GOOD TV

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: GOOD TV

Post by Tripps »

I think The Detectorists is running out of steam. perhaps best this is the final series.

Enjoyed Ray Mears last night (never thought I'd ever write that), on the US prairies. Lots I didn't know about the job. Buffalos in millions in the 19th century!

Kate Humble's series on women is interesting. Last week was a group in Northern India where the women are in charge, their surname is passed down, and the head of the family is the youngest daughter. Fascinating - she inherits the most, and is expected to care for the parents in their old age.

There are some benefits to constant channel hopping. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Blitz- The bombs that changed Britain.

I reported on the first episode in another thread and have recorded this evenings. Each episode tells of the knock on effects of a single bomb from the thousands that fell during the London blitz. The first episode was an unexploded bomb that fell on the very first night of the blitz and ultimately and surprisingly after great loss of life led to the genus of the National Health Service and the Welfare State.

Informative and surprising turns of history.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 21:57 I think The Detectorists is running out of steam. perhaps best this is the final series.
Agreed Tripps, there are still some wonderful moments though. I loved the club meeting scene in the latest episode with the talk on the cycling proficiency badge hoard followed by everyone agreeing that Lance wasn't facing up to the problems in his private life. You feel you know all the minor characters just as well as the main ones.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Desert Island Disks on R4 is good this morning. The respondent is Naomi Klein. I have listened once and will do so again!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We enjoyed Part 1 of the Helen Czerski TV programme on sound waves last night. Great demonstrations! LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I missed that. It's flagged as currently unavailable at the moment but iPlayer is having one of it's buggered up phases at the moment. It will appear eventually.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When the two episodes come around again you must watch them. She covers a wide range of aspects of sound and there are lots of insights into the physics of sound with very clear demonstrations. At one point she has a plate with sand on it vibrated, starting at low Hz and gradually increasing. The sand keeps taking up fascinating patterns all the way through the range. The first episode ends with the lowest frequency sound known to us yet - emitted by a black hole.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just bumped into a programme about a chap called Hamish Henderson on the Gaelic channel of the BBC. An hour and a half, and part English, part Gaelic, but fascinating. I stuck with it until the end. I thought I knew nothing about him until they played 'Farewell to Sicily' by the pipe band of the 51st Highland Division, for which he wrote the words I have it on a CD sung by Ewan Maccoll. If the hair on the back of your neck doesn't stand up when you hear that - you have no soul. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some music can do that can't it.....
I watched both episodes of the Miniaturist and sat through it until the end. Good production values but I haven't the faintest idea what it was all about..... Perhaps I should stick to demolition videos on Youtube.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I had to bear "Little Women" first and promise to record all the rest of the episodes but at least that tale has a story. I have been forced to see it in so many guises over the years that I even know which one of them is going to die! :sad:

I'm with you on the Miniaturist though, no wiser at the end than I was at the beginning. :confused:

I stayed up a bit late last night watching "Big Engineering", I think on CH 5? Worth seeking out if you like that stuff. First one was the story of building the original Severn Bridge on which most other suspension designs around the world are now based. Couldn't let go so I watched the following one on refurbishing and safety checking one of the North Sea ferries in dry dock, fascinating stuff all done in 30 days.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I started to watch The Miniaturist but found it a bit too "precious" and gave up. Ok, it looked like an oil painting but life wouldn't have been like that would it? I wasn't even tempted by Little Women I'm afraid. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When all else fails there is good stuff on Youtube Wendy! I'm glad I have company re. the Miniaturists....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that Morecambe and Wise were once more a mainstay of the evening's entertainment on BBC TV. It's pathetic. I was driven into Youtube, University Challenge and Endeavour on ITV3, all right another repeat but a good one!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

"Eric, Ernie and Me" about their later scriptwriter Eddie Braben was very good. Generally TV has been poor over Christmas. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I enjoyed the programme about their early home movies. Eric's wife and children were seeing some of them for the first time and it seemed odd at first that they were so moved to hear his voice on one of them when they can see and hear him constantly on tv. There was a big difference to them between their Eric and the performer on screen, even though he was always acting the funny man.
I had our family movies put onto a DVD a few years ago and I love watching it, seeing the moving images of my parents in their 30's is so much more evocative than still photos.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Generally TV has been poor over Christmas. "

Agreed - and partly due to too much Morecambe and Wise. I speak of course, as a 'dinosaur' who still watches a lot of TV, and wont pay for any of it. :smile:

PS I can't quote part of a previous post - highlighting a sentence, then clicking the quote marks results in the whole post being copied to a new entry. Didn't used to be like that - anyone know why?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 11:54 PS I can't quote part of a previous post But if I wanted to I could edit it. I suppose that's as good as quoting only a bit of it???
What I have done is make it look like a fake quote post. Can't trust anything these days.
Last edited by plaques on 30 Dec 2017, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 11:54 PS I can't quote part of a previous post - highlighting a sentence, then clicking the quote marks results in the whole post being copied to a new entry. Didn't used to be like that - anyone know why?
Like this: :extrawink:

You have to open the new post editor first then highlight the bit you want in the original post then select the quote mark. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 13:07 You have to open the new post editor first
Thanks - I thought that was what I was doing. Seems not. Failing fast. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I speak of course, as a 'dinosaur' who still watches a lot of TV, and wont pay for any of it. :smile:"
Nowt wrong with that David.....
Quotes, I just select copy and paste...... (I don't even know what a 'post editor' is!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 03:56 Quotes, I just select copy and paste......
:notthatway: Use the built in functionality.
Stanley wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 03:56 (I don't even know what a 'post editor' is!)
:dontgetit: You have used it nearly 40,000 times, penny should have dropped by now. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah! You mean the editor for the post.......
Makes you wonder how I manage.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, if you want to quote the whole post you know how to do it. If you want to quote part of the post don't click the quotes icon in that post - instead scroll to the bottom of the page and click the `Post Reply' icon. Then go into the posts below the editor window, find the one you want, highlight the desired text, and click the quotes icon in the top right of that post. The text should then appear between code in the editor window. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched Spectre last night on ITV. Broke a rule and stayed up until 22:45......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “TV”