Blakey

yungfil

Blakey

Post by yungfil »

Hi All,
I'm struggling to determine the extent of the ancient 14c area of Blakey to the west of Colne - anyone got any clues? I was originally assuming the area extended from Wanless (ie Blakey Hall Farm) westward to Pendle Water (at Higherford).

A deed from 1340 gives the area as 'the bounds of this property began at Wanless Brook and going round Brownhill to Hallholme Bank, went back to the Wanless' in 1322 its given as adjacent to Roughlee, whilst in 1324 it comes under the Extent of the Manor of Colne - making it a much larger area than previously envisaged. I know it included Parkhulley (Parkhill). I did wonder if Hallholme bank has now become Hollin.

My current thinking is that the area described could be all the way from Wanless to Roughlee, bounded on the south by Colne Water and to the north encompassing Blacko.

Anyone any suggestions?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blakey

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Yungfil, beyond my paygrade I'm afraid.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Not sure whether John Claytons series of books might cover what you are researching.

Pendle Books - Barrowford Press
Ian
yungfil

Post by yungfil »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response. I have John's books but I cannot find anything specific regarding this.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site. A good bet would be to pop a query on John Clayton's website. (http://www.barrowfordpress.co.uk/)
The other thing that springs to mind is Bennett's 3 volume history of Burnley. I had a shufti but unfortunately it has no index.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
yungfil

Post by yungfil »

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the post. I've tried both these sources with no luck. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that Blakey was a forunner or perhaps an alternative name for Blacko - Warner agrees with this in his History of Barnoldswick. I've got JAC's Admergill book on order - that may give me some more info.

Cheers
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you may be right, good luck with the search!
In six months in some entirely unrelated matter you'll trip over the answer in the long grass......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”