Gisburn Road Infants and Primary School

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Gisburn Road Infants and Primary School

Post by PanBiker »

I have been contacted by a member regarding a post of mine on the old site. It was from LIzG who lives in Australia where she moved with her family in 1967. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Holdsworth and the family used to live at the Limes. Her older sister, Julia I think, was a member on the old site and we discussed Dobsons Dairies along with the discussion on the school photos. The old thread is not accessible on the archive so I am reposting these pictures so Liz can see how we used to look 50 years ago. The first one is my class from 1959 and the second is a photo that Nigel Broughton asked me to put up which is the class of 1965.

Liz, I am on the front row at the left next to Lynn Pounder, Wendy Ferguson is next with her dolly and then next to her is Blair Villiers who you mentioned in your PM. Sarah is on the second row in the polka dot dress looking all shy. I can edit more names in if you want them.

Here is Nigel's class from 1965 (last year before leaving).
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gisburn Road Infants and Primary School

Post by Stanley »

Whatever happened to white ankle socks.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

These are fanatastic Ian. There are some faces I recognise but the names escape me for the moment. Who is the boy in Nigel's photo, second back row, 3rd from the right? If you can post more names I would be grateful.

I will come back to the site when I have a bit more time today with more questions. Thank you again.

Liz

BTW my older sister is Jill and younger sister Judy.
Liz
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I knew your sisters were J's but forgot it was Jill that posted on the site before.

The lad you asks about is David Wiseman. Along that same row from left to right, Geoff Askew, Carl Foster, Alan? Brown, Ian Fletcher, Howard Ormerod, Trevor Hartley, Bob Brown, --?--, David Wiseman, --?--, last lad is either Michael Collins or David Mitchell.

Nigel who's photo it is said that he wrote all the nanes on the back, we had them on the old site but the links are broken to that old thread now so I can only go from memory. Nigel is third from the left on the back row, --?--, Pete Neve, --?--, --?--, Blair Villiers, --?--

One thing I could never fathom about this photo is that quite a few of these were in my class but not all. I am not on this one so I was either away when it was taken (which could be a possibility) as I don't have a copy of this photo, or it was not a single class photo, but if so, why a mixture?

Quite a few are also on the 1959 photo of mine, some were in the same group all the way through from infants to leaving primary.
Ian
mball

Post by mball »

Here's another Gisburn Road picture
Malcolm Ball Junior School Photo.jpg
Mal Ball
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mal Ball
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Malcolm, your picture is the same year as mine by the look of it but a different class. I recognise one or two from here. How are you anyway, recently shared one of your pictures on my FB site.

Pete Neve, Geoff Askew and Val Pitman on the front row for starters, can't remember the twins names though? Not my class but all known at one time or another in the playground.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Here's another picture from Gisburn Road. I reckon this one is about 1961 or 62.

I am beaming out at the top left. :smile:

I have copied it from Gus's recent post on Barnoldswick and Barlickers Then and Now - FB Page
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Mar 2016, 11:49 Here's another picture from Gisburn Road. I reckon this one is about 1961 or 62.

I am beaming out at the top left. :smile:

I have copied it from Gus's recent post on Barnoldswick and Barlickers Then and Now - FB Page
I have just reworked this thread and updated the image references. I will add the names I can remember to this one.

Next to me from left to right is John Midgley, Nigel Broughton, -?- , Michael Collins, Ian Frankland, Chris Redsell, -?- Second row, I cant remeber the first lad but I think the second is John Heaton, Jack Pearce, -?-, Allan Jesson, -?-, David? Barnes, Stephen Pitman, Jimmy Ormerod, -?-, -?- Of the girls Rosemary Moore is third from the left then I think Lynne Pounder, -?-, Wendy Ferguson, cant place the rest apart from Christine Bateman second from the right, the girl at extreme right may be either Val Pitman or is it Val Wood?

Come to think about it and triggered by Thomo's post about Vernon Wood, I think that the girl at extreme left on Nigels picture and on the right above is Val Wood.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You mentioned Bob Brown in the 1965 photo Ian, is that the lad with his collar underneath his tie? That has to be my friend Margaret's husband, his grandson is the spitting image!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes Wendy right in the middle next to Trevor Hartley. Bobs dad is (was) Jim Brown he had the barbers shop on the small row just below the school at Dam Head, the shop still has the same use. Most of the lads, me included got sent to Jims, "Right lad what's it to be"?, "My dad said I just needed a trim", "OK that's fine, short back and sides it is then, zzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz, do you want a dab of Brylcreem"? :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, Brylcreem and Dennis Compton........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can smell it now but no longer have the hair to need it. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the time it was popular with bowlers because a quick wipe back of the hair meant you could wipe it on the ball and get a better grip...... More spin!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Alan Jesson

