Brigg family Bracewell & Barnoldswick

rasbo

Brigg family Bracewell & Barnoldswick

Post by rasbo »

I am posting this in the hope that someone might be able to help me to unlock a giant puzzle. It relates to the family of Christopher Brigg and quite possibly to a Brown family of Bracewell and Barnoldswick. I have access to the various parish records online but they appear to be extremely piecemeal and missing many marriages, unless someone knows better.
My interest is that I am currently researching the history of Beckenham in Kent and as a result of my research I have happened upon the wills of Benjamin Browne 1778 and his sister Mary Hawkesworth 1798 (Benjamin (Gent) inherited land in Beckenham and jointly owned another property with his sister in Bromley).
Both wills refer to Hannah Brigg widow of Bracewell being a sister of their mother who would have been named Browne after marriage. Mary Hawkesworth nee Browne was reputedly the daughter of a Bromley butcher named John Brown but I have no parish information to support this. What I do have in her will is a carefully worded detail of who various relatives were.
Hannah Brigg of Bracewell widow of Christopher Brigg (who died 1731) - my aunt (sister of my mother) & mother of :
Mary abt 1720 marries Christopher Lingard in Clapham Surrey in 1746 (6 children) and later in 1764 Thomas Hoskin
Benjamin 1723 who marries firstly Elizabeth Baldwin producing 9 children and the Isabel Wilson producing another 6. Mary Hawkesworth has been keeping them from absolute poverty for years.
John 1726 marries Elizabeth Smith (no marriage data) John dies 1778 (5 children at least two marry in London), Elizabeth appears to be still living in 1788.
Elizabeth 1732 marries Benjamin Smith 1751 at Bracewell and later Thomas Cawcroft 1770 London
Also Mr & Mrs Smith who have been assisting me in the care of the orphan children of Benjamin. Their granddaughter Charlotte Brigg (of John Brigg & Elizabeth Smith ) married Jeremiah Thomas Roberts 1788 in Soho, London.
A number of the marriages mentioned do not appear anywhere I can see but perhaps being local you might have other ideas. Certainly I know that Mary Hawkesworth’s husband attended quaker meetings in London though latterly seems to have returned to CofE so maybe there are records there (again lost).
So I would be very grateful for any information anybody may be able to offer, surely it must be possible to find the maiden name of Mary & Hannah.
Keith
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Brigg family Bracewell & Barnoldswick

Post by Stanley »

Morning Keith, welcome to the site, you are in the right place to get answers if they exist, we have some good ferrets in the membership. Keep logging in and watching the topic...... they will get their teeth into this.
Briggs and Bracewell are both local names.
A Christopher Briggs was an appraiser in the inventory of John Dugdell who died in 1712
Christopher Brigg noted as elector and freeholder of Barlick in 1741
Widow Ellen Brigg paid Land Tax of 2/- in 1753, 4?- in 1756, 1757 and 1760 then 3/- in 1770.
Richard Brigg paid Land Tax 1753 3/-, 1756, 57 and 60 13/6 and 1770 10/-.
Look in the LTP for the evidence of Harold Duxbury and read of his early years and his father's partnership with William Briggs. I have an idea you'll find something in there.
Put Briggs in the site search on the masthead picture and chase the references that come up.
Good hunting!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Perhaps we should explain, LTP refers to The Lancashire Textile Project 2013 link on the site from the Index page.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry Keith, Ian is quite right. You can download anything that interests you and once on your HDD it can be searched which makes things easier.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”