FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

That's right, 'Harry's Own' transport. I have an idea it was Roy Laycock who bankrolled him. Harry was a driver for Wild Brothers before he started on his own account. Roy approached me with a similar proposition but I was too insecure to take him on, I stuck with being an employee. They had brainwashed me well!
I have an idea that there was a connection in some way to Stockbeck haulage and possibly Gotts and it involved a lot of hauling for Rolls Royce between Barlick and a facility they had in the Glasgow area but as you say it's a lot of years since.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 09:50 There are still a few of the original 1930's finger posts around. One at the junction of Beverley Road with Gisburn Road at Blacko.

Blacko Signpost.jpg
Trying not to post (!!) too many of them didnt want scrappies nicking them, were they after WW2 (were all the prewar fingerboards removed to prevent invasion forces knowing where they were going ?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Responding to Wendy's post about doctors and local surgeries reminds me that there was a time when all doctors had their own surgeries, often in the same house they lived in. Arthur Morrison in Water Street, Dr Dick at the Crossings, I'm sure you can all fill in your old doctors.
I have just spent almost half an hour looking for a pic I know I have of Arthur and Kim Morrison's surgery in Water Street. It will pop up when least expected!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 09:50 There are still a few of the original 1930's finger posts around. One at the junction of Beverley Road with Gisburn Road at Blacko.
We have one here too
20210131_145149.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's a first hand account of travel in war conditions from Eddie Spencer who used to live in my house.
"The week leading up to November 20th 1940 had been bad in Coventry, we had several twelve hour air raids and the city was getting knocked to bits. I was working for the Rover Company as a service fitter and since the beginning of the war we had been working flat out reconditioning Armstrong Siddely Cheetah aero engines which were used in Oxford trainers and Anson coastal defence aircraft. It was pretty obvious to everyone that the Germans knew exactly where the Rover works was and it was only a matter of time before it was completely flattened and essential war production ceased.
The government had foreseen this danger and the Ministry of Aircraft Production had scoured the country looking for out of the way places where there were empty factories and a local workforce who were used to factory work and could be re-trained. The Pendle area was perfect, plenty of empty mills and a reliable labour force so the MAP requisitioned some of them. They took Bankfield, Calf Hall and Butts in Barlick, Grove at Earby, Sough mill and Waterloo at Cltheroe. Overnight these were all designated Rover factories and turned over to war production. Of course, it wasn’t quite as simple as that!
The first we knew about it was when six of us, Bill Tilsley, Jimmy Johnson, Sid Shaw, Cyril Galby, Les Banks and myself were told to get ourselves up to a place called Barnoldswick and start working. A bus was laid on to take us but Les and I went up in his Singer Bantam car and after many adventures in the dark with no maps, no signposts, no street lighting and a slipping clutch we arrived outside Bankfield Shed in the early hours of the morning. Mrs King, who lived in a house at the end of the lane down to the shed, gave me and Les a pot of tea and a bacon butty at seven o’clock out of the kindness of her heart and this was our welcome to Barlick."

I wonder how the present generation reared on street lights on motorways and satnavs would cope?
[If you want more of Eddie look in Stanley's View for 'When the Vikings came to Barlick'.]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's forgotten corner is very personal. Many years ago I was in my workshop at Hey Farm and Janet came in with a request, she wanted a house making for her Dougall. (You might remember Dougall as the obstreperous star of Magic Roundabout.) I had some odds and sods of timber handy and made her a house. I also gave her a two ounce tobacco tin full of sugar lumps because, as everyone knows, that's what Dougall lives on. Almost 50 years later Dougall and his house are alive and well and living in Australia with one of Janet's children.
I have always said that Dougall's house is the only thing I have ever made in my life that was perfect, it couldn't be improved in any way. We all need a Dougall House every now and then!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remembered something yesterday and went looking for it. Here's what I wrote later about it.
"This is probably as good a place as any for another car overturning story. When I first started for Richard my first week was solid Scotland trips and two runs to Seascale in Cumbria. At that time the road to Seascale hadn’t been modernised at all and was terrible as far as carrying cattle was concerned. On my second trip up there John Henry had a day off and came with me for trip out. We were going along a particularly winding and undulating piece of road when we were overtaken by a car with four people in it. They vanished over a blind summit and we heard a crash. When we crested the rise we saw the car on it’s side and a bloke climbing out of a window. I pulled up and we went to see if we could help. There was petrol all over the road and the bloke who had got out first was in the act of lighting a cigarette, to steady his nerves no doubt. I grabbed it off him and pointed out that this wasn’t necessarily the best idea he had ever had. When we looked at the car there was one person still in it in the back seat, she was a fat lady and if she’d been a sheep you’d say she was rigged, she couldn’t move. It was obvious we couldn’t get her out through the door, we would never have lifted her so I did my clog trick and kicked the windscreen in, we dragged her out to the accompaniment of the bloke who had been driving screaming at us and saying he’d have me prosecuted for criminal damage! A police car happened to come by and they took charge of the situation. I told them what I had done and the bobby said “You did exactly the right thing. Get back in your vehicle and b****r off, we’ll look after this lot!” So John and I went on our way. I couldn’t help reflecting that some people aren’t really fit to push a barrow never mind drive a car. John Henry thought it was all great fun, he had an exciting day out!"
There was another interesting thing about Seascale.

