mummers

Yorksainty

mummers

Post by Yorksainty »

After spending new year back in barlick with my family my dad told me a story about 'mummers'. He said that on new years eve they would black up and go into peoples houses and do some cleaning jobs whilst keeping silent. He said it was some new years eve lancs tradition. So convinced was he that he was right and to stop us laughing he even started canvessing complete strangers on Turf Moor whilst watching the match. Is he mad or actually spot on with his historical ramblings. Any help appreciated
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: mummers

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to the site Yorksainty, your dad is not barmy, in fact he's pretty much spot on. I remember "mummers" from when I was a lad in the 50's. Old tradition and not just restricted to here up north. Related to the Mummers Plays as in this Wiki.
Ian
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I remember mummers coming to my aunts house around New Year in the 1960s and doing a few cleaning jobs as well as what I would describe as making a "humming sound" as they did the jobs. They frightened me to death, as it were, and I cried because they wore horrid green masks. My cousins were part of the gang of mummers which made things even more frightening. You had to give them some money or else they refused to go, and maybe a few drinks as well along the way. I don't think there are any mummers around today. :laugh5:
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

"Mumming" in winter is a very widespread tradition...It often takes the form of a "play" in which the characters introduce themselves with the words "In comes I....."
I "collected " a play from Chuckle Harris of Heckfield , Berkshire in the '70's, and performed it with friends from Kennet Morris...
It differs from region to region...lot's to discuss here , but it's late and , therefore..
....ninite !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome Yorky. Dad was dead right (as usual!). The cleaning house element taps into another very deep belief/tradition that good fairies helped in the house if all was well. There were bad fairies as well, stopping the cream breaking to butter in the churn and even stealing babies. Big hinterland and very complicated but definitely a very old tradition.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

New Years Eve was the big night for "mummers", rushing into houses and quickly going through a quick dust off, all in the belief of sweeping out the old and going forward with a clean slate. This was always done by us kids much like carolling at xmas, the expectation of financial reward. Places like the Ivory Hall and Majestic Ballroom were favourite places to hit because of the generous party goers.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We used to go in humming and sweep the hearth.
Say only a little but say it well.
busybees

Post by busybees »

I can remember having mummers come and sweep our hearth in the mid 70's. I found it scarey too but I was only 4 years old

Helen
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Where are they now when I need them! Hockham's version: http://greathockham.org/MollyDancers.aspx
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jules. I remember where I got my information about the good and bad fairies. It's in 'Religion and the Decline of Magic' by Keith Thomas. One of my favourite books. Go and look in there to see how you can attract the house-fairies! It must be deep in the folk memory. When I was staying with Martha in Northfield I was always up early and old habits die hard, I used to clean the kitchen sink. Martha said I was the best house guest ever because I attracted the Sink Fairy every night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I remember Mummers too, and being terrified, in fact I remember them from the vantage point of behind the kitched door, peeping through a crack, they were all blacked up and dusting the hearth. So that's what's behind my housework phobia! Not lazy.........traumatised! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good theory Belle. You stick to it! (!!!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”