GOOD TV

Tripps

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Tripps » 30 Nov 2017, 21:57

I think The Detectorists is running out of steam. perhaps best this is the final series.

Enjoyed Ray Mears last night (never thought I'd ever write that), on the US prairies. Lots I didn't know about the job. Buffalos in millions in the 19th century!

Kate Humble's series on women is interesting. Last week was a group in Northern India where the women are in charge, their surname is passed down, and the head of the family is the youngest daughter. Fascinating - she inherits the most, and is expected to care for the parents in their old age.

There are some benefits to constant channel hopping. :smile:
Born to be mild. . .

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 30 Nov 2017, 22:21

Blitz- The bombs that changed Britain.

I reported on the first episode in another thread and have recorded this evenings. Each episode tells of the knock on effects of a single bomb from the thousands that fell during the London blitz. The first episode was an unexploded bomb that fell on the very first night of the blitz and ultimately and surprisingly after great loss of life led to the genus of the National Health Service and the Welfare State.

Informative and surprising turns of history.
Ian

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 01 Dec 2017, 08:12

Tripps wrote:
30 Nov 2017, 21:57
I think The Detectorists is running out of steam. perhaps best this is the final series.
Agreed Tripps, there are still some wonderful moments though. I loved the club meeting scene in the latest episode with the talk on the cycling proficiency badge hoard followed by everyone agreeing that Lance wasn't facing up to the problems in his private life. You feel you know all the minor characters just as well as the main ones.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 01 Dec 2017, 08:32

Desert Island Disks on R4 is good this morning. The respondent is Naomi Klein. I have listened once and will do so again!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 16 Dec 2017, 12:32

We enjoyed Part 1 of the Helen Czerski TV programme on sound waves last night. Great demonstrations! LINK

Return to “TV”