FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

We don't do public processions like we used to do. These Whit walks are hard to place but the consensus was that it was in Barlick.

This is definitely Barlick, outside the station with Mary Agnes my future mother in law on parade and of course, Vera my late wife.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have discussed the top photo before and it does not look like Barlick to me. I cant think of any terraced streets that are on a direct bus route, No 29 I reckon. Looks more like Nelson to me, Barkerhouse or Hallam Road area maybe, it could also be Westmorland Street in Skipton.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 09:24 We have discussed the top photo before and it does not look like Barlick to me. I cant think of any terraced streets that are on a direct bus route, No 29 I reckon. Looks more like Nelson to me, Barkerhouse or Hallam Road area maybe, it could also be Westmorland Street in Skipton.
Isn't that Stage 29 rather than route 29? Don't remember there being bus stops labelled like that in Nelson.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just commenting on the general view, cant think of anywhere in Barlick like that. It is similar to the areas in other towns mentioned though. I think the same photo has been on one the local facebook groups and discussed there as well. Same result, no one thought it was Barlick.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The second one is and the point still stands......

So was this. Never heard any mention of 'The Bakery Cafe' in Barnoldswick. The Bakery was in Cooperative Street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Croft House on Station Road. The first reference I have to it is from Billy Brooks' evidence in the LTP. He said that William Brooks lived there and I have an idea he was a stockbroker. He was Robinson Brooks' brother and had a major interest in the new Long Ing Shed. The next occupant I know of is Mr Atkinson the dentist who pulled a tooth for me without anaesthetic in 1962. Betty Corner (nee Greenwood) told me that prior to being there Atkinson had an office in the first house on Ribblesdale Terrace. Later after Atkinson the accountants Windle and Bowker took it over and are there still.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's Crumpets in 1982.

About ten years later.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The annexe to Gisburn Road CP school is about to become a forgotten corner. I remember it first in the 1960s as the school meals kitchen serving Barlick schools and Marshall's from Bradley picking up the food waste to feed their pigs. Then it became the nursery for the school and it seems this is about to be transferred to the main school buildings. I don't know what it's future will be.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

When I was at Rainhall Road school in the 50's and early 60's we had our meals prepared there and brought to school mid morning in big aluminium containers. The food was not good and it was usually lukewarm at best.
A total contrast at Ermysted's where the food was cooked and served in a Nissan hut type building, The food was excellent and always fresh from the oven. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They used the same insulated containers during the war Comrade!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 04:43 Image

The annexe to Gisburn Road CP school is about to become a forgotten corner. I remember it first in the 1960s as the school meals kitchen serving Barlick schools and Marshall's from Bradley picking up the food waste to feed their pigs. Then it became the nursery for the school and it seems this is about to be transferred to the main school buildings. I don't know what it's future will be.....
I suspect a very small housing development.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 15:47 I suspect a very small housing development.
More likely a very big development of very small housing. :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right Tiz, there's a big site adjoining on the side of the beck on what used to be the old Corn Mill Dam which is full of old garages...... It will be valuable land now with frontage on to the main road. Here's the 1892 map. The old kitchen is on the end of the dam at the roadside.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Surgery in Park Road in 1983. The cast iron frame on the right was for the rain water tank, the source of drinking water before 1900. Harold Duxbury once told me that almost all the older houses in Park Road had pumps in the kitchen and small wells underneath. We are so used to turning the tap on and getting good water we forget what it was like when we had to provide our own. I've lived in a house that depended on a well under the floor and can remember what a difference mains water made.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The cast iron frame and tank was a product of William Bracewell's foundry in Burnley so this puts it's date as before 1880. This foundry made engines as well and later became Burnley Ironworks, makers of very good engines. When the surgery was re-modelled it was scrapped and I always regretted the fact that we lost it. It could easily have been incorporated as a structural element of the new wall with its face still visible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is a very old image of what was in its time reputed to be the biggest steam engine in Britain. It was built by Bracewell's Burnley foundry for Dalton Mills at Keighley. This picture is of the engine after the jack wheel on the side of the main flywheel which was the driving gear for the shafting disintegrated and stopped the mill. Bracewell's quoted for a repair but the easiest and quickest way to get back in production was to install two new Pollit horizontal engines. Worth remembering that Billycock wasn't just active in Barlick, his foundry built some very big pumping engines as well for the coal fields.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When engineering in Barlick is mentioned today people marvel at what we are capable of. Very few remember things like this....

Boring and fitting a casting as big as this low pressure cylinder at Wellhouse shop by Brown and Pickles would still be a big job.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't got a pic this morning. I remembered being told by one of my Old Barlickers abut the day we had a submarine in the Cut! It turned out it was a mock-up built over a normal boat and it was going round as support for a fund-raising effort during WW2. It triggered a hilarious conversation on the site about gondolas! So much good stuff lost......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the unfortunate consequences of a long life is that you lose many friends. People are a wasting asset! Here's Newton in Wellhouse shop with his wife Olive in 1977. I had a breakdown on one of my stokers at the mill and of course I called Newton to get me out of the hole. Here he is making a new part on the Wilson lathe at Wellhouse. It was Newton's favourite lathe because it was so accurate and when he retired and the shop was demolished he took it home to Vicarage Road. When he moved out of there into a smaller shed when he married Beryl after Olive's death I bought it off him and used it for many years. It was, as Newton said, a good old lathe. The most accurate on face turning I have ever used. I wish I still had it but it died in a flood after I gave it to my mate John Ingoe at Rochdale Welding where I used it for about five years for refurbishing safety and stop valves. It was old but a good servant!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Looking down Philip Street from its intersection with Ridge Street it's hard to realise that this was once the main route through Barlick, a continuation of Colne Road from the old ford across Gillians Beck to what is now Rainhall Road. Part of the original medieval road pattern.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Crow Nest chimney in 1978 before the venturi was added to the top. Will it survive the redevelopment or do we lose another stack?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think I remember reading when the plans for the new supermarket first came out about 18 months ago now that the stack would remain.
Ian
SAC

Post by SAC »

The chimney is definately staying my Mum asked the developers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! My mate Robert called them 'The Lonely Sentinels of the Industrial Revolution' and put his money where his mouth was, he still owns a bunch of them dotted about the North and looks after them.

I've done my bit but those days are gone!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

When I returned to my car after Jury service in Burnley last week I noticed that there were at least four redundant stacks in view from the car park on Whittham Street.
Ian

Return to “Local History Topics”