Superstore developments

Phil

Re: Superstore developments

Post by Phil »

I remember the open market at the Brook Street car park and as Ian says it was in the late fifties, but I remember vistising the majestic with much more clarity than the Brook Street market, which could only have been very small as at the time the cark park was less that half the size it is now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Market at Majestic was indoors. After about 1925 there was a market on the site of the burned out Alhambra in Butts, now the Clinic. Before WW1 there were always stalls on Church Street on Saturday. At one time, probably until WW1 there was a livestock Market in the Street outside the Seven Stars.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Ann in the Rainhall Centre is trying to run a food festival on the 31st March, which I believe is a celebration of homemade food.

Maybe you can ask her to join in and put it in the events here.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

There may be a twist:

If Asda do submit a bid to build, then it could become a run off between the two developments with 'no store' being removed as an option.
barlickrog

Post by barlickrog »

Re Brooke St market, I think it went on into the sixties at the bottom was Halsteads electrical shop, I left school in 1964 and i used to walk home with Mick Halstead , he always went to the shop after school, I think it was only certain days, and like Ian i remember the fent stall, Nolic do you remember Halsteads ???

Barlick Rog

Who is that guy on the Hammond b3
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

There is a summer Sunday AM car boot down at Salterforth, but I think LCC enforce that it is no new goods. Indoor one at Foulridge occasional Sunday Mornings.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see you back Roger. Enjoy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Hi rog, welcome back. I was certainly around Barlick in the 60's - still a very frequent visitor after we moved to Earby but I still do not recall a market on Brook Street.
Sorry I don't remember Halstead's either. At the bottom left hand side facing Church Street was Wilkinsons/Harkers bakery and if I recall correctly Greenwoods outfitters on the other side. There was a shop at the Brook Street end of Orchard Street that was always empty. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I recall Halstead’s electrical shop but not where it was located. Went to junior school with Melvin Halstead - not sure if it was his family’s shop?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Off Topic
Halsteads, on Rainhall Road, bottom of York Street? and we had Shorock's opposite the Majestic where the choccy shop is now (later Redifusion). Tidswell & Saunders on Skipton Road, top block opposite Holy Trinity, Harry Gralicks where they are now, but I think Harry started out in one of the wooden shops that preceded the building of the Post office Buildings.
Ian
barlickrog

Post by barlickrog »

Yes Nolic, the empty shop on Garden St was opposite Halsteads that would be at the back of Wilkinsons, pehaps that may well have been the workshop, but i only remember that shop on Garden St being empty apart from passing by at one time and seeing some old furniture in it, funny how some places are always empty.

Barlick Rog

The man in the suit has bought a new car with the profit he made on your dreams
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tardis wrote:There may be a twist:

If Asda do submit a bid to build, then it could become a run off between the two developments with 'no store' being removed as an option.
You may well be right about one of two options and drop the third. A smaller Asda may be seen as a "lesser of two evils" option for many in the town.
Ian
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Tesco were at the Jobs Fair in the rainhall Centre
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Got a letter this morning stating that 90% are for a Tesco in Barlick.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Big Kev wrote:Got a letter this morning stating that 90% are for a Tesco in Barlick.
90% of the people who went to first meeting (about 500), but Tesco haven't actually allowed independant verification.

Since then, 600 sent in the letters of objection, and the poll conducted by the Co-op suggested that 65% saw it as blighting the town centre.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see we have pro-Tesco leaflets being delivered. I could do without them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Interesting article on page 2 of the BET. Aldi, not Asda...

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/local ... _1_4284870
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Wal-Mart (Owners of Asda) (or Was it Asda directly ) , acquired Aldi's UK Operations sometime in 2010 I think , its part of their strategy to have those as smaller outlets.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Asda took over Netto in 2010. Aldi is still German owned, its an order of magnitude larger than Asda. Worldwide, its a similar size to Walmart and its all its subsidiary's .
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

'tis indeed German owned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got a pro-Tesco leaflet the other day. Straight on the fire. I wonder who's financing that delivery? Couldn't be Tesco surely....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The developers were at the Town Council meeting last night.

Whispers suggest they have offered £0.5million in 106 money to Pendle upon successful planning permission. I hear that there are some caveats on how it might be spent, and that none of it was available for moving the Cenotaph or improving the Memorial Gardens.

I think that we are still awaiting the LCC report into the road and traffic restructuring that they believe is necessary for the development.

Have heard that the Aldi application is not yet complete, some reports are missing, and until their submission it will not go onto the Pendle website and thus become a live application to consult the neighbours.

If Aldi does apply within the Tesco application then I believe it will be a straight choice between the two for the Town, because two is too many for the Council's own figures.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

With the number of cars parked on the upper end of Wellhouse Road (on both sides of the road), and the proximity of the Fire Station to the junction. I cannot see for the life in me how they could include using this route to and from the proposed supermarket site. Surely it would be better to use the main arterial route of Skipton Road and the through route of Valley Road through to Rainhall Road as the main traffic thoroughfares.
Of course this begs the question that if they shove all the traffic around the periphery there will be less chance of the supermarket customers stopping in the town centre.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Aldi , Asda, Lidl, Spar. I get confused with all these 4 letter words.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

PanBiker wrote:With the number of cars parked on the upper end of Wellhouse Road (on both sides of the road), and the proximity of the Fire Station to the junction. I cannot see for the life in me how they could include using this route to and from the proposed supermarket site. Surely it would be better to use the main arterial route of Skipton Road and the through route of Valley Road through to Rainhall Road as the main traffic thoroughfares.
Of course this begs the question that if they shove all the traffic around the periphery there will be less chance of the supermarket customers stopping in the town centre.
This is one of the issues, and the Town Green/Cenotaph are complications.

The other issue will simply be that currently the traffic from Ravenscroft is encouraged to go out along Valley Road/Rainhall Road, but the siting of the Tesco will encourage the bread and milk deliveries to come from the co-op via Wellhouse Road.

I believe that there are other engineering issues about the fact that the Tesco store could average about 90 cars per hour at the bottom of Wellhouse Road/Skipton Road junction, and obviously at peak usage many more. If a fast food outlet also opened on the site then traffic would further increase. Currently that junction can not cope with 3 cars every 2 minutes without some congestion.

Plus the bus stops may have to move as there is highly likely to be a new rash of double yellow lines to stop parking on the road, and that takes consultation.

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”