Rainhall Rocks History.

Nick Hancock

Rainhall Rocks History.

Post by Nick Hancock »

This has probably been discussed loads of times in the past but I need a little help. I recently went up to the site of Rainhall Rocks, took some photos of how it is now and posted them on my Flickr account with a picture of how it was in the early 1900,s and a picture from the 1980's with a dustbin waggon emptying its load. I put a brief history of Rainhall Rocks with the photos, the basic stuff that most Batlickers know, it was a limestone quarry, the canal into Rainhall Rocks was a branch off the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, turned into a landfill site in the 1960's. This set of pictures has generated a bit of interest from , my Flickr contacts. One in particular from Otley has asked for some more detailed history on the branch canal. Does any body know more details? eg. when the branch canal was constructed when the quarry first came into use and when it was abandoned. My contact from Otley said he couldn't believe that people were still destroying our industrial heritage in the 1980's.

Any further details on the history of Rainhall Rocks would be appreciated (even if it is just pointing me in the right direction on this site.

Nick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rainhall Rocks History.

Post by Stanley »

Lots of resources on site. Warner History and Old Barlick in Rare texts and have a look at the John Bagshawe topic I put up this morning. You could also get a lot from the History of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal by Mike Clarke.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Mike Clarke is the expert on Leeds and Liverpool Canal history.

He's doing a talk at the Rainhall Centre tonight (7pm Thursday 17th Oct) on Canals in China. Further details here:

http://www.visitbarnoldswick.co.uk/even ... ventid=570
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wow, canals in China, a fascinating topic, how can anyone resist it?. If I were up there I'd be queuing for a seat! I wonder when the first Chinese canal was built?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Nick Hancock

Post by Nick Hancock »

Thanks for the assistance. I'll dig a bit deeper on site, it's just a question of knowing where to look.

Nick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Use the search facility at the top right of the page Nick, try different associated keywords and see what comes up.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought I'd already posted Bagshawe but couldn't find it with Search so I posted it again.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Tizer wrote:Wow, canals in China, a fascinating topic, how can anyone resist it?. If I were up there I'd be queuing for a seat!
Slow boat to China comes to mind.

About a dozen people went to the talk... I was at a meeting in Nelson, else I'd have asked Mike about Nick's enquiry.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One tip about site search, if it lets you down try the same keyword on Google but add 'oneguyfrombarlick' to it. This makes it site specific and can often throw up an answer when the site search fails.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”