FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

David Whipp's pic of Shitten Ginnel, the colloquial name for the ancient foot-way between the bottom of Esp Lane and Calf Hall Lane at the site of St Mary's Well, now lost to us. This route has always fascinated me because there are so many possible connections with what could be the site of our ancient Saxon church and the well itself which was almost certainly a site of Pagan ritual. The name on the 1853 OS map is 'Pickles Hippings' but this actually only refers to the original crossing of the beck by stepping stones. 'Hippings' is a dialect word for these. A very old route and one which should not be forgotten.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Longfield Lane. Another ancient route. This one was the route of the Bronze Age equivalent of the M62. One of the major routes from Ireland to the Baltic!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The ginnel that runs from Philip Street, formerly Back Lane and the main route through the old town down to Newtown. Before Church Street and Manchester Road this was the route of the main road from Skipton and Gisburn which connected to Back Lane. It was blocked by the later building of Craven House.

Incidentally, the grey cast iron standard on the left of the picture is another forgotten corner. It's a vent for the sewer system acting like a chimney to draw foul air out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I only know of one other sewer vent. It's at the junction where Valley Road meets Wellhouse Road. When the Calf Hall Company bought Wellhouse Mill off the Craven Bank, the road out to Skipton Road was unadopted and private. There is a mention in the minute books of a right of way being given to a farmer delivering milk on there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Coates canal bridge probably just before 1900. Nuttall's new Coates Mill is behind the cottages on the right, he built it in 1865. The two tall houses on the left just over the bridge were on the canal wharf and were at one time owned by the Calf Hall Shed Company. They were demolished for road widening. If you look in the Calf Hall Shed minute books on the site you'll find them in there. I like the horse muck on the road..... Different times!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jun 2017, 04:04 Image

Longfield Lane. Another ancient route. This one was the route of the Bronze Age equivalent of the M62. One of the major routes from Ireland to the Baltic!
Should such routes have some kind of world heritage protection status ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This pic looks to have been taken at the same time as the other. The photographer was on the top of the bridge looking towards Skipton. Coates Hall over to the right. Look in Richard Ryley's diary on the site and recognise that this was the state of the road when they brought in the new boiler for Clough from Sandbeds at Keighley by horse power. Imagine 30 horses dragging a 20 ton boiler on this road, no wonder it attracted attention!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's the 1892 map of the area. I find these maps fascinating, the more you study them the more you learn.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Meant to say I love the pic of Shitten Ginnel, I can see our Grandma walking along there on her way to somewhere. Very nice.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's another for you Cathy, further along towards Calf Hall Lane.

This access to the field on this stretch has always intrigued me. Very ancient and no apparent reason for it. My favourite is that it was access to a footpath to the Saxon church but I have no firm evidence. And then there is the fact that the original St Mary's Well is somewhere close by.... A fascinating little walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here's an early Saxon church in Wiltshire. I suspect that our church was timber on stone foundations from clues in the Kirkstall Papers not full stone like this. When John Clayton was interpreting the LIDAR scan of the area he identified a building platform near Calf Hall Farm which looks like a possible site. I'd love to see a proper investigation.....

Barlick LIDAR image.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet a lot of people would have trouble placing this anonymous little building even though it's in the town centre. I did the pic in 1982 in York Street because I have an idea that this was a builder's yard at one point. Notice how badly the bricks have spalled, a sure sign in Barlick that they came from the brickworks at Salterforth just below Park Close quarry. Harold Duxbury always said they were useless outside, only fit for lining inside stone walls.

Here's another example of them at the back of the Pigeon Club in Butts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Park Close Quarry in 1948.

