A LOAD OF PIG SWILL

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A LOAD OF PIG SWILL

Post by Stanley »

A LOAD OF PIG SWILL

Once more food waste is in the news as prices rise and our future looks uncertain. Unfortunately we have educated generations of younger people into believing that if the 'sell-by' date on food is passed it immediately becomes poisonous and a danger to life! How often have you selected a perfectly edible item and on reaching the checkout have been informed that they can't sell it because it's out of date? Anyone over a certain age knows with certainty that this is nonsense and a waste of perfectly good food. I see there are murmurings in some quarters suggesting that supermarkets should have a section designated as 'buy at your own risk' and I fully approve. I was taught by my mother to use my eyes and my nose and that a layer of mould on top of home-made jam was 'just penicillin' and only needed skimming off. After all we welcome the mould in blue cheese and relish the taste. I grew up healthy with no allergies and suspect that this healthy attitude to food had something to do with it!
When food is regarded even by me as waste it still has a value. There was a time when we allowed the collection of waste food from school kitchens, institutions and and hotels to be boiled and converted into pig swill, a valuable source of nutrition. In 2003 the European Union banned the use of swill in response to the Foot and Mouth outbreak of 2001. It would have made far more sense to continue its use but inspect the processing of it far more rigorously. Instead it now has to be either incinerated or dumped in landfill, each of these is bad for the environment. Marshall's at Bradley ran a successful pig-feeding operation for years based on regular collections of waste food which was boiled with skim milk and ground barley to make a lovely porridge that smelled good enough for human consumption and the pigs loved it. I used to deliver skim milk to them and saw the operation and it was a lovely use of a valuable resource.
Modern production control methods and recording are routinely used in the dairy and food processing industries and there is no reason why the same technology can't be used in pig feeding. One thing is certain, it would make economic sense for the industry as the prices of feed rise and pigs are fed on food diverted from the human food chain.
There is another precedent, the concept of the 'cottage pig'. At one time it was common for a family to keep a pig or some hens and feed them all the food waste from the house with the addition of some cereals. Once a year the pig was killed and salted and the resulting bacon and ham kept well and was a valuable part of the diet. I have been the recipient of bacon from this source during my life and it beat the shop version hands down! Waste not want not!

The cottage pig.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: A LOAD OF PIG SWILL

Post by PanBiker »

We have a share in a Silsden pig, your photo looks very similar to where ours will be reared. Better make some room in the freezer. :extrawink:
Ian
BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

My first employer was Billy Butlins who had their own pig farm and collected all the swill from the camp kitchens.
I thought the swill collection got linked to one of the pig diseases getting transferred between farms.

I agree with Stanley's views on healthy exposure to bacteria and I try to get a bit of earth with my homegrown a an added source of minerals.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Then there are the other micro-nutrients and minerals in good soil. You can be too clean! I never peel vegetables if the skin is not blemished, boiling water sterilizes them and there is more nutrition in the skin.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Found this amusing- I opened the <new posts> today and saw "What did we have for tea?" - The topic directly below it was "A load of Pig Swill" :biggrin2:

I took a screenshot but haven't been able to find it on my computer, the joys of Windoze 10, it's so easy on a Mac.

[image]https://screenshots.firefoxusercontent. ... 1a69ae.png[/image]
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The swill Marshall's used to feed at Bradley was definitely good enough to eat!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

As a nipper in Yorkshire my mates uncle had pigeons he kept in a hut in his pen"not a biro", he also kept a pig for killing and had built a set pot for cooking pig swill, we often raided it for boiled spuds and other things, to date 70+ yrs. later i haven't felt the ill effects !!
BillHowcroft
Donor

Post by BillHowcroft »

My farmer colleague says they used to get scrap biscuits as pig swill when he was a kid and they used to sort out some of the better ones for themselves. His dad still has one pig and the house next to his is unoccupied with an orchard. He was loading windfall plums into a wheelbarrow as a treat for it.

When we had the rural house in Spain here was a fig tree in the bottom corner. The wild pigs in the surrounding scrub go mad for figs and the piglets would start under the chainlink fence and the parents would then expand the gap. Once they'd finished off the figs they would root through the flower beds where it was damp and had bulbs and worms. Very destructive.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We used to deliver a lot of skim milk and whey to Rex Patterson's pig feeding operation at Birstall. They got waste from biscuit factories and manufacturers of chocolate and confectionery. We often brought home bags of broken biscuits, misshapen chocolates and sweets for the kids. When they fed chocolate to the pigs in the sweat boxes it melted and the pigs used to be covered in it......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and even more pertinent today than it was five years since. I hear there is talk about reversing to swill ban but as usual the politicians are so slow. Our waste should be going into the pigs and the industry should be more flexible about carcass sizes. Food shortages are looming and eventually we shall be dragged kicking and screaming back to the reality of the cottage pig and hens scratching in the back yard.
(I can see allotments becoming a priority.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Feeding costs have gone even higher since I wrote this and it is definitely time we looked at pig swill again. As I said above, politicians are so slow......
So bumped again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”