STEAM ENGINES AND WATERWHEELS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: STEAM ENGINES AND WATERWHEELS

Post by Stanley »

A change of oilcan now for one with thinner oil in for the bearings and joints on the eccentric rods, rockers, valve gear and governor. Last of all the four small drip feed lubricators on the floor at each side of the low pressure slide are topped up and set on, these feed the bearings on the air pump linkage in the cellar. Finished with oiling for the time being.

A question many people ask is how much oil we use in a week, an engine tenter always seems to be walking round with an oilcan in his hand. This is true but the secret is little and often, we use about two gallons of cylinder oil and three of bearing oil a week. Big plain bearings and frequent attention are the two rules for long life in a machine. This was well understood by engine makers but is no good nowadays, machines have to be built to wear out to keep the builders in profit. The waste oil that drips out of the small bearings is caught by cotton waste in drip trays and on the waste that you use when you are wiping the engine down. This is all burnt in the boiler and so reduces the risk of pollution. Perhaps it would be more true to say that in this way we spread any resultant pollution over a wider area. This principle is well understood by the Central Electricity Generating Board and is the reason why power stations have such high chimneys and those on the East coast drop their pollution in the North Sea or on Norway!

I have an oil can story for you… At regular intervals through the day I used to oil the pivot joints on the valve gear which was of course in motion while the engine was running. You soon developed the knack of doing this in time with the engine so you could hit the oil holes with the spout each time. I was doing this one day when I noted an intermittent squeak in the engine. This was just the sort of thing that your ears and instincts were attuned to because it is a harbinger of trouble. I immediately went on to red alert and listened all round the engine to try to identify which bearing was the culprit. I couldn’t find it. It was only when I oiled the linkage the next time that I realised that it was the oil can that was squeaking! It had a plastic mechanism and for some strange reason the oil didn’t stop the squeak. I ditched the oilcan and had no more problems.

Another point that is commonly made by visitors is that the old engine builders had no idea of economy of materials and a machine could be built today to turn out as much power as us using a tenth of the material. Two things about this, the reason these engines go on so long is because they were ‘overbuilt’ and in order to cut the weight down it would be necessary to use advanced alloys, plastics and more complicated technology. The engine would cost more to buy and run, repairs would be outside the scope of the local engineers using well tried methods and what is more important, when the time did come for the machine to be scrapped, the resultant material would be just about useless. There is no part of an old engine that cannot be recycled, indeed cast iron of this quality is the highest priced scrap of the lot. That is true economy of material. A burnt out jet engine is just so much rubbish, an old steam engine is a saleable article.

The essential job of lubrication and inspection is now complete. Only two things remain to be checked now and then we're ready for a start. The most important consideration in the engine house, overriding everything else, is the need for safety. Unless you’ve seen the destruction that a runaway engine can cause it is difficult to appreciate the danger. The nearest parallel is a direct hit by a large bomb. We shall delve into this subject in more depth later on when we look at breakdowns but I mention it now to show how important the next job is.

The large gentleman with the balls on his head is the Lumb governor and speed regulator. The other gentleman with the hat on is Jim Sutton, Father to Charlie Sutton, my flue chap. Jim had called in to have a look at the engine before it finished.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Before the engine can be started the Lumb governor must be cocked and the safety gear checked. When the engine is stopped at night the gear is tripped out so that no one but the engineer can start the engine. Remember that there is enough steam in the boiler all night to start the engine, true it would not run long but long enough to wreck itself if all was not done correctly. Setting the gear up is only a minute’s job if you know the drill but would be sufficient to foil any attempt at a start by vandals or mischievous youngsters. The Wilby speed regulator in the governor linkage controls the amount of valve opening and sets this automatically so that the governor can work within its most effective range. This has to be wound open to a position that will give enough steam for the heavy load when the engine first gets up speed. When the engine was stopped last night it was on light load and all the shafting and bearings were warmed up. It needs more valve event now for a successful start. The tenter knows from experience where this setting is and winds perhaps three turns on the linkage. If it is dark and the shed light will be on an extra three turns are needed. The next job is to make sure the engine is in a good position for starting. A Corliss valved engine that is quartered by setting the cranks at ninety degrees to each other, LP side leading, can be started from any position using the valve key on the appropriate steam valve but some ways are easier than others. At one time I always used to leave the engine in a starting position when stopping at night so that all that had to be done in the morning to start was to cock the back steam valve on the HP cylinder and open the stop valve. About two years ago we were short of orders and running one week in two. This meant that the engine was stopped for eight and a half days at a time. A crack of steam was left on the warmer to keep engine and house warm and dry. After about six weeks I found I was getting a grunt in the high pressure cylinder when running on load. Newton and I took the cylinder cover off one night and found the grunt was caused by a patch of rust in the bore. This had been caused by steam passing through the gap in the piston rings as it found its way through the engine from the warmer. This washed the oil off and allowed rusting to start. Obviously the fact that the engine was always stopped in the same place made this worse as it had allowed the trouble to build up week after week. The lesson was learned, since then I usually let the engine stop where it will. We had no trouble after that. The engine has a small vertical barring engine which can be used to slowly turn the flywheel for maintenance or adjusting the position for a start. On a very cold morning it isn’t a bad idea to bar the engine over a few turns to break the cold oil seal on the bearings throughout the mill. Some mills are easier to start than others, Bancroft was easy but Victoria Mill in Earby was so hard to turn that they always barred the engine for half an hour before starting time in winter.
All is now ready for a start. Pressure is slowly rising as the firebeater lengthens his fires and builds up to a good head of steam. Now would be a good time to put the kettle on and have a brew. It should be mentioned here that engine house tea is the best in the world, brewed in the pot and left to infuse on a convenient ledge on the high pressure cylinder it tastes lovely, perhaps it's the cylinder oil hanging in the air that does it but there is nothing quite like it anywhere else. Any spare time between now and five to eight is spent wiping the engine down with a piece of cotton waste. This is not just a matter of cleaning, it is an inspection as well. The finest way to examine a piece of machinery is to clean it thoroughly, many a loose nut and small fault has been found with the cleaning rag or more likely at Bancroft, a handful of cotton waste.

Time goes on and 07:55 comes round. We set off now up the low pressure side checking that drain cocks are open, lubricators are running correctly and the big fish tank oilers at each side of the flywheel and second motion pulley are set on. These look just like aquariums and feed oil in large quantities to the bearings. After passing through the bearings it is pumped back up for re-circulation by small pumps, rope driven off the various shafts they lubricate. The pumps can re-circulate oil faster than the bearing uses it so they will soon catch up on the oil running into the bearing and back to the lower reservoir before we start running. A quick check on the alternator bearings is done to make sure they contain plenty of oil, these are ring-oiled bearings and are always OK but there is no harm in looking. It’s still dark so we must make sure that the big breaker switch for the shed lights is in so that as the engine starts the main lighting will come on. Up to engine starting the shed is partially lit by a few pilot lights running off the mains supply, just enough light to let the weavers get ready safely. Next we go down the high pressure side checking cocks and lubricators again. The warmer valve on the back of the high pressure cylinder is closed now, it has been open a crack all night leaking a bit of steam into the cylinders to keep them warm. This is essential as cold cylinders mean excess condensation on starting. Water is incompressible and can wreck an engine if it there is too much in the cylinder for the drains to cope with.

It’s about two minutes to eight now. A quick squirt of cylinder oil on each piston rod and a drop of oil is pumped into each steam valve on the high pressure side with the Lunkenheimer. Fit the valve key to the back steam valve spindle and take a last look at the cylinder drain cocks to make sure they are open, they are all marked with a saw cut on the head of the spindle so you can see at a glance if they are open or closed. The back steam valve on the HP cylinder is opened with the key and the throttle valve in the main steam pipe cracked half a turn. Steam rushes into the cylinder and builds up the massive push needed to stir the great weight of the shafting and flywheel. Slowly at first, but rapidly accelerating, the crank swings over the top and as it does you let the back valve shut. The valve motion opens the front valve to bring the crank back and from now on valve control is automatic and the engine slowly picks up speed.
A big engine starting up is a very impressive sight, it is also very dangerous. The forces involved are so great that any error on the part of the engineer or fault in the engine can lead to a wreck. Most troubles are caused by too much steam too quickly, especially on cold Monday mornings when shaft bearings are cold and stiff, there is enough power in the first stroke to shear the crank pin off. At times like these it is not wise to speak to the engineer or make any sound at all as his attention is completely taken up with his machine. As the speed rises the governor’s balls fly out and the bars rise until they are parallel with the floor, controlling the valves and holding the steam steady. The cylinder drain cocks are closed now and the vacuum builds up. A quick walk up to the distributor board and swing over the three big switches that cut us off from the mains and put the alternator in circuit, the shed lights are already on as we tripped the switch in earlier. Listen for the sound of the feed pump in the cellar, it will stop as you switch over. If the firebeater is on the ball it will start up again almost straight away. If not he's asleep and a quick trip to the boiler house is indicated.

Back round to the throttle again and a bit more steam is put on, the throttle is slowly opened until the engine has full steam. This must be done gradually or the engine will overspeed and become dangerous. When the valve is wide open the speed regulator is tripped in and most important the safety catch is dropped on the governor. This is a device that will trip the governor and close the steam valves thus stopping the engine if for any reason the speed of the engine varies beyond the capability of the regulator. Failure to do this leads sooner or later to disaster. Watch the regulator and the governor for a moment until you are sure that it has settled into the load and you are running safely. The engine is now running at the correct speed, 68 rpm so we now go round all the lubricators again and check that all oils are running, rope drives to oil return pumps are working and all looks well. The piston rod gland drain cocks are shut and a final check is made to see that the cylinder lubricator is feeding oil into the main steam pipe where it is atomised by the rush of steam and carried round to all parts of the cylinders and valves. One last check to make sure that the safety catch is down on the governor, better safe than sorry.

No rest for the wicked, we haven’t earned a brew yet! The engine has been checked and so even if a lubricator became blocked all will be safe for ten minutes. The tenter goes into the weaving shed to walk up the line shaft and listen for any untoward noises. The weavers will generally tell you if there were any squeals when the engine started as this is when dry bearings first show themselves. There are over 600 bearings in the shed alone, so it is not unusual to get an odd squealer or two during the week. Back to the engine now, never more than ten minutes away, and another walk round the engine checking that all is well. It's twenty past eight now, time we drank the tea that has been going cold since ten to eight and have a pipeful of tobacco.

The Wilby regulator on the Lumb governor at Bancroft. A very clever piece of kit which is on duty all the time the engine is running and makes small adjustments to the steam admission to suit the load. Fascinating to watch it working and it took me a while to fathom out exactly what it was doing and what triggered it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

To the uninitiated the engineer seems to spend most of his time sitting in the armchair in the corner of the engine house doing nothing. Sat down perhaps, but don't be fooled into thinking he's doing nothing. If you spend eight hours a day listening to a piece of machinery running you become attuned to it. The least variation in note will alert you straight away to trouble, this is the mark of the good man, he has a sixth sense about the engine. It's almost uncanny the way you can pick trouble out before it starts, many a time you will not be sure what alerted you, it is pure instinct. Besides, there is a clause in the insurance policy for loss of profits should the engine break down that stipulates that it must be constantly attended whilst in motion. My ten minutes away from the engine in the shed is actually a breach of this condition but I knew that I was a near safe as possible before I went because I checked everything.

I have story about engine speed… One of my frequent visitors was a retired local GP, Doctor John Wilfred Pickard. Stories abound about Doc Pickard in Barlick folk lore, like the time he was called out to a baby in the night which kept crying. John Wilfred attended the house, examined the baby and then turned to the woman minding the baby and pushed his hand down he front of her blouse. He felt her breast and said it was no wonder the child was crying, it was hungry and she had no milk. The woman informed him that it would be a miracle if she had as she was the child’s aunt and was only looking after him. (I asked John Wilfred if this was true and all he said was that there was more truth in that story than many of the others.) Whenever John Wifred sat with me and had a cup of tea he used to take my pulse. I put this down as force of habit but he told me one day that he had observed that after he had been sat in the engine house for twenty minutes his heart had slowed slightly to match the engine speed. He said mine was exactly the same. He told me that it was a common thing for heart rate to respond to music and that this was what was happening with the engine. He brought his old stethoscope in one day and we listened to the rings clicking in the cylinder bore as the engine ran. He gave it to me and I still have it. I used it many a time on the engine and very useful it was too.
The morning goes by spent in listening, walking round the engine and shed, checking oil levels, bearings and gearing. A hot bearing or neck in the shafting in the shed can be detected by the white cotton dawn that clings to the cast iron neck, if overheated it turns brown. A short ladder with two hooks at the top is kept in the shed, the hooks are put on the shaft and up you go to clean out the bearing and fill it with fresh grease. Work of this sort demands great care as a moving shaft is very dangerous. It only needs one thread of your clothing to get wound on the shaft and you will be dragged in and almost certainly killed. It is for this reason that I always favoured close fitting clothing and never wore anything round my neck. The engineer will go down into the boiler house and pass the time of day with the firebeater. This isn’t just politeness, he’s checking on how the boiler house is being run. The firebeater knows this and the floor will be swept, dampers adjusted and water levels correct. In the end the engineer is responsible for safety and the correct running of all the plant. The firebeater understands this and inspection is not seen as criticism but as a necessary backup mechanism, two pairs of eyes are better than one. He does the same with me when we have our mid-morning brew together in the engine house. He knew that if he saw something and mentioned it he would not be in any trouble, nether of us saw it as criticism but reinforcement.

There is a certain amount of paperwork to do, coal, oil and stores have to be ordered and accounted for. Many a time there is an odd job to be done round the mill, the engineer is responsible for everything except the actual running of the looms. Some of these jobs get done during the day in ten-minute stints, always check the oils once every ten minutes. So time goes on until a change in the note of the engine tells you that the weavers are slacking off for dinner. This will be at about a quarter past twelve, they only have half an hour for dinner and so some steal a bit of time to get home. Once more you go round with the oil and top up all lubricators. Oil the governor and valve linkage and make ready for the afternoons run. By now it will be twenty five past twelve and you walk round closing the fish tank lubricators and turn the power over to the mains again. All the drain cocks are opened and the speed regulator and safety catch lifted out on the governor. The steam valve is shut down to half a turn and the engine starts to lose speed gradually. This signals to the weavers that it’s almost stopping time and they start to knock their looms off. A skilled man with a bit of luck will bring the engine to a halt in a position ready for starting at dead on half past twelve. If he doesn’t manage this the barring engine is used to advance the engine to the correct position. This small engine gets its name from the fact that in the early engines this operation was accomplished by using a big steel bar to turn the flywheel.
Now is the time to oil those parts of the engine which can’t be done while it is in motion, the governor, air pump linkage and wrist pin lubricators. Once a week the driving ropes are greased at dinnertime with tallow and graphite. This is rubbed into the grooves on the flywheel and second motion pulley and into those parts of the ropes that can be easily reached. If this is done regularly a different part of each rope is done each time and eventually all the ropes get done. This treatment stops the ropes fraying, lubricates them internally and prolongs their life indefinitely. It also gives a far smoother drive onto the lineshaft and this makes weaving conditions better in the shed. 12:55 rolls round in no time and the big lubricators are set on again, valve opening checked on the regulator and the engine set on once more, the same procedure as in morning. A double check round all drains and oilers and a walk round the mill.

A lot of engine cleaning can be done while the engine is running, also the little jobs everyone forgets, topping reserve oil tins up, sweeping and mopping the floor. general tidying up, dusting and polishing brasses. Many hours a week are spent in this fashion, the result is a clean house, no grit flying round to get in bearings and slides and a well inspected machine. The routine in the afternoon is the same as morning, at 16:00 John leaves for home (I always booked his time to 16:30) and at quarter past four we start to get ready to shut down for the night. All oils are topped up and cans filled ready for morning. At twenty five past four you go round the engine again but this time all lubricators are shut and all drains opened. The governor safety catch is lifted and the speed regulator tripped out. After the engine has stopped the governor linkage itself is tripped out and the warmer put on a crack to keep the engine warm for the following morning. A last walk round the shed smelling the air for anything warm and locking all the doors. Finally back into the engine house, bolt the door into the mill, put on your coat and it's good night Mary Jane and James. That is as long as something hasn't gone wrong and demands immediate attention. In later years I had a different method of stopping the engine. I used to shut the stop valve completely instead of easing it shut. Then I would run into the mill to listen to the shafting as it slowed down, the momentum kept it running long enough for me to get there. The reason for this was that if any bearings were running hot they squealed as they came to rest. A chalk mark on the pillar showed you where to go the following morning before starting time.

