Pendle War Memorials

plaques
Donor

Re: Pendle War Memorials

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorial Victoria Park.

Location. Adjacent to the entrance from Carr Rd. This memorial is a simple base stone engraved with the dates of the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars. It carries no other information which would tie it to some other memorials that may have perhaps been removed. it is sited below what were the boys and girls playing fields prior to the building of the M65. This would suggest it was part of the Memorial Cross and Scout Memorial that can now be seen in the above posting.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorial. Walton Lane Cemetery.

Location Walton Lane cemetery top pedestrian entrance opposite Lynthorpe Rd. A new tablet dedicated to the servicemen who are buried in the Great Marsden St John churchyard. (Barkerhouse Rd Nelson)

The memoriam face is shown.

The south facing panel is as below.

The north facing panel already shows some degree of weathering and is difficult to read.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorials. Wesleyan Peace Memorial.

Location. Cross St part of the current Nelson Town Hall. The old Carr Rd Wesleyan Peace Memorial Institute. The doorway into the Institute in now closed off but the carving is still in place.

The Memorial Plaque for the 1914-18 war is shown below.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorial. St Mary's Church.

Location. St Mary's Church, Manchester Rd, Nelson. St Mary's is now closed and the grounds where the memorial stands are close off to the public. The images shown are taken from the outside pavement are consequently are of a lower quality than desired.

The full Memorial is show below. The right hand side face carries the dates of 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars.

A closer view of the epitaph is shown.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You are doing a great job P. Thanks.
As an old pedant I wonder often if the dead would regard getting killed in the mud was glorious....
In the case of the monument above the full quotation from Ecclesiastes starts 'And some there be that have no memorial, they are perished as though they had never been....'. Not true in this case.
I am an old pedant aren't I!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"I am an old pedant aren't I!"

Nowt wrong with a bit of pedantry. :smile:

On the matter of remembering - I saw on the Lotto quiz progamme recently a young man (mid twenties I'd say) was asked the date the Battle of Britain. So as not to tax him too much he was given a choice of three dates 1939 1940 and 1945. Not only did he get it wrong, he admitted he hadn't heard of it, and didn't even know who the battle was against. :sad:

Realistically though - I suppose there has to be some cut off point for remembering and revering past events. We don't commemorate the Battle of Waterloo too much now, do we.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: We don't commemorate the Battle of Waterloo
1815. Sometimes I think it would have been more to our advantage if Napoleon had won. In my opinion the whole point of remembering these wars is that ordinary people had their lives taken from them to satisfy the greed or doctoring of a few individuals. The current Syrian situation is virtually a re-run of the 'Crusades' of 1097 where the Franks set out to claim Jerusalem to satisfy pope Urban 11 Link. when will all this stop. Never, if we don't remember.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite right P. Remember Dubya using the description 'Crusade'? I protested at the time that he should read his history and remember the power of folk memory.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorials. Taylor Richardson Co Ltd.

Location. Brunswick St / Boston St Nelson. Factory wall. Although the use of the building has now changed the plaque is still visible from within the factory car park.

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Nelson War Memorial. Ex-St Josephs, Macleod St. Nelson.

Location. The memorial is now located at the entrance of All Souls Cemetery Wheatley Lane Barrowford. The original church being demolished in 1960. A detailed account can be found here. Link.

This is very much in the style of a 'religious' cross with the cross itself carrying religious symbols.

The inscriptions on the front base reads.

Our only hope Jesus died on the cross for us all. Mother of sorrows pray for us.
O, Almighty Lord God grant to our fallen Heroes eternal rest.
To our wounded due recompense.
To our Country peace and progress.

On the reverse it reads.

"Le Yaite White Cross" 1557. At the Catholic Academy, Hargreave. A suggestive idea to Douay College which saved the Catholic Faith.
Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Memorial Crosses - Churchyards and others. These I understand were sometimes erected to denote graves of military personnel nearby. These would have been convalescing wounded whom died in hospital or elsewhere in the parish.

Additionally some crosses had swords (metal or carved) on front (and rear?) faces. In the pictures so far is the pommel working a common one accross england or are they often specific to regiment or detachments associated with the area ?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote:Additionally some crosses had swords (metal or carved) on front (and rear?) faces.
The majority of 'Civic' war memorials are generally neutral in their design especially with respect to religious beliefs. Within the Pendle area there is only the one in Nelson that I have seen with a sword carved on the pillar shaft. There is another in Briercliffe with a more elaborate sword carving. For completeness I will show the Briercliffe memorial in full below. I have not seen any memorials that could be specifically attributed to any Regiment but I'm not an expert and my comments are only based on observations a bit like Hyperion. Where memorials are raised by public subscription, a local community or Church then the design of the Cross and circular pummel along with any inscriptions is entirely their own choice.

Briercliffe War Memorial.

Location Burnley Rd. (adjacent to the bowling green).

Last edited by plaques on 01 Aug 2017, 16:09, edited 2 times in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep posting them P. It's building into a valuable record!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Barlick War Memorial. Armistice Day 2020. For those who wish to remember the fallen in other areas of Pendle I've added it to this old posting site.

PB100111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Local History Topics”