FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 10:51
Cathy wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 08:07 love the low hedges, very English
Indeed. What happened to the large Garden shows which were held in various parts of the country not so long ago? I recall Liverpool, Newcastle and and Glasgow had them. The lawns and gardens of this country are possibly unique, and of interest to visitors, and maybe it would help to get the tourists out of London and Cambridge.

Where's the Northern Powerhouse when you need it? :smile:
I went to the Glasgow Garden Festival, it was all about regeneration of urban areas. I remember the queues of traffic waiting to get into the site backing up on the motorway in a very dangerous way!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw David's Volunteers polishing the waste bins, lamp posts and bus shelters the other day.....Not many towns do that! I wonder if he vacuumed Town Square again?

Claire Teale and David cleaning up in 2014.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of the more striking images that came out of John Clayton's analysis of the LIDAR results for the district was this one of the course of the present back at Sough. The old meandering course of the back stands out very clearly and of course this 'improvement' whilst good for Salterforth and Sough is a good example of the unforeseen consequences that can ensue in that the more rapid transit through Sough exacerbated the flooding problems in Earby particularly at Lane Ends.
I was struck also by the fact that the same results for Brogden and Bracewell revealed a density of housing plots and tracks that suggested that in medieval times there was a lot more contiguous settlement out towards Horton in Craven than we previously suspected. This might help to account for the fact that in Domesday Bracewell and Stock were relatively more important than Barlick.
It also signals why the major family in the area, the Tempests chose to settle in Bracewell rather than Barlick.
One thing I have always regretted is that we have no detailed estate maps for Barlick for the simple reason that there were no major estates. The 18th century map of Bracewell when Weddell was about to take over is a gem and depicts a landscape with field systems and crofts that are a typical medieval landscape. Contrast that with Barlick where our field systems (which must have existed) are more a subject of conjecture and analysis of scattered clues. The truth is that Barlick didn't become the major settlement until the 19th century when the rise of the textile industry sucked in population from the surrounding districts and Bracewell out to Horton lost importance and was largely depopulated. Stock Village vanished entirely. The later steam industry completed the transformation and the spread of population and activity to the north faded away until today it is a forgotten corner.
Earby had a similar but less dramatic effect on Lothersdale. I am not an expert on the deep history of Earby but what evidence I have seen flags up migration to Kelbrook particularly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We walk past the eyesore that is the old Trustee Savings Bank every day and it is so familiar that it becomes a forgotten corner and isn't even nice to look at because of the brutalist design, completely out of kilter with the rest of the town. What happens when Barclay's inevitably goes down the same route?
When it does happen will there be the funding to rectify the planning mistake and demolish both of them? I doubt it. We should never allow this to be forgotten.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

None of the buildings in that pic are the least bit attractive! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite! Bloody ugly I reckon and completely out of synch with the rest of the built landscape.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Dirty buildings are eyesores too. I'm not a city girl but cities would look a lot better if the building facades looked cleaner.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My main objection is the design and the materials. Accrington Brick and concrete blocks stand out like sore thumbs in Barlick. When they are disused and boarded up they look even worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The name plate off Brook Shed engine in Earby. Newton and I saw it in Johnson and Johnson's office when we visited in 1977 after the engine had been scrapped.

The mill on New Road Earby in 1979.

Billy Webster the engineer with his engine when it was in its pomp.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I believe we have the nameplate in our Archive Room now. Only the engine shed and chimney remain on New Road.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good! The reason it was at Johnsons was because their manager at the time was manager at Brook Shed when the engine was stopped and he rescued it. He did the right thing and it looks as though he acted responsibly once more.

Sidney Nutter on the left and Jim Pollard on the right with the manager at Johnsons on the evening we visited in 1977. Both Sid and Jim died shortly afterwards.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It struck me, what a good thing it was I took the pics. Now you know the complete history of the nameplate..... :extrawink:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My mind wandered to Gerard Hoffnung yesterday, in himself a forgotten corner. I recalled a story that John Pudney told me about Gerard, he got to know him when he was running Putnam's UK office and they published him. One of the stories was about him ordering reams of blotting paper on the publisher's account and this triggered a memory of names for quantities of paper that I hadn't heard for years. Reams and quires came to mind so I had a furtle. HERE is a fascinating Wikipedia entry on paper quantities. Well worth a look if only for the etymology of the names. Definitely a forgotten corner. I got to thinking about other archaic measurements like land area which used to be on the back of my exercise books at primary school but then I fell asleep.... One rod, pole or perch...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I often have to look up the Celsius equivalent of farenheight or Gas Regulo numbers.
Cooking measures often have me scratching my head too. I love old cook books and recipes...
I only have one teacup in the house. No one drinks from it. It is my cooking teacup ( sure I have a few modern jugs with measures on the side, but the cup is so darn handy.)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