I have a story about the shafting stopping… One Friday night I ran into the mill as usual and was surprised to see one of our pensioner weavers stood there listening to the shed stopping. She was 78 and was finishing that day because of some new law which had been passed barring people her age from work. I asked her if she was all right and she said yes but did the lineshaft always make that noise as it was stopping? She was referring to the fact that as the shaft finally stopped the bevel gears clanked all the way down the shed. I said yes, but surely she’d heard that noise before? She said no, she was always out of the shed on her way home before it stopped. I marvelled at this, she had been a weaver for 65 years and never hung about at meal times. Those are the good workers.

There you have it, we’ve gone through one day's routine for the firebeater and engineer. Of course this is a much condensed version being only an account of the actions involved not the thousand and one pieces of skill and experience that go to make up the jigsaw puzzle. The man’s reactions to a certain set of circumstances are vital, the right course at the right time can save a disaster. It would be impossible to detail in a short account the experience gained in thousands of hours spent boiler and engine tenting. I suspect it would also be very boring so I’ll just give you one or two examples.

Daniel Meadows' pic of me getting the benefit of Doc Pickard's medical knowledge. He was a regular visitor and an interesting man. Brain like a well-oiled machine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The firebeater has to be a man of almost abnormal perception. He is controlling a process which is going on behind three-quarters of an inch of steel plate and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever seen the inside of a Lancashire boiler at work. However, he has certain clues to help him, most of which are evident in the water in the gauge glasses. Normally it is clear and surges up and down the glass about a quarter of an inch each way due to the motion caused by boiling. If he notices water running down the tubes from the top it is an almost sure sign of danger from priming. This is a condition when owing to incorrect water treatment the boiler water froths up as it boils. This means that there is a good chance that excess water is being carried over into the steam main from the boiler and this can, under certain circumstances, build up into a mass of water or slug in the pipe. If this slug is disturbed by a sudden increase in volume of steam flowing, for example, more load going on to the engine, it can travel up the pipe and into the cylinder. Water cannot be compressed and if the slug is large enough, when the engine comes onto compression at the end of the stroke it will meet a solid resistance and something has to give. In theory this dangerous pressure will be unloaded by a brass relief valve on the cylinder but more than one engine has come to grief because these valves were stuck down on their seats by Brasso running in as they were polished. It can mean a cracked cylinder, valve seat or cover. So there you are, the engineer’s life and the livelihood of the mill depend on this poor ignorant labourer’s ability to correctly interpret the meaning of a few teaspoons of water running down a glass tube.

Quite a common occurrence in an engine house is a sudden reduction in load. Under normal circumstances the engine will cope quite comfortably on it's own, the governor will cut the steam down while the Wilby regulator winds some length out of the linkage and all will be well. The trouble comes when a sudden decrease in load is accompanied by high pressure in the boiler. The valve stroke under these conditions is very short as the engine tries to cut back on steam and the smaller the stroke becomes the greater any fault in valve action is as a proportion of the whole and a condition can be reached where the engine runs very erratically if left on its own. 300 tons of iron moving erratically is not a good thing. The inexperienced man could very easily panic. The good man knows that all he has to do is shut the steam valve down a bit which in effect reduces the steam pressure at the cylinder. The valves open to compensate and the engine runs smoothly again. A good trick then is to drape a cleaning rag or lump of waste on the throttled valve as a reminder it is cracked down, it is easy to forget and when the load comes back to normal the engine is short of steam and labours, the stop valve should be returned to fully open before this happens. A further refinement of action here would be if the engineer and firebeater realised this was going to happen before it did and took appropriate action. It's amazing what can be forestalled by a little walk round the mill every now and again, or recognising that the engine note is changing slightly. Skills such as these are vital to the job and make the difference between a smooth running plant and a disaster area. Impossible to detail and teach, they are the result of years of experience and observation. Any job has its quota of such skills, the difference between having them or not is the difference between the good man and the deadleg. We’ve looked at the day to day running, this leaves maintenance and breakdown. Let’s have a look at periodic maintenance.

There’s an old Scots saying; ‘When a man isn't fishing he should be mending his nets.’ This applies to any piece of plant and ours was no exception. Wear and tear must be kept at bay, the secret is regular inspection and maintenance. The boiler is particularly prone to wear and needs frequent attention. The efficiency and safety of a boiler depends on many factors, all of which are best controlled by good routine and regular maintenance. The most important safeguard is the annual insurance inspection. All boilers and pressure vessels have to be inspected by a competent person once every fourteen months. This is the law and is strictly enforced because without a satisfactory report they will refuse to carry the insurance and running a pressure vessel without insurance is an offence. A competent person under the Act is the insurance company’s Surveyor. These men are all highly qualified, many of them being ex-marine engineers. The old Board of Trade Certificates for Marine Engineers were some of the most coveted pieces of paper in the trade as the examination was very strict. The insurance companies carry the risk on the boiler and so it is obvious that they will make sure that the plant is in good order and is supervised by a competent person. The annual inspection is usually carried out during the summer holiday, the boiler is cleaned inside and out and inspected by the insurance company’s engineer. He alone decides whether it is fit for it's purpose and a good risk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are two main parts to the cleaning, inside the water space and outside. The inside cleaning is removing excessive scale inside the boiler. Just like a domestic kettle the boiler collects scale on it's inner surfaces. This is formed by the solids present in any sample of water which are left behind as the water is evaporated into steam. They form a crust or scale over all the inner surfaces of the boiler which are heated by the flame. This scale is kept to a minimum by treating the water with chemicals but gradually builds up as the year progresses even when using good feed water. The only practical method of removal is to get in the boiler and physically chip it off to a reasonably clean surface, a sixteenth of an inch of scale is regarded as OK and can be a good thing as the scale protects the metal from corrosion. This is done so that the inspector can see all the parts of the boiler clearly and do his job properly. There are other ways of shifting scale but all of them are bad for the boiler. Some ‘experts’ will even advocate treatment with acid, anyone who uses this method needs their bumps feeling because the acid attacks the metal as well as the scale. My flue chap, Charlie Sutton, used to tell a story about the boiler at a mill in Burnley which suffered badly from scale due to bad feedwater. The engineer knew he needed to do something before the annual inspection and was told that five gallons of paraffin put into the boiler with the feedwater would shift the scale. He consulted Charlie who told him that it was true but he didn’t advise it. About a week later the engineer rang Charlie again and said he was in trouble. He’d gone against Charlie’s advice and put the paraffin in and his blow-down was totally blocked, he couldn’t get any muck out of the boiler. Charlie went down and they pumped the boiler out after cooling it down and then tupped the bottom lid in with a sleeper. He said they got twelve barrowloads of scale out, washed the boiler down, laced it up and refilled it and put it back on line. Three weeks later Reg. McNeill the insurance surveyor inspected the boiler and found it as clean as a whistle apart from a strong smell of paraffin. He knew what had been done and told the engineer that if he ever did it again he’d refuse to pass it. The problem was that the paraffin got into the joints in the riveted plates and in the long term could cause leakage and corrosion in the joints. The message was that there is no easy way to get rid of scale.
The outside part of the cleaning is to flue the boiler. This is the process of cleaning out the gas passages, sweeping the walls down and removing all the flue dust. Flue dust is not the same thing as soot. Soot is incompletely burnt carbon and is the result of bad combustion. The dust in a boiler flue is fine ash which has been drawn up the flues by the strong draught necessary to burn large quantities of coal on the grate. It varies in colour from red to deep brown and we get about fifty barrow loads a year out of our boiler flues. Flueing is done at Spring and Christmas as well as Summer so as not to let it build up. Another interesting fact is that the dust that clings to the walls of the flues and the outside of the boiler itself is white. This is a sign of good combustion and is a product of the burning of the sulphur in the coal.
Outside contractors are brought in to do the job, ours was always done by Charlie Sutton’s outfit from Brierfield, ‘Weldone’. It is one of the dirtiest, hottest most unpleasant tasks man has ever invented. The work is done in complete darkness, temperatures of up to 130 degrees and in an atmosphere of blinding choking dust. The only light is from low wattage bulbs because of the risk of electrocution and of course dirty goggles cut even this glimmer down. We reckoned to flue on the day after we stopped running. This means that the night before we have to get rid of a boiler full of hot water and steam at up to 160psi and cool the boiler and settings down to a reasonable level to allow the men to get in. This is done by blowing down immediately we finish work. Let’s go through the process step by step starting, surprisingly enough, about six weeks beforehand when we give the gang a date and time to be here. Everyone wants the fluers at the same time and it is a case of first come first served. Another little known fact is that we would never accept a dog or a cat’s body for cremation less than six weeks before flueing. This needs a bit of explanation.

In those days, if someone had a dead dog or other small animal they would bring it down to the mill and when we were burning the fires off at night we would throw the body in and cremate it. It was a very clean and efficient way to dispose of them. The reason we didn’t do it during the six weeks before flueing is because that is how long the smell hangs about in the flues. I know that’s almost unbelievable but you will just have to take Charlie Sutton’s word for it. He had been flueing boilers all his life and could tell if you’d burnt something in the fires. Another cremation job we had occasionally was burning confidential files for local solicitors. They would stand and watch as we burnt them off.

At dinnertime on the last day before the holidays the firebeater starts his preparations. His aim is to finish at 4.30 pm with as little water and steam in the boiler as possible. He cuts his feed pumps back and lets the water level drop back slowly all afternoon. This saves coal as he is putting in less cold water and it all has to be thrown away anyway. When it comes to what would normally be banking up time, or very often earlier if the weavers have drawn their holiday pay and gone home, he opens the dampers and lets the coal burn away until only a few dull red coals are left, this takes about twenty minutes. The engine carries on running on the reserves of steam already in the boiler. The firebeater shuts the water feed to the boiler completely. When the fires have burnt off they are pushed over the back of the grates with the long rake and the ashpits cleaned out with the long shovel and barrowed away to the ash heap in the yard. At this stage he is left with clean grates, an empty ashpit and enough steam and water in to last till the engine stops. When the engine stops the firebeater goes up onto the boiler top and lifts the weighted arm of the compound valve and blocks it up with a couple of firebricks. There is now a three inch pipe from the steam space in the boiler up through the boiler house roof and open to the atmosphere. Steam roars out and mounts as high as the chimney. The noise is fearful and announces to everyone within a mile radius that work has finished at the mill for the holidays.

For about twenty minutes nothing can be done but wait for the pressure to drop in the boiler. The amount of steam is fantastic and a good idea can be gained at this time of the amount of energy locked up in a boiler under pressure and containing some 3,000 gallons of superheated water. It has been calculated that there is enough energy in a 9 foot diameter Lancashire boiler to lift it and it's contents, a weight of about 100 tons, 7,000 feet into the air.
When the pressure drops to about 40 pounds the roar quietens as the valve automatically closes. The blowdown valve at the front end of the boiler is then opened and the water left in the boiler is forced out by the remaining steam pressure and floods the drains under the yard. This water is at a higher temperature than atmospheric boiling point as it is still under 40 pounds pressure. When it clears the blow down pipe into the drain the pressure is released and the excess of temperature over 212 degrees Fahrenheit is dissipated in turning most of the water into steam. This bursts up through manholes and grids and the yard is filled with steam drifting about obscuring everything. Another twenty minutes elapses until with a few last rumbles all is still. The covers of the man holes into the flues are knocked off now, dampers opened wide and ashpit doors opened, anything that will let air up through the flues to cool them down so that the gang can get in the following morning. The two manholes on the boiler are unbolted and knocked in, one on top and one low down at the front and air begins to circulate through the boiler as well.

By the next morning the boiler is just cool enough to work on and flueing can commence. Now for a confession. The process of preparation I have just described is without doubt one of the worst things you can do to a pressure vessel. Ideally a boiler should be kept running all the time under constant load and temperature. The biggest cause of stress is sudden change of temperature and pressure and we have just dropped our boiler from 160psi and 330 degrees Fahrenheit to zero and about 100 degrees. Having said this, blowing off in this manner has been standard practice with Lancashire boilers for many years. Although theoretically a bad thing it was found in practice that the old riveted boilers could stand this treatment and the gain in time outweighed any disadvantages. It is possible to get the boiler opened up quickly and give as much time as possible for repairs and maintenance. The sooner these were done, the sooner the engineer and firebeater could start their holiday. We were the only ones working like this in the 1970s and while I will admit to the theoretical heresy I still maintain it is the only right and fitting way to start the holiday.

At 8.30 am. the following morning the flueing gang arrives. For years our gang was Weldone from Brierfield, Charlie Sutton and his merry men. The size of the gang depended on the amount of work there was to do, in this case for a full flue and scale there would be five men. Charlie and his mate Jack were the inside men, one man shovelling dust away, one barrowing out and the fifth would make a start on the scaling in the shell itself. Charlie would reckon to be finished in the flues by dinnertime and Jack would go into the boiler and start scaling with the fifth man. The process of flueing is quite simple, it is the conditions it is done under that makes the job exceptional. Basically all the gang are doing is to sweep and shovel all the dust and muck out of the settings. However, in addition to this they are inspecting the boiler and it's settings as they go and a good man gets a second sense about loose rivets and leaky seams. This is not a thing a man can be taught, only experience can give these skills. I've heard Charlie say that Jack could tell a leaking rivet just by touching it. I wouldn't disbelieve him having seen this knack in use once or twice. Charlie himself was an expert on boiler settings and brickwork and even when he retired I still asked his advice from time to time and sent other people to him. By 15:30 we are getting to a straight edge as Charlie calls it. In other words the flues are swept out and every rivet in the shell has had the scale chipped of it and there is nothing to stop the insurance surveyor from doing his job. All is tidied up in the stoke hole and the dampers are closed to keep a little heat in the settings to keep them as dry as possible. We usually flue on the Saturday so the inspector will be booked for Monday morning if possible. Here’s a curiosity for you. Charlie had a chipping hammer that had belonged to his father and he swore it had never needed sharpening. It had a metal handle and was a strange shape. Charlie said that his dad Jim always swore it was made out of a piece of a meteorite. I can’t say whether this was true or not but I’ve looked at it carefully and it was definitely unlike any metal I have ever seen.

Daniel Meadows' pic of Jim and Charlie sweeping the flame bed below the boiler. Note the white deposit on the walls and metal, this is a product of the combustion of sulphur and was never disturbed. It never built up beyond what you see here.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The insurance examination is slow, careful and very thorough. Nothing is left to chance. Every rivet and joint is sounded with a hammer and every fitting carefully inspected. If the maintenance is up to scratch and we are lucky there will be no surprises, if there are then the engineer and his mate must set to and put them right. It’s not unknown for a major fault to be found in which case it may take the biggest part of the holidays to put right. This is one good reason for starting preparations as soon as possible after the mill closes. Assuming we are lucky and no fault has been found the boiler can now be closed up and refilled with water, all the doors to the flues are replaced and luted up with fireclay and cement to stop air leaks, blow down pit plates put down and any parts removed for inspection replaced. All this and the routine jobs such as packing valves and replacing washers will take up most of the week remaining. We like to leave the boiler ready for relighting so that we have as little as possible to do in the second week of the holiday.