"The staff at Lanark were good. There was a bloke on the bank who drew the cattle and he was always known as ‘Chow’, I think it was because he used to chew tobacco. He kept me up to speed with all the gossip and surprised me one day when he told me that one of the biggest dealers at the market, a bloke from Seascale to whom we used to sell cattle occasionally, wasn’t allowed to take cattle off the bank without written authorisation from one of the directors. He was evidently into the market for so much that he had to pay so much of his debt off each week or he wasn’t allowed to load, it was a shock to realise that some of these big men in the ring were actually sailing very close to the wind. I never had any bother, I could draw my own cattle if I wanted, nobody was worried about Drinkalls not paying and it was a nice feeling.
Richard told me a story about a dealer who went to Annan market for over fifty years, one day the auctioneers stopped the sale and made him a presentation of a gold watch. Shortly afterwards he died and they had two minutes silence for him. A few weeks later it was announced that he died owing the auction many thousands of pounds! As my father used to say, the worst thing in the world to weigh up is another man’s finances"

Forgotten corners now but fascinating stuff at the time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've never regretted the number of pics I did in days long gone. Here's one I tripped over this morning in the archive. This was my office for many years, warm, interesting and always something going on! I used to get visitors, my friends and my children as well. Here's a bit from me memoirs....
"I can’t go into a full list of all the visitors to my kingdom at this time but must mention one more who whilst not of any great importance to my future was always a delight. This was John Wilfred Pickard a retired local GP. He would pop in at all sorts of odd times and we always had wonderfully esoteric and informative conversations. He used to work at the VD clinic in Burnley and I had long conversations with him about terrible infections. He always took my pulse as soon as he came in and told me every time that my heart was beating at exactly the same speed as the engine, 67rpm! We developed a theory that the reason the engine house was such a relaxing place to be was because the regular rhythm of the engine modified your heart beat and steadied it. There were many wonderful stories about Dr Pickard and I used to ask him if they were true or not. One which he said contained more truth than some of the others concerned a visit he made on the Coates Estate in Barlick to a baby that wouldn’t stop crying. John examined the baby and then turned round to the woman who was looking after it and said “The reason the baby’s crying is because it’s hungry. Is it breast or bottle fed?” The woman told him it was on the breast. John shoved his hand down the front of her blouse, felt her breast and said “You have no milk Madam!” The woman said that it would be a miracle if she had, she was the baby’s Aunt and was only looking after it! John gave me his old stethoscope which I used to use on the engine, it was marvellous what you could hear if you let the engine talk to you."

Not forgotten actually, it was too interesting. John Pickard setting me right in the engine house.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The gallery of ladies on the wall was the portrait that was used each year for the Shiloh Calendar. They were in the office and were being thrown out but I rescued them.
Years later when I was working with Edmund Gartside (LINK] he told me that they used to have a board meeting to decide on which image to use that year. He said they were some of the longest and most hotly contested meetings they ever had!
I told him about the ladies on the wall in the engine house and he was pleased. I don't know what happened to them after we closed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just a bunch of young people you might think, but this was something more. It's my three daughters and Vera at a meeting of Kelbrook Young Farmer's Club in Elslack School. This was in 1977. Founded in 1944 it closed down in 2004 after 60 years of serving local young people well.

