FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

You're probably right China. I think it was the render as well. I suspect there is something nasty under the render on the extension.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's forgotten corner is a personal one. Hey Farm in about 1965 when the barn was still standing (it was demolished for road widening shortly afterwards). I suppose it is so full of memories for me that I see it differently than most viewers but it's part of a lost world now. I know change is inevitable but it's not always an improvement! One notable thing for me is the caravan in the orchard where my mate Ted Waite lived for many years. Totally illegal and I never charged him any money, even his leccy was free but it was a fine investment. My daughters used it as a Wendy House and spent many happy hours in there with Ted. Today this would be seen as very suspicious behaviour but then it was totally innocent and if you ask Margaret and Susan today about Ted their eyes mist over. They loved him and he was an asset to their growing up as free spirits. Vera and I never had the slightest qualms about him and the relationship with the kids and as it turned out we were right!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I have offered this up as a forgotten corner mainly because I know nothing about it. Most Barlickers will be familiar with the 'Old Chapel House' on Walmsgate. But adjacent and as an extension to this building is No 18 which carries above the window a blank piece of stonework.
P3170047AC.jpg
This stone has the hallmark of being a date stone or a building name. The question is does anyone know what was written on this stone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P. have a look at 'History of the Baptists in Barnoldswick' by Lewis. I transcribed it and it's on the site.... You might get a clue from it.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The chapel in 1979. The sign betrays its use when it was a furniture warehouse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like all these old images, this pic of Walmsgate in about 1900 repays careful study. What grabs me is the fence blocking the pavement outside the shops on the right and the narrow entrance into Calf Hall Lane because the houses above, before John Street, are still standing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is Proctor's shop in Walmsgate, you can see it on the left in the previous picture. We know for certain that this was in July 1932 because it is the clearing of the aftermath of the Barlick Flood.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still in Walmsgate, here's a lovely pic of Hacking's backstone bakery in about 1890 before the Sunday School was built. One thing that I noted was the oils stain on the gable end. This is a clear sign that embedded in the wall was a cast iron bearing pedestal that was supporting the end of a line of shafting. This means that the bakery was modern and had shafting driven by a gas engine. This was common at the time in small businesses, some used the engines for electricity generation but many smaller businesses like chip shops used small gas engines for driving things like potato peelers and chipping machines. See Newton Pickles evidence in the LTP of repairing such engines.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"What grabs me is the fence blocking the pavement outside the shops on the right "

I thought at first it was to protect the workman up the ladder, but there does not seem to be one at the far side , and it looks too substantial, and rather permanent. The white painted step next to it also seems to make it look like a fixture. Not much danger stepping into the road, but inconvenient. Would the shopkeeper have owned the pavement? Are there other examples around the period?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 19 Mar 2017, 12:30 "What grabs me is the fence blocking the pavement outside the shops on the right "
Ken Ranson has kindly sent a photo explaining that the barriers were to protect some basement steps.
WALMESGATE.jpg
He also mentioned that a house in Salterforth owned its pavement and put up some pillars with 'Keep Off' notices on them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that P.

Can't help thinking of Charles Laughton in 'Hobson's Choice' :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to Ken. I haven't seen that pic before and indeed it explains the barrier. I have noted a ventilator at ground level for the cellar but no evidence of steps. They must have been done away with to enable the pavement to be continuous, it's very narrow there still. When looking at Walmsgate always recognise that the road surface was much lower before 1815 when the open ford where Gillians Beck crossed the road was culverted using funds from the sale of what was the Village Green. (now the site of the Old Commercial block on Church Street) The evidence for the original level is in the small basement area accessed by steps on the left hand corner house where the original level is clear.

