2012 London Olympics

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: 2012 London Olympics

Post by Marilyn »

Don't know about outside London, but tax layers money should be spent processing arrivals at airports in a timely manner.
We were there last October, and getting through Heathrow was a nightmare. An hour and a half in stifling conditions, through bottle necked lines. After an international flight, it is enough to make one faint. Three airbuses landed at the same time. Wall to wall people...some with infants and sick elderly in tow. All I could think of was ' hope they have this sorted by the time of the Olympics'. Someone took our luggage off the long carousel whilst sorting for their own...about a half a mile away from where we were watching for it. Total chaos.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Disagree Maz. Why should I pay for the convenience of international travellers - increase the tax on flights and airport charges but don't dump on me. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Fair enough comment I suppose, Nolic.
But your country is on display, and the incomers do spend money which has a flow on effect...accommodation, food, sightseeing, services.
First impressions are important. We were not first timers, nor were we security risks, but we still felt that Heathrow had no way of coping with the large influx of passengers coming for the Olympics.
You have to invest in people, to make money.
No good sitting back, rubbing your hands as a nation at the money generated by The Olympics, knowing you have not done your best as hosts.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

The Olympics should be way down on our national priorities given the poverty, elderly and young at risk of neglect and abuse and increasing unemployment. We up North will see very little of the money generated in London and I think it is a big waste of time and resources. Nolic
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sorry to hear you have lost your National Pride, Nolic.
I hope you are among the minority. The Olympics crosses all kinds of barriers...colour...race...creed..poverty..
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Maz, I have not lost my national pride and I don't look at the modern Olympics through rose tinted spectacles. Nolic
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

It was London that bid for the Olympics , and London residents and businesses are paying anl increase on rates/council tax to contribute to the public cost element of it.

Heathrow is building a temporary terminal on the site of one of the car parks for handling olympic contestents and officials. Many nearby will be training earlier in facilities around the UK beforehand including I think Manchester (Some are training in France - they got in quicker than GB for promoting such facilities ). Euro contestents could also use Standstead and EuroTunnel so there are more ways into London without getting Stuck at Heathrow (unless you are a rower going to Dorney Lakes ).

I dont suppose the rest of the incoming visitors will be significant in numbers,compared to London as a whole, the venues probably hold in total daily no more than the football stadia in London on a derby day and the number of visitors coming into London may be down in respect for those that wish to avoid London , time for the Northern Tourist Boards and hotel chains to promote Liverpool / Manchester / Leeds-Bradford as alternate destinations with a variety of alternate places for the typical European/Japanese / North American Tourist to come to , Liverpool City of Culture, Leeds Industry, the Yorkshire Dales , Lakes , Pennines and Villages.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Exactly Whyperion, many of the spectators who come from afar WILL venture further afield than just London and make a holiday of it. Those short on time will probably settle for the major tourist attractions ( bus tours to Stonehendge and Bath etc) but there will be plenty who are more intrepid. Tourists spend money, and a great deal of England's economy rests on tourism. Many take advantage of cheap flights at that time ( all those big planes coming back empty). Unfortunately, I won't be one of them, though I have taken advantage of cheap flights before when other events have been on. It is a win/win situation.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Maz, lets look at what the rest of the country- other than the South East - gets from the Olympics by this time next year. Nolic
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Was there any visible benefit from the Manchester Games?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The games have been of benefit for some already. My son has been chosen, as an "official", at the Olympics and Paralympics. The publicity, just in the local press, has generated interest in Leeds Met Uni and the Leeds Carnegie Basketball Team. Insignificant to some but "from small acorns"...

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/local ... _1_4163226
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes, I did read that Big Kev.
Excellent news. Does this mean you will be attending any of the events?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

marilyn wrote:Yes, I did read that Big Kev.
Excellent news. Does this mean you will be attending any of the events?
If we do manage to get tickets it'll be for one of the basketball events. The chances are fairly slim though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

What are the estimates of additional VAT collected because of the games? What facilities will remain to provide training locales and added revenue? Unfortunately London is probably almost "sold out" at the time of the games and does not need the games, another location might have been a better choice, but not just anywhere can afford the cost of the bid process and the games become a status thing.
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Congratulations to your son Big Kev, a once in a life time experience for him. I am not a sports follower so the Olympics don't hold much fascination for me, and I am glad they are not on my doorstep as influx of thsands does not excite me, that said I am prooud of my country and glad to have this oportunity to be the host, though I can't understand why the ticket system is such a lottery!
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

Belle pure demand creates the lottery, most if not all participating countries make demands for tickets, sponsors get their hands in too, so the rest is a fight among the interested public. News reports close to the events will highlight the price on the street which will be ridiculous.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

belle wrote:Congratulations to your son Big Kev, a once in a life time experience for him. I am not a sports follower so the Olympics don't hold much fascination for me, and I am glad they are not on my doorstep as influx of thsands does not excite me, that said I am prooud of my country and glad to have this oportunity to be the host, though I can't understand why the ticket system is such a lottery!

Thanks Belle. He is quite excited about it. We're very proud of him as it was a fairly intense selection process.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did anyone watch the Dispatches programme on C4 last night? If they are correct, a disturbing picture of how allocation of tickets and privileges has been skewed by bad distribution policies which favour the rich and well-connected. No surprise there I suppose but the one that struck me in particular was that even after us throwing and extra £41million at the opening and closing ceremonies it's estimated that only about half the seats will be available to the general public. I felt particularly for the old bloke who has attended every Games since 1964 and can't get a ticket for anything in these. Also the young swimmers who can't get tickets. Surely the aspirants in any sport should be given some sort of priority? After all one of the legacies of the Games is supposed to be greater participation in sport. Then there is the question of making Jetset Promotions a 'hospitality provider' when their role in the bribery connected with the 2002 winter Olympics at Salt Lake is proven.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Dont care really , true sports fans turn up at the events attended by one man and his dog , the Olympics hype and bandwagon can roll its own way , there are plenty of alternate events around the UK to choose to go to instead. The opening ceremoney is apparently now to advertise the UK to the world showing how we are the best thing since sliced bread so 14m divided by world wide audience of 2bn is apparently good value.
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

Greece has not done very well from it's Olympic heritage.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to be negative but the subject of the Olympics reduces me to a frenzy of indifference. The Olympic movement is about as credible as FIFA, an overblown administration full of its own importance and riddled with political intrigue and financial shenanigans. If the money spent on the project had been directed to redevelopment of the site and financing sport all over the country it would make more sense. Private Eye reports frequently on the closure of training programmes and playing fields so how much do we actually value grass roots sport in the regions?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid it has started to take over.... I note the number of tickets being offered as prizes by advertisers, so that's where all the missing tickets went! Despite the efforts of the Olympic authorities to protect the logo and concept of the Olympics the ad men are working flat out to allude to the games in their advertising. Roll on the end of the games......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well, we know now what form the opening extravaganza is going to take... I'm sure you've seen the details so I won't bore you. I have to say I did a double take and at first thought it was a joke. It's going to cost £27million. A bargain or what?
Later today the Olympic committee will be announcing that they are £500,000 inside the budget. (LINK) So, only £8.8billion... Astounding...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Welcome to the Egolympics! They could drop all the running & jumping and simply compete for the biggest opening and closing ceremonies.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why does the phrase 'bread and circuses' spring to mind.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Olympics”