FORGOTTEN CORNERS

plaques
Donor

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by plaques »

Stanley, do you mean the Gannow Tunnel Burnley?
P7270084AC.jpg
The Cog Lane, End.
P7290015AC.jpg
The Tunnel St, End.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No P, never seen it. I mean the Barrowford end of the Foulridge Mile Tunnel....

Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Staying with Foulridge, I think this view is about 1910. The railway in full swing. Click for a larger image. It would be interesting to compare this with a current pic from the same location. Anybody interested in doing one? Many changes.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Bruff wrote:Crow Foot Row has I think the ‘crow foot’ of the builder on one of the stones. And am I right in thinking this builder was a Broughton, or have I dreamed this? Probably not related of course - loads of Broughtons popped out of Barlick.
Just tidying up the stones for Crow Foot Row. Is this what you mean Bruff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't remember having seen that. It looks like a mason's mark. There was a lot going on there at the time, Hey Farm deeds start in the last decade of the 18th C, probably with the rebuild of an older timber hall.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hill Top Farm in 2003. One give away for rebuilds of some houses is the symmetrical pattern of the door and windows on the front of the house. A Vernacular Architectural Historian will describe this as 'Polite Architecture'. In the case of Hill Top if you look at the back of the building and the exposed foundations at the lower end of the barn you will see all the evidence you need for the fact that this is a much earlier building than the circa 1800 modifications. Around 1800 there was a big demand for hand woven cloth and the weavers were doing well. I'm not sure what the driver was at Hill Top but the weaving trade certainly put a lot of money into the local economy. This was of course the imperative behind the textile inventions which crowded in at the time and revolutionised the industry leading to the decline of the hand loom weavers. It's no coincidence that this was the same time that saw the improvements at Hey Farm and the building of Crow Row. Hey was slightly earlier and this explains why the new front is slightly more old fashioned with (originally) mullion windows.

In a later alteration and despite the building having Listed Status the owner took the mullions out of the living portion on the left. The remaining mullions on the East end show what vandalism this was. Always a matter of regret to me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A corner of the front room at Hey Farm in 1976 with a window and doorway that escaped the vandalism. The doorway in particular is far older than the circa 1800 date of the deeds. I suspect that this wall was part of an original timber hall, almost certainly 16th century. All this was covered up when I bought the farm in 1959 but over the years we opened all the old features. Lovely house.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That wall is over eight feet thick and has a much older fireplace on the other side with beehive ovens. I think that this was the original chimney pile in a much older house and almost certainly a timber hall at one time. John Clayton's work suggests that this is a very old site and I have no doubt in my mind that he's right.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Plaques: Bit late replying but yes, that's what I was meaning
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, I looked up Crow Row in my index and found a note that on 18/10/2007 Nigel Broughton said on the site that Crow Row is named after the builder's mark of William Broughton which was a crow's foot.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps, after our success in dragging together the story of Crow Row we could have a look at this one. The area is the quarry, now a residential caravan park, at the junction of Lister Well Road and Tubber Hill. The name has always intrigued me. Any suggestions?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No suggestions, but a similar name in Earby. Batty House farm had a field called Susan Gamestripes.
Could there be a link to Gamel?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't thought of that possibility Wendy. EPNS records a 'Game Scar' at Oakworth. There's an answer to this somewhere!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well, Gamel did hold land in Oakworth. :smile:
"On folio 301v of the Domesday Book of 1086 Oakworth is called "Acurde".[1] It was taxed on c120 acres (c50 hectares) of arable ploughland shared by the Vikings Vilts and Gamel Bern. Vilts also owned Newsholme and Utley; and Gamel Bern was of the family of noblemen that held the most land in Northern England. However later, on folio 327r, the Domesday Book states of Oakworth lands that "Gamal Bern had them; Gilbert Tison has them" for in the Harrying of the North all lands were taken from Anglo-Scandinavians and given to Norman Lords."
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a good clue Wendy. 'Gillians' is another name that has always intrigued me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The abiding mystery for me is the name Elfwynetrop mentioned by the monk Serlo in the Kirkstall papers. (I've posted these as a separate topic because I can't find them on the site) There was another very similar name at Gisburn which over the years metamorphosed to 'Ellenthorpe'. I have a suspicion it was in the Coates area as there is no mention of any settlement that can be attributed there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gus's picture of Long Ing and Barnsey before the canal bridge was replaced. Apart from the value of the image because it shows so much which has now vanished there is the question of the name 'Long Ing'. The place-name component 'ing' has two possible roots. One is a small stream, the other denotes 'people of' as in Reading or Spalding. I don't know why but I have always associated the term with 'lane' or 'track'. If that was true, Long Ing would make sense because the route it is on is very ancient, being the principal way out of Barlick towards Gill, Skipton and the Aire gap. I don't know whether I will ever see a resolution of this but it still intrigues me. The joys of local history!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I used to deliver eggs to one of the cottages when I was a lad.

Wasn't there a murder during the construction of the new bridge?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember the milk stand on the corner of what was the old route of Long Ing towards Gill and the road through the new housing.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Stanley wrote: The place-name component 'ing' has two possible roots. One is a small stream, the other denotes 'people of' as in Reading or Spalding. I don't know why but I have always associated the term with 'lane' or 'track'

At the last meeting of the Barlick History Society we were informed by Mr Peter Watson of Bacup that 'ing' at the end of a place name referred to 'field' whereas 'ing' in the middle of a place name referred to 'relatives/family of a person'
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've seen it used in that context Pete, of a field. If I remember rightly there was a district called 'Ing' in Keighley. Perhaps there are multiple meanings and that's what makes it so elusive. Place names are open to so many different interpretations.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ingrow Stanley, the valley that runs from Howarth crossroads down into Keighley.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right Ian, that's what was in my mind.
I wrote an article about Old Coates Mill yesterday for the BET. It continues to draw my attention because it is so intimately connected with a lot of different threads in the town's industrial history, not least the involvement of Billycock Bracewell of Newfield Edge and his efforts to get complete control of the town by any means possible.

The mill in around 1890, it was demolished completely shortly afterwards. Billycock was dead by then so we can't put it down to him but he certainly used the boiler in his mining operations in Ingleton after closure in 1860. When you think about it, it's very unusual at that time to demolish a useful building which could be re-used. Just one of the unexplained mysteries about it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you read and believe William Atkinson (I do!) you'll find that he reports that white lightning was distilled in the gas house of the derelict mill. There is a consistent history of illegal distilling in the Coates area including successful prosecutions. I can remember it in used Lanry bottles in the 1950s......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:..he certainly used the boiler in his mining operations in Ingleton after closure in 1860....
Was that coal mining? I seem to recall reading about lots of local opencast coal pits supplying coal to the Yorkshire Dales in the 1800s. They were sited alongside the track of the local railway and lasted until about 1875 when the Settle & Carlisle line opened and coal could be brought in from father afield.

There's a story about a lady who lived in a cottage alongside that line. Each day she lined up bottles on top of the wall at the end of her garden. The driver and fireman of passing trains couldn't resist trying to hit them with a well-aimed piece of co, so they got some fun and she got extra coal for her fire!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Local History Topics”