GOOD TV

Gloria

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Gloria »

We’ve watched the first two of Time, and are thoroughly enjoying it, we will watch the last one tomorrow night.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I watched part of an episode of Happy Valley last evening, starring Sarah Lancashire. I'd watched a couple of previous ones and thought it was OK.

Last night after suffering the worst beating I've ever seen given to a woman on TV she was in hospital covered in blood and stitches, and there was talk of removing her spleen. Very shortly afterwards she was up and about completely recovered, and having a foul languaged row with her grandson.

I swiched it off. I think it's wrong for 'dramas' to infer that a severe beating is no problem and that you'll be OK by the next day. It's similar when they depict fires, which quietly blaze away in a corner whilst people come and go from the building.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to agree with that David. I have often felt the same about depictions of people being shot, especially with large calibre bullets like a .45. They don't gasp, grab their chest and crumple, it is far more violent than that.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Caught up on the 3rd and final “Time” last night, it certainly holds the attention.
Gloria
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

GB News is scheduled to start tonight at 8 pm. Originally due at the end of March - better late than never I suppose. With my usual open mind I've been looking forward to it for ages. :smile:

Said to be on Freesat Channel 216. Well - there's nothing there yet, and it's very near the due time. I've rescanned the system, but it doesn't show. Ah well thinks I - just have to watch it online until they sort it out.

First they stopped any progress in that direction, until I disabled my trusty ad blocker - which I did (under silent protest, and as a temporary measure). Then when I logged in again it was said I must download Windows Player 10. I thought I already had that - but in for a penny etc. I'd had enough when they demanded I change my browser to their choice befor I could progress.

I'll exercise my free choice - which I'm sure they will be in favour of, and I'll wait for a while longer I think.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's started up now Tripps...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Still nothing visible here - I may need counselling. Wait till I see that Andrew Neil. :smile:

PS - Tried it online with ads. Disappointing . The ads go on for ages, and for some reason are even more annoying when close up to me, and they are still plugging what wonderful things they are going to do.

As the lady from St Agur said- "just get on with it" :smile:

I'll try again in a couple of weeks - let them settle down.

PPS I think it's no coicidence that the Mail online now insists on no ad blocker too. The launch is the number one story in the Mail online.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Does anyone really think that Andrew Neil and a 'new' TV news service is going to be the answer?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just checked on Freesat 216 and it's there in glorious HD. The headline was the 4 week delay, to removing the remaining covid restrictions, which hasn't officially been announced yet so another speculative news reporter. What happened to reporting facts?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 03:26 Does anyone really think that Andrew Neil and a 'new' TV news service is going to be the answer?
Depends what the question is. . . :smile:
Early days, but I'm not impressed yet. The format would seem to me to be more suitable for Radio than TV, and close up ads are a big turn off. I'll try AN's show tonight.

Just heard a presenter say to his co presenter -'not a bucolic idyll then ?' to which she said 'you'll have to explain that to me. :smile:

Does anyone think the new Green Flag ad is a bit rude? I think I do.

Big Kev wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 08:28 Just checked on Freesat 216 and it's there in glorious HD.
Just me then. . . Not uncommon.

I think it may be due to the el cheapo Grundig box I use which is very old. If more people were not receiving we'd have heard more by now. I'll hold off for a bit, then consider a new box. I read that Humax don't do them any more. Whatever that means. It will involve changing leads at floor level which is a challenge these days. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Have you tried a 'retune' on the Grundig box?

You're right about Humax no longer being the preferred supplier for Freesat, there will still be some of the 1100S boxes left in the shops but any future software releases won't be available. I had to get a manual 'patch' to fix a YouTube issue on my 1100S as Humax didn't seem too keen to fix it.

The latest offering looks to be a Freesat branded 4k box made by Arris (I believethey are a reincarnation of Pace who made early Sky boxes), 4k seems a bit pointless as I'm unaware of any current free-to-air 4k channels although Netflix and YouTube offer it. It'll still provide the available channels, a basic box starts at £125 and the all singing and dancing 1TB recording box is £229. They are only available direct from Freesat.https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/s ... -4k-tv-box

Manhattan look to be the only other hardware provider for Freesat.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Watching a 2018 New Order concert that was on Sky Arts the other night, they sound pretty good. The concert was at Alexandra Palace, my claim to fame is putting the glass roof on in the late 1980s refurbishment of the building :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 18:41 Have you tried a 'retune' on the Grundig box?
Oh yes - several times I did an initial instal. :smile:

Now I have decided to not bother further. The format is not to my taste - three people on a couch talking doesn't do it for me, even if one is Andrew Neil, and not least, because of the adverts, which are compulsory. . Some are outrageous and should be illegal. This is from the VOLTEX electricity bill lowering device - I hope Pluggy gets to see it. Worth copying this excerpt as it is incredible. See youtube for more detail.

