FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

In the days before supermarkets selling milk, the local milk retailers were the final link in the supply chain between the farmer and the home. Some farmers retailed their own milk but all sold pasteurised bottle milk from West Marton Dairies. At one time the local depot was here on Valley Road but then as this became too small, the Dairy took some space in the farm buildings at the bottom of Vicarage Road. The site was called Bare Banks Laithe and the dairy installed a walk in fridge for use in summer and paved the floor with cast iron grids set in concrete which gave the best surface for dragging stacks of metal crates across when wet. This was in use by the late 1960s and I can remember delivering Barlick Bottles there. We used to slide the crates down a metal slide made of heavy angle iron which hooked on the side of the wagon flat.
There is still a bottle fridge in the old gas works yard serving the retailers but I don't know who supplies that these days. Certainly not West Marton, another forgotten corner.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder how many people, when they see this building at Greenberfield, realise that it is the valve house for a pipeline from Winterburn reservoir which was completed in 1891. The pipe is about 12 miles long and was put in to improve the water supply to the summit level which was needed because of the amount of traffic on the canal.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think this image of Foulridge will be around 1910. Well worth a bit of study I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Must be a Sunday, there's nothing coming out of the mill chimneys. Apart from 2 people at the very top of the picture Station Road is deserted, could they all be at church or could it be Wakes week?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think many postcard companies did their pics on Sundays Kev. It makes you wonder how many of the snappers were freelance or amateurs. Exposures were so slow that anyone moving on the street could be a blur.

Here's an example. Cottage on the brow at Elslack. The ghost image must have popped out to see what was going on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I did this pic in 1980. I like looking back..... The Co-op is recently closed and hasn't yet become the Strategy Bar. The barn at the end of the Monk House row hasn't been converted to a cottage and the lady's outfitters next door will still be open. Peter Tatham and Tom Philips are dropping the Butts Mill stack and Crossley House looks new, I seem to remember it was opened in 1976.

I did this pic in 1982. YEB still have their showroom, remember paying your bills there? Jack Savage is still running his greengrocer's and wet fish shop. Taylforth's have yet to arrive in the end two shops, still a lady's outfitters and an antique shop. Probably wishful thinking but that lady on the right in the white top looks awfully like Phyliss Watson!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 21 Feb 2021, 04:45 Crossley House looks new, I seem to remember it was opened in 1976.
That would be about right. 1974/75 we were doing up our first house on York Street. I used reclaimed stone from the Bethesda Chapel to build a double curved range in the front room and replace the 1930's fireplace in the back with a pointed up stone one with a flagged hearth and wooden mantle. My Uncle Bob had apoplexy when he saw the tortoiseshell 1930's job in the skip, I had to take it out in bit's as well! Could have made a bob or two with that. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Angus posted this image. The corner of Calf hall road and Colne road, from Walmsgate, looking to Westgate. all the properties in the forefront have since been demolished. The buildings centre, are on Cavendish street, and Queen street . the facing shop Is A. Shaw's, and the one on the left is Dawsons.
This is a very unusual view and needs a bit of thought to weigh it up. The road immediately to the right with the setts is Calf Hall Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It took me a while yesterday to work out just what I was looking at in this pic so here's the 25" OS that shows the buildings as they are in the picture. So many of them were demolished in the 1950s when the Council was 'tidying the area up by demolishing a lot of old properties. You are stood in Walmsgate looking to the south west.
Ernie Roberts talks about these shops in his LTP interviews, he lived at John Street just round the corner up Westgate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Not being a native of Barlick one thing has always puzzled me. The town square on Albert Rd still displays the Co-op name and date stone.

'
Barlick coop.jpg
but all the old pictures I've seen show the view of the main door with the side pediment inscription illegible.

Barlick coop A1.jpg
. A similar Co-op building in Hammerton St, Burnley has a motive that could be similar to the one in Barlick.

