BARNOLDSWICK HERITAGE WEEKEND 2014

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: BARNOLDSWICK HERITAGE WEEKEND 2014

Post by PanBiker »

Looking good Peter.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It is looking increasingly likely that something I tried to get here for the event many months ago, but found that it was already booked for elsewhere, may be here after all. This is the Rolls Royce Welland W2B Engine derived from Sir Frank Whittle's earlier design. Yesterday I raised the question of music again, we will see what happens. There is also now a possibility of an informal, multi denominational act of remembrance at some point on the Sunday in respect of the Centenary.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It would appear that the mention of music yesterday started a new ball rolling. In mid afternoon I was clearing out all of the old and redundant stuff from my mail setup and I came across a contact that had not been used for many months, my thought at the time was "I wonder what happened there?" oddly enough I decided to leave it on the list, It seems that it was as well that I did. On the subject of music, we all remember the impact of the Yorkshire Regimental Band last year, had they not been here the entire event could well have fallen flat, as our own Town Band was elsewhere on the day. Many months ago, quite out of the blue came a mail from the head of a Theatre Group based in Whitby, a new musical play had been written about the loss of the Rohilla, a desire was expressed at that time to come here and perform at this years event, I replied that this was indeed a wonderful idea, but has happens all too frequently, nothing else was heard. A call later yesterday from another member of our team asking what had happened to this idea, and could we give it another go. This was done straight away and this time there was positive response in the evening, this is now being actively pursued. For several weeks now, anyone mailed with regard to this event also receives the latest copy of the event timetable for their own information, invitations to attend as a VIP have RSVP attached, even so there are they who do not give us the courtesy of a reply, a simple "no thank you" is better than nothing! Now with just a couple of weeks to go there is still much to do but it is looking good, apart from the weather, I believe that the situation is now under some degree of control.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Yesterday, two of us went to the printers at Nelson, and were given a comprehensive tour of the works there, pretty fantastic says it all. The visit ended with the official signing off of the book. Work is now ongoing in regard of the musicians and players from the Whitby area. Two weeks and counting, and having spoken with several people today who had absolutely no idea, or even heard about this event does not come as any surprise. Has this Town lost its true character, when word of mouth was how it happened, or is it just complacency?. Nil response to invitations to attend is still happening, but only from Barlick, the main enthusiasm is from elsewhere. The bottom line is "if you cannot be bothered, then please say so". A relatively small group of people put a lot of effort into what happens here, and they deserve the support of the many, not just the few.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Peter, agreed!

We have just a couple of weeks left to promote the event to the wider world... the sooner we nail down some of the outstanding details, the better!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Work on this event is still ongoing and will continue until the last minute. However, sometimes decisions have to be made. With this in mind tomorrow the agenda goes to the media, nil responses go to the bottom of the stack when it comes to invitations. Sometimes, messages come in that are not clear, this has just happened but will be pursued. If anyone has any comments or ideas, now is the time, for soon now it will be too late.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A mail this morning from the Craven Herald is fair proof that the work done since 2011 can be of value to individuals. They had been approached by a reader for information on two of the names on our War Memorial, James and Thomas Gilbert Pitchford, all information has now been passed to the reader who is a descendant. A result.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Meanwhile, here in good old Barlick, apart from the threat of revolution, republican wishes, the constant baying of the hounds of opposition, and dietary outpourings attendant to the latter, work goes on with a project that some of us hope will provide a memorable event. Trying to put something like this together was never going to be an easy task. I am lucky in my part of this that there are others elsewhere who are genuinely interested in what we are trying to achieve. Already some of us are looking at the future, this will continue, all we ask is for the support of the people of this town, and for those who complain about this town and the country in general, I believe that the old WW1 expression still counts:- If you know of a better hole, then go to it!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This has turned into a week of problems and frustration, some of which have been ironed out, we only have 7 days now to sort out the remainder. First came the re worked CWGC certificates for the 12 Rohilla Men, these depixelated when printed in A3. They have been completely re done with the aid of Heather (Calluna) and I am extremely pleased with the result, they are a credit to her. A probable lack of communication has led to other problems, in particular in respect of the RR Nene engine. I also now have groups such as Ceres Division asking questions that I cannot answer straight away, and they are reasonable and important questions, a blanket of fog has descended. The old issue of trying to get all interested parties together at the same time has again occurred, a meeting this week had to be cancelled as there were only going to be 3 of us there. At least we now know that the weather is set to improve in the next seven days, maybe the fog will lift as well!!!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Peter; please get folk to email Ken and me direct...
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Your contact details have been passed on in regard of the Nene Engine, Ceres Division RNR and the Whitby Musicians, please copy replies to me.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have just been having a look at the BBMF site news. There were problems with both Lancaster's in the past few days, but after intense work by the engineers they are both operational again. The coming weeks program will be displayed after tomorrow, this gives all of the details of the what, the when and the where. Fingers and all crossed now.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thanks Peter.