Q: It says I can’t unplug the device, Why?
A: It’s similar to a water or air filter. Voltex EMF Filters take time to completely filter the Dirty Electricity from your home (approximately 4-6 weeks for the average home). The moment you remove the filter the EMF dirty electricity will start to come back. So even though it is completely safe to unplug Voltex devices, we recommend you always leave them plugged in to maximize the amount of EMF Filtering and prevent any benefits to be lost.

Q: How long does it take to work?
A: Similar to any filter (like an air or water filter), Voltex EMF Filters take time to completely filter the Dirty Electricity from your home. The average home will need approximately 3-4 weeks for the electricity to be stabilized, filtered and cleaned

Please keep in mind, we have a 60-day Money-Back Guarantee. So you have full month to test Voltex and start to see the benefits. There’s absolutely no risk.

Big Kev wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 18:57 my claim to fame is putting the glass roof on in the late 1980s refurbishment of the building
If you looked down to the park at the front and saw a big white van with antennas on it - there's a fair chance that I was inside it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 20:28
Big Kev wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 18:57 my claim to fame is putting the glass roof on in the late 1980s refurbishment of the building
If you looked down to the park at the front and saw a big white van with antennas on it - there's a fair chance that I was inside it. :smile:
Cool 😎
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Filtering dirty electricity"
That sounds like a con to me. Am I missing something?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Watched episode 1 of Building Britain's Biggest Nuclear Power Station, it's a massive undertaking. The infrastructure around it is a big operation too from 'flat pack' hotels to dining facilities. It's on the iPlayer :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Andrew Neil is interviewing Rishi Sunak tonight at 8 pm, on his new station GBNews. That's a brave move from any politician. Can't imagine Boris doing it under any circumstances. :smile:

I've resolved my issues by installing it on my new phone. No need to disable the ad blocker, just pause it. Recent experience shows me that if I had to put up with all adverts, I'd have give up on the internet long ago. Actually if you don't put any Sim card in the phone you have what amounts to a mini tablet, and the screen size is quite watchable, - which can be handy.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, as Old Sparky points out this week in PE, lots of things being done but nothing on the reactors, he reckons they haven't a working design yet. No mention of the cost over runs, the fact we were told by EDF it would be online in 2017 (Now estimated at 2025). Sparky also says that the agreement to build ends in 2035 and has no clause in it guaranteeing it will ever work.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Lots of Glastonbury re-runs on the iPlayer, I do miss live music. Hopefully not too long before I can go and listen to a good, guitar based, rock band in a pub again...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 20:25 Lots of Glastonbury re-runs on the iPlayer, I do miss live music. Hopefully not too long before I can go and listen to a good, guitar based, rock band in a pub again...
👍
Gloria
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've got tickets to see The Blues Band at the Muni in Colne in December, hoping that it will go ahead and that Col will be well enough to go!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We went to see https://www.soulstreetproductions.com/t ... ry-of-rock at the Muni in March 2020, I believe it was the last performance there before the lockdown. They're billed as the first act on when the theatre reopens on Sept 5th 2021. I'm tempted to book but need to be sure we won't need to be masked, I'll give it a bit longer before making a decision.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

TV is great for anyone who likes tennis...... :sad: The annual Wimbledon tyranny is with us again....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Watched Draper get beat by Djovitch, but he played really well to win the first set, and is surely a star in the making.
Then watched France v Switzerland, what an exciting game that was.
Good sport on tv yesterday, here’s hoping it’s the same today.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 04:17 TV is great for anyone who likes tennis...... :sad: The annual Wimbledon tyranny is with us again....
Don't talk daft, it's a fortnight, hardly tyranny. Tennis in the vast scale of things doesn't hold a candle to the coverage given to football. TV schedules are at the total mercy of that particular game. Wimbledon tends to be all in the same place on BBC1 or 2 and they don't play at stupid times under floodlights.
Ian

Return to “TV”