2012 London Olympics

Nolic

Re: 2012 London Olympics

Post by Nolic »

Two reasons I can think of. 1. Like baseball it has never been "imported" and franchised in this country the way the Americans gave done in Europe and Asia and 2. We don't seem to have that many home-grown (sic) players across the major basketball league therefore the following is a bit down.
Schools seem to take it seriously and Dan played competitively all the way through high school but then football and now handball have taken over. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I would say that the all invasive football probably has a lot to account for. It's force fed to everyone whether you like it or not. In many cases you can't get away from it. I think what happens is that any sport that we seem to excel at has a chance of taking off such as the way that the nation has taken to cycling over the last 4 years. Sales of all kinds of bikes, (not just the road racers) have gone through the roof which is no bad thing. Any sport need it's heroes to kick start it into gear and engage the young. (Ride with Brad in Barlick later this month of course). It will be interesting to see what the long term legacy of the Olympics will be, but I suppose that will all depend again on what facilities are available for training.

There was a debate on Radio 2 the other day about the total lack of diving facilities in the vast majority of swimming pools which are mainly constructed now as leisure pools only. Most boards from existing pools with a proper deep end have been removed over the last 30 years on H&S grounds! Less than 100 boards still available (mainly low springboards) in the entire country, and of course the pool rules, no running, no jumping, no bombing or petting :wink: and no diving! not even from the poolside. Tom Daly is a hero who can't really be followed with facilities as they are at the moment.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thanks for your input, gents. It's a shame it's not "out there" as much as football. Barnoldswick has 3 outdoor basketball courts, it would be nice to see more kids playing.

My son occasionally coaches for a Barnoldswick based team, the enthusiasm is really high amongst the, too few, team members.

Team GB women, ranked 48th in the world, gave the world number 6, Brazil, a run for their money this evening. If only we could encourage a few more people to take it up, as a serious sport, and stay in the UK. This time next year...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Last chance for GB mens basketball to win a game against China, ranked 10th in the world. Top 4 GB scorers were absent from the starting 5 and we're all over China. We're playing as a team; why wasn't this tactic used earlier?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Well done GB mens basketball. A good win over China. The first GB Olympic basketball win since 1948. Hopefully this will inspire.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just dipped in and out a few times to the closing ceremony. Are they really making the Queen and Phil endure it all? Hope they've left a good supply of gin and dubonnet in the box. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid I ignored it and watched a video. Saw a snatch when I changed channels to record a film. It did not excite me. Now for the aftermath.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My son has returned from his 2 weeks at the Olympics. A "once in a lifetime opportunity" for him to rub shoulders with the best the world has to offer in sport. As an "official" he has had a terrific insight of a major event and has enjoyed every single minute. He'll probably have just dumped his bag of dirty washing in the middle of the floor and gone off to play basketball now... :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We really enjoyed the closing ceremony, I had a right good sing along.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Big Kev wrote:http://leedscarnegiebasketball.co.uk/bl ... frightful-

A serious question; why isn't basketball as popular in the UK as it is elsewhere in the world? Honest answers and opinions, please.
Is it because as a nation we are short arsed compared to other nations, mind you we are pretty good at cotact sport like rugby, which is'nt popular amongst the wimp( contactless) sport nations.
PS. 67 inches & 15 stone, but played at 13-1/2 - 14 stone
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bodger wrote:

A serious question; why isn't basketball as popular in the UK as it is elsewhere in the world? Honest answers and opinions, please.
Is it because as a nation we are short arsed compared to other nations,
We do appear, as a nation, to be getting taller though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

For some reason Rugby and Soccer are taught at schools, other team games less so. Having seen football club car parks unused during much of the week , would it not be possible for the likes of Leeds etc to mark them out for basketball, hockey , handball for use evenings and daytime [Supervised ? ]practice ? That would be a sporting legacy.
Last edited by Whyperion on 15 Aug 2012, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It would indeed but there would probably be an H&S reason for not doing so, or more to the point a potential of unwanted litigation against the owners in case of injury.
Ian
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Big Kev wrote:
Bodger wrote:

I'm not, am going tother way
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Big Kev wrote:
Bodger wrote:

I think it's just your family that bump up that particulr statistic!!
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Government is changing the legislation on school playing fields lowering the area required per pupil. That'll help the legacy......?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Olympics”