This is what I have. 1 cup down to a 1/4 cup.
WP_20190713_16_03_04_Pro.jpg
They all fit inside each other.

Mmm... I wonder who bought those for me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have a spun stainless steel set of 1/4 teaspoon to tablespoon and an aluminium set of cup measures with handles, they all nest and the handles are on a ring. My digital scales do everything else as they convert from one standard to the other and you can see the calories if you want to fiddle around with the numbers for what you are weighing. I tend to weigh liquids on them as well. I'm with Maz on the oven temperatures though and for general use its by experience but a bit more measured for baking. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yes but ( no but ) yes but! I can gauge half a cup and a third of a cup and a quarter of a cup...all from my simple teacup. I'm very clever in that regard. Don't need a stack of stackable recepricals to guide me.
Live simply!
( it's the same with teaspoons. We can all measure a full one and a half one....surely?!!!!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well you would think so, however we have a set of teaspoons that go with the main knives, forks, spoons set and a whole range of other makes and types. They do vary somewhat in size. My measuring sets all have handles and are gathered as sets by a ring at the handle end that keeps them all together but individually usable. The spoon sets are all bowl shaped so you can level off anything you are measuring. I have twin stainless butchers type hook rails that run the width of the kitchen from which we hang all our commonly used smaller pans, larger utensils, sieves etc, so no real storage problem.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a set made in the US and the smallest is 'a smidgeon'.

The topic on Sandhole Farm sent me back to PH in 1982 when I ran the Interpretation Team out of the Toll House at Higherford. The bloke outside in this pic was my building foreman, we did some good stuff and got on well together. So well I have forgotten his name..... Memory Fails.
It was a small hive of activity and there were about ten of us working out of there. I could tell many stories about our triumphs and occasional failures. The funniest one was when we mounted an exhibition of photographs in Park Hill illustrating vernacular architecture in Pendle. We mounted individual pics on small board mounts and nailed them to the boards but there was a flaw in our adhesive and during the night pics would detach themselves and fall to the floor. Young Nigel had to go over there three times a day to check and re-glue any that fell. We were glad to see the back of that one!

Here's part of the team in the back yard of the Toll House in 1982. I forget why a rock group needed all this brain power! The bald headed lad at the back is Nigel, a willing lad who for some reason was unemployed. The bloke with the flat cap is our top brain, Dr Edward Furgol, he came for interview as a picture researcher for a rest after doing another degree at Edinburgh and we invented another job for him. He was brilliant and we still talk to each other.
It was a good two years and we were supported by the long defunct Manpower Services Commission which was the best subsidy the heritage industry ever had. It was my experience at PH that triggered me into doing Ellenroad (I was funded by MSC as well) so it worked for me, got me into another proper job. MSC is my forgotten corner this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We stayed at that Toll House for a week. Lovely place, though a bit disconcerting when heavy traffic zips past the window. It is a bit like living on a roundabout and wondering when a vehicle will land in your lap.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I liked it, my office window looked out down the main road and there was always something to see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We slept in your office, if it was upstairs, with the beams. Had to be careful making ones way to the upstairs bathroom in the dark. Easy to fall down those stairs. The pub across the road was an education at night time ( George and Dragon?). I think we saw a few things we weren't meant to see...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did you notice that all the doors had a bob hole cut in them so the cat could get round hunting mice? They had all been filled in at some time and we were under some pressure to disguise them when we were refurbishing it but I put my foot down and said they should be left prominent so that people could see they had been there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Scratching my head about the cat holes. It doesn't immediately spring to memory. I may have to go on the storage device to view old photos. I remember enjoying my morning baths, with beautiful Pears Soap provided in abundance. Lovely fragrance.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look at the bottom corners of the doors. They are there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”