Claire Teall has been contacted by a former Lancaster navigator, now 91, who'll be coming along and wants a good, accessible, view. Also, via Visit Barnoldswick, a keen photographer has asked about best position to take pictures.

When we know likely direction, please can folk think about good vantage points? Thanks.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It is fairly safe to assume that the aircraft will be coming form the South and heading in a Northerly direction, they may well follow Kelbrook Rd after coming over the moors beyond Kelbrook. The BBMF team have the annotated maps and are quite happy with them, the main event area is clearly defined. Probably the best vantage point near to the event will be from the War Memorial Area and beyond to the Town Green. Anywhere on Kelbrook Rd and in particular near WC High School. Victory and Letcliffe parks should also be good although a bit more distant. My gut feeling is with the event area possibilities, and even the raised area in front of Holy Trinity Church. A copy of the Pathe News coverage of the Rohilla disaster has been obtained and permission to screen it sought. Just 5 days left now, and whilst there is some fine tuning to be done, we are getting there.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm hoping for a grandstand seat!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many years ago as a part of my advanced Naval training, I was schooled in the art of addressing a group of people, this I can now cope with within reason. But today I had a visit from a representative of the radio program 2BR. Talking to a hand held device is not on my to do list, and when the person holding it is an extremely attractive young lady sat beside me, even the years of experience count for nought. However, we got through it and the result should go out every hour on the 6th from 8.00 am in the news, dry mouth much in evidence.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

After a fair bit of hard work by the team, just about all wrinkles have been ironed out. A cautious eye is being kept on the progress with the Lancaster's, one of which is undergoing an engine change.
My telephone bill runeth over, wifey has gone for a new bottle of rum!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Things are certainly shaping up; most of the things which were 'up in the air' are falling down in the right place... (not Lancasters!).

Can't remember if I've mentioned it, but we have a 91 year old former Lancaster navigator coming along for the flyover.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have just mailed the BBMF events team with that information, plus a name on the Memorial killed on a raid on Essen in a Lancaster. I have also included our best wishes to the team. Something that I find very worthwhile, is that we are now getting enquires through various media for information on ancestors named on the Memorial, this is now fairly easy to deal with and comes with a great deal of satisfaction. The book is scheduled to be delivered today, and I look forward to seeing the final product. There will not be a large presence by Ceres Division due to other commitments, but they are coming. The musicians from Whitby, again few in number should be here on Saturday afternoon and will possible perform in the evening and on Sunday, this could be in the Rainhall Centre. In respect of the Rohilla, something extra may be added on Saturday afternoon, work on this is ongoing. The BBMF have not yet produced the rest of this weeks agenda, this should happen tomorrow.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A walk around town this morning, and chatting to people, I am still amazed by the numbers who still have absolutely no idea what is taking place this weekend. In this day and age of rapid communication, it is quite clear that the old fashioned "word of mouth" is nigh on extinct, there is more interest from afar than here. Even the Duke of York has expressed interest and wishes us well for the day. I have seen a finished copy of the book, and I am more than happy with what I see. Things are now coming together, and I believe that only two enemies remain to bar the path to success, heavy rain and mechanical failure.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Now with less than 24 hours to go, it had suddenly gone very quiet here in the back office. That changed minutes ago with a call from the Navigator of the lead Lancaster, City of Lincoln AKA Thumper III, Fl.Lt. Iain Shaw. All is set for tomorrow weather permitting, both aircraft are operational again. They will be coming here via Castle Allerton (10 miles East of Harrogate) exiting there over Menwith Hill, this means that they will be coming from an Easterly direction before turning North to Prestwick, arrival here is app 1230 - 1240 pm. The navigator used to work for Rolls Royce at Filton, Bristol and was interested to hear that there will be a WW2 Lancaster Navigator here, and the Nene Engine.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Just arrived by special delivery, the original copies of the book foreword and message from HRH the Duke of York. These I am going to frame.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Peter, you will be relieved that all is finally coming together, thank you and well done. Wendy will probably have the Lancs directly overhead or thereabouts on approach from her location.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll be sat outside waiting with my camera at the ready.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Urgent update on this. A call just now from Fl. Lt. Shaw moves the ETA forward to 1226 over Barlick. Please spread the word.

Return to “Local History Topics”