A key factor in this process of inspection is the relationship between the mill engineer and the insurance company’s surveyor. If they know and trust each other they can soon get to a point where both are satisfied that the boiler is correct. I used to agree with the surveyor what valves and fittings we would remove from the boiler to be stripped, refurbished and inspected. Sometimes I brought up matters he hadn’t considered. I once found a wasted bolt in the solid steel swan neck blowdown pipe and suggested we take it off and re-fix it after refurbishing the seats. He agreed even though it was not very often done. We found that all the bolts were wasted and the seating needed building up by welding it and grinding it flat. Co-operation like this is good and leads to a safer job. I remember our managing director Mr Birtles coming to me one summer to tell me how smart he had been. He’d been looking at the National Vulcan Insurance Company’s policy and decided he could get cheaper cover off another firm called Ajax. I knew a bit about this company and told Birtles it was the biggest mistake he could make. The way Ajax ran their business was to insist on everything being made good as new every year. Added to this was the fact that Vulcan knew our boiler, they knew me and we always got away lightly on repairs. None of this cut any ice and on the day appointed the Ajax surveyor came to see me before the shut-down not to consult with me about what needed doing but to give me my instructions. He wanted every fitting taken off the boiler and stripped. I said very little but as soon as he had gone I contacted our Mr Birtles and told him we would need a three week shut-down to comply with the Ajax demands. A day later we were insured with Vulcan again and I had a good laugh over it with Alan Roberts the surveyor when he came to inspect the boiler at short notice.
As we have seen the boiler takes a lot of cooling down. The reverse is also true, it takes three days to get a boiler warm enough to fire hard without damaging it. Lighting fires is usually a job for the Thursday before a start on the following Monday. This is another operation that surprises the novice when he first sees it done. They have visions of mountains of firewood and newspaper, all that is needed is a handful of oily waste in each firebox and a shovel full of coal, light the waste, open the dampers and in five minutes the fire will eat coal as fast as you can shovel it on. On the first day we get a good fire going then burn it off, bank it up heavily and leave it all night. By the following morning the boiler is nicely aired all over and a start can be made on getting some steam up. Pressure is slowly stepped up until by Sunday night we have a full boiler and 150psi.

All the time this has been going on the engineer has been catching up on his jobs in the engine house and only one job remains to be done before he can say he is ready for a start on Monday. The engine hasn’t stirred for 16 days and all the bearings are stiff both on the engine itself and in the shed. It would be asking for trouble to leave this state of affairs until a start was made on the first day. The engine is rolled over with the barring engine on the Sunday, the better the day the better the deed. Then, after perhaps five minutes barring and oiling or when the engineer thinks all has freed up enough the engine is started on the throttle and run for about ten minutes to make sure all is well, a quick wipe down with an oily rag and we are all ready for work again.

That’s the biggest job of the year, other jobs crop up more frequently. One regular task is cleaning out the dam. Our water for condensing and boiler feed comes from the dam or lodge at the front of the mill which is fed by a stream which runs down off the moor on the Weets behind. Quite a lot of silt comes down with the water in bad weather and every now and again we open the sluice at weekend and let some of it go down the beck where it would have gone anyway, this gives us the chance to put on waders and go paddling about in the mud cleaning out the intake to the condenser pump and making sure the sluice is clear. The dam keeps very clean and is used as a home by ducks, water hens and trout. We also get occasional visits from a lone heron in search of his breakfast. The intake grills to the tunnel leading to the dam, higher up on Gillians Beck, also have to be cleared especially in Autumn when the leaves are falling.

Another annual job is whitewashing the windows in the shed roof to keep the temperature down in summer. Until you’ve whitewashed 2000 windows you've never lived. However it is a peaceful job and you get a good view of the surrounding fields while you're doing it. It’s done on the second or third Saturday in May and we start at about six o'clock in the morning, a lovely time of the year and no shortage of volunteers to get the job done. Unlike some mills we never needed to clean the whitewash off the glass with coarse wire wool at the end of summer. I mixed the whitewash so thin that by the time summer ended and we got heavy rain it had all washed off. The worst part of the job was the way the sharp edges of the slates caught your ankles as you stood in the gutters.
After reading this you will probably get the idea that we spent the biggest part of our lives crawling under, climbing over and working through the plant and buildings. This isn’t far from the truth, there are over 800 bearings in the mill to keep greased and free, little items like adjustments to the engine, new driving ropes, welding broken parts and making new ones. The list is never ending, any plant needs a lot of attention, this is our job and the reason we are paid. The consequence of bad maintenance is breakdown, good maintenance means a quiet life. Let’s take a look at some of the things that can go wrong.

All inanimate things have one thing in common, the process of decay. Unless an object is living and can regenerate itself it is quietly dropping to pieces. The remedy for this is maintenance. If the rate of maintenance doesn’t exceed the rate of decay there will be a failure or breakdown in the mechanism sooner or later. In the mill the most dramatic example of this is the runaway engine. Ever since the steam engine was invented the control of the tremendous forces involved has been the designers biggest problem. The well maintained engine is a delight to behold, sweet running and perfectly controlled. It’s as well to remember that the power involved is great enough to wreck the engine, the mill and you if it gets out of control and ‘runs at t’boggart’. The most usual cause of this disaster is some sin of omission or commission in the setting, maintenance or operation of the governor mechanism. The consequence of this can be that the engine speeds up to such a pitch that the cast iron flywheel is not strong enough to stand up to the centrifugal force and bursts releasing millions of foot pounds of kinetic energy. Pieces of cast iron weighing tons are thrown hundreds of feet smashing all in their path. The connecting rods flail about smashing themselves and anything they hit. Pistons burst through covers and cylinders are smashed. The aftermath of a serious runaway is a nightmare and rectification involves rebuilding the entire engine. This would be doubly worse in the present state of the industry as it would mean the permanent closure of the mill. Even more responsibility for the engineer.

Dennis Sterriker from Rochdale Electric Welding repairing the swan neck casting for the blow-down.

Ernie and Roy whitewashing the shed roof windows on bright summer morning. A lovely job.

The consequence of a smash after the overspeed of a vertical spinning mill engine. Note the flywheel boss in the background. The spokes and the rim have exploded due to the centrifugal force and wrecked the engine, blowing the outside wall out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thousands of feet of shafting and steam pipe require regular inspection and repair. The engineer may seem to be half asleep when he is walking around the mill, this is because his attention is completely taken up by listening watching, smelling and often feeling the mill as it runs. It's an old joke that a good engineer is always falling over stuff in the shed. This is because he spends most of his time looking up in the air at the shafting instead of watching where he is going. Another category of accidents is a sudden failure of a piece of metal somewhere in the plant. A hidden flaw deep inside a shaft or gear may grow slowly year by year until it finally causes complete fracture and failure. This cannot be foreseen and the unfortunate engineer in charge is to be pitied.

All breakdowns aren’t necessarily major disasters. A minor part may fail or shear and be put right in a matter of minutes but quite often a minor failure goes unnoticed and builds into something bigger. This is the reason for constant attention to detail, regular inspection and cleaning down, the minor faults are put right before they can grow into killers. These are depressing subjects for any engineer. No matter how well he does his job he knows he is going to miss something sooner or later and get himself into trouble. When such a thing does occur the job is to get things running again as soon as possible. The first action is usually to find a way of bypassing a breakdown, a good example would be a stoker failure. All is not lost, open the firebox door and fire by hand, it will not be as efficient as the stoker, this is why they were fitted, but it will keep you going and not cause loss of production. Once this has been done the extent of the damage must be assessed and the right resources brought to bear on it. If it is a big job outside engineers may be called in because specialised tools and skills may be needed. Once the decision has been taken to do the job and the course of action decided on the main essential is speed. All night working may be called for if this is cheaper than stoppage. Engineers have slept on the engine house floor many a time. All in all, interesting subjects to talk about but the further we keep away from them the better.
Mention of help brings us onto the subject of the outside men. Every now and again jobs need to be done which are too big for the engineer or are beyond the scope of his skill and equipment. At this point we usually pick up the phone and ring Henry Brown Sons and Pickles at Wellhouse Shed.

Brown and Pickles is a subject worthy of a book on it's own. This small local firm had at one time over 150 engines on their books and they were responsible for the heavy maintenance of all of them. They had the skill, experience and machinery to tackle every job on an engine. The engine repairing business has shrunk until they now only have five on the books and they make their living doing general machining for anyone who has a job outside their capacity. Their service is just as good now as it was in the great days, a phone call brings Newton Pickles up inside five minutes and all problems are quickly reduced to minor upsets when you have help of this calibre. One of the questions I was always being asked was where did we get spares from. There is no friendly local steam engine dealer and anyway, these engines were all unique, a part off one will not fit another. The answer is that we have to make our own. If it is within the capacity of my own lathe and tools I make it myself, if it is too big for me I send for Newton and he makes it. No job is too big. Between us we could build a new engine if necessary and of course if there was the money available.
Another essential man is the rope splicer, many of the old engineers were experts at this as they were always being called on to do it. I could make an adequate job if forced but we can still call on the services of William Kenyon at Dukinfield in Cheshire who are the last firm left in the country who can do the job. At the drop of a cheque book they will send an expert splicer anywhere in the country and soon have you running again. They replaced the drive ropes for the governor for me and made a wonderfully neat job.

Last but by no means least, the boiler makers. This is a misnomer really as the manufacture of riveted pressure vessels is a lost art. There are still firms who can do a repair or make a small riveted boiler but none could actually make a riveted Lancashire boiler from scratch, all boilers are welded now. Theoretically welded boilers are better than riveted but in practice this isn’t the case. I have yet to see a welded boiler running at its designed pressure after 100 years service, this is by no means uncommon with an old Lancashire boiler. The usual calls for the boiler repairers are for such jobs as replacing a broken rivet or welding in new fusible plug seats. We have done both these jobs in the last two years.

Another problem that crops up is the fact that being one of the last engines left in the business we run out of suppliers for everyday necessities which 40 years ago were in common use. Rope grease is a case in point, I only knew of two firms left who made it and in 1978 could see us having to make our own out of tallow and powdered graphite. Shafting waste and grease were also a problem, these specialised greases used for the 600 shaft bearings in the shed were only made by one firm when we finished. The remedy would be to get the firms to tell you what their recipes were for these things. You will usually find that even though a firm is going out of business they are loath to tell you how they made their speciality, intelligent guesswork has to be applied and some weird and wonderful concoctions are brewed up in the engine house to do certain jobs. There is another side to this coin which is occasionally of use. Firms which discontinued a particular item years ago will be so surprised and pleased to find you still have one in use they will move heaven and earth to help you if something goes wrong. Consulting and advisory engineers will travel the length of the country to bring you advice and help at no charge at all. It’s very heartening to know that there is still a drop of the milk of human kindness left in the system. Of course engineers in general are a patient, humane and even saintly body of men. They work under great difficulties for intractable and inhumane management and so are forced to be paragons of the virtues to survive. I can hear the collective rustle of eyebrows flying up among the workers and upper echelons, nevertheless that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have two stories for you… I was snoozing in my armchair one day in the engine house when someone shook me to wake me up. I opened my eyes and there was our Mr Birtles the managing director. He wasn’t a happy bunny, he had found both me and John asleep in our chairs and told me in no uncertain terms that he didn’t pay us for sleeping. I asked him to have a look at the pressure gauge and tell me what we were running at. He reported 140psi on the button. I said that in that case he shouldn’t worry about the firebeater because as long as he was asleep he wasn’t burning coal. The engine was plonking away smoothly at 69rpm and I knew that the weavers were having a good day because it wasn’t long before I had been for a walk round. As for me being asleep, he knew fine that the least variation in the engine would get me on my feet. I pointed out that what he didn’t know, because we hadn’t made a song and dance about it, was that John and I had been working until 2am that day repairing a burst blow down main. I think he got the message, he went away and left us alone.
On another day I was half asleep in my chair and out of the corner of my eye a movement attracted my attention. From where I was I could see right up the length of the engine house on the low pressure side but couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary. I half closed my eyes and there it was again but I still couldn’t make out what was attracting my attention. Intrigued I got out of my comfortable chair and walked up the side of the engine towards the trapdoor that opened into the cellar, a quick way for the engineer to get down there if he needed to without going into the yard. As I neared the trap I saw what had caught my eye, a hand crept out of the hole, grabbed a spanner laid on the floor and whipped it into the cellar. I went out into the yard and leaned over the wall overlooking the cellar steps. After a few minutes a small boy crept out with an armful of very large spanners followed by another lad with a similar load. You’ve never seen anyone as shocked in your life when I asked them what they thought they were doing. I knew both of them and the one that lived opposite my house blurted out that they were starting a bicycle repair business and needed some tools! I pointed out that this wasn’t the way to get them and anyway, they would never find a nut on a bike big enough for the spanners they were pinching. They put the spanners back and I had a quiet word with their parents but the funny thing is that my forbearance wasn’t appreciated, one mother played war with me for frightening her son. There’s nowt so queer as folk…

Daniel's pic of John and I doing an all nighter to repair a burst blow down main so that we were ready to run the following morning.

Another Daniel pic of Newton and Stanley replacing a cylinder cover packing after the mill stopped for the day. It had blown badly during the day and we put it right with no fuss.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

TEA BREAK: EDUCATION
One of the things that fascinated Fred and I was the fact that so many of the workers in the mills were rock solid Tories. Fred told me about a woman who worked at Albion Shed who was a strong Tory. She complained to A J Birley the mill owner about Labour supporters sticking pictures of the Labour candidate up on pillars in the mill, she thought he should sack them all. A J said he couldn’t do that as some of them were his best weavers. Fred said that it was the Great War that made the biggest change in voter’s attitudes. ‘The War to End All Wars’ as it was called gave hope to the oppressed of some improvement in their lot because of the sacrifices they had made. ‘Homes Fit For Heroes’ was a popular slogan of the time but once the danger of war had passed the lowest paid in society could see no evidence of any gain.

Immediately after the war there was some improvement. Two things were at work; the residual goodwill towards the returning servicemen and awareness of the undercurrent of change in attitudes towards traditional authority which had led to revolution in Russia. The government was afraid that British workers might follow the same course. However, in 1920 world economics came to the politician’s rescue, commodity prices soared as demands for scarce materials forced prices up. This put pressure on manufacturing industry exhausted by the war effort and hampered by out of date machinery and processes that were suffering from lack of capital investment. Markets at home and abroad collapsed and government was powerless to do anything about it. Single industry towns such as those in our area which depended totally on the textile mills were hit hardest and the view in some quarters was that there was nothing like a good dose of unemployment and hardship to bring the workers to heel.

In 1912 Fred started school at the Wesleyan church school. He stayed there until he was seven and then transferred to Alder Hill until he was thirteen. Those who lived at the other end of town went to the ‘Board School’ on New Road. Fred said “I’d only six years there and I used to enjoy it but then I got a teacher and she… whether she weren’t capable of doing her job reight I don't know, only that were standard four and I finished my education there, she just knocked me, well a few on us, flat. What had been good scholars up to coming into her class just went to pot. She wouldn't bother wi’ you and I don't, you know, when I look back and think, she weren’t capable of adjusting herself to all different types of children. She'd just pick about four out and them were her pets ‘cause when they were getting to that stage where they started studying then for their exams to go to Skipton Grammar School. Well if she could get some and they passed their exam for Skipton Grammar School probably she thought it were a feather in her cap and it didn't matter about the other twenty five or twenty six what were in the class, what happened to them. That were my opinion later on in life.”

Fred was twelve in 1920 and he started work half-time. You did mornings at school and afternoons at work one week and swapped to morning work and afternoon school the next. One of Fred’s favourite subjects was woodwork on Friday morning and Mr Thornton the teacher was so impressed with his skills that he arranged for Fred to have every Friday morning in school so that he could do a full year on woodwork before he left aged thirteen. The idea was that he would try to find him an apprenticeship as a carpenter when he left but this never happened.

Fred started night school as soon as he was in full time work at Bracewell Hartley’s in Brook Shed on New Road. “We used to take English, Drawing and Wood-work and for two years we took book-keeping you know, just to alter us subjects a bit, three nights a week, three shilling it were to join. We used to come home from work at half past five get us tea and run back to New Road to sign on to make sure you could get in, there were that many. They only allowed so many in, and if you put about 90% of your attendances in you got your three bob back.” I asked Fred why he went to night school and he said his motive was to improve his education but it wasn’t all academic. The serious subjects were taught at New Road but there were model-making and woodworking classes at Alder Hill.