'
Burnley Co-op.jpg
. Does anyone know exactly the placement of the Barlick Co-op sign?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have an idea that the sign now in the Town square was half way down the frontage. Note that it's dated 1907, the building was built in two stages, the second around 1920 if memory serves.The one on the curved corner could be the 1920 version. Didn't we do this one not long ago?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

coop.JPG
Here do you mean?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Yes Kev. As it turns out Ken Ranson has dug out a picture that shows it in more detail. The image is one I've never seen before with more detail showing what was under the window boardings. Also there are houses where we now see shops. All very interesting. Thanks Ken for the picture.

Barlick Coop B.jpg
Later looking at it it would look like the Co-op building has been extended to the size on the first picture.
Kev can you expand the inscription so it can be read. At first sight it looks different to the one on the square.
Last edited by plaques on 24 Feb 2021, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That pic is a revelation to me as well. I have never seen Albert Road at that stage. If you read Billy Brooks' evidence in the LTP he lived in a cottage on Newtown in 1900 and talked about it being fields all the way over to the station. All this on the pic is new except for the ironmonger's shop on the corner. Wonderful.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Feb 2021, 07:20 Must be a Sunday, there's nothing coming out of the mill chimneys. Apart from 2 people at the very top of the picture Station Road is deserted, could they all be at church or could it be Wakes week?
You’d have to think it’s a winter Sunday, as quite a few house chimneys have smoke coming out of them.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 24 Feb 2021, 08:32 Kev can you expand the inscription so it can be read. At first sight it looks different to the one on the square.
coop.JPG
Not as clear as it could been, the image will have been compressed to add to the site. I'll see if I can dig out the one I have sored (won't be for a few days as I'm working).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The coursing of the stonework of the inscription is such that it could easily be laid out horizontally. I think that's your answer in the end.
My forgotten corner today is Post War Credits. (HERE'S a typical account.) The British equivalent of the US War Bond they were a compulsory savings levy that was to be repaid after the war with interest. Inflation during the war destroyed their value and when they were eventually paid back they were worth less in the real world than they were on paper. I can remember my dad saying that something was the biggest con trick since Post War Credits and I think most people would have agreed with him.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had another look at the stones on the Town Square and they are cut in such a way that they can only be laid the way they are in the square. The joints wouldn't allow using two lines of lettering.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 05:13 I had another look at the stones on the Town Square and they are cut in such a way that they can only be laid the way they are in the square. The joints wouldn't allow using two lines of lettering.
Its becoming a bit of an obsession with me. I've tried with a couple of cheapo image programmes but not really getting anywhere except I get the impression that the stones don't look like they came from the top pediment. If the co-op was demolished in 1989? someone may have pictures of what was under the boards above the windows. All hands to the pumps as they say.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Demolition of Barlick Co-op. doesn't help with the date stones etc.
'
Barlick co-op facec.jpg
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I'll ask Angus, he has lots of pictures of the Coop when it was still in use.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks Ian, Angus may be able to solve the problem. It just goes to show how much you take things for granted and when they are gone ... They've gone.

My amatuerish attempt to get something from nothing requires a lot of imagination and more than its fare share of wishful thinking.

The date 1907 in the extreme top.

BARNOLDSWICK CO-OPERATIVE. on the next line down.

SOCIETY LIMITED on the third line.
coop kev ken 2.jpg
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20210226_220048.jpg
Hopefully this one is clearer, definitely the same stones.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a look through the archive but no joy. Sorry Ken but I did try.

Here's an image from 1982 done from the opposite angle. Shows there was no ornamentation on the Frank Street side.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Last night I was going to thank Kev for the superb image when the internet went down. So its a big thanks to Kev and Ken Ranson for solving the problem. From Kev's image the inscription at the pediment level reads.

AD
BARNOLDSWICK CO-OPERATIVE
SOCIETY LIMITED.

The ground level display in the square is a shortened version reading

BARNOLDSWICK CO-OP 1907

Another mystery solved, Thanks again Kev and Ken.

Return to “Local History Topics”