They competed regularly at local shows, this is Kelbrook Show in 1977. Winston Horsfield is leaning on the heifer and keeping an eye on me. These are all forgotten corners now and that's to be regretted. It was a good time and a fine organisation.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There can't be too many Winston Horsfields in the area, would he be about 65 now?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Could be, brother of Maurice Horsfield and both sons of Harry Horsfield at Sunnybank Farm. Maurice took Higher Sandiford Farm when he married Katherine and as far as I know Winston stayed at Sunnybank.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Yup, same Winston. He frequents the Hare and Hounds, at least he did when they were open. I bought half a lamb from him last year.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Give him my best regards when you see him Kev. Two good lads!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Harry Horsfield with the flat hat and his son Maurice at Kelbrook Show in 1977. Harry was a hard man but a good one. In his youth farming was in a poor way and his father made him go into the mill and he told me in later years that he hated it. Maurice and Winston escaped that one! A forgotten corner now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gisburn Auction dairy ring in 1981. The beast in the ring is a Friesian heifer, freshly calved and with a bag full of milk. In 1981 there was still a good market for these cattle but by then most were locally reared, the Scottish trade that I knew so well had declined.

This was the dairy ring at Lanark in 1977. These men in the corner are the major dealers who bought hundreds of thousand pounds worth of cattle each week in this sale and sent them all over the country. These were big men in their sphere and nobody crossed them, they had the power to give you a good or a bad day.
F&M and the decline of the dairy farmer retailer in the big towns was one of the big factors in killing the trade in the late 1970s. By the time I had left and moved into the mill the great tides of cattle were decreasing fast and my old boss Richard tells me that those days are long gone. Pity. The trade bred characters and it was a very interesting part of my life.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report about the final closure of Newton Rigg college in Cumbria. It looks as though agricultural training in Cumbria is now a forgotten corner. Note that this closure is not because of any deficiencies in numbers or attainments, it's simply because the college can't turn a profit. How can this be allowed to happen? Isn't the survival of an asset like this and the local jobs it generates worth a small subsidy?
Agricultural training is of no interest to the Westminster Village, neither is farming. We have seen this in years gone by and had to take extraordinary measures to rectify the matter. When will they learn?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This old pic of Burdock Hill on Salterforth Lane dates from about 1890 I think. Apart from its age, what has always interested me is the toothing stones on the gable end. The builder evidently had thoughts of a further build and had left these stone in place to tie in with the next phase. You can find examples all over Barlick in property that was built around the turn of the century in 1900. The Great War in 1914 was the end of the major developments in Barlick so many of these toothed gable ends survived.

Here's another on Rainhall Road.
There's another reason why they intrigue me. I came across the phrase in Machiavelli's 'The Prince'; "Every change leaves a toothing stone for the next" before I knew what a toothing stone was and so these pics always remind me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The top of Newtown and the end of King Street in about 1890. I had this pic for many years before I realised where it was. The reason for that was that the neg was reversed on the first version. It was only when I reversed it that I realised where it was. Notice that this is before the setts were laid in about 1900, it is still a dry macadam street. This would be at the time when Billy Brooks lived on the street and you can find his description of it in the LTP.

