FORGOTTEN CORNERS

plaques
Donor

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by plaques »

We tend to forget how under powered cars and vehicles were in those days. Closer to home on the Kelbrook New Rd if you didn't put the hammer down going through Salterforth you would never hit 50 mph coming into Barlick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's why they had such low first gears. On a wagon they were always called Crawler Gear but on some weren't low enough even then. I've told the story many a time of being pushed up Buckhaw Brow at Settle when I had a bit to much asbestos sheeting on the flat. (It's heavy stuff!) I'm afraid these modern drivers don't know they are born! (I know, but it happens to be true in this case.)

This Edward Box heavy haulage unit in 1943 had a Gardner 120hp engine in it. They put more powerful engines in vans today!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

It was Gloria's comment about 'The Song of Sunrise' (Read any Good books) that reminded me of some of the old buildings in Colne. I would suggest this link.Colne Heritage ( A bit slow on loading PDF of 58 pages) Shows most of the old buildings and bits and bobs that you so easily walk past without noticing. Colne has more heritage than people think.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

plaques wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 08:45 It was Gloria's comment about 'The Song of Sunrise' (Read any Good books) that reminded me of some of the old buildings in Colne. I would suggest this link.Colne Heritage ( A bit slow on loading PDF of 58 pages) Shows most of the old buildings and bits and bobs that you so easily walk past without noticing. Colne has more heritage than people think.
It is very interesting Stanley, I came across it when reading The Song of Sunrise, it put more flesh on the bones so to speak.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Anything that gets people looking at otherwise forgotten corners gets my vote.
I was only thinking yesterday as I looked at a curved stone kerb stone that is being laid in Town Square that attention to detail like that deserves A Star rating. David Whipp told me it had been found in an old yard at Lomeshaye. Have a look, it's outside the Artisan Baker's.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 08:39 We tend to forget how under powered cars and vehicles were in those days. Closer to home on the Kelbrook New Rd if you didn't put the hammer down going through Salterforth you would never hit 50 mph coming into Barlick.
Stanley wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 04:07 This Edward Box heavy haulage unit in 1943 had a Gardner 120hp engine in it. They put more powerful engines in vans today!
My last motorbike, Honda 1100 Pan European was shaft driven with a 4 cylinder engine arranged as a V into twin pipes. Weighed around 260Kg unloaded and rated 100BHP, would do 158mph at the red line and cruise comfortably all day at 120mph at 4,500 rpm. Made no difference if it was loaded for a fortnights touring. All in the grunt and the power to weight ratio of course. Lots of the smaller pocket rockets would beat it on acceleration and when you get onto the bigger road racers, well! :extrawink:

Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And yet that engine would not have had enough torque to drive the Edward Box wagon successfully.
Those old long stroke engines were like steam engines, virtually impossible to stall. That was the secret of engines like the Gardner and why they were so successful until the days of higher speeds and better performance. They tried making a turbocharged engine but it was not a success. That's why Gardners of Patricroft are a forgotten corner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Curved stone kerb stones....

I popped into the Town Square and did these two pics for you of curved stone Kerb stones. Like Ken with his plaques, there are some things that need recording and curved kerb stones qualify!

And while we are at it, here's another milestone marking a forgotten corner.

This is the scene in the back street (East Hill Street) from now on. We have lost the uninterrupted view to the North we have had up to now. Such is progress, the back street now feels enclosed and less free.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to Ken this morning. He posted this pic of Bunty Heap about 3 years ago and I had forgotten all about it. Luckily I tripped over it this morning in the long grass.
Bunty was Married to Fred Heap, a lovely bloke who, when I knew him and Bunty worked at Rolls Royce. Bunty , with her mother in the early days, ran the Coronation Hotel at Horton Road End for Vaux Breweries of Sunderland who had built it to cater for the coaching trade from the NE to Blackpool particularly when the Lights were in season as the A59 was the trunk route from the NE to the Fylde Coast in the days before the motorways. I knew them because I used to deliver the milk and cream each morning form West Marton Dairy as part of my early morning can pick up in Horton and round the Triangle at Marton. I always got a bacon butty and a pot of coffee.
Bunty did our wedding reception as well for 7/6 a head, turkey dinner and one drink thrown in for the toast! Those were the days. Definitely a forgotten corner now the pub is closed and it's high end executive housing.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Nov 2020, 05:49 This is the scene in the back street (East Hill Street) from now on. We have lost the uninterrupted view to the North we have had up to now. Such is progress, the back street now feels enclosed and less free.
You'll have to encourage a local `Banksy' to paint a mural of green hills and dales on the dark structure at the end of the back! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's definitely a loss and will be even more so when it is given it's tiles or slates. We could see 40 miles out in that direction on a clear day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just realised Peter what 'the dark structure' is you refer to. That's the back wall of the joiner's shop that used to sit on the site below the back street. That will eventually go and some sort of wall will be built I suppose.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So many things about the Covid pandemic remind me of days long gone when infections just as serious roamed the land and we had to live with them. Many people don't even recognise the names now, or associate them with infectious possibilities. TB, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, scarlet fever, diphtheria, typhoid and cholera were all suppressed by better knowledge leading to improved hygiene, treatment and eventually immunisation against them.
The same will happen now as the vaccines come on line and daft as it sounds, people will start to forget just as they have the older diseases and eventually we'll see headlines about the return of long forgotten diseases.
This could be true of diseases that we regard as being 'eradicated' like anthrax and smallpox. I don't know how reliable the reports are or whether there is any truth in them but I read about carcasses being exposed as the permafrost melts and spores of Anthrax and smallpox bacterium being released. I don't know how serious such fears are or if they are just scaremongering.
Whatever, hard though it is to believe, Covid will be forgotten, resistance to vaccines will grow and the incidence of the disease will rise again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dee Mill engine at Shaw in 1985. Lying there vandalised beyond recovery due to total neglect. This was the common fate of a lot of good machinery in those days. It fell to people like me in the latter days to go in and tidy up. We were not thanked, I eventually scrapped Dee Mill engine and got hate mail for my pains from people who knew nothing about the circumstances.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is the tail race from the small mill at Gillians across the road from the three storey building. The water came from a dam in Bancrofts land which can still be seen.

