GOOD TV

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 03:23 Watching Ronnie again. He's in the final today....... Guess what I will be watching!
There's an opportunity for more snooker on Quest (Freesat 167). Scottish open?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev...... (I understand that perfectly!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We watched all of Mrs Wilson in one go on Sunday night, good story and true with the main character played by her own granddaughter. No real problem in following the plot lines. What caught my attention straight away though was in one of the opening scenes set in 1942. Mr Wilson is listening to one of Mr Churchills speeches on the radio in the flat they occupied. Nothing wrong with that for a bit of authentic era setting, problem was the wireless set was a Bush DC90a not produced until 1950. The same bakelite cabinet was first used in it's predecessor the DAC90 but again not produced until 1946. So either way a bit of a blob by the props department. Didn't detract too much, just an observation from a radio nerd. :extrawink:

I have the same model sat on a shelf in my back room, I refurbished it and put it back into working order about 30 years ago. Nice examples (like mine) can fetch over £100 on Ebay.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am obviously missing something.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 15:42 We watched all of Mrs Wilson in one go on Sunday night, good story and true with the main character played by her own granddaughter. No real problem in following the plot lines. What caught my attention straight away though was in one of the opening scenes set in 1942. Mr Wilson is listening to one of Mr Churchills speeches on the radio in the flat they occupied. Nothing wrong with that for a bit of authentic era setting, problem was the wireless set was a Bush DC90a not produced until 1950. The same bakelite cabinet was first used in it's predecessor the DAC90 but again not produced until 1946. So either way a bit of a blob by the props department. Didn't detract too much, just an observation from a radio nerd. :extrawink:

I have the same model sat on a shelf in my back room, I refurbished it and put it back into working order about 30 years ago. Nice examples (like mine) can fetch over £100 on Ebay.
The intention is to 'binge watch' it but haven't found the opportunity yet, I'm sure there'll be time over the next couple of weeks :-)

I fancied the idea of converting an old non-working radio with modern internals, not got round to that yet either :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mine is all original but I replaced a few bits in the PSU stage with modern components. It has a nice smell when you fire it up and a warming glow. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ahhh, memories of the Ekco 8 valve superhet in the tall cabinet with the large hexagonal tuning dial and the long thin needle..... Anyone remember 'Much Binding in the Marsh? "These sets take a long time to warm up......"
I'm showing my age again.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Full 3 hour binge of Mrs Wilson today, fascinating story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We did the same with Mrs Wilson Kev a few days ago. Two episodes of The Long Song yesterday and the third one tonight, enjoyed that one as well. Looking forward to Les Miserable's, but might be expecting them to sing. :extrawink: Good storyline though.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 22:48 We did the same with Mrs Wilson Kev a few days ago. Two episodes of The Long Song yesterday and the third one tonight, enjoyed that one as well. Looking forward to Les Miserable's, but might be expecting them to sing. :extrawink: Good storyline though.
Les Miserables looks as though it could be good, just started watching Stranger Things on Netflix and it's off to a good start.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Forgive me for posting on radio in a TV topic! Having got the Samsung tablet to replace our expired recording Pure Digital radio I registered with the BBC's iPlayer app so I could bookmark and download radio episodes. Having got used to this I was content with downloading episodes after they'd been on the radio and bookmarking (i.e mark up in MyRadio) future episodes. No sooner have I got settled than BBC launches the `BBC Sounds' app which is going to replace iPlayer. I downloaded this app so I could get used to it before iPlayer disappears. Unfortunately I found it inferior to iPlayer; in fact some aspects were very badly designed - which is shocking when you read the complaints reported in the newspapers about BBC spending millions of pounds on it. An example is that it can't let me bookmark future episodes, only past ones or repeats. (I don't want to use `subscribe' because it then bookmarks all past episodes too and I often don't want all future ones).