I can’t help comparing attitudes to education in Fred’s day with what happens now. He said there was no contact between the parents and the school unless you did something wrong. Parkinson and Elizabeth trusted the system and left them to get on with it, basically all they were interested in was whether Fred was being taught reading, writing and arithmetic. There was no such thing as career guidance or alternative subjects, it was assumed that all the pupils were going to be labourers and in Earby that meant either farming or the mills. Some pupils who showed a specific aptitude might go as apprentices in skilled trades like engineering or carpentry but there were very few places available. The brightest pupils were candidates for scholarships to Ermysted’s Grammar School at Skipton and theoretically these were open to all but in reality there were barriers like the cost of uniforms and travel which meant that only the children of the wealthier parents got to go. Horace Thornton reported the same flaws in the system in Carleton at the same time. Fred couldn’t remember a single instance of a weaver’s son going to Skipton. Notice that I have made no mention of the girls, unless parents were very wealthy there was no chance of a girl escaping the system and getting into higher education. Fred’s opinion was that the teachers, seeing themselves as middle-class, looked down on the weavers and didn’t see them as anything other than mill-fodder.

It may be of course that Fred’s opinions are coloured by the bad experience he had in his last year in school but I have come across this opinion so often in these interviews that I think that he may have had a point, there was bias and the weaver’s children were disadvantaged. You can’t help wondering how much talent was wasted because of prejudice and poverty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CHAPTER 13: DRAGGING IT ALL TOGETHER

I’ve worked you hard and thank you for staying the course. It will all be worthwhile because you now have a better idea than most of what a weaving shed is, what the component parts are and a fair impression of what the workers did to make it an efficient producer of good cloth. It’s time you had a bit of light relief so I shall tell you the story of the productive years at Bancroft larded with plenty of individual stories of people and happenings. What is often forgotten is that the key component of the whole of industry is the workers and their skills. Too often they don’t get a voice, this was why I took the trouble to do the Lancashire Textile Project all those years ago and have been promoting it ever since. It is prime source historical evidence straight from the horse’s mouth. Research into history is tricky stuff but one thing you can be sure of is that the nearer you get to the source, the nearer you will get to some kind of truth. Notice that I don’t claim access to absolute truth, people are always subjective, they tell it from their perspective. I don’t believe there is any such thing as pure objectivity, only the consensus of the subjective. My role is to try to convey that consensus to you. Right! Enough philosophy, let’s have a look at the dynamic system that was Bancroft in the glory years.

I’m in trouble straight away, I’m going to have to backtrack on that statement. The fact is that Bancroft missed the glory years because they ended a year before the engine first started when the post Great War boom dried up. The peak of the trade in Barlick was from 1887 when the first shed company at Long Ing opened to the outbreak of the Great War which was to shatter the old imperial trading patterns and flows of capital forever. I don’t count the re-stocking boom after the war because it was an illusion, the more perceptive amongst the manufacturers knew this because the export trade had almost vanished. Even they hoped against hope, after all, they had seen hard times before but their experience was that after every downturn the trade roared back stronger than ever. Less than twenty years later they knew this was all finished.

Even so, Bancroft had the advantage of being a modern shed working under experienced management with excellent trade connections. If anyone could survive, they could. In the light of what they knew at the time, this was quite rational. The Nutter dynasty was successful, powerful and there were strong ties between the different firms within the dynasty. I can’t tell you a lot about Nutter Brothers except for their role in the move of James Nutter and Sons from Bankfield to Bancroft while they moved to Grove Shed at Earby. Let’s go into this in a bit more detail because it illustrates some of the fascinating problems you come up against when investigating commercial decisions which, by their very nature, were conducted in great secrecy.
We have to go back to the opening of Bankfield Shed which was another single mill room and power build going under the trading name of the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company. It was built in two phases but it is the first that interests us. At the time the first 1800 loom weaving shed opened in 1905 it was reputed to be the biggest single shed in Lancashire. James Nutter and Sons and Bradley Brothers were the first tenants with 900 looms each. Billy Brooks told me that Bradleys were bakers and knew nothing about manufacturing, they were also a private unlimited company. In 1920 this proved to be a fatal combination because they went bankrupt and lost everything reputedly because rather than accept the fact that there was no market they continued weaving and building stock in their warehouse until they ran out of money. Previous to this the Craven Herald reported on the 26th of March 1920 that Bankfield Shed had been sold to the tenants for £122,000, this equated to about £40 a loomspace. On this reckoning Bradley Brothers would have been liable for about £36,000 and one wonders whether this contributed to their failure. Remember that this was in a period when there was some very rash speculation in the whole of the Lancashire industry and firms were re-capitalising their assets at what turned out to be hopelessly optimistic prices because in July the same year the trade finally cracked when the post war re-stocking boom ended.

What is even more curious is that Harold Duxbury, who knew about these things, told me in a private conversation that shortly after this Bankfield was sold to Aldersley and Windle for £7,000. The Aldersley family were large capital owners in the town and I have an idea that Aldersley and Windle was a firm of accountants. Both Harold Duxbury and Victor Hedges of Proctor and Proctor at Burnley knew what was behind this but when I put the question to them they both clammed up and took the secret to the grave. I have no doubt in my own mind that there was some sort of paper transaction going on here that nobody wanted to divulge. I doubt if anything like the sums mentioned ever changed hands. Another curious thing is that even after selling the shed the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company were still quoted as the owners during other bankruptcy hearings in the 1930s. If I was asked to take a wild guess I think my favoured partial explanation would be that Bradley Brothers and James Nutters were major shareholders in the formation of the Barnoldswick Room and Power Company. The ‘sale’ would be a good thing for both as they would only be transferring assets from their firms to their majority stockholding. Suppose that when Bradley Brothers failed the shed company bought their shares at a knock-down price. Work it out for yourselves…

'Aunty Liza' starting Bancroft engine at the christening in 1920. James Nutter was dead and his wife Mary Jane was ill. This was the exact time when the trade cracked and the industry went into a long slow decline.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In ‘A Way of Life Gone By’ Arthur Green talks about the succession of firms which followed Bradley Brothers in the ‘bottom shop’ at Bankfield after they bankrupted in 1920. The Barnoldswick Manufacturing Company (nicknamed ‘Woolworth’s’) took over but were a ‘flash in the pan’. It was at their bankruptcy in 1930 that the room and power company were still the owners.

There seems to have been a succession of small firms in the vacant space until 1934. What happened then was that following the failure of another Nutter family firm, R Nutter, at Grove Mill in Earby, it was thought best for James Nutter and Sons to move out of what looked increasingly like a failing shed. This was when Nutter Brothers at Bancroft moved to Grove taking James Nutter’s 900 Bankfield looms with them and James Nutter and Sons moved into Bancroft using the looms already in situ. In a report in the Northern Daily Telegraph in 1937 about the prospect of Bankfield being bought by Walker Reid (1937) Ltd of Dunfermline for weaving artificial silk it was noted that Bankfield had closed in 1934 when James Nutter and Sons moved out. The mill was later bought by British Celanese according to a report in the Craven Herald in March 1938. They did a lot of work modernising the mill but the war intervened and its next use was as a shadow factory occupied by the Rover Company from Coventry.

Complicated stuff isn’t it. I’ve detailed what I know about this episode because, apart from having a direct bearing on our story about Bancroft it demonstrates a thread that can be found running through the history of all the shed company tenants. If they saw an advantage like a rent-free grace period, better conditions in a more modern shed or simply a lower rent they thought nothing of moving lock stock and barrel across the town into another shed. There were small firms of ‘loom shifters’ in the town who made a very good living out of moving looms from one location to another very quickly and efficiently. I could find you dozens of examples. But back to James Nutter and the story of Bancroft.

The ultimate loom-shifters. Norman Sutcliffe and his men scrapping looms at Bancroft in 1979.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

TEA BREAK: HARD TIMES
Fred and I talked a lot about hard times, not surprisingly he gave me some new insights into the subject. Fred saw the worst of the deprivation and uncertainty that prevailed amongst the workers at that time, we have to accept him as an expert.

The thing that seemed to affect Fred most was the bitter feelings that sprang up between, and sometimes inside, families. Imagine having a family to support, no savings, and suddenly your income vanishes. This was the situation many people found themselves in and some adopted desperate measures. When Earby was locked out and there were some mills still running on blackleg labour like Dotcliffe at Kelbrook it made sense to try to get work to survive. The blacklegs, or knobsticks as they were called locally, had to run the gauntlet of pickets at the mills where they suffered verbal and physical violence. Further, it was common practice for the weavers who were solid in the strike to congregate outside the houses of the offenders and beat dustbin lids or otherwise harass the families well into the night to deprive them of sleep. Fred knew of families who tried this route but couldn’t stand the intimidation, some of them were forced to leave the town. Remember that at this time the Midlands motor industry was entering a boom period and many people left Barlick for good in search of employment. If this interests you seek out the Arthur Entwistle transcripts in the LTP, he was one of these economic migrants.

A further problem for the strike breakers was that if they had declined any pitifully small dole payments to get back into work as knobsticks and then voluntarily chucked the job up because of intimidation they lost the dole as well and were worse off than they were before. Fred also made a very important point about the More Looms dispute which I have flagged up before. Many people still believe that what the weavers were striking against was the system itself but this is not the case. Most speakers, both from the unions and the Communists made it very clear that what was concerning them was the fact that no provision was being made to cushion the effects of the new system on the weavers who were inevitably going to lose their jobs if More Looms was adopted. The weavers weren’t ignorant, they knew there had to be a change in order for the industry to survive but they saw that all the pain was going to be borne by those least able to stand it, those displaced by the new arrangements.

It’s very hard for us to realise just how bad the inter-war years were for the workers at the bottom of the heap. Funnily enough, the worst effects don’t seem to have been hunger and eviction, although of course these evils abounded. The main thing that seems to have affected people like Fred and coloured the rest of their lives was the insecurity, the bad feeling and the very real violence that occurred. I know of one instance where a policeman drafted into Earby during the disputes stayed on afterwards and many of the older end ostracised him, they couldn’t forget the part he had played in the violence used by the establishment to break up demonstrations and pickets outside mills. The wonder is that so many weavers survived and eventually prospered. An even greater wonder is the number who went through this period and volunteered for service at the start of WW2.

One good thing that came out of all this hardship was an increase in the sense of community amongst the workers. Fred said “They were all like Coronation Street in those days…” If someone was ill the neighbours mucked in to help. If a family was in trouble the kids would get fed surreptitiously at neighbour’s houses when they were playing out. The thing that always strikes me when people tell me about this self-help culture is how sensitively it was done, without show and without it appearing like charity. The bottom line was that everyone knew they could be in the same position but they had their pride and tried to help others to preserve theirs. Ernie Roberts once told me that it even as a lad when his family was in desperate circumstances he remembered the number of anonymous gifts that were simply left on the doorstep, even the Salvation Army tried to be discreet when delivering a weekly food parcel. There is something very caring about this recognition that people had other needs apart from the physical, they had to be allowed to keep some dignity.

Closely allied to this subject is privacy. We seem to have this mental picture of people popping into each others houses for a cup of tea and a gossip. Fred said that whilst this might have happened occasionally it was definitely not the rule, in his experience it was unusual for people to be invited into other houses, particularly at meal times. He was very definite about this and remembered how surprised he was when he and his father called at Mr Nutter’s house in Thornton in Craven with a message. The old man asked Fred in so he could show him a rare plant he had, ‘Balm of Giliad’. It was reputed to have medicinal properties and Fred had never seen one before but the thing that stuck in his mind was that he had been asked into the house to see it while his father waited on the doorstep. Social interaction seems to have taken place more on the doorstep, out in the street or, in the case of the men, at work or in licensed premises and clubs.

Fred talked about his father’s drinking. He said that Parkinson liked a pint but drink was always last on his scale of priorities. Fred thought that this attitude to alcohol, which Fred himself adopted, was a result of having seen his father drink too much. He talked about families he knew where the kids had suffered from a boozy father but had turned out to be good men. He said that he went to night school with some particularly hard done-to lads and they made good scholars and did well for themselves.

Earby was no bed of roses in those days but what shines out in everything Fred told me is that the character of the majority of the workers was so good that they not only survived but prospered. Reports during the worst of the disputes give the impression that the government were puzzled by the solidarity of the strikers in the face of hardship. The impression I get is of an underlying bedrock of morality and compassion for others which was the glue that held society together no matter how bad things got. I wonder whether it is as strong today?

The Hungry Thirties. Jim Rushton, a noted communist and agitator for worker’s rights leading a protest march in Earby in 1932.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CHAPTER 14: 1934. JAMES NUTTER AND SONS TAKE OVER

Bear in mind that when we talk about James Nutter’s we mean the firm run by James’ eldest son, Wilfred Nutter. His father James died in 1914 six years before Bancroft was completed. Wilfred ran the firm when it was in Bankfield and masterminded the disposal of the assets in 1934 and the move to Bancroft. We need to look at one aspect of Wilfred’s private life because it is pertinent to our story. Wilfred had a daughter and a son, Reginald. I was told by several people that it was a matter of regret to Wilfred that Reginald never showed any interest in the family business. Owen Duxbury told me that Reginald Nutter had Gill Hall Farm in the 1930s. He knew this because he once saw some plans for a proposed extension built by Briggs and Duxbury when he was researching his family. He also said that Reginald had no interest in his father’s business and never went into cotton.

This has a bearing on one of the key participants in our story. Jim Pollard was a very promising cricketer in his youth when he lived in Earby and at one point was offered a place in the Lancashire County Cricket Club’s junior team but his mother couldn’t afford to let him go. Jim got over this disappointment and started playing for local teams where he soon started to attract the attention of club chairmen looking for talent. One of these was Wilfred Nutter who was a big man in the Barnoldswick Cricket Club. Jim’s father died in 1935 and it was essential that he found work to help support his mother but of course this was a bad time to be looking for a job in the textile districts. Things looked bleak…
At that time he was playing for Colne Cricket Club and so he went to the chairman, a manufacturer called Pickles, and told him that if he couldn’t find him a job he would have to leave the club. Jim said that it did the trick and he was given a job, not at the chairman’s own mill, he was managing director at Courtauld’s Standroyd Mill at Cottontree, but at Lambert’s Tape Sizers at Nelson. When he arrived on the first day he wasn’t even allowed to take his coat off because it was a union closed shop and so he came away empty handed. It looked as though he was snookered but out of the blue a man called Harry Kay who had a shop on Rainhall Road and was a keen Barlick cricket club supporter got in touch with him and told him to go and see a chap called Wilfred Nutter at Bancroft Shed who just happened to be president of the Barlick club. Jim went up to see him and Wilfred made him an offer he couldn’t refuse, he offered him a job in the preparation department (how handy that you know what this is!) at standard wage if he would join Barnoldswick Cricket Club and play for them. On top of that he gave would give him seven shillings and sixpence a week out of his own pocket. (Thirty seven and a half new pence) This was a permanent job with a wage that meant wealth beyond the dreams of avarice and Jim bit his hand off.

This was the start of Jim Pollard’s association with Bancroft and he once said that Wilfred knew his dad had just died and seemed to take him under his wing. It was almost as though Jim was a substitute for Reginald, the son who never came into the business. Whatever the truth in this, Jim stayed the course until Wilfred’s death in 1958 and after that under the new owners, K O Boardman of Stockport and was there until the end.

Wilfred lived for his cricket. He was a strong supporter of the Barlick club but Jim said he was no easy touch. If the club wanted say £750 for a new project he’d offer them £500 of it but they didn’t get it until they had raised the other £250 by their own efforts. Jim soon settled down at Bancroft, he started courting a lass in Barlick, went living with her and they married.

Jim’s first job was twisting, joining up the reed and heald sets off an old warp to the new warp. He was paid fourpence halfpenny (about 2 new pence) for every 1000 ends he twisted, a top man could do 15,000 in a day and there was a standing wage element on top of that. Jim didn’t like twisting, he could do it well enough but never took to it, he mixed up his tin of glycerine and whitening to protect his fingers and got on with it but all he had his eye on was the drawing-in frame where as he put it, “you put the pattern into the healds”.

