Superstore developments

Tardis

Re: Superstore developments

Post by Tardis »

I agree about the printer's/stationers.

I picked up a box of envelopes in Burnley's Staples the other day because my order was too small really to justify an online order to Viking Direct
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The government inspector considering the Aldi planning application has turned down the appeal by the developers.

The inspector agreed with the decision of local councillors that the cumulative impact on the town centre of an Aldi and the larger store planned for the Albert Hartley site would be too great.

(Apologies for duplicate post - realised I should have put it in this thread.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So who has planning permission now and where?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The Albert Hartley site has consent for a large store, as long as the development includes building a new factory for the company to replace the existing buildings.

This development will need approval for detailed plans.

It's not known yet which supermarket chain will operate this new store.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good, that was the one I favoured, seems to have possible benefits all round and already an industrial site. And no flooding danger.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'll probably still do most of my shopping at the Co-op. Nice and compact. The wife used to do a bit of shopping at Tesco when she goes to Padiham to look after her father, of late she's been using the Co-op in Barlick because "Its a lot of work at Tesco". We tried Aldi in Colne a couple of weeks back when we had a bit of time. It wasn't that much cheaper (Listening to some people, their prices are almost miraculous, not my experience) and some of their stuff was poor quality in comparison to the Co-ops. The extra time and fuel getting there negates much of the gain, so we probably won't bother again.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I'm on foot and in the Co-op's back yard I shan't be making regular trips to whoever the new store is. Apart from a bit of a nosey round of course! I spend more in the town than at the Co-op anyway....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Plans for a smaller Aldi store adjacent to Albert Hartleys have now been submitted to Pendle. David will probably post the plan if he picks up on this thread. It's already posted over in local Facebook land
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I saw a brief mention in the BET last week, or was it the week before....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Here's the plan of the proposed store.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It looks sensible to me......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

An aspect that'll interest Stanley is the issue of Crow Nest Syke, one branch of which flows beneath the area of the mill to be developed.

Whether or not that was the original course, I suspect it was encouraged that way when the mill was built as it discharges into the mill lodge alongside Stocks Beck.

Sometime in the 20th century a new culvert was constructed down Crownest Road, which takes the main flow of the syke. However, the old route is still capable of taking water, though CCTV surveys have revealed several obstructions along it. Given that the section down Crownest Road isn't big enough for the highest levels of rainfall, it'd be good to get the old section working fully.

I drew this to the attention of the developers when we met them earlier this year (they said they weren't aware of the culvert), and they promised to investigate what was there.

I'm hopeful that any re-development will be an opportunity to renew the obstructed stretch and provide better drainage for the Crow Nest catchment.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Hopefully they will listen to a bit of local knowledge, could save them money and embarrassment later on.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You are almost certainly correct David, they would harvest every adjacent water resource during the build. Good that you alerted them to it, you can't have too much efficient drainage! Point them at what happened in July 1932 and particularly at Calf Hall where the culvert burst through the floor.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Surprised that no one has mentioned our new shiny Aldi Store in here, I know I have mentioned it elsewhere. Anyway, fully up and running and well received by the majority. I certainly like it, well designed modern layout, very wide isles inside. Car Park has very generous bays as well. Easy to negotiate but have to learn where everything is yet.

Bit of minor dissent regarding no adjacent ramp for wheeled users at the side of the pedestrian entrance off Skipton Road, (they have to go round the corner). Also some have complained about the delayed opening of the automatic doors on exit, apparently this is standard on new build supermarkets to delay potential shoplifters who grab and run. No one can be so time poor that they cant spare a couple of seconds so I cant really see this as a proper downer, folk need to slow down and chill a bit more. :extrawink:

I can see us using it a lot but should add that it wont stop us using the town centre shops, the Coop and One Stop, been in most of them today. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I used to use the Aldi in Skipton, or Lidl in Colne, until the new Barlick Aldi opened. Any out of town trips now won't be shopping related :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too far for me to carry bags, might look in one day when Susan is here with her car.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No sooner said than done. Susan has the car and was going to Aldi anyway to stock up after her absence in Kenya so we shall be sampling the delights this morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one thing marred my visit to Aldi.... The fact that I rushed out of the house with my reading glasses on and so was definitely hampered! General impressions were wide aisles, good lighting and ease of reaching items on the top shelves. The veg looked very good and fresh, I bought a swede and it isn't dried out at all. I sampled their baked beans at less than 25p an A4 tin and even bought a pair of diabetic socks, something I have never seen before. Didn't see any tobacco, butter or cheese but as I say my vision was limited.
I have arranged with Susan that when she comes for a big shop she'll call in for me and take me again. Nice little Patterdale cross terrier sat outside waiting for its companion animal......
One thing that did strike me was the different layout at the check out and the frenetic speed the young lady was working at!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 03:49 Didn't see any tobacco, butter or cheese but as I say my vision was limited.
Not that I've looked but I don't believe they sell tobacco...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The speed of the checkouts is a result of them using the latest multi angle bar scanning tills, same in most of the newer stores. Could also be that the operation model of the stores is that almost all staff do all jobs and are rotated regularly. They only open checkout isles as necessary and shut them down if not require re tasking the operator, I think they have frequent breaks also, staff communication via bluetooth headsets, slick operation and a different work ethic to many of the others.

Should mention that they do sell butter and cheese you must have missed it without your specs, it's with all the other dairy stuff.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

They do a good full fat Greek Yoghurt and have an excellent selection of dark chocolate, either 85% for softies like me or 91% for tough folk like Colin.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The glasses were definitely a mistake!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just done what for me is quite a substantial shop at the Co-op. I remembered that I have some divi owing to me and so got a £23 shop for nothing. That counts for quite a lot of pennies saved at Aldi...... I still have £12 left.
Never mind working out how long it takes to get the divi, it's a very nice feeling to walk out with a free shop!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”