SALTERFORTH PART TWO

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SALTERFORTH PART TWO

Post by Stanley »

SALTERFORTH 02

I start with a bit of a puzzle. The picture this week is a marker stone that stands on the North side of Cross Lane close to the village. I have to say that I need a bit of convincing that it is a genuine marker. Apart from the paint, I don't see any signs of weathering and from the script one would guess at an age of perhaps three hundred years. Further, I have never come across the name Musghyll Gate before. The meaning of gate is right, it was the word used for a way or road, think of Cross Gaits pub at Blacko and the spelling of 'layne' is contemporary. However, 'ghyll' causes me a bit of a problem, the common spelling of this in the 17th and 18th centuries is usually 'gill' but not exclusively so. I would have guessed at 'Musgil' as a spelling at that time, less carving apart from anything else. Sorry to start on a negative note but my mind is open and I'd love to be convinced.
My information for Salterforth up to the latter part of the 18th century is sparse. 'Saltreford' is mentioned in Domesday (1086/87), 'Salterford' in the Close Rolls for 1241 and the same spelling again in the Kirkstall papers between 1216 and 1272 (Henry III). My local knowledge is limited to the names of some families I know were living there. However, even a negative report can tell us something. Let's go back to 1580. The earliest map I have ever found of the area is the 1580/81 map which was drawn up for use as evidence in a dispute between Tempest et al tenants of Barnoldswick versus Bannester et al tenants of Foulridge in the Duchy of Lancaster court (Tempest and Bannester were the respective Lords of the Manor. If you want to see the original go to the Record Office at Preston and ask for 3437. Barnoldswick. 1580/81. Page 507. (DL 31/106)) The map is crude but accurate and shows a lane leading down from High Lane down to the village called Salterford Layne. The village itself is roughly the same size as Barlick was at that date. I know that we are all certain that Salterforth is far older than these dates but if we are trying to nail the history down we must take notice of the firm evidence which shows quite clearly that for over a thousand years the village quietly went about its business farming the land, engaging in the cottage textile trade no doubt and catering for the travellers across what must have been, in those days, a busy cross roads.
One thing puzzles me in all this. Like Earby, Salterforth never had an early church and one wonders how far they had to walk to worship. Remember that Elizabeth I's Conformity Act passed in 1559 made church attendance theoretically compulsory until 1650 when the requirement was removed. The Earby parishioners had to walk to Thornton, one supposes that the Salterforth parishioners would go to Gill Church at Barlick which was nearer. One interesting result of this was that when the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company started working Rainhall Rock quarry in about 1800 and cut through the footpath from Salterforth to Gill they had to erect a very substantial bridge over the quarry to preserve the right of way. One other thing puzzles me, we have seen from the report in the Craven Herald of 1930 that Salterforth Parish Council existed as the official local government, how do you have a Parish Council without a parish? The only thing I can suppose is that by that time the name was more administrative than ecclesiastical. (And yes, you're right, there is an awful lot I don't know!) The lack of a church may explain why a Quaker Meeting House was established in the village in 1726 and survived until 1989.
By the end of the 18th century we start to find firmer ground. The Bracewells at Coates and others in Barlick had erected water powered textile mills and were producing roving for the cottage spinners. It's worth mentioning that there is no evidence to suggest that they used the Arkwright frame for making yarn. The cottage textile industry was very important and almost every farm and cottage in Salterforth would be either spinning yarn or weaving cloth. At first this would be predominantly wool but by the early 19th century cotton had almost supplanted the old trade based mainly on the merchants at the Cloth Hall in Colne. This trade expanded due to increased demand in the mid 16th century and many historians attribute the rise in population that started then to higher levels of earnings from the wool trade. This also explains part of the reason behind the 1580 dispute between Barlick and Foulridge and the early enclosures on the waste earlier in the century. There is every reason to suspect that Salterforth was a prosperous little village in the latter part of the 18th century subject no doubt to fluctuations in the textile trade.
Further afield, there was a spirit of innovation and invention. What we now call the Industrial Revolution was beginning to transform industry and ways of working. With increased trade there came a demand for better means of transport and from 1700 onwards the answer was 'inland navigation', the canals. In 1765 John Stanhope proposed a canal from Leeds to Preston and the line was surveyed by John Longbotham. After discussion the line was modified, terminated in Liverpool and an Act of Parliament authorising the work was passed in 1770. In 1790 there was a further modification to the route which brought the summit level from Gargrave to Barrowford through Barlick and Salterforth so as to take advantage of the water supplies available from Whitemoor. By 1792 the works were under way and in 1796 Foulridge Tunnel was opened completing the section.
I have always thought that the building of the canal through Barlick and Salterforth must have been a tremendous shock to the district. The only thing I can think of which remotely compares would have been if the Normans had built a castle! Of course this never happened but the building of the canal and its effect on the district was to be a transformation of Salterforth's prospects. If ever a place was dragged kicking and screaming into the 19th century it was Salterforth! We'll have a look at what happened and try to assess the consequences next week.