In 1935 there were 1,152 looms in the shed at Bancroft. To keep these going there was a Barber knotting machine, four hand drawers and Jim twisting. “The Barber machine was run by Bill Whiteoak and sometimes Russell Wilkinson but he was shortly to leave and go to another Nutter firm, W E & D Nutter at Westfield Shed. The backman on the knotter was called Eccleston. A good Barber machine operator and a good backman could do about 32 or 33 warps a day. The hand twisters were Dan Brennan, Walter Plumley and Bob Walker plus a spare man called Bobby Calvert. On top of that you'd also got two labourers. One used to have all your healds and reeds ready and cleaned for the machine and also put sets at the side of the drawers which they had to do that day. Then the second man for that used to come and he’d go round, he’d go down and carry his healds about for him while he brought them into the hoist, old wood hoist, and brought them upstairs. He’d sweep up a bit, he was what you could call a spare, an odd job man. He’d be on about twenty five or twenty seven shillings and sixpence a week then”. (£1.30) Jim told me about the hours they worked, “The preparation department worked from seven in the morning, half an hour break at half past eight till nine o'clock for breakfast then you carried through from nine o'clock while half past twelve, then you had lunch break from half past twelve till half past one and you worked through then another four hours till half past five. But in them days we carried on working from half past five till nine o’clock every night for four nights a week, you'd one night off which was Wednesday night because the fellow that ran the Barber knotter had to go to the Cooperative society meeting on a Wednesday night, and that's why you got one night off.”

About 400 to 500 warps would be ‘downed’ in a week, a ‘down’ is an empty warp coming out of the shed that has to be replaced. Most of the weavers were still running four or five looms at 220 picks a minute. When More Looms was fully implemented the number of looms per weaver went up to ten and the speed was reduced to 180 picks a minute. Jim could remember the violence of the protests against More Looms and had accidentally become involved in the picket at Sough Bridge mill when he called in to visit a mate of his one afternoon in 1932. He was mistaken for a ‘knobstick, a blackleg or strike-breaker, “When they come to finish at half past five and we came down them stairs I were amazed. Police, crowd, booing us, I were innocent I didn't know about such thing as a strikes. Then in come the police and started with truncheons and scattered the pickets, they ran across the railway at Sough Bridge and they said a lot of them police were brought in specially, they weren't local police but brought from Doncaster area, a bit rough.” This is valuable evidence because we tend to forget the levels of violence and civil unrest that characterised labour relations during the troubles. Barlick Council complained to the Home Office about the level of police violence but were told that the police said it was necessary to restore order and the matter went no further.

Police supervising the picketing of Sough Mill in 1932. Note the size of the bobbies. This was no accident. They were reinforcements brought in from other forces and were all big men.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In 1935 the tacklers in the weaving shed were in charge of 140 loom sets. Jim said that it would be easier to cope with that size of set than the 70 looms which was the usual number in 1978. The reason for this was that the looms and the healds and reeds were in better condition and the weavers were far better. He cited the case of a trap bringing down less than thirty ends, the old weavers would take them up in a very short time and keep their other looms going as well. If it was more than thirty it was an unwritten rule that a man was brought down from the preparation department to take them up for her so the other looms could be kept weaving. In 1978 it would be the tackler that did it because there were no spare men in preparation. Another big difference was that the cloth wasn’t taken off the looms on rollers. When a cut mark came up the weaver had to cut the cloth out and pull the cloth off the roller in folds before taking it in to the cutlooker in the warehouse. Then she had to wrap the end of the cloth round the taking up roller herself and put the tension back on. Jim reckoned that most modern weavers couldn’t be trusted to do this correctly and this was one of the biggest reasons for bringing in wooden rollers and cloth-carriers. The cloth carrier cut the cloth out and gaited the loom back up to the taking off roller which in this case was an empty wooden roller. There were five clothlookers in the warehouse and two cloth bundlers in 1934.

After about six months on the twisting Jim was put onto a drawing frame and started off on plain weaves. He never went to night school to learn cloth construction but picked it as he went along and by reading every book on the subject he could lay his hands on. He was doing exactly the same job then as he was doing in 1978 when the mill closed but along the way had picked up other responsibilities as the preparation work reduced and in effect became the weaving manager. The warps they made varied between 1,500 ends and 3,500 in a 36” cloth and Jim was soon getting to the stage where he could draw an average warp in an hour and a half from start to finish. This wasn’t a bad speed. In the latter days of the mill I’ve seen him draw over 20,000 ends in a day, often working into the night. When we were struggling for orders and getting new sorts in that we hadn’t woven before he was essential and kept the shed going. Things weren’t made any easier by the fact he had to cut old healds and reeds down many a time. In 1978 the tacklers were very scornful of the quality of the warps because of the worn out healds and reeds but they knew that this was the only way to keep going.
In 1935 the industry was in turmoil because of ‘More Looms’ and I asked Jim how many people working for James Nutter and Sons were in the union, he said that as far as he knew there were none but I got the impression that if they were union members they’d keep quiet. Jim never addressed this directly but I think they would have been quietly sacked. Hard times. One piece of evidence I found stated that Nutters didn’t covert the whole shed to More Looms in one go, they tried the system out gradually because “they didn’t want to sack anyone” I think this was an example of Wilfred’s management abilities, he didn’t want to provoke his workers. I have figures for the number of looms each weaver was running in 1941 and even then, the larger sets were in the minority.

The great thing about having Jim Pollard for a source was that he wasn’t just a good man on the technology but he could remember people so we can put some names to the management in 1935. Wilfred Nutter spent most of his time in the Manchester office and had a Manchester man to help him. The weaving manager was Vernon Nutter, preparation manager was Stanley King, Tom Broughton was chief clerk in the office and Robert Walker was the wages clerk. There were three tapers, Joe Nutter who was still there when we closed, Rennie Shepherd and Joe Cowley. Many of the names long forgotten but essential to a busy shed turning out 200,000 yards of cloth a week. That’s a lot of weaving.

Christmas 1940 was a red letter day for Jim, he was called up for army service in the war where he became a gunner, saw his share of action and ended up being invalided home with a bad case of Black Water Fever which put him in hospital for more than a year and affected him for the rest of his life.

I have a story for you about Jim’s war service… At one point early on in the war he was an Ack Ack gunner (anti-aircraft) protecting the big explosives factory at Ardeer on the West coast of Scotland. One of the peculiar things about this part of Scotland is that they play cricket and while Jim was billeted in Stevenson the local club got wind of the fact that he was a useful player. They approached his commanding officer and got permission for Jim to play for them at weekend. This was right up Jim’s street of course and he found a set of flannels and some boots and went down to the ground. When he got there he was pleased to see long queues waiting to get into the match and as he rounded the corner he found out why. There was a large notice board next to the entrance to the ground which announced that the guest player for that weekend was ‘Pollard of Lancashire’! Alright, you youngsters won’t recognise the significance of this but being a crumbly I can enlighten you. At that time one of the most famous cricketers in England was a bloke called Dick Pollard, also known as ‘Th’Owd Chain Horse’ because of his strength and the fact he would bowl his heart out all day. The crowds were under the impression they were getting a different Pollard!

Jim Pollard on the left and Sidney Nutter in the office planning the work in the mill.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bancroft, in 1935 had almost 450 people running 1,152 looms for 50 hours and making 200,000 yards of cloth a week. Remember that at the peak of the industry when Bancroft started in 1920 there were 14 mills in Barlick and many were bigger this. No wonder we were a single industry town, nobody had any time to do anything else.
TEA BREAK: HARD TIMES AND SOCIETY
Both Fred and his dad were members of the Overlooker’s Union which used to meet in the Ambulance Hall next to the Band Club on New Road in Earby but Fred said that eventually the Band Club offered the union space to hold the meetings and gave all who attended a check for a free pint of beer. The meetings transferred next door and no doubt the Band Club made a profit because they would be selling beer to them all evening. We talked about how strict the unions were in enforcing the rules and Fred said that in Barnoldswick and Earby they were no where near as particular as they were in Colne and Nelson. I asked Fred what he meant, he said that in Colne and Nelson nobody went into the mill until the engine was starting and as soon as the engine stopped they were out. In Barnoldswick and Earby workers would go in before the engine started to get ready for the day’s work and at night when the engine stopped tacklers and twisters would finish the job they were working on rather than just down tools. He reckoned this was because so many of them had loaned money to the firms they worked for and regarded it as almost a family business. This was even more evident after the collapse in 1932 of R Nutter and Sons at Grove Shed and the advent of co-operative firms in some mills in Earby. These were the ‘self-help shops’ where the weavers paid so much a loom (usually £2 annually) for weaving and shared in the profits. At one time Grove Shed, part of Victoria Mill and Sough Bridge Mill were self-help and it was the Victoria co-op that was bought out by Johnsons and became the basis of the biggest and longest surviving weaving operation in Earby. This move to self-help and the advent of Johnson’s was largely the brain-child of Percy Lowe who was the weaving manager at Grove Shed under Nutters, a name almost forgotten now but Earby owes him a great debt.

Talking about Percy Lowe and the training he had with Nutters got Fred on to describing the quality of the management in those days. They had started young and done, or helped to do, every job in the mill. By the time they got into the office and started to learn the business side they were skilled men and well able to take on the responsibility of running a large mill. Fred commented that those days had gone, many of the management in the post Second World War years hadn’t got this grounding and this contributed to the decline of the industry. This reminds me of Bob King who died recently, he was a mill manager in Earby and when the trade entered terminal decline he went out to New Zealand and used his experience over there to design and run mills and invent new uses for old cloths. One has to wonder whether innovation like this could have saved some of the industry at home if the skilled men had been there to drive it forwards.

The value of talking to someone like Fred about his experiences isn’t simply because of the hard facts you can learn. Just as important is the overall picture of how the workers interacted with the industry and the effects this had on the community. One of the advantages of working in a single-industry town is that social intercourse is much easier because everyone understood the problems their neighbours faced as they had exactly the same ones to contend with.

The picture that builds up as we listen to people like Fred is of a busy, walking-distance town which in good times was reasonably prosperous. Much is made of the bad times in the inter-war years but we should not forget things like the high level of owner-occupiers, most people were either owners of or were buying their houses. There were very few distractions and if you could keep out of the boozer and leave the horses alone, it was possible to save. Fred made a very important point when he mentioned the number of people who lent money to the firms they worked in and regarded themselves as having a stake in the business. This stems back to the days when there were no banks in Barnoldswick and Earby and the safest place for your money was to invest it in the mill you worked at. It was a good thing for the mills because the usual interest rate on such loans was half a percentage point below bank rate. The workers had a stake and additional income and the manufacturers had cheap capital. We can still see the legacy of this solid base in the traditional society. The houses they built were solid, stone-built properties which even now are better than modern houses and built to higher standards. The lay-out of the streets tends to encourage interaction, the garden fronts and the back gates which are so handy to lean on and watch the world go by. These are small things and easily overlooked but contribute much to the quality of our lives 150 years after they were built.

Dam Head and Gisburn Road in about 1900. These big solid houses were a late example of the quality of build founded on the success of the mills. They are desirable properties even now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CHAPTER 15: BANCROFT DURING THE SECOND WORLD WAR

I’m writing this in December 2008 and in these enlightened days we have wall to wall news coverage giving us all the doom and gloom we can manage and more. Everything seems to be in crisis, the weather, energy foreign wars and the biggest economic crisis since 1926, or so they tell us. I’ve got news for you, they have short memories. In 1939 we were about to see an industrial and economic crisis that makes 2008 look like a picnic. I was surprised to learn, not long ago, that many young people have never heard of the Second World War. I hope they read this chapter.

In 1939 the pressures that had been building up in Europe since the Treaty of Versailles in 1919 which ‘ended’ the Great War were coming to a head. Nazi Germany invaded Poland and precipitated WW2. It was not that much of a surprise. Much has been made of how ill-prepared we were for war but nobody has ever told the story of the areas where we were very efficient. When the war started in September 1939 a lot of thought had been put into how best to get the country on a war footing very quickly.

The government had been busy. They had accepted the dictum ‘The bomber will always get through’ and realised that the Luftwaffe knew exactly where many of our major production facilities were. It had been noted during the inter-war years that the German airship Hindenburg seemed to get lost frequently when coming in over Britain on its way back from America. There was a suspicion that they were taking aerial photographs of possible targets and after the war it transpired that this was correct, the Luftwaffe were making their plans. Chief amongst the vulnerable industries were the large engineering firms in the Midlands who made aero engines. One of these was the Rover company and a year before the war started officials from what was to become the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) were scouring England for large factory facilities in out of the way towns which could be quickly converted to war production. Every cloud has a silver lining and the long decline in the textile industry that had closed many mills had provided the ideal sites for re-locating industries. Empty mills in Clitheroe, Earby and Barnoldswick were requisitioned and by the end of 1940 Barlick had an aero engine industry when the Rover Company moved in to Bankfield and later took over Butts, Wellhouse, Calf Hall and other mills in the town. They also used their heads and took the country club at Bracewell Hall for their offices…

All this is fairly well known but there was another initiative to rationalise the cotton industry and put it on a war footing. Lessons had been learned from the Great War and the planners knew that demand for cloth would fall, cotton supplies would diminish and much of the labour force would be needed for war work. An entirely new layer of management was imposed on the industry, the Cotton Control Board (CCB) backed up by the Board of Trade. Resources such as raw materials, fuel and essential supplies for maintaining and running the remaining mills were strictly rationed. Licenses had to be obtained from the government for all these resources and regional offices were set up to administer the structure. All this was bad enough but there was more. Decisions had to be made about how many mills were needed and closures were enforced by the CCB.

I have very little evidence for exactly how this was done but one thing I am certain of is that Wilfred Nutter made some very smart moves, in fact it is the manner in which he managed this situation that leads me to think that the Nutter firms were all under his control. He seems to have started with one major priority, that his most modern and efficient asset, Bancroft Mill, should survive and carry on weaving. He managed this by closing down all the firms apart from James Nutter for the duration of the war. Nutter Brothers at Grove finished, the shed was emptied and was taken over as a shadow factory. W E & D Nutter at Westfield closed and most of their looms were moved up to Bancroft and stacked two high on top of the existing looms at the back of the shed reducing the effective number at Bancroft to about 500. Wilfred was actually forestalling the ministry here because he knew that he was going to be forced to make a 60% reduction in the number of looms he ran anyway. This was a controversial move at the time because moving W E & D Nutters out of Westfield effectively shut Brooks Brothers down until the end of the war and the shed was requisitioned for storage. Somehow I don’t think Wilfred would be flavour of the month with the Barnoldswick Manufacturer’s Association because the Brooks brothers were key players. The net result when the dust settled was that Wilfred had his way, Bancroft wove right through the war when so many other firms were knocked out. I don’t know about you but I get the feeling that Wilfred was a smart cookie and had determination to match. The net result of the closures in the national industry due to the war was that the number of looms fell from 530,000 in 1935 to 220,000 in 1941. In 1948 it was back up to a post-war peak of 355,500. Compare this with 810,000 in 1915, a crude indication of what had happened to the industry in thirty years.

On top of all this the national economy and supply network was put on a war footing as well. If you think we have economic problems now just remember that everything had to be bent towards armaments and a tremendous expansion of the armed forces. The techniques of deficit-financed management of the nations wealth that are being deployed in 2008 to counter recession are a pale imitation of the same principles that were honed to perfection in the war years. Just about everything was rationed from food, clothing and fuel to people’s ability to decide where they were going to work. That’s right, you needed permission to change your job. The workers at Bancroft in 1939 were stuck there for the duration.

There was another form of labour management that affected the men. A decision was taken as to whether allowing them to remain in their employment was more important to the overall war effort than calling them up for military service. If you were in a ‘reserved occupation’ you were safe from the call-up but locked into that job until the war was over. This was a reassuring situation in one way but not good if you were in a job you couldn’t stand or with management who were treating you badly. It wasn’t unknown for men to apply for call-up rather than stay in such a position.