Park close Quarry. The brickworks is the middle section of the buildings below the quarry. It used shale from the quarry and coal brought up from the canal wharf at the bottom of the drag.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Pic from Barnoldswick and Barlickers.
The first ww tank on it's way to Letcliffe Park, just turning out of Station rd onto Church st.
FB_20170625_09_41_05_Saved_Picture.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Here it is on the plinth in Letcliffe Park Cathy. The viewpoint is mounted on there now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This picture from the Craven Herald in October 1932 seems to be incontrovertible proof that this was when the Letcliffe Tank was scrapped but an old lady who used to live on Wellhouse Street was quite sure it was still there in 1936. I decided on balance that the picture was more solid proof. Memory can play tricks on you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed something in the picture which is a forgotten corner in itself. Can you see the rather battered tin drum on top of the oxygen bottles? This is, unless I am very much mistaken, a drum of Calcium Carbide which was used with water in an Acetylene generator to make the fuel gas for the oxy-Acetylene cutter they are using. I'm not sure when Acetylene in cylinders became available.
{ I had a look and found a reference to Acetylene dissolved in acetone and a filler mass in cylinders after 1900 but I suppose it was quite hard to source and expensive.}
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Green End House at Earby in about 1900. This was after the Bracewells had left the town. Note the two people stood between the bay windows.... I always wonder what their story was when I look at these old pics.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stephen Gladston Pickles, born 15 March 1899. Died about 1985. In this pic, taken at his nephew Stepehen Hartley Pickles wedding in 1949(?) Looks about right, he was about 50 in this pic. Wife called Ann, one of Nelson family from Gledstone. The Pickles family were arguably the least flamboyant and most successful cotton manufacturers in the town. I interviewed him for the LTP and he had a wicked sense of humour and retailed some very scurrilous gossip about some of the other manufacturers....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pumping test on a 100ft deep borehole at Paythorne in 1946. Martin's plumbers were there and Newton is stood next to the boiler. We take mains water for granted these days but this was not always the case. I can remember private bores being sunk as late as 1960, there was a Harrogate firm who were very active. We have a member on site, Wendy, who still has to rely on a spring. Worth remembering when you turn the tap on. I wonder how many people think about the infrastructure that is needed to enable them to do that?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Just to update your records, we have 3 water supplies , a 25ft. dug well with electric suction pump, 250ft bore hole well, submersible pump, and most recent a supply from a local water scheme that costs 90 euro per annum.
When i lived at Victoria nr. Hepworth, Yorks. the water supply came from the local mine " Tinkers Pit" it was pumped up to a storage tank at Hepshaw and supplied via gravity to the local area, not sure how the locals handled the situation after the pit closed ?, an aside to that, the owner of the pit Mr. Charles Shaw Tinker lived a about two miles away and he had an electric supply run to his house from the pit, this passed through Victoria and he arranged a tap off to the local residents homes, the supply was D.C. and i remember helping my dad rewire our house in the late 1940s to suit the new A.C. supply from the electricity board.
Stanley why do we old buggers remember stuff like this ?, The best you'd get from todays youngsters if your'e lucky would be a stop cock and fuse box .
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our small Somerset village once relied for water on what they would have called `A girt big metal tank' which collected rainwater and supplied it to the houses. The older locals can point out where it was located. There used to be a well in our garden (and the present dining room is where the pig sty once stood and the back bedrooms were the barn in which the wheelwright kept his wagons and his equipment).
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I was at Harrods Farm we had a well and my first job every morning was to pump up enough water into a big storage tank in the roof to last us through the day. The water supply in the farm buildings was fed by gravity from a spring up on the hill behind the farmhouse and didn't need pumping but wasn't reckoned to be as clean as the house well.
Bodge, I think the difference might be that in the absence of TV and electronic games we took a greater interest in the world around us. That's why we know where our water comes from, where the sewage goes and how the leccy is made!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

re water, ram pumps were often used in rural Ireland in the "big" houses
http://science.howstuffworks.com/transp ... ion318.htm
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love hydraulic rams, we have a couple in Barlick, disused now but once very useful.

Here's one, Hall Spout near Salterforth. It supplied some properties owned nearby by the Gledstone Estate. I found one once when I was investigating Slaidburn when I was at Pendle Heritage. I found the firm that made it near Accrington, they had full records and were still in business making rams for export to Third World countries. It's still useful technology!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”