FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

The road from the Nappa road end down towards Little Stainton was very narrow and had small telephone poles at the side. One morning when the road was shot ice I slid over and necked one of the posts off. I reported it from the public phone box in Marton and I was asked for my name and address. As if! That's a forgotten corner now because my phone would identify me and I'd get a bill for replacing a pole.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was coming back with an empty milk tanker from a drop in the North East one Christmas Eve. This was before the roads were improved to the north of Skipton and an the narrow bit just as we dropped off the hill near Skipton Rock quarry a silver Bentley car came round the corner far too fast, drifted over the road, smacked my rear wheel and didn't stop. I had put a wheel up the bank as I stopped and so was blocking the road. I got a name and address off the bloke behind me and went into Skipton. I called in at the police station and made a voluntary statement giving them my witness. This was to protect me from being accused of hitting the car. The sergeant got on the phone and while we were doing the statement we got word that the car had been stopped on Blubberhouses, the driver breathalysed and found under the influence, he admitted hitting me. Turned out he was a Blackpool haulage contractor who should have know better.
I suspect this couldn't happen today because first find your police station and second how many patrol drivers are out on the road? Times have changed and a properly staffed police force is a forgotten corner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We often comment on the loss of the railway but that carried with it another forgotten corner. When we lost the railway we lost the goods yard with its coal traffic and public weighbridge, the jobs directly connected to the railway and of course the ability to travel by rail. It was part of the local economy and you can't just take that out without causing damage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We often mention the fact that Barlick once had a rail connection with the Midland line at Sough and from there to the wide world. What is less well known is that there was another line promoted under the Barnoldswick Light Railways act . This was the Barnoldswick and Gisburn light railway and the intention was to make a connection between the end of the line at Barnoldswick and a junction with the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway at Gisburn. This was proposed in 1904 and by 1906 had reached the stage where preliminary agreements had been made and the Light Railway Commissioners held an enquiry at Gisburn in July to consider the evidence for and against the new line.
At this point, for reasons that are unclear to me the LYR pulled a fast one by attending the enquiry and stating that they would not allow the junction to be made North of Gisburn. The Commissioners had no alternative but to close the enquiry and the promoters withdrew the scheme.
Nine years later the scheme was put forward again but without the connection to the MR at Barnoldswick. The LYR agreed as long as they could run the line. The order was granted but war intervened and the line was never built.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

20 tons of Sutton Manor singles being delivered at Bancroft Shed in 1977. In itself this is a forgotten corner because a whole industry has died.
There is another reason why this was notable. It was the only time we ever got an eight wheeler in the yard, the coal was from Sutton Manor near St Helens, possibly the best coal in the North of England and we normally got Yorkshire coal. The coal should never have got to us, the delivery note was for Bankfield (Rolls Royce) not Bancroft the driver had made a mistake but we tipped him God knows who paid for the coal, I never enquired. At the time we were running under severe rationing and the three day week so I was burning stock. I never asked any questions. :biggrin2:
A whole raft of forgotten corners.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Domestic energy delivery, old style. Almost a forgotten corner but you can still order smokeless fuel and have it delivered. You can tell who is the foreman in this image. The man at the back has the cash bag slung on his shoulder....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I remember them well.
Lovely image.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Notice the sign on top of the second hut. Pete Bilborough was the engineer for William Billycock Bracewell and ran the engineering shop at Wellhouse Mill. When Bracewell died and the Craven Bank closed the mills down he was out of a job so shifted over to being a coal merchant and was very successful, he stayed in that job for the rest of his life. He must have taken note of how well the coal suppliers were doing when he was engineer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

The only forms of transport I see here are legs and bicycles so this could count as a forgotten corner.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You couldn't stand in the road there now for the number of parked cars and if you could you would probably get run over.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Is there a date and location for that photograph ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't seen that pic of the top of Skipton road before. It's a good one. I suspect it's pre-war, just because the shop on the end of Foresters Buildings on the left is still trading. If I remember correctly it was a dressmaker's and closed early in the war. The pot shop is open, was it run by the Misses Ormerod? That's now Stanley Street Vets.
You're right Mick, it definitely counts as a forgotten corner!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

This image looks to me to have been taken around the same time.
I still can't see what the sign on the building on the right reads but it certainly seems to be the same sign as is shown in the previous image.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you're right Mick, taken at the same time as the other. The sign on the right has a white rose on it and is on the Yorkshire Bank. This is the old building that was demolished to build the concrete monstrosity in 1979.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think Mick means the one on the side of Wilmores, you can see it in both photo's
Ian
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Yes, Ian. That's the one I was referring to.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a road sign isn't it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I don't think so Stanley, I think the last word is Office.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm seeing it as a road sign!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Me too, it looks very similar to this one
Screenshot_20220116-102818_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I presume we are talking about this sign?
20220116_104804.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes that's the one Kev.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Which is definitely an RAC road sign, you can see the shaped top and the diamond.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Another thing that catches the eye is the vertical striped pole which looks like a Belisha Beacon. There isn't another at the other side of the road though.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm currently reading through some of my mum's diaries looking for a clue to a family mystery. I've just reached the end of 1974 (without solving the mystery) and Mum and Dad have just taken a pre Christmas trip from home in Leeds to a shop on a farm near Barnoldswick where they have treated themselves to sheepskin coats. Any ideas where that might have been?

Return to “Local History Topics”