Post by Alan Jesson »

Hi Ian, Hope you are keeping well. I have just found the site and looked at some of the photo's. You are right about how the classes seemed to be mixed up. On Mal's photo the twins are the Wisemans (Stephen and David I think) who are one year older than us, yet sat next to them is Val Wood was our age. In the photo from 1961/2 the guy stood two to my left is Alan Richards. Regards
Alan Jesson
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love it when these old threads pop up again.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Alan, thanks for registering and posting. Two heads definitely better than one when recalling everyone on 50 odd year old photos. I hope you are keeping well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just revisited this thread as I see Nigel Broughton looks to have re registered on the site, one of his pictures earlier in the thread.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

he mailed me yesterday and I told him to dive in and start posting! Nice to see him back, he says he has been busy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Beruff

Post by Beruff »

Hi all,

Yes, I have a bit more time on my hands now, so I'll contribute to this topic again.

Here is a repeat of the photo which we think was taken in 1965, in our last year at Gisburn Road.

At the time, I wrote the names of my class mates on the back, so in the interests of authenticity, here is what I wrote

These are the first names as I remember them, but feel free to correct and add where you can.

Lyndsay Pullan, Martin Cobb, Nigel Broughton, Mark Whittingham, Peter Neave, S Fletcher, Ian Theodore, Blair Villiers, ? Hoyle.

Geoffrey Askew, ? Foster, Alan Brown, Ian Fletcher, Howard Omerod, Trevor Hartley, Bob Brown, Michael Smith, David Wiseman, Michael Collins, David Mitchell.

Sarah Foulkes, ? Thorpe, ? Jackson, ? Reid, ? Laycock, Linda Nolan, Julia Rumboll, ? Batman, Lesley Nelson, ? Harrison, ? Williams

? Wood, Susan Morley, ? Black, Anne Kippax, ? Malkin, Greta Lancaster (Bomber, sorry Greta)

I'm not sure why some seem to have been omitted on the photo. I'm sure I was at school with Elizabeth Holdsworth who contributed to this thread earlier. And Alan Bickley.

Hope this stirs a few memories for my old friends

Nigel
Beruff

Post by Beruff »

I also have an earlier one which I am guessing would have been 1959 or 1960.

I can see Ian Theodore, top right, ?Alan Bickley next to him, ?, ?, Ian Frankland, then I'm missing a few. I think, front and centre is Greg Simmonds, then around that front table, Alan Brown, Michael Duffy and Nigel Broughton.

Can anyone remember the teacher's name and any of the others?

Cheers

Nigel
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can fill one or two in Nigel:

Of the lads, Martin Foster

Girls, Jackie Laycock and I think it was Christine Bateman (not Batman) and was it Patricia Reid? and Julia Thorpe?

I think classes must have been split in the last year as I was in the same class at some point as a lot of the lads and quite a few of these girls but I'm not on here so either ill or in a different class. I always thought that I was in the same class as Pete Neave, (we have the same birthday) in the last year though which would have been this one.

Second picture is a good one, cant remeber the teacher though unless is was Mrs Smith. She was fairly nasty to me in the last year. I remeber Mrs Pullan though she was taller and very nice, she's on the 59 photo I put up.
Ian
Beruff

Post by Beruff »

Yes, Martin Foster and Christine Bateman sound right and I can't remember the others.

Isn't it funny how memories either change or we remember them differently.

I always thought Mrs Pullan was fierce, or nowadays we might say feisty. She was a red head, wasn't she? - although nothing against red heads as my mother, wife, one son and daughter are all in that category.

Mrs Smith was the kind, elderly lady and she may have retired in '65 when we left.

One thing which struck me when I was back in Barlick recently was how busy that roundabout is outside the school and how aggressive the driving is around it!

Let's see if anyone else responds with some memories.

Nigel
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see you back Nigel.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Beruff wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 23:56 Mrs Smith was the kind, elderly lady
Well, that kind elderly lady made me stand on a chair in front of all my classmates and ridiculed me for refusing to go to Grammar School even though I passed my 11 plus exam. She said I was ungrateful and was wasting my life. I have never forgotten that.

As it turned out I went to the Modern School left at 16 did a 5 year City and Guilds apprenticeship into a trade. That trade allowed me to get married buy a house and raise three kids and put food on the table, never been rich but I have generally been happy. Water under the bridge now but I will never forget the abuse of an 11 year old kid.

Mrs Pullan was fierce or feisty but fair which did a lot more for me than being told you are a failure before you start.
Ian

Return to “Local Folks Memoirs”