, and said they weren’t going to wait for a common start date by the EU states. They have it, it has been approved, they are using it for the well being of their people
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report about health systems 'jumping the gun' and I thought well done you. What stupidity to sit there with vaccine available and not get on with using it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Polio...
`Polio was nearly extinct. Then the anti-vaxx movement reached Pakistan' LA Times
`BANNU, Pakistan: An anti-vaccination movement rooted in suspicions of modern medicine. Unsubstantiated rumors fueled by social media. Children infected with a disease that had been all but wiped out. Polio is making a troubling comeback in Pakistan, and it is being driven by some of the same forces spreading measles in the United States. Two years after health officials declared they were on the verge of eradicating the crippling childhood disease from Pakistan, one of the last countries where it remains endemic, at least 58 children here have tested positive for the virus since January. That is nearly five times the total of all of last year, and the most in a calendar year since 2014 — a major setback for a $1-billion-a-year global eradication campaign.

`Some 2 million Pakistani households have refused immunizations for children since April, when reports circulated on television channels, Facebook and Twitter that children had fallen ill after a vaccination drive at a school in the northern city of Peshawar. None of those adverse reactions were serious enough to require hospitalization, according to health officials. But the rumors revived long-standing myths about the dangers of vaccinations in Pakistan that the decades-long eradication effort has fought to dispel..'.

This a good book review in the journal Nature - you won't need to read the book, the review is enough for us!
`Vaccines — lessons from three centuries of protest: Immunization has always been a proxy for wider fears about social control, a history reminds us.' Nature
`Anti-vaxxers: How to Challenge a Misinformed Movement Jonathan M. Berman MIT Press (2020)
The need to control outbreaks and pandemics has long created tensions between liberty and interdependence, similar to those playing out worldwide today. Anti-vaxxers is a book that reminds us of the historical precedents to the odd alliances — anti-vaccine, anti-mask, anti-5G, for instance — that are getting in the way of public health right now..'.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

anti-5G, for instance Nothing I have read points the finger at 5G phones, the concern if any is about the focused micro-waves from the transmission masts This focusing is not needed with the standard mobile transmission. There has always been some degree of worry about the affect on people who lived near transmitters but this has largely been disproved. Perhaps what we are seeing now is a re-run of the original worries.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Anti 5G.... I have to admit I'm always happier when not in close proximity to masts and pylons. There are local effects and we are told they are not damaging but a small doubt still lingers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 13:02 There has always been some degree of worry about the affect on people who lived near transmitters but this has largely been disproved. Perhaps what we are seeing now is a re-run of the original worries.
Stanley wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 03:25 There are local effects
Could you please explain what they are?

As Ken says extensive studies have been undertaken by various offices regarding the effect of exposure to RF fields. There is no supporting evidence that in the case of commercial transmissions and under normal exposure times / distance etc that there are any detrimental effects to human physiology. You need highly focused and high power exposure at specific frequencies such as used in Radiotherapy for there to be any effects. In the case of all forms of radio based medical therapies using radiation, or extremely high frequency Gamma Knife procedures, targeted RF fields can be of benefit in the treatment of cancerous tumours and surgical procedures that cannot be accessed by a scalpel.

We are constantly being irradiated by our own star and since the advent of wireless technology the atmosphere has been swamped with RF fields right across the frequency spectrum. You would not like to suffer the irradiation and EMP effect of a nuclear explosion but that is a long way from the mobile masts on the top of the fire station tower or the TV transmitter at East Marton.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Ian, some years ago it was proposed to put a conventional mast near my friends house about 70 yards away. Along with the proposal was a graph showing the radiation intensity. Surprisingly the intensity increased to a maximum at about 50 yards then dissipated again as one would expect. At that time schools and hospitals had to be well away from the mast. This particular mast never materialised.
G5 uses a focused microwave beam at a higher energy level requiring more masts to get the same coverage.

I've watched a number of YouTube clips by this lady and she appears to be informative and impartial. Rather long but worth watching

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A good video and well presented. Love the VPN advert at the end!

Radio Amateurs have been experimenting and using these frequencies and above for years. This is often the case, VHF bands at one time were only given to the Amateur service because they were thought unusable, same goes for UHF, SHF etc. There is a dedicated section in RadCom (RSGB monthly members magazine) every issue for experimenters in the higher frequencies.

Directional signals will be used to link the nodes in the infrastructure. Omnidirectional at relative points to give the coverage. Like the lady says it is all relative to power levels. Not going to live in a Faraday cage just yet.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I reckon being too close to Religion, Facebook and Twitter are more dangerous than radiation from mobile-phone masts! :extrawink:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 16:55 I reckon being too close to Religion, Facebook and Twitter are more dangerous than radiation from mobile-phone masts! :extrawink:
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On the whole I agree that we have little to worry about but Ian challenges me to give evidence of effects. Take a 60 feet long cattle wagon with a metal framed body and park it under a very high voltage transmission line on a dry day. Then get out a touch any part of the frame. I guarantee you will never want to do it again! It's called an induced charge Ian.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I am fully aware of induced charging having spent my working life working in electronics of one sort or another. What you describe is totally different to EMR from radio, TV and mobile phone infrastructure. You can get a belt getting in and out of a car if you have the wrong combination of clothes on due to static build up. Shocking but it wont kill you.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You asked for an example of a local effect and got one. Given a choice between no effect and even a small one no matter what the source, I'll go for complete freedom from any effect thank you·
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 12:40 You asked for an example of a local effect and got one.

I believe the point being discussed was about 5G infrastructure and mobile phone masts etc and not 11 and 33KV 50Hz transmission lines?

But if you insist on parking what equates to more or less an extremely large capacitor under a high voltage pylon, what can you expect?

Pretty safe in a thunderstorm though. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of new research into the flight of butterflies which claims to have solved problems of how they manage their large and theoretically aerodynamically flawed wings. Basically they cup them and generate an enhanced thrust when taking off by in effect squeezing a lump of air out behind them. (Or at least, that's what I understand from the report.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”