Same scene in 2012.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The old stables in Butts seen from Commercial Street in 1982. Not long afterwards they were all demolished. This gives a good idea of how much they had deteriorated.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The best way to illustrate today's forgotten corner is to give you a link to Daniel's story. (LINK)
Pig killing was a big day and was common all over the country. We killed a pig at Harrod's Farm when I was there as a pupil in 1954. I can still remember us all lying about in a torpor induced by eating large quantities of spare rib. That wasn't salted or preserved and so had to be eaten or given away. I know younger people get fed up of crumblies telling them things like this but there was nothing like spare rib and salted ham and bacon from a mature pig which could sometimes reach 700lbs weight (35 Score).
We didn't kill a pig at Hey Farm but used to get spare rib back from the butcher we sold the pigs to, Jack Stansfield from Hill Top just over the road. Funny thing is I could eat pig meat from my own pigs but drew the line at eating beef from my own cattle. I never really understood that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is the only image I can find that illustrates today's forgotten corner.
We are all familiar with the large tanks that modern farmers use for spreading slurry on the fields and some can remember manure spreaders. Crumblies like me can remember carting and spreading muck by hand. There is another element of manure handling that is long forgotten. Some farms had a drain that ran from the cow sheds out to a tank. Solid waste was dealt with by collecting it and putting it in the midden, any liquid ran down the pipe and filled the tank. From the tank a cast iron pipe ran to a point in the field on a slope where a cart could be backed under the end of the pipe and a valve opened to fill the cart. From there the cart spread the 'saur' as it was called on the fields. I always thought that saur = sour.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry about the poor quality but this is the only image I have ever found of the engine at Dalton Mills, Keighley. At the time it was installed it was said to be the largest mill engine in the world. This picture was taken after a smash which damaged the engine so badly it was quicker to scrap it and replace it with two Pollitt and Wigzell engines than repair it. All very interesting but why is it a forgotten corner and what's the link with Barlick.
This engine was built by William Bracewell's foundry at Burnley. After Billycock's death it was sold and became Burnley Ironworks. In the mid 19th century they built some very large engines and this was the biggest of all.

The same foundry that cast this base for a rain water tank which used to be part of what is now the Park Road surgery. We forget that Bracewell had so many different interests and started his commercial empire in Burnley before he homed in on Barlick.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 04:38 The same foundry that cast this base for a rain water tank which used to be part of what is now the Park Road surgery. We forget that Bracewell had so many different interests and started his commercial empire in Burnley before he homed in on Barlick.
The one thing that always surprises me is that Bracewells Iron foundry in Burnley was only a relative small unit. The area of the map shown below is part of what is called now 'The Weavers Triangle' with boundaries of Trafalgar St ( the bottom straight road) and Sandy Gate ( the curling road from the left and over the top of the plan). The canal is shown weaving its way through the centre). I think Bracewell's work was in the centre of this mass of buildings. I don't know who owned the Iron works to the corner of Trafalgar St and Sandy gate. I'm not an expert on this area so I could be a little bit out in my assumptions.
Trafalgar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's something Geoff Shackleton found Ken. Not sure if the sale took place then.
BURNLEY IRONWORKS SALE
BA 24/05/1873

Trafalgar Engineering Works, Burnley
M & T Watson beg to announce their instructions from William Bracewell esquire, Engineer and Millwright, Burnley who has decided to dispose of that part of his extensive engineering works situated in Trafalgar Street, Burnley which premises were thoroughly fitted up but a few years ago regardless of expense as an engineering and millwrights works but have not recently been worked. To sell by auction in the later part of June the whole of the valuable engineers and millwrights plant, tools and machinery comprising generally planning, boring, drilling, slotting, screwing, copper hole cutting, shaping and other machinery nearly the whole of which is quite new and by most eminent makers. Also several steam engines and a good many other effects.
Catalogues are available on request from Mr. Bracewells Burnley Ironworks situated in King Street and at the offices of the auctioneers. The tools etc. will be on view at the Trafalgar Street Works and a McNaughted beam engine at Butts Mill, Barnoldswick to holders of catalogues only between the hours of 9am and 6pm on Monday and Tuesday 23 and 24th June 1873.

BA 1/07/1873

Sale of valuable engineering iron foundry and millwrights premises in Burnley, to be sold at the Cross Keys Inn, Burnley on 30th July 1873:
Lot 1: All those extensive engineering and iron foundry premises situated in Trafalgar Street, called the Trafalgar Street Engineering Works consisting of a turning and planing room 144ft by 45ft, turning and fitting room 144ft by 45ft, millwrights turning room 114ft 6ins by 42ft 6ins, the foundry 110ft by 55ft 6ins, smithy 42ft 6ins by 49ft 6ins, grinding and glazing room 42ft 6ins by29ft 6ins, dressing off room 81ft by 42ft 6ins, pattern room 165ft by 26ft, pattern room 142ft by 29ft, engine house, boiler house, stone built chimney 40 yards high, stone blast chimney for cupolas, chimney for smiths hearths, stores, office, yards etc., 1x 4ton cart weighing machine, and 1 x 10ton wagon weighing machine. Premises are quite modern very substantially built and in excellent state of repair, being not more than 60 yards from Manchester Road railway station and when the premises were used by Messrs. Bracewell and Griffiths they had a railway siding there for their own use. Also situate within 100 yards of the Leeds and Liverpool canal from which they are supplied with water.
Lot 2: All that capital steam engine now fixed in the engine house.
Lot 3: All that capital two flued boiler 20ft x 7ft of 25 hp now fixed in the boiler house, with shafting, gas, steam and water pipes and two large wrought iron cisterns.
Lot 4: ? for some reason I didn't record this?
Lot 5: All that plot of building land situated on the south side of Trafalgar Street and the west side of Sackville Street, Burnley containing 534 square yards.
Further particulars and to view plans from William Bracewell, Burnley Ironworks, King Street, Burnley or the auctioneers at 53 Manchester Road, Burnley.