Another thing that is forgotten now is that cloth was essential to the war effort. A firm like Johnson and Johnson at Big Mill in Earby who wove nothing but gauze for wound dressings had no problems qualifying as Essential Works under the regulations. Horace Thornton was working in Skipton for Rycroft’s at Broughton Road Shed during the war. Rycroft’s were noted as weavers of very high quality shirtings and fine dress fabrics and during the war concentrated almost entirely on parachute cloth. This was very high specification cloth and strictly inspected for quality by the MAP. Horace was therefore regarded as a key employee in a reserved occupation and he is the source of much of my knowledge about the subject. Bancroft cloth was not as high quality as Rycrofts but just as important in other ways. One staple during the war was a very high quality, heavy cotton cloth that we still wove in the 1970s when I was there. I remember saying to Jim one day that a shirt made out of that cloth would last you for ever. It transpired that it was such high quality because it was used for making cloth polishing wheels for the engineering industry. It had to be good stuff to stand up to the duty demanded of it.

I know I use this phrase frequently but here we go again… every cloud has a silver lining. The workers in the shed saw an improvement in both their terms of employment and the amount of their wages. This didn’t kick in immediately but by the time the war was over the piece rate system had been modified so that it was no longer possible to weave for a week and get no wage. The average wage for a weaver in 1936 was thirty one shillings and five pence (£1.57), in 1945 it was three pounds eighteen shillings (£3.90). In 1941 the weavers achieved a goal they had been pursuing for years, on the 19th August 1941 a Minimum Wage Agreement was signed. This was the first general agreement in the textile industry that guaranteed the workers wages couldn’t fall below a certain figure. This varied during the war but started at 25/- (£1.10). This agreement and the management of these changes was overseen by local Emergency Joint Committees which included representatives from all sides of the industry. Here’s a list of some of the things they made decisions on: Dawn to dusk working. Whitewashing sheds. Protection from flying glass. The provision of air raid shelters. Air raid precautions.

Dawn to dusk working is an intriguing subject but if you had been alive in the war you’d realise that one of the first air raid precautions brought in at the beginning of hostilities was the ‘black-out’. All street lights were turned off for the duration, motor vehicle headlights had to be masked and windows had to be covered with black out material during the hours of darkness. All this was done to deprive enemy bombers of any indication where their targets were. In the early days it wasn’t physically possible to install black out precautions overnight so the mills worked only during daylight hours until the black out could be installed, from dawn to dusk. Eventually all the windows in the mill were fitted with black out curtains that could be pulled up to cover the windows thus allowing the mills to work when it was dark. In 1978 the hooks and eyes used for guiding and controlling the strings that operated these curtains were still in place in the ceiling of the weaving shed at Bancroft.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was one short-term problem for the industry as a whole in June 1940 when the Board of Trade, as part of its strategy for reducing the amount of cloth available on the home market gave customers the right to cancel cloth orders. I have no direct evidence that this affected Bancroft but it was so serious that deputations from the weaving trade made strenuous efforts to have the order rescinded but failed. I think we have to remember that cloth contracts were the life-blood of the industry and over the years had been refined to a stage where they were seen as Holy Writ. Tampering with these would be a very strong signal to the manufacturers that the rules of the game had changed.

It isn’t my brief here to chronicle the social history of WW2, I think you have enough oil in your collective cans to realise that, like the Great War, everything changed. If you want evidence of this think of the general election of July 1945 and the reforming Labour administration that followed. However, there is one area we should look at in some detail because it was to be very important after the war.

During the whole history of the textile factory system the industry had been managed by the manufacturers to give them control over every aspect of the trade at the expense of the workers. Wages and conditions were screwed down to give minimum operating expenses and in a single industry town the workers had little choice but to knuckle down to it. 1940 changed all this when the Rover Company moved into Bankfield and other mills in the area. Rolls Royce took over Bankfield and Gill Brow in 1942 and so Barlick had two modern industrial firms thanks to Herr Hitler. I have evidence of workers moving from Barlick to the motor industry in the Midlands as early as 1931 because wages and conditions were so much better down there. Many workers displaced from the mills in 1939 went into Rover and Rolls Royce during the war and were surprised to find out that you could get as much money for sweeping the floor as you could doing a highly skilled job in much worse conditions in the mill. It was the small things like clean level floors, lower noise levels, better lighting and clean toilets that made the biggest impression. Everything in the mills was 19th century standard including the wage structure and it was obvious to outsiders that things had to change.

I asked Horace Thornton about this because he was a very intelligent man and had worked all this out for himself while he was locked in a reserved occupation at Rycroft’s during the war. He said that he used to hear the management talking about what would happen after the war and said that they seemed to be totally oblivious to the changes that were happening. They thought that they were going to be able to go back to the old-fashioned management structures they ran pre-war. Many of them resented the improvements that had been forced on them by government regulation and I get the idea that there was a certain amount of social engineering going on which was initiated by civil servants who were shocked by the conditions they found in the industry. Many of the manufacturers were convinced that they could turn the clock back to the ‘good old days’. They were in for a big shock.

All over the land Home Guard platoons were formed. This one was at General Gas Appliances in Audenshaw near Manchester. The bloke with glasses in the centre of the second row is my father.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Colonel Mainwaring ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very close Bodge. His name was Corby.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

TEA BREAK: ATTITUDES TO WORK AND UNEMPLOYMENT
Fred and I were talking about conditions in the weaving sheds. We both agreed that there was a vast difference between the worst and the best and Bancroft was somewhere down at the bottom of any league table. The management had made a good job of building the mill and equipping it and then spent nothing on it at all apart from essential maintenance. The floors were terribly uneven, plaster dropping inside the shed, green mould up the walls where the shed butted into the hillside and the toilets were a disgrace.

Fred contrasted this with his time at Johnsons from 1952 to 1978. For the first part of his time there Percy Lowe was in charge and Fred said he walked round the mill regularly and both his eyes and his hands were busy. “He’d say to the manager so and so wants doing, get all the tacklers in at Saturday morning and get it done. And another time they were going to make some Lenos [A very complicated weave] “Get to know how to do them, get the tacklers in at Saturday morning”. Johnson’s were one of these places, you never said how much will we get, what are we getting, you said nothing but your money were allus there. You allus left it to Mr Lowe, whatever he asked you to do, whatever you did, there were no quibble about paying for it. We did a lot of Saturday morning work then, there were allus sommat. He’d walk round and he’d see sommat you know. Same as you used to lap [wrap] sand rollers wi’ gauze so as they didn’t pluck. One time he said “It looks like a blooming rag shop, we'll have ‘em all painted, tell all the sweepers to come in Saturday morning and lift the rollers up and the tacklers can paint ‘em, we'll have it looking tidy”. That were what he used to say. It were what you call good house-keeping, he were allus on about good house-keeping. Every day there were a fella there and he used to go round all the mill picking all the wrappers up, you know what, them spare ends what were running round (Spare ends in the warp ready to be used if an end went down). The weavers used to cut ‘em off and they used to put ‘em on the floor and he used to go round and all the lap ends off the warps were all on his arm. None had to be laid about on the floor and none had to go into the sweepings as rubbish. They were picked up and put in a bag all tidy as clean waste. Twice a week the same man had to go down the main shafting and sweep the dust off it. Percy kept things as tidy and as clean as he could, he were interested in the job, he knew what he were doing, but there's some of these others, they wouldn't know one thing from t’other.”

Johnsons had a shaft man. His job was to see to all the bearings on the shafting and when he wasn’t doing that he went round with a stick with a piece of iron hoop on the end lined with emery. He passed this down the shafting as it was turning and eventually all the shafting was polished until it shone. Newton Pickles once told me that a lot of shops polished the shafts and he said that when you came to move a drum it was a beggar because the shafting was thinner where it had been polished over the years and you had to make new bushes so it would fit. Birley’s at Albion Shed got the thumbs up from Fred as well, he said they were a good management and understood the trade. They weren’t frightened of weaving for stock if orders were down because that was generally when yarn was cheapest. This could be a risky undertaking if you didn’t know exactly what you were doing but Birleys did well at it. I was always told that this was what banked Bradley Brothers at Wellhouse in Barlick, weaving for stock and getting caught with cloth there was no market for.

Fred talked a lot about the big beam engine that drove Victoria. He said they used to say it drove all the looms from the Empire Cinema across to New Road. Newton told me it had 2,800 looms on at peak and so was delivering about 1500hp. It took 42 tons of coal a week to drive these and cope with seven taping machines, and this was without heating the shed. Even so, reckoned in coal burnt per loom it was the oldest and most efficient engine in Barlick or Earby. Fred said that in winter, when the shafting was cold, they barred it round for half an hour before attempting to start it, this was because of the length of shafting and the friction in the cold bearings, they had to be freed before the engine could overcome the inertia on starting without damaging anything.

I asked Fred what the attitude in the dole office was on the odd occasions when he had been playing for a week. I asked him if there was any superior attitude on the part of the clerks in the dole office. “Yes 'cause you knew one or two on ‘em what were working in the dole office and you knew what sort of people they were. Just give 'em that bit of authority and that were it. There were one fella in particular he knew all the Earbyers and he were as good as gold, no ifs and buts. He’d talk nicely and say sign here Fred and sign there Fred you know, like that. Or sign here Stanley, sign there Stanley. He got pulled up, he were too good to the clients what were coming.” I asked Fred who pulled him up. “The manager at the labour exchange, he said it weren’t his job [to be nice], he’d to just throw this paper down and they'd to fill it up and if they didn’t fill it up right there were no money for ‘em when it went in. That were the attitude of some of them managers, and these clerks, well some on ‘em you know, they were all in wi’ the manager and they just used to throw it down. 'Cause I had an instance of that, I'd gone and he said “Put your name there.” did one on 'em. So I put Fred Inman and it must have been two year after, I signed on again and I got this paper and filled it in and I put, signature F. Inman. When I went to draw me dole he says “What’s this?” He says “Fred Inman there, F. Inman here. Are they two different fellas?” I said no, only I were told to put me name there, and now I saw signature, so I put me signature. He says “Well you'll have to wait.” So I waits while they all get the money what were there, then he says “You'll have to come to Barlick.” I says “When?” He says “Friday.” They were out at Thursday. I'd to go to Barlick, at Friday night, five o'clock at Barlick, just for that simple thing like that and he knew damn well that there were nowt wrong about it.”
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CHAPTER 16: AFTER THE WAR WAS OVER

1945 was a good year, the church bells rang and we all had street parties, once for VE day and again for Victory over Japan. For the first time since 1939 we could have the street lights on and not bother about the black-out and enemy bombers. I was still living in Stockport then and in the early years of the war we had retreated to the Anderson shelter in the garden every time the sirens went which was quite often because the Luftwaffe were trying to hit the big railway viaduct about a quarter of a mile away that carried the main west coast line. At last we could relax, six years of fear was behind us.
Barlick was never bombed, the MAP men had chosen well when they took over the mills for aero engine production. The workers displaced from the mills who had gone to work at Rover and Rolls Royce had different skills now and had got used to working in reasonable conditions. Even if all the mills had opened immediately after the war they wouldn’t have been rushing back. As it turned out, Rolls Royce stayed in the town and are still here but Rover went back to Coventry and left a lot of empty mills that had been totally refurbished to modern standards. This available space plus the fact that there was a disciplined work force used to modern methods of production made Barlick and Earby very attractive to industries who wanted to get a head start into the markets that would surely come as the economy got back to a peace time footing. We got new industries, Jowett Motors from Bradford moved their Bristol Tractor division into Sough Bridge Mill and this spawned the Forecast Foundry and Kelbrook Metal Products on the same site. Armorides moved into Grove Shed at Earby with an entirely new industry making plastic coated fabrics for the car industry. Blin and Blin, a woollen firm, moved into Calf Hall and for the first time in the history of textiles Barlick we had spinning mules. Carlson Filtration took over Butts and numerous small enterprises started in odd parts of mills that were left unoccupied. Tom Clarke set up a small mattress making firm called Craven Pad in his back yard in Skipton using his gratuity payment from his RAF service. Later moved into Clough Mill at Barlick and eventually Silentnight was born, one of the biggest bedding companies in the world and a major employer.

As mills like Westfield and Wellhouse were de-requisitioned they were filled up with looms that had been stored for the duration and the engines started again. By 1947 we perhaps had half the total number of looms running compared with 1920. This didn’t mean that we had half the weavers employed in comparison because one of the effects of the war years had been to allow most of the manufacturers that had kept going to change over to a full-blown More Looms System. Many weavers now ran eight looms in a set at most mills, at Bancroft we eventually ran ten sets but we were a bit slow to convert completely. The looms that were changed had been slowed down by changing the pulleys on them and instead of rattling away at 220 picks a minute they were down to 180. This made it easier on the weavers, easier on the old looms and theoretically easier on the tacklers because they would have less faults. In fact the tacklers didn’t see a lot of benefit because the standard of weaving had fallen due to lack of training during the war years and this meant more weaving faults attributable to the weaver. Tackler’s sets had to be halved to about seventy looms a set where More Looms was fully embraced.

The systems of licensing which had been brought in at the beginning of the war to ration resources and make sure that every input was really essential and would produce the desired return were kept in place. I have a quotation from the Nelson Engineering Company Limited dated 28th of August 1947 for new light fittings in the weaving shed and part of the letter reminds the management that it is their responsibility to apply for the licence from the ministry which was necessary for the work. Everything was still rationed and would stay that way until the mid 1950s. We were beginning to realise that the war effort had completely drained the nation, we were flat broke. The Marshall Plan to get Europe back on its feet wasn’t fully applied to Britain. The only way out for the nation was to make money by exporting manufactured goods and a new slogan appeared, ‘Export or Die’.
Let’s look at some figures, they can be boring I know but we need some comparisons with pre-war working to give us an idea of what the war had done to the industry. I’m concentrating on what applied to Barlick, for instance, only plain Lancashire looms are counted. The figures for the whole industry were collated by the Amalgamated Weavers Association. In 1935 there were 530,000 looms, in 1948 this had fallen to 144,814. (286,600 if you include modern looms). Worrall’s Directory of the Lancashire Textile Industry (1957) records 808,796 looms in 1916. In 1948 the figure is 421,300. (In later years Worrall’s figures as supplied by the individual manufacturers could be suspect because they were often over-estimated to give a rosier picture of how the firms were doing). As I’ve said before, this history is tricky stuff and when you start to look at statistics it gets even more problematic. Feinstein in his National Income Expenditure and output of the UK. 1855-1965, a very reliable source, give us some surprising evidence. He says that overall production in the textile industries in the UK in 1937 was slightly above 1913 levels despite all the industry’s problems and in 1948 was running at only 12% below the pre-war figure. This almost certainly reflects technological advances across the industry. Singleton, in his Lancashire on the Scrapheap gives total exports of cotton cloth in square yards for 1938 as 927,000,000. The figure for 1950 when post war exports reached a peak is 624,000,000. In 1938 we imported 52,000,000 square yards of cloth annually, in 1950 this had risen to 287,000,000 with most of the increase accounted for by India, Japan and Spain. By 1960 the imports had reached 728,000,000 yards. The message was clear, the reign of ‘King Cotton’ was over.

Victory over Japan street party in Bankfield Avenue, Heaton Norris, Stockport. If you look carefully on the left side of the picture you’ll see two ladies next to each other with babies in their arms. Look just below the right hand lady and you’ll see a handsome young lad with black hair….
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to make a confession here. I have feet of clay. When N&R were demolishing Bancroft they cleared the office out and burned all the papers except for a few I managed to rescue. I suppose that technically this makes me a thief but I have to report that I haven’t lost any sleep over it. The result is that we have some valuable figures specific to Bancroft. The first piece of evidence is a copy of a return made to the Cotton Spinners’ & Manufacturers Association for their census of manufacturing wages in November 1945. We know why the census was taken because there is a letter dated 18th November 1945 explaining that it was required because a wage demand for a 7.5% advance had been received from the Northern Counties Textile Trades Association. It gives us some valuable clues about the way Bancroft had been run during the war. There were ten juvenile weavers on less than four looms and their average wage was £2.25. It’s evident from the figures for the other weavers that Bancroft hadn’t fully adopted the More Looms System by 1945 because the majority of weavers, 103 of them, were on four loom sets and earning an average of £3.50, only 38 were on large sets. Two weavers were left out of the survey because they were pensioners running a reduced set of looms. There were four winders averaging £2.50. One beamer on £2.75. Seven tacklers averaging £6.50. Two tapers on £6.40. The man running the Barber Knotter was on £6.70 and his backman got £4.90. There were two drawers on £5.60. 5 Cloth lookers on £4.35 and two weft and tape labourers on £4.45 a week. The total number of loom hours lost by absenteeism during the week ending October 27th 1945 was 6,152. The number of licensed looms stopped because of shortage of labour was 170. The firm had a license to run 900 looms of which 730 were running.

In a similar survey dated November 1947 the total number of weavers is slightly higher at 160, the wage bill is £632-10-0. Loom hours lost is 1,308, stopped looms was 146, licensed looms 900 and the number of looms running was 704.

We can draw a few conclusions from the 1945 figures. Only 38 weavers out of 141 in total are running bigger sets, presumably on More Looms conditions, these weavers are the highest paid in the shed. (In 1947 there were 57 weavers on sets larger that 4 looms and once again they are the highest paid in the shed, three of them earning over £5 a week) Wilfred has managed to steer Bancroft through the war years losing only a third of looms in production compared with the pre-war figure of 1,183. We can make a very rough guess from the number of looms in 1945 that he’s producing more than half his pre-war production of cloth with less than half the weavers and we know that his total wage bill for those weavers is just over £500 (£632-10-0 in 1947). There is a good chance that he is running more profitably in 1945 and 1947 than he was in 1938. Wilfred didn’t die until 1958. Bancroft had a good man at the helm for what had to be done next.

I can give you one more set of figures for licensed looms and I suspect this is the most accurate one of the lot. It was produced by the Barnoldswick Manufacturer’s Association. It isn’t printed but is a carbon copy of a neatly typewritten document, a lot of trouble went into producing it. It gives the number of licensed looms for every firm in Barlick. Don’t worry, I’ll just give the figures for Bancroft. In 1940/41 1,183 looms. In November 1941 it was 1,152 looms. (This coincides with the figure Jim always mentioned and I think that this may be the date when full licensing was introduced as the figures carry on on a larger separate sheet and all of them change.) February 1942, 1000. October 1942, 900. From March 1943 to October 1947 when the series ends the number is constant at 945 looms. There is a supplementary sheet which details the licensing fees paid into the Barlick Manufacturer’s Association as a membership fee. The total paid by James Nutter Ltd at Bancroft Shed between November 1931 (1/3 per loom) until October 1947 (1/6 per loom) was £972-15-0. There is a balance sheet dated December 31st 1947 for the association which states assets of £5,612-3-7 and liabilities of £1,223-19-10, total looms in Barlick 7,373 and an excess of income over expenditure of £4,388-3-8, which is 11/10 per loom. There are always puzzles when dealing with specific returns to different organisations. One arises here when the figures above are compared with the official returns to the Cotton Control Board in 1942/43. These give the total number of looms as 1,152, licensed looms 524. The discrepancy may be due to a different definition of licensed looms because there is reference to an additional 478 looms running weaving cotton which roughly equates to the figure of 900 licensed looms given to the Manufacturer’s Association.

There is a speculation I can make from this list. It concerns three Nutter concerns, James Nutter and Sons, Nutter Brothers and W E & D Nutter. Between them in 1941 they were running 3,500 looms in Barlick and Earby. It’s interesting to note that even though Nutter Brothers had moved to Earby which had its own manufacturer’s association, they retained their membership at Barlick. Nutter Brothers were in Grove Shed at Earby and this was taken over by the MAP as a Rover shadow factory yet right through the war they are noted as paying the licence fee on 406 looms. I don’t understand this but I do know from Harold Duxbury’s evidence that they were tenants in Wellhouse well after the war so they survived the conflict but I also know that Wellhouse had no weaving in it during the war years so there is a mystery there. W E & D Nutter seem to vanish during the war but popped up again post-war weaving at Friendship Mill, Read but I suspect that by then Wilfred had no interest. There is one tantalising piece of evidence, a request from the Cotton Control Board for a monthly return dated January 1948 from W E & D Nutter, Bancroft Mill. It is signed by Vernon Nutter who was the Manchester Man. Could it be a phantom firm used to get a yarn allocation? In a letter to the Cotton Spinners and Manufacturer’s Association attached to the completed census form of 1945 it was stated that W E & D Nutter were included in the return.

The suspicion I have is that one of the ways Wifred could have arranged for Bancroft to continue as the second largest firm in Barlick (S Pickles and Son had 1722 looms) throughout the war years was because the firms he was closely involved in had lost two thirds of their weaving capacity. One factor may have been the use of W E & D Nutter, whether as a functioning firm or a phantom. I have had vague verbal evidence that some of their looms were stacked at the back of Bancroft weaving shed. What is certain is that there would have been a lot of infighting and discussion amongst the twenty two members of the manufacturer’s association before the reductions were agreed and the two men who did best were Wilfred Nutter and Stephen Pickles.

Three small things caught my eye while I was trawling through the old papers. One was a letter from the Cotton Control Board in 1942 flagging up that there was going to be an increased demand for cotton drill cloth and asking firms to give estimates of how many looms they could turn over to this production. Tropical gear for the army? In another letter dated 27th of August 1946 from the Board of Trade it was explained that a new rationing system was to be brought in and one of the reasons given was that they wished to ensure that yarn was available for ‘re-opening weavers’. Evidently the return of mills to production after the war was putting strain on available resources and these were going to be shared out. The last is a letter dated October 1945 headed The Barnoldswick Cotton Trade Insurance Company Ltd. based at Westfield Mill, secretary Christopher Brooks who has signed it. It is to James Nutter and Sons Ltd. and concerns a claim made by Miriam Wiseman for injury sustained at Bancroft. I knew that the manufacturer’s association was formed to protect the members against the consequences of the 1897 Workman’s Compensation Act and that they had formed an insurance company but this is the first hard evidence for it I have found.

That’s quite enough figures. They tell us what we need to know. Our impressions of trade in Barlick are reflected in the national figures. Because of the war, the physical size of the industry halved, productivity increased slightly after the war because of more efficient working but between 1938 and 1948 the great foreign low-wage cotton producers had seized the export market and we would never recover the predominance we once held particularly in imperial trade.

In the immediate post-war years this wasn’t as clear to the industry as it is to us with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Government policy homed in on the Lancashire Textile industry as part of the solution to the problems of the economy. A shiny new slogan appeared all over the north of England, ‘Britain’s Bread Hangs by Lancashire’s Thread!’ There is little doubt that the industry was motivated by this campaign. We see evidence of this in Barlick in general and at Bancroft in particular. Let’s have a look at what happened at Bancroft.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The most pressing matter immediately after the war was survival and one of the first things that had to be addressed was catching up on essential maintenance of the fabric of the mill and the plant. Even if a firm had capital it was hampered by rationing of resources under the licensing system. I don’t know how long this lasted but it would be well into the 1950s. (I have copies of returns made to the Cotton Control Board as late as September 1951) However, as things slowly improved the restrictions eased. In 1947 the decision was made to replace the existing 110v DC dynamo with an alternator which would make mains standard power, 440v three phase and 250, single phase AC. This meant that the whole of the mill had to be re-wired, new light fittings installed and of course needed a new alternator. The work was done by the Nelson Engineering Co. Ltd. and we know the figure for installing 432 new 200 watt 16” reflector Benjamin Saaflux units with anti-vibratory flanges was £1,984, add to this the cost of re-wiring the rest of the mill and installing the alternator and we are looking at a considerable investment. I know that around this time the Whitehead governor on the engine was replaced by a more accurate Lumb governor and speed regulator, I suspect this was to cope with demands of the alternator which was more sensitive to speed fluctuations than the old Direct Current machine.

The shovel stokers on the boiler were replaced with Proctor coking stokers which were more efficient. An automatic damper regulator was installed in the boiler house and changes made to the condensate return system to achieve better efficiency. A Frank Pearn feed pump was put in to supplement the Weir steam pump and injector as the main boiler-feeding pumps early in 1945 at a cost of £150. I have the original license granted by the Board of Trade Machinery Licence Division authorising the purchase I July 1944, the order couldn’t be placed until this had been approved and the Board of Trade had to be informed when the machinery had been delivered and installed. In August 1947 H P Cooper’s of Burnley were brought in to fit eight new driving ropes on the engine in preparation for the increased load on the drive cause by the new alternator. They were back in 1950 to install a new drive rope on the counter drive from the weaving shed into the top end of the warehouse which drove the cloth-plaiting machines. This rope failed in 1977 and I didn’t replace it, I fitted electric motors to the cloth plaiting machines.

I have one last piece of paper for you. It soon became apparent after the war that the diehard manufacturer’s dreams of a swift return to ‘the good old days’ were illusory. Working conditions had to be improved to attract and keep good workers. One of the initiatives adopted by James Nutter and Sons was to provide canteen facilities. They converted a room off the weaving shed to a kitchen and started offering a service but I don’t know how it was done. I suspect that they employed their own staff and ran it themselves. The catering industry was aware of the opportunity and I have a letter from Hayden’s Caterers Ltd whose Manchester branch was at Willow House, Marple near Stockport in which they enquire whether they could have the contract. What tickled me was the sample menu they enclosed. All the prices are of course in old pence (240 pennies to the pound sterling) Soup with roll, 2d. Joint, entrée or fish with two veg., 9d. Sweet with custard, 3d. Tea, 1d. Coffee, 2d. Cakes 2d. Sandwiches, cheese, meat or fish paste, 2d. Ham, tongue, pressed beef etc., 3d. Buttered toast, 1 1/2d. Buttered tea cake, 2d. 1d. extra per meal where waitress service is provided. I love evidence like this, these were innocent times, imagine what the menu would have to be today…

Our bottom line for this period is that Bancroft survived the war better than most. Apart from the restrictions under the wartime regulations we get the impression that it was very much business as usual. The pressure of wartime production had allowed more progress to be made with the introduction of the More Looms System with less unrest than during the 1930s and there was to be no more opposition. The Victorian design and good engineering of the plant and machinery had served the nation well, it did all that was asked of it without breakdown. Things could have been much worse. Now for the long struggle to survive the peace.

The disused canteen equipment was in place until demolition in 1979.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

INTERLUDE: A LIST OF WORKPEOPLE AT BANCROFT IN 1941

I will admit that unless one of your forbears is mentioned in this list it could be worth skipping. However, I suspect that many old Barlickers will get some pleasure out of this evidence that their ancestors existed and were recorded.

‘A list of workpeople employed by James Nutter and Sons Limited at Bancroft Shed, Barnoldswick on December 5th 1941.’

Name address occupation age

W E Nutter The Knoll Man. Director 59
F W Mattocks Gisburn Road Salesman
Vernon Nutter 25 Park Road Manager 42
W Bracewell 44 Lwr Rook St Clerk 17
Fred Midgeley 1 Calf Hall Rd Engineer
Harry Brown 2 Mosley St Fireman 27
W W Wilson 12 Rainhall Rd Motor driver
R Sharples 28 Park Ave Cloth looker 37
J T Isherwood 18 Back Park St Cloth looker 41
George Nutter 61 Park Rd Cloth looker 61
Jn. Greenhalgh 12 Skipton Rd Cloth looker
Walter Naylor 3 Robert St Cloth looker 33
Thomas Roper 12 Frank Street Warehouseman 54
Harold Parker 12 North Parade Warehouseman 46
Cyrus Eccleston 45 Wellington St Night watchman
Fred Naylor 3 Robert St Night watchman 58
John Burrell 42 Rosemont Ave Tape labourer 30
Joe Calverly Taylor Avenue Taper
Rennie Shepherd 28 Victoria Rd Taper 50
W K Whiteoak 146 Gisburn Rd Machine operator 30
Wm Eccleston 15 Beech Grove Machine operator 55
Robert Walker 16 Cavendish St Loomer 46
D Brennand 10 Taylor St Loomer 67
Lawrence Kieron 4 Hollins Rd Loomer charge hand 39
Wm Tomlinson 48 Manchester RdHead overlooker 38
J Carr 24 Beech Street Overlooker
L Steele 2 Essie Terrace Overlooker
Les Beaumont 26 Cobden St Overlooker 51
Richard Lord 17 Sackville St Overlooker 46
Edward Burke 9 Powell St Overlooker 49
Eddie Green 53 Harrison St Overlooker
George Stretch 11 Alice St Weaver 51
Alfred Geldard 7 Bethel St Weaver 57
Sam Ottie 35 York St Weaver 62
Bracewell Stanley15 James St Weaver 61
Cyril Brown 5 Pleasant View Weaver 38
Clifford Hartley 33 Gisburn St Weaver 41
J W Wellock 23 Bruce St Weaver 63
Arthur Stockdale 6 Park Road Weaver 48
Edward Pickup 8 Essie Terrace Weaver 44
Rennie Brown 34 Park Avenue Weaver
Tom Harrison 37 Lwr East Ave Weaver 40
Holbury Metcalfe19 Clarence St Weaver 62
Sam Wiseman 9 Montrose Terr. Weaver 42
Fred Pearson 27 Beech St Weaver 42
Wm Coppinge 58 M/c Road Weaver 51
Thos Lawson 62 Uppr York St Weaver 41
Clarence Downs 50 Park St Weaver 54
Robert Beckett 6 Gillians Weaver 39
Joe Croasdale 2 Lane Bottoms Weaver 62
Fred Brown Willow Bk M/cRdWeaver 36
Herbert Brown 4 Rook Street Weaver 52
Alan Preston 8 Cavendish St Weaver 32
Wilfred Preston 19 Earl St Weaver 38
Luther Duxbury 11 Park Street Weaver 45
Craven Waddington21 Park Rd Weaver 48
Edward Fishwick 74 York St Weaver 53
John Tattersall 47 Park Rd Weaver 50
Harry Cawdrey 10 Cavendish St Weaver 49
Thos Horrocks 13 Colne Road Weaver 62
J W Dent 17 Turner Street Weaver 36
Sid Myers 21 East Hill St Weaver 30
Wm Shuttleworth4 Rook Street Weaver 54
Jn C Taylor 7 Clifford Street Weaver 58
Walter Smalley Lynfield Tubber Weaver 61
Fred Exley Lynfield Tubber Weaver 49
Rennie Geldard 18 Butts Weaver 44
Harry Moody 55 Lwr Park St Weaver 48
Alfred Thomas 5 Lane Bottom Weaver 41
Joe Bentley 59 Cobden Street Weaver 50
Ron Tattersall 47 Park Rd Weaver 18
Les Wilson 19 Colne Road Weaver 16
Thomas Green 9 Town Head Weaver
Chas Watson 71 Lwr Rook St Weaver 70
Jim Unsworth 50 Esp Lane Weaver
Henry Preston 8 Cavendish St Weaver 67
James Waygood 6a Hartley St Weaver 68
Thos Taylor 4 Park Street Weaver 65
John Wilson 17 James Street Weaver 66
H Edmondson 60 Skipton Road Weaver 69
Fred Barrett Standridge Farm Weaver 66
Jim Robinson 3 Ribblesdale Ter.Weaver 68
Joe Brooksbank 23 Essex St Weaver 65
Wm. Metcalfe Burdock Hill Weaver 72
Rich. Pollard 3 Bank Hse. Flats Weaver 69
K Harwood Twister 16
L Golding 40 Park Road Weaver 33
Henry Brown 28 Valley Road Weaver 54
James Monk 152 M/c Road Loomer

