FORGOTTEN CORNERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by PanBiker » 14 Feb 2018, 10:25

Nolic mentioning the siren testing has jogged another memory from me. The fire station siren I mentioned was tested at 10.30 and had its associated turn out response drill every Saturday morning. I reckon they got a double whammy of system testing. There was the siren on top of the hose and ladder practice tower (now a mobile phone hedgehog) and I seem to remember one on the gasworks building that became my Uncle Bobs workshop opposite the end of Wellhouse Road. I assume they would be linked, were there any others, (probably at the top of town) if anywhere?
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Feb 2018, 04:41

In June 2006 I was talking to Walt Fisher about piped wireless in Barlick. He said Stanworth and Shorrocks started it from their shop at 1 Rainhall Road in the 1930a. (The telephone number was 80!) The main receiver and hub of the service was in a yard on the right on York Street just off Rainhall Road. Later they moved to Albert Road opposite the Majestic. During the war they relayed the air raid warning siren on the gasworks building via the relay network.

The buildings on York Street are still there.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 15 Feb 2018, 10:05

Thanks for that confirmation Stanley. I thought they would be linked but had never thought of the relay. You can still see the flat mount for the siren on the gable ridge of the gasworks building. Any idea if there were any other sites?
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Feb 2018, 04:53

I've never heard any mention Ian. The ARP did rent a room off the CHSC for their office in the war. I think it was at Butts Mill but I'd have to trawl the Minutes to confirm that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Feb 2018, 05:15

Something Jack Platt told me when I was interviewing him for the LTP on his work in the quarries (See 'Rock Solid' in Stanley's View) was that as the quarries on Salterforth drag were developed, large waste heaps built up lower down the hill on the north side and when Kelbrook New Road and the improvements at Skipton on the Keighley Road at Sandbeds were being built much of the offal was carted away to use in the road foundations. Over the road at Park Close Quarry most of the offal was used in the brickworks lower down which was part of the operation so there are no obvious waste heaps.

Park Close in 1948.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”