(GEOFF SHACKLETON. 19 January 2004)

Here's another piece of evidence for the Dalton Mills engine.
BRACEWELL’S DALTON MILLS ENGINE.
Extracted from ‘Textile Manufacturers in Keighley’ by John Hodgson. First published in 1879. Pages 31-35.

J J CRAVEN AND COMPANY. Dalton Mills, Keighley.

The works of this firm are the largest in the town, embracing three distinct establishments, viz.: Walk Mill, Low Mill and Dalton Mill; they employ more than 2,000 workpeople, and doubtless the employment provided by this firm has contributed more to the prosperity and extension of this, town than any other cause, especially when we consider that they are circulating nearly as much money in wages, as all the aristocracy in the West Riding of Yorkshire. We subjoin a description of the powerful engine at the Dalton works.

The new engine house stands in the yard opposite the entrance gates, and is the height of three stories, rising to about 65ft. from the foundation, or 46ft. from the crank floor, which is reached by a flight of steps from the yard. The thickness of the walls which have to carry an enormous weight averages about 3ft.; the width of the building is 31ft. and the length 73ft. Besides the first floor there are engine packing stages or platforms, approached by a staircase at he back of the building, and which also communicates with the beam chamber. The roof of the latter is crossed by wrought iron lifting beams, 2ft. deep and 18in. across, each end of the house has an arched window extending up to the beam chamber, the floor of which is laid with flags upon iron binders. The engines are of the beam class, and compounded upon M’cNaught’s principle of high and low pressure cylinders, and are of 500 nominal horse power, and are said to be the largest pair of stationary engines in the United Kingdom, and possibly the most powerful pair of engines in the world, the only pair at all near them being in the Philadelphia Exhibition. The framework of the engines which stands on a bed of ashlar about 25ft. thick, laid in huge blocks, many of which weigh several tons, consists of the transom beams which are supported by two strong ornamental columns, supporting the entablature on which rests the centres of the two enormous working beams. The centre entablature is formed of one casting and is 4ft. 6in. wide, and 3ft. 6in. deep, and weighs over 24 tons. The spring beams which are connected with the transom beams, and which form the openings in which the beams work, and also carry the radius pedestals belonging to the parallel motions, and the cast iron floor joists are 24in. deep, raised in the middle to 30 inches. The low pressure or condensing cylinders are 60in. diameter, and have a stroke of 9ft. The side valves are worked by strong working shafts that receive their motion from eccentrics fixed to the crank shaft; the cylinders are mounted on cast iron beds, and are covered with non-conducting composition, so as to prevent condensation through radiation of heat, in an ornamental iron casting, instead of the usual felt and wood lagging. The covers for the tops are highly polished, and also fitted with castings to prevent radiation, the piston rods are of steel, and are 8in. diameter, and the sockets connecting the stems with the parallel motions are of aspherical form, very substantial and polished. The total weight of each of the two condensing cylinders, with the steam chest’s side pipes, bottom cover casting and piston, is about 30 tons. The parallel motions for working the pistons of the condensing cylinders are also bright. The front links are 4ft. 6in. between the centres of the brass steps or bushes, and are fitted with cast iron backers and screw gibs and cotters. The back links for working the air pumps are similarly fitted, as are also the parallel rods which connect the eye-shaft of the air pump end of the motion with the piston; the crosshead centre and radius rods in the working joints are also fitted in the same substantial manner. The high pressure cylinders are 48in. diameter, the stroke of the pistons being 4ft. 6in. These are constructed in the same style of workmanship as the other two cylinders, and with their appurtenances of bottom covers, pistons, &c., weigh each about 22 tons. The parallel motions for the pistons are also highly finished and substantially fitted like those for the low pressure cylinders. The two ponderous working beams to which the parallel motions are connected measure 34ft. 6in. between the centres of the end bosses, and 37ft. 6in. over all. They measure 6ft. 6in. in depth at the centre and weigh about 24 tons each and are splendid castings, each in