The marker stone on Cross Lane.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
elise

Re: SALTERFORTH PART TWO

Post by elise »

The guide stone was discovered in a garden in an old farm house near Newchurch-in-Pendle in April 2000. Local historian Nick Livsey of Klondyke restored and installed it. The prefix MUS in the name Musghyll can mean either MICE or MOSS.

SALTREFORD in the Domesday Book is not “our” Salterforth but a farm house called Salterford north east of Nottingham.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right on Saltreford of course. Earliest ref i have is Salterford 1216 Kirkstall. How was the rest of the piece?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Hi Stanley and other members,

Its Nick from Salterforth, I've just joined so bare with me as this is all a bit new to me... re: Salterforths History, please if you want to know owt about Sodom..? ask us that live here and know the place very well... either myself, Muriel or Kevin Pollard. The term 'Sodom' Sodomers' or as known here pre-1870 'Sodom Maypolers' the latter affixed to the old maypole which stood on maypole square opposite the old Tithe Barn or West End Barn... the old maypole was vandalised by lads from Barlick in 1870 and had to be taken down, and the maypole was stored in West End Barn until it was converted into a house in the early 1980's by Brain Metcalffe and became lost during those works, the base still survives today under the cobbles in the square. The term; Sodom refers to the biblical tales of Sodom and Gamora and the strong connections with being turned into Salt and its trade, also because there were so many religious denominations here in a small village outsiders thought they must be real 'sodomers' and needed so much guideance from above... Quakers/ Inghamites/ Methodists/ Baptists/ and the long lost medieval chapel of ease- Church of England, which was part of the farm complex of Broadstones Farm, which incidently used to be an Inn called the 'Holy Lamb Inn' during the 18th and early 19th centuries after which its name changed to 'The Plough Inn' it ceased as a wayside inn by circa 1820...

During the recent planning application for that site at Silentnight, we had to put forward as much evidence as we could from folklore and first hand witness evidence of the finding of an ancient burial ground when the new dyke was dug during the construction of the New Road past Harry Street/ Broadstones during the early 1930's... because some of the development risked foundations being dug in to the burial ground and the loss of the village carpark which is above the burial ground. There are no records anywhere of the burials which leads us to firmly believe that is was a medieval burial ground (possibly set up during the Black Death) connected with the 'chapel of ease' a satellite chapel of Gill (Brogden had the same set-up), for they wouldnt want to cart the many dead over a mile to inter at Gill. Or the burial ground may have been a very early Baptist's burial ground before they joined with the Barnoldswick Baptisits but again there are no records only folklore memories. As Frank Fisher used to tell me; folklore tales are the truth! and the written word is only what someone wants others to know!! and you know the more I discover the more I'm leaning towards his thinking, his passing was a sad loss to our old ways of telling...

The Mushyll Guide Stoop, yes it was rescued by me from landscapers working in a garden near Newchurch-in-Pendle in 2000, it was used as a garden step and was quite badly worn, and believe me it took some negoiating to acquire this back for our village! I re-cut some of letters that were worn and painted it for it did have traces of white paint on it.. and through my research; I have in my possesion the 18th and early 19th century deeds for 'Far Hey Farm' I know where the 'Musghyll' is... its the small gill that runs down the side of what we know as 'Bob Preston Hill' from Kayfield towards the canal. And the name means; 'mouse gill' or 'small gill' hence the term Musghyll Gate, gate; meaning in this instance an actual 'Gate' and not road... it was the end of the enclosed road proper and from there onwards towards Coates, it was previously a bridleway and originally traversed through open common grazing lands' Summer height at Rainhall refers to this practise of pasturing stock on open common land away from the enclosed townfields in the late medieval period and probably wasnt enclosed until the 17th century, thus Musghyll Gate was the gate at the end of the lane. The same situation coocured at Dumphill Gate, near Rain Hall Rock Quarry.