I wonder whether any of you are using BBC Sounds and have found any way to bookmark in advance? I uninstalled the app and downloaded the latest one two days ago and they had improved a couple of things but not the ones that bother me. Another thing I don't like compared with iPlayer is that Sounds tends to start an episode running immediately when you click on its icon. I've noticed that the Sounds app has mostly terrible reviews from users and it usually gets only one star out of five, or perhaps sometimes two stars. At the moment I've gone back to iPlayer in case Sounds gets junked - although I suppose it will have to survive now that BBC has spent a fortune on it and there must be reputations depending on it! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I'm getting good at this with period dramas. Noticing the goofs that is. BBC 1 latest 3 part drama, Agatha Christies ABC Murders. In episode 1 set in 1933 there is a scene in a nightclub that one of the victims is visiting. Background music which many are dancing to was Woody Herman's At the Woodchopper's Ball. A swing favourite and actually what I use as a ringtone on my mobile. Problem here is that again it is an attention to detail fail, the instrumental was not written, performed and recorded until 1939, it was Woody's best known hit.

Apart from that the first episode shows promise. A retired Hercule Poirot and a suitably menacing serial killer. It's on three nights on the trot.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The whistle on the steam train was a multi tone American one instead of the single note UK one..... Bad set dressing at the ABC lodgings.... Computerised view of railway line is a rip off of one of Bert Hardy's picsof Dean Clough at Halifax.

I watched it as well, could be OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm recording it and will binge on it later. Watched a BBC drama recorded back in February, Collateral. The 4 one hour episode were good watching.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Collateral, thanks for that Kev, I shall keep it in mind.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think I missed that one as well. Just had a furtle and I don't recognise the plot, will have to check my recordings or have a look at on demand. Might have missed the boat though.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's still on the iPlayer Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks Kev.

When we borrowed Carly's house on Christmas day night. I took advantage of her full Sky package and watched the latest Marvel Avengers film. "Avengers Infinity Wars". All I can say is, OMG! Won't give anything away but, OMG! There is another in the series (Avengers Endgame) planned for next year.

Conversely, I watched the very first in the franchise, "Captain America the First Avenger" last night which I had recorded the other day. (Agent Carter :extrawink: and Tony Starks dad in that one). I think I will try and watch the entire series in order, that should keep me busy for a while. :smile:

Each film in the franchise eludes to a storyline in the Marvel comics apart from the latest (Infinity Wars), they had to go off on one for that. :extrawink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I don't do TV but Mrs P is recommending 'The Last Kingdom' (Netflix) Three series with 8 to 9 episodes in each one. Brutal and bloodthirsty History type series.. Vikings V Saxons.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

ABC episode two, the production is using the North Yorkshire Heritage line with a bit of the West Coast line thrown in for most of the railway scenes. Interesting that the train was shown going from the south of England to Doncaster via Ribblehead viaduct, North to South? Doncaster station as featured was actually Pickering in North Yorkshire. In episode one the train was shown on the North Yorkshire line around Grosmont.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fell asleep during last 20 minutes of ABC so on demand tonight.
I think I've seen Last Kingdom P and if it's the same one it held my attention....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The last murder was at Embsay station, which was actually Pickering again but looking the other way, more shots of steam trains on the NY line. Couldn't place the chase scene though a big multi line depot with heavy CGI I reckon.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought I'd identified the footbridge at Embsay but perhaps they were all so similar!
I love scenes in movies when I can say "I've been there.....". The opening scene of "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly starts on the platform at the station at Tucumcari in New Mexico with Lee van Cleef riding his horse off the train. Problem about that one is they got the name wrong, at the time period of the film it was called 'Two Gun Crossing'!
'Bullit' starts in the car park of Top of the Mark, No. 1 Knob Hill in SF. I have stayed in that hotel. Love it........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I love that sign. especially for us late diagnosed (very) mild Aspergers who might read it as

Passengers must cross the line - whether they want to or not. Don't let the Rainman near it. :smile:

Now - don't be offended by this - I mean well . . . .
Stanley wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 04:39 Problem about that one is they got the name wrong, at the time period of the film it was called 'Two Gun Crossing'!
'Bullit' starts in the car park of Top of the Mark, No. 1 Knob Hill in SF. I have stayed in that hotel. Love it...
One of the joys of this unique site, is your ability to top (by some margin) anything someone else has experienced. I love it. If you've got a black cat - he's got a blacker one. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right David and yes I do enjoy it. I stayed in Tucumcari when I drove Route 66 and I remember my mate Paulette in St Louis was so impressed! That's where I was told about the name change by the city fathers, they boprrowed the name of a legendary Native American chief in the area....

Small Town America on Route 66. This is the real America and there's a lot of it!

Watched Les Mis last night.... Excellent start! Will be a follower.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “TV”