Here's the small basement area with the original paving still in place. Incidentally this location is mentioned in 'Old Barlick' by Atkinson as the venue for the snuff taker's club.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The collapsed sewer in Church Street reminds me of my long held contention that in so many ways we are still living off the achievements of the Victorian boom in installing services. Many of these have not been touched since, major sewers that are almost 150 years old in some cases. The same picture is repeated all over the country. How long do we think we can get away with this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mitchell Terrace on Manchester Road. Have you ever noticed what is strange about this terrace and the houses above on Manchester Road (Barnoldswick Lane as was)? There is no pavement and on the opposite side it becomes vestigial just below Castle View. William Atkinson comments on this in 'Old Barlick' and blames Skipton Rural District Council for the omission but what intrigues me is why this was never rectified. One would think the road is wide enough to allow one. I think it's something to do with the fact that it is such an ancient route but have no idea what the reason is.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Manchester Road in 1979 from Castle View downwards. Note the way the pavement is elevated on the left. This must be a hangover from the days when it was a minor route, Barnoldswick Lane.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 22 Mar 2017, 04:05

Mitchell Terrace on Manchester Road. Have you ever noticed what is strange about this terrace and the houses above on Manchester Road (Barnoldswick Lane as was)? There is no pavement and on the opposite side it becomes vestigial just below Castle View. William Atkinson comments on this in 'Old Barlick' and blames Skipton Rural District Council for the omission but what intrigues me is why this was never rectified. One would think the road is wide enough to allow one. I think it's something to do with the fact that it is such an ancient route but have no idea what the reason is.....
Its easy enough to find other walking routes - including climbing the stairs that form the public footpath crossing Manchester Road then along the back ginnels and back down past The Greyhound - That was the cats morning and evening walk around, although they did use the tops of the walls too !
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Haven’t looked on this part of the site for a while but it remains my favourite thread. I note the photo a few posts ago of Rainhall Road in 1979. What at that time was the property to the left of what I reckon would have been Margaret Sharples’? It was the young lad who made jewellery until a short while ago, but in 1979?

As my mother lives on King Street and is of advancing years (!) I always remind her that if she opened the door and fell over, she’d role into the butchers or if she got a fair roll on she’d finish at the pie shop or The Barlick Tap. There are as you say, advantages to being so close to everything…..

‘’Things in Barlick like the Brutalist 1950s post office corner…’’

Quite. As Matthew Engel noted in his otherwise very positive review of Barlick in Engel’s England this is a contender for the worst building in the land.

Richard Broughton
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bruff wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 15:04 What at that time was the property to the left of what I reckon would have been Margaret Sharples’? It was the young lad who made jewellery until a short while ago, but in 1979?
It was an opticians before James Bontoff jeweller, they were there quite a long time.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I rather like the one time post office (not the Barclays? Bank though), it has simple , functional lines. The box shaped one in Okehampton, Devon was similar but larger, with its proud EIIR logo on the wall. A bit of national municipality , if that makes sense.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, this pic was 1986, James Bontoft was in there then. Before him it was a dress shop for a couple of years and before that it was the people who modernised the shop front. I have no clear memory but have an idea that when I lived in King Street (No. 12, cost £4000) they were financial consultants. The only way to get further back would be in the trade directories....
( I tried to look back to find the picture you mentioned but of course the upgrade of the site has destroyed the images!)

Was this it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Yes it was that photo. For some reason the smallish windows and brickwork threw me and I’d no idea what the shop was at the time. The mention of it being an opticians jogged my memory: I got I think my second pair of spectacles from there.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:extrawink:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 24 Mar 2017, 04:51 Richard, this pic was 1986, James Bontoft was in there then.
I didn't realise there had been an earlier James Bontoft Optician, are/were they related do you know?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It was a different optician Kev but I cant remember the name. Bontofts used to be at the end of Albert Road where the Army and Navy was, now the linen shop before they moved up where they are now. Colin Holdsworth then Rayners now Vision Express is on Albert Road opposite the Majestic. Sally seems to think they were an independent but they had a branch at Skipton as well, name won't come.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Ah right, the current James Bontoft would have been a slip of a lad in 1986 :grin:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Local History Topics”