Alice Stell 11 Sackville St Weaver 61
Mrs Schofield 4 Fountain Street Weaver
J Hodgkinson 20 Bracewell St Beamer
M Davy 42 Lwr Rook St Winder
M MacDonald 53 Esp Lane Weaver 60
Mary Horrocks 13 Colne Road Weaver 62
Rose Mason 69 Sunset View Weaver 64
Anne MacDonald Winder
Ethel Hartley Weaver 41
Ivy Robinson Weaver 44
Margaret Stretch Weaver 50
Ellen Pate Weaver 19
Evelyn Conboy
Winnie Bennett Weaver 29
Alice Hartley Weaver 42
Hilda Pickering Weaver
Annie Metcalfe Weaver 35
Florrie Geldard Weaver 52
Jessie Pearson Weaver 39
Clarice Moore Weaver 38
Marion Chadwick Weaver 38
Nellie Duxbury Weaver
Bessie Tomlinson Weaver 32
Mary Calverly Weaver 49
Eva Smith Weaver 31
Eliz. Boothman Weaver 36
Ellen Waddington Weaver 29
Ruby Swire Weaver
Mary Sharples Weaver 30
Kath Kiernan Weaver
Dorothy Cawdrey Weaver 48
Hilda Brown Weaver
Gertrude Coppinge Weaver 49
Minnie Wiseman Weaver 55
Nellie Clarke Weaver
Millie Broughton Weaver 29
Alice Sharples Weaver 50
Mary Ashley Weaver 54
Maud Chadwick Weaver 52
Violet Bailey Weaver 45
Edith Edmondson Weaver 43
Nellie Demaine Weaver 42
Doris Brennand Weaver 25
Mary Duckworth Weaver 46
Mabel Pearson Weaver 46
Mona Platt Weaver 30
Gladys Aldersley Weaver 24
Evelyn Ratcliffe Weaver 42
Mary Stockdale Weaver 49
Elsie Pearson Weaver 37
Chrissie Eccleston Weaver 21
Kate Lord Weaver 42
Anne Cope Weaver 49
May Robinson Weaver 53
Marion Turner Weaver 25
Louise Green Weaver 35
Phyllis Parkinson Weaver 31
Edith Brown Weaver 33
Eliza Mason Weaver 55
Chrissie Plumbley Weaver 43
Winnie Parkinson Weaver 26
Mabel Lodge Weaver 52
Ruth Hacking Weaver 41
Lilly Taylor Weaver 52
Jessie Smith Weaver 32
Eva Pateman Weaver 39
Gladys Newbould Weaver 50
Mary Dacre Weaver 50
Alice Cryer Weaver 39
Gwen Moore Weaver 40
Laura Demaine Weaver
Emily Gorton Weaver 39
Polly Fishwick Weaver 53
Eliza Daly Weaver 45
Eliza Chatwood Weaver 28
Elsie Pickering Weaver 47
Doris Stockdale Weaver 40
Daisy Kenyon Weaver
Jane Nutter Weaver 49
Hilda Bailey Weaver 33
Mary Monks Weaver 47
Ethel Holden Weaver 42
Elsie Mason Weaver 34
Annie Burke Weaver 47
Mary O’Neill Weaver 19
Nellie Moore Weaver
Olive Moore Weaver 38
Anne Astin Weaver 39
Maud Reid Weaver 48
Gertrude Gleeson Weaver 42
Elsie Hargreaves Weaver 40
Jennie Waterworth Weaver 24
Winnie Bentley Weaver 46
Annie Exley Weaver 43
Edith Lawson Weaver 38
Emily Waterworth Weaver 35
Evelyn Lee Weaver 34
Eliz. Hayes Weaver
Florence Crerar Weaver 54
Polly Hodson Weaver 33
Mary Downs Weaver 28
Annie Bell Weaver 37
Jane Craddock Weaver 32
Annie Stephens Weaver 24
Nora Titherington Weaver 21
Eva Nutter Weaver 31
Gladys Dobson Weaver 34
Sarah Edmondson Weaver 53
Mary Holt Weaver
Alice Demaine Weaver 32
Sarah Bracewell Weaver 26
Muriel Daly Winder
Lillian Whiteoak Winder
Alice Martin Weaver 40
Elsie Windle Weaver 26
Dorothy Hesketh Winder
Mrs Moss Winder
L Palmer Winder
H Clarke Winder
May Brooks Weaver 40
Ethel Ashworth Weaver 51
Annie Green Weaver 40
Ivy Pickup Weaver 33
Olga Hartley Weaver 19
Ida Brennand Weaver 20
Joan Cope Weaver 19
Doris King Weaver 20
Jean Holmes Weaver 18
Hilda Green Weaver 18
Nora Heyes Weaver 19
Madge Edmondson Weaver 16
Olive Reid Weaver 16
Eliz. Demaine Weaver 17
Greta Holmes Weaver 15
Enid Holden Weaver 16
Nellie Hudson Weaver 24

Lovely stuff! I quite enjoyed transcribing that list because all the time my mind was working trying to guess which families they are related to in the Barlick of today. I hope that some of you found your grandparents. Did you notice that the male employees came first and that they didn’t bother to record the addresses of the women? Surely this can’t be sex discrimination…
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

CHAPTER 17: SURVIVING THE PEACE

Once the initial transition had been made to near-peacetime conditions Bancroft settled into the collar in what was to turn out to be a deadly competition with every other mill in Lancashire. If this sounds extreme, believe me it wasn’t. In the days of full order books the competing firms in a certain range of cloths could afford to act in a reasonably civilised way towards each other. In the face of ever-growing foreign competition it became a fight to survive.

One thing I noted from the old documents I retrieved from Bancroft during the demolition is that in 1941 there are still three beaming frames in the mill, two of them in use. The number of winders has gone up which means that more rewound weft is being produced. The significance of this is that one of the conditions the manufacturers had to satisfy when going onto More Looms was that they had to give the weavers bigger shuttle packages and rewound weft. The first gave then longer between shuttle changes and the second improved the quality of the weft and cut down on weft breakage in the loom. Eventually the beaming frames had to go, I’m not sure when but I am pretty sure that this wasn’t because the process was uneconomic but because the space on the preparation floor was needed for the winding machines necessary to produce enough rewound weft as more looms were put in bigger sets on the new system.

Sometime during the 1950s the looms in the Bancroft weaving shed were respaced to allow more efficient running. They were re-arranged so that they were in ten sets with alleys in between running from the front of the shed to the back. This meant that each weaver on a ten set and her tackler had access to the looms from each end and that all her looms were next to each other cutting down on the distance the weaver had to walk. The Shirley Institute was established in 1920 by the British Cotton Industry Research Association at Didsbury near Manchester as a research centre dedicated to cotton production technologies. Amongst other subjects it researched the ergonomics of weaving and the results made so much sense that the manufacturers applied the advice in their sheds.

In the early years of the industry the plan was simply to get as many looms in the shed as was humanly possible. I have seen holes cut into the brickwork in the walls of sheds to allow an extra couple of inches so that another loom could be squeezed in. In some old sheds you’ll see an arc worn in the brickwork, this is where the nut on the end of the shuttle box wore the wall away as the loom was running. This was bad enough for the weavers but even worse for the tacklers who were so short of room they had to carry warps in on their shoulders. Ernie Roberts who tackled in many sheds in Barlick told me that the advent of More Looms meant bigger weaver’s beams and the occupational disease of the overlooker became getting ruptured by awkward lifting of heavy warps. Re-spacing made it possible for warps to be wheeled in on trucks and it was a great improvement. At the same time some of the 36” looms were replaced by 56” looms as there was a demand for wider cloth. This reduced the number of looms in the shed but made for more efficient working. Remember that re-spacing also meant re-positioning the driving drums on the shafting. Most mills used eight sets as standard but Wilfred must have thought ten sets were better. He did make one concession, on the side of the mill nearest the lineshaft there was a row of eight sets from the front to the back of the shed. When I was there in the 1970s this was known as ‘The Pensioner’s Side’ and the oldest weavers in the shed wove there. Jim Pollard once told me that an average weaver could get as much production out of an eight set as they could on a ten and on the whole he would rather have seen all the weavers on eight sets because they weren’t as good overall as the old weavers.

Newton Pickles once told me about a peculiar problem they had at Bancroft after re-spacing. They had some special cloths in some of the looms and as it happened these were given to the best weavers who wove at the far side of the shed away from the lineshaft. Some weavers preferred this as they didn’t like the noise the bevel gears made when the shed was running. The problem was a pattern in the weave that baffled them for a while until it was realised that what was causing it was a harmonic fluctuation in the speed the loom was running at. They got Newton’s father, Johnny Pickles to come and look at the engine because they assumed that was where the fault lay. Johnny was a brilliant engineer and he told them it was nothing to do with the engine, the problem was torque building up in the 250 feet long cross shaft that drove the looms which was releasing itself and then building up again and this was what was causing the speed variation. The management weren’t totally convinced so Johnny said he’d prove it. At the time Brown and Pickles were making donkey engines like the one Bancroft had in the taping department to run the tapes when the engine was stopped. He brought a small flywheel from one of these engines up and keyed it onto the end of the cross-shaft which drove a set of looms weaving the problem cloth. This damped out the variation in the shaft and the cloth wove perfectly. The management were impressed but didn’t like the idea of having a flywheel mounted on the end of each shaft so they moved the problem warps over to the lineshaft side of the mill where there was no torque effect. Newton said that Johnny was convinced that all cross-shafts should have a flywheel on the end and that it would pay for itself in more evenly woven cloth.

By the mid 1950s the whole of the shed at Bancroft was working on the More Looms System. The practice of paying wages only when a piece had been delivered into the warehouse was stopped, the weavers were paid a fall back wage plus an amount based on the number of picks they had woven in a week. A pick is one double traverse of the loom by the shuttle and this was measured by the Orme Patent Pick Clock, one of which was mounted on every loom. The weaving manager read the pick clocks once a week and this reading governed the piece-rate the weavers received. At the same time a long-hated power was taken off the tacklers. Up to this time part of the tackler’s wage depended on how much cloth his set had produced so it was in his interest to drive his weavers. Many of them did just this and if they couldn’t get production made the weavers life a misery so that he or she would leave and make room for a better worker. This was made even worse because the tacklers delivered their weaver’s wages to the loom in small open topped tins. They knew exactly what each weaver was getting and the system ensured that the tackler confronted the weaver every week. After pick clocks came into use the wage was paid by the weaver collecting it from the office in a sealed envelope. Ernie told me about instances he had witnessed pre-war where tacklers discussed weavers and plotted how to get rid of them, this all finished because weavers were so thin on the ground.

The Orme Patent Pick clock. The weaver's friend!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another change brought about partly by the war but also by the general inter-war decline in the industry was that the tramp weavers disappeared. There used to be a pool of itinerant weavers, most of them excellent workers but averse to working in the same place all the time, they liked to keep moving. This was why we had the model lodging houses down the Butts, they had to sleep somewhere. Between the wars every mill in Barlick had a group of tramp weavers waiting in the warehouse at setting-on time in the morning. Any weaver who wasn’t at the looms ready for the engine starting was replaced by a tramp weaver and lost a days pay. After the war the shortage of weavers ensured that time-keeping became more relaxed.

In the five years after the war much had changed and the industry looked almost healthy despite what the manufacturers saw as retrograde steps. This was an illusion, things were slowly declining overall but in the better connected firms with reasonable orders this wasn’t immediately evident. Curiously enough one of the major factors that damaged the industry was the efficiency of the contract system overseen by the Royal Exchange in Manchester. Profit margins had always been low because of the security of this system when orders were plentiful. Once orders started to drop there was no room to improve the margins and another factor kicked in that wasn’t fully appreciated at the time. We need to look at the economics of the weaving shed and the effects of running under capacity… I can hear you groaning, deep joy, we are going to delve into economics. Bear with me, it will make the rest of the story easier to understand.
TEA BREAK: CONDITIONS IN THE MILL

Fred was a mine of information on the inner workings of the mill and if I were to start to tell you all about that we would be here for a long time. He explained the role of tramp weavers and the practice of standing for work in the warehouse waiting to take the place of any weaver who didn’t turn up on time. He described the pressures put on the weavers by making them account for all their waste in the warehouse. I questioned him particularly about the pressure the tacklers could put on the weavers in their set if they were not performing well enough, remember that the tackler’s wage in those days depended on how well their weavers wove. All this evidence helps to build up a picture of how the management indirectly enforced discipline on the weavers to the point where it could be described as repression. Round about the 1930s this ethos started to change as the workers became more militant but traces of it hung on until the Second World War.

Fred also gave me evidence that supported my belief that a ‘black list’ was operated in the trade. This is incredibly hard to prove definitively but too many people have averred that it happened for any historian to ignore it. Talking about the strikes and picketing against the perceived evils of the ‘More Looms’ system he said “But that were a funny thing weren’t it. You went out on strike, you didn't know who were going to finish. You knew so many were going to have to finish, they didn't know who, and probably some of them what come out on strike and happen stood about a bit picketing, well them were marked, they didn't get back at all.” I asked Fred directly whether a black list was operated and he was absolutely definite that it did. In other words, the manufacturers were using the excuse of militancy to weed out workers to ease the necessity for running more looms. This was always covert, I will never be able to prove it as a fact but I think the evidence points us towards this conclusion.

We talked about the practice of ‘time-cribbing’, starting the engine early and stopping late to get a few more minutes work out of the weavers. Fred told me about the informal network that the manufacturers ran to make sure the factory inspector didn’t catch them contravening the regulations. “And so they'd gain all them minutes, which add up over a period. I can well remember this. They’d come round would the tacklers and they'd say ‘Inspector’s coming round’. No young person or woman had to be in that mill and as soon as the engine stopped they'd to get out and they hadn't even to come in until the engine started, and that minute and half while the engine were getting its speed up they'd to oil their spindles and then they'd to be ready. They hadn't to oil their spindles while the engine were running according to the inspector. Well that inspector had probably been at Colne, they’d ring that through from Colne to Earby or Barnoldswick and they'd have somebody on Earby station. Station master ‘ud probably know this inspector and if he got on the train to Barlick he’d ring 'em up at Barlick and he’d also ring ‘em up at Earby. “He’s gone to Barlick!” He hadn't much chance of catching anybody hadn't the inspector 'cause it were all worked out, everybody know before he landed.”

I know this sounds like something out of an Ealing comedy but given the close-knit relationships inside the trade and the local community I am absolutely sure that Fred is correct. Not only that, but as late as 1977 when I was running Bancroft engine there was a relationship between management and the inspectors and we always had prior warning of an inspection. I am not suggesting that this relationship was corrupt, indeed, I doubt if it could be. The process was that the inspectors knew that they had the power to cause the manufacturers a lot of trouble if they wanted to but in the end this would do the local economy no good at all in a period of bad trade. Shutting a mill down temporarily because of a minor infraction of the regulations wouldn’t help either the managers or the workers and in the end, the rules were there to protect the employees. This relationship didn’t always hold good, particularly in the early industry when there was a national campaign to improve the lot of the workers, particularly children, in industry. In Leonard Horner’s report to Parliament as Chief Factory Inspector for the half year ending in April 1850 he said that when he visited Mr Bracewell’s works [Old Shed, Earby] he was tipped off that under-age workers were hiding in the privies. He took a policeman and found ‘thirteen young children, male and female, packed so close together as they could lie on each other’. Colne magistrates fined Christopher Bracewell £136, this would be about £4,500 in today’s money.

Fred told me two more tales that illustrate the attitudes in those days. “Saturday morning, the engine stopped, we'll say at half past ten and you were dashing out, you’d get a black look, you were supposed to stop behind and clean your boxes a bit and titivate things up. And tacklers round here, they'd be same in Barlick and Earby, they never had to go home while twelve o'clock, unless there were sommat extraordinary. They’d to stop in and go round fastening spindles and putting buffers on, doing odd jobs, any warps out, gait warps. There were one instance a fella what comes in the White Lion now [1978], he’d be about seventy four, and he told a tale about there were a medal competition one night when football were on and there were three on ‘em weaving. As soon as the engine started slackening they stopped all their looms and run out. When they got to the door there were one of the bosses there. Now lads he says you’re coming out faster than what you go in, he says get back to your looms and come out at the same speed as what you go in. This chap said we daren’t do anything but walk back in and then walk out quietly. And then another time I'd been to the toilet and I were just fastening me pants up and he came did this boss. He says “Hasta been smoking?” “No, I don’t smoke.” (Sniffing sound) So he says, “It's twist smoke is that, somebody's been smoking twist.” I thought it's a damn good job I hadn't been smoking or he might have sent me home for the day or sommat like that.”

Life is always a balance between the good and the bad. It’s no use viewing the past through rose-tinted glasses, we have to report honestly, these things happened within living memory. In some ways at least, we have improved attitudes towards the workers but I often think that traces of the old ways still persist. I’ll leave it up to you to make up your own minds.

The Model lodging house in Butts in about 1920.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”