one piece. The main centres of the beams are wrought iron, 16in. diameter in the middle, 23in. long and 11½ in. diameter in the journals. The pedestals in which these journals work are very strong, and fitted with brass steps, each secured to the spring beams and entablature by four holding down bolts, 3½ in. diameter, which pass through both beams and entablature. There are also four similar bolts for securing the pedestal capitals. The connecting rods are of wrought iron and are coupled to the beams by full ends and to the crank by a solid eye; each of the rods with its necessary fittings weighs about 8 tons. The cranks are of cast iron and weigh about 4½ tons each. The crank shaft is of wrought iron 25in. diameter in the middle, with journals 36in. long and nearly 19 in. in diameter; its weight is nearly 9 tons. The pedestals for the crank shaft to work in are very substantially formed, and weigh, complete with steps and cap, about 5 tons each. They are secured to the ashlar foundation by four bolts about 3½ in. diameter to each pedestal, with six 3½ in. bolts for holding the caps. The fly-wheel is a stupendous one. It is 28½ ft. diameter, the iron being turned up and polished after the wheel had been placed in its present position. It is formed in ten segments 24in. broad and 18in. thick, secured to each other by strong dowels and ten round tapered arms by bolts. The arms are turned to fit and are secured to a large centre boss. The segment of cog-wheel is 24ft. 3 in. diameter, with a centre boss and arms similar to those of the fly-wheel. The rim of the cog-wheel is also in ten segments, having teeth l9 in. broad and 6½ in. pitch; the inner face of the bosses for the two wheels are turned to fit each other and fixed on the shafts so as to appear as one casting; the arms of the fly-wheel are constructed with brackets on the side, and the toothed segments with a flange, both of which have been faced so as to fit and are secured by bolts, so that both wheels form one complete mass when in motion; the total weight of the fly and cog-wheel combined is 100 tons. The bed-plates on which rest the crank pedestals, the high pressure cylinder fixtures for carrying the rocking shaft pedestals and the columns, are connected by bolts so as to form one plate, and are very strong castings. The governor gearing is so arranged near the entrance of the engine house, as to allow the stand to be fixed behind the low pressure cylinders and near the throttle valve, and all the valves required are so arranged as to enable the attendant to work them almost from one point. The designs of the standard which carries the governor balls and the arms, is exceedingly neat and effective. The feed pumps, air pumps and condensers are very massive, and in every respect in proportion with the size of the condensing cylinder. The buckets and delivering valves have brass rings, facings and lids. The packing stages or floors extend round all the cylinders and round two side walls, and are reached as we have said, from the cylinder floor by an ornamental flight of cast iron stairs with a similar flight from the packing floor to the beam floor, all the stairs and floors are guarded by pallisading formed of fluted pillars and round polished rods. The whole of the floors are intended to be covered with iron plates. These two splendid engines have been constructed for Messrs. Craven at a cost of over £12,000, by Mr. William Bracewell, engineer, Burnley, the designs being those of his manager, Mr. Pickup, under whose supervision the engines have been made and erected.
[Info from Geoff Shackleton. 20/06/2004. There is a drawing of the engine in Burnley Library. The engine was scrapped after a gearing failure caused sufficient damage to the engine that it was decided to install new plant.   Pollit and Wigzell got the order due to the speed with which they could supply new engines.  Pollits supplied two separate tandem-compound engines.  The photo could have been taken when the gearing failed on the Bracewell engine.  Incidentally, Bracewell also supplied the beam engines which originally powered Dalton Mills which predated those claimed to be the largest in the world.]
Transcribed by Stanley Challenger Graham, 14 June 2004.

The man Pickup named as Bracewell's manager was a brilliant engineer and his name crops up later when the firm had become Burnley Ironworks. He was still running the firm and did so for many years. He must have been a good man because BI had a very good name under his management. Lots of mentions of him in the Calf Hall Shed Company's minute books.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”