The dam site just below Bancrofts Farm. Easy to overlook today but this was the power source for the small mill at Gillians which produced sliver, the form of carded cotton needed for hand spinning. The three story building across the lane is often mistaken for the mill but was actually fitted out with spinning wheels and was a very early spinning factory.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gillian's beck itself is a forgotten corner. It used to be very busy! As it came down off the moor it powered Ouzledale mill (sawmill and then foundry), then Mitchell's Mill (later called Clough, spinning and weaving) and then went on to join Butts Beck and help power the Corn Mill. Further down in Bracewell as part of what was then the Stock Beck some of the water was diverted into a head race and powered the corn mill near Yarlside. Today all those functions are gone, all it is now is a source of water for stock and a drainage channel.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So many things we used to take for granted have become forgotten corners as the Covid pandemic bites into every day life. The simplest pleasures like a snack in a restaurant or going to the cinema, let alone holidays and day trips are verboten. One begins to wonder whether some of these pleasures will be available even if restrictions are lifted as the cost of maintaining them or paying rents can't be met with no income coming in.
Remember when the decision about a second runway at Heathrow or Gatwick was a pressing matter? Not now, nobody is even considering it. The whole of the aircraft industry is being eroded, we can see that particularly here in Barlick. Will we ever see it open up again?
All this is obvious before we get any decision about Europe. That will have an effect as well. I think we can agree that it's a long time since we saw so many corners being forgotten!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

For years East Lancashire has been a forgotten corner ever since the weaving industry collapsed. Sadly with Rolls on the brink of closure this area will take one more step towards the abyss gradually dying on its feet. Promises of new road and rail links will disappear completely with the only expansion being Barrowford as a dormitory town for the bigger cities. Not a pleasant outlook and no good for youngsters looking for employment but OK for pensioners looking for tranquility.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

From The BBC Ian Nairn Series of the early 1970s. Travel on the Leeds Liverpool Canal. Making the edit were Leigh, Wigan, Blackburn , Burnley, Foulridge Tunnel, Barnoldswick got a mention but blink and you miss it unless you recognise the countryside views, Skipton, Saltaire and Leeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q67jA0XIn0U
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken is right I think. Probably the biggest forgotten corner of the lot is anywhere North of Watford. This includes the rest of the Union as well. We have all been run like colonies by those holding the levers of power in London. Their attention was always held by the Continent to the South because basically they wanted as big a slice as possible of that as well to exploit. That's why the old enemy was always France. When they found that wasn't going to work they started an empire and now they have lost that and are in danger of losing the Union as well. It's not too big a mind experiment to start thinking about a Federation of independent regions in England. The united Kingdom itself is beginning to look like a forgotten corner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This is such a forgotten corner today that most people would look at you askance if you talked about a policeman on 'point duty'. This was the way traffic was controlled at busy junctions in cities by a policeman physically standing there and directing which traffic could move and where. Bad enough on a normal day but imagine it in heavy rain or snow. I don't know how long the stints were but half an hour would be too long for me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Stanley wrote: 11 Apr 2016, 04:34 Thanks for that Wrinklie.

Was this the house you were born in? Is it number 2?
Hi Stanley I haven't been in here for ages after suffering a subdural haematoma but fully recovered now.
To answer your question the house I was born in is 1 York St
Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Cathy wrote: 11 Apr 2016, 05:27 Hi Wrinklie. Were you living in Fountain St 1954 - 1963 ?
Please forgive me for not replying earlier. No I got demobbed from the RAF in 1953 and Lived got married and lived in a council house on Coates Ave
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not many people will notice this but it's an old wash-out clow in the bank of the Stock Beck in Victory Park for the mill lodge that served Old Coates Mill down to the left. That lodge is Bankfield Shed car park now. That's a forgotten corner in itself but for those who have read Billy Brooks' evidence in the LTP it will bring back memories of Billy's dad going down to the mill on a summer's evening with his mate and setting the water wheel on to do a couple of hours weaving so they had more beer money at weekend. Now that really is a forgotten corner!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”