When I decided to place this stone in its most logical of places, Alice Wood and May Smith walked by as did a small but very smartly dressed old gentleman from barnoldswick history society (wearing a beree and stick) and he told us that his grandfather remembers this stone being stolen from here in the late 1890's and he had a tear in his eye and thanked me for restoring it to its rightful home... I didnt want to make a fuss of its restoration for I know thieves do steal these kinds of things. As for the stone being genuine I think it is... I see no reason why not! and who would go to the extremes of stealing it back in 1890's and why???? its carving is very vernacualr, crude and illiterate, but thats how things were carved by simple folk tasked to do so back then... I firmly belive it dates to the late 17th century/ early 18th. Even on vernacular houses with dated doorheads like 'Lane Ends Farm' in Salterforth some of the letters are accidently or deliberately reversed!

Local folklore also says there was a similar guide stone placed at the top of Salterforth Drag, with the junction of High/Higher lane (this was removed or buried nearby during the first world war) dont forget that the road from Lane Head Inn (Fanny Grey) across to Wood End did not exist until the Colne to Horton Bridge County Road was joined up and improved around 1810, the previous old route was along the pack-horse track from Letcliffe/Dyehouse past the quarries to Woodend and down to the County Brook packhorse bridge... this is the ancient medieval packhorse way from Colne to Barnoldswick. The more ancient Salt route follows almost the same route as the canal does now, and appears next to the canal at various points along it ways to Green Hill/ Wanless before descending down to the ford at Salterforth.

The name Musghyll also appears in the 'Bagshaw Papers' and manorial court records, infact the musgill bridle road, was upgraded by the manorial court into a Hackney Causeway during July 1769 giving it full rights for wheeled traffic and thereby taking maintenance costs in to the public domain and away from the owners of Rainhall Farm and that status is still legal today and David Whipps intention to downgrade this route is unjustified because it can be proved from documents 'It is a legal 'unclassified white lane' maintanable at public expense... its deteroation since 1930's is down to the fact the Barnoldswick New Road took away its traffic... the same can be said for the old sunken lane from Salterforth up to Higher and Lower Park.

The occupation bridge over Rainhall Cut was said to have been built to allow access to Gill Church for Salterforth folk and as an occupation bridge for Rainhall Farm and its construction was supervised by a Mr Sugden of Colne, who used to walk there everyday from Colne. The old Rayne Hall was demolished in 1861 and I'm lucky enough to have in my possesion the only photograph known... showing part of this 17th century mansion still standing during its final days of demolition. I rember as a kid standing on this bridge as Mr Dinsdale drove across in his tractor and the bridge used to sway!!! I believe it was knocked down in 1989.

Any comments I'd love to hear them... and again if you want to know anything about Salterforth just ask...

ps Salterforth does not appear in Domesday for it only lists the manors, who held them and the area under plough and Salterforth Township was part of the Manor of Barnoldswick. The earliest reference I have for Salterford is from the monk; Serlo (who narrated his tales to Hugh de kirkstall in 1207) Serlo being one of the orignal monks sent to establish the abbey under the White Hill in the manor of Barnoldswick, he stated: "Elwynthorp was removed and Salterforth has arisen since" I fully believe this to mean the origanl site of a group of farms and land was taken over by the monks to establish the abbey site and the ousted tennants meant that the faming community around Salterforth grew because of the influx of ousted tennants and a village nucleated around the ford. Dont forget that Salterforth was equal or greater to Barnoldswick in productive land and a similar population size and was just as important. Its just Barnoldswick had the original saxon church and manor site...
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

please do accept my appologies for the spelling mistakes, my fingers were typing faster than my brain could think! I do need a better key board... I keep catching the wrong keys!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Very informative Nick, thanks for the post. I would just like to confirm one thing, are you referring to the former Rainhall Rock Viaduct that used to "sway"? It was (is) a very substantial piece of construction and I cannot for the life in me think that this would sway under the weight of a tractor!

That structure was not knocked down but is still there, although buried along with the landfill that the site was used for from the late 1960's. The parapets were removed when the cutting was filled to the same level as the surrounding fields. The rest of the structure is actually intact and will no doubt delight some future historians when they rediscover it along with all the domestic treasures that were shoved in there over a 25 year period.
Ian
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Thanks Ian,

Yes the viaduct did used to sway! I was on there with my dad back in mid 70's when Diny came across on his tractor... it was only single lane, and quite narow for such a tall and long structure! it was very strong vertically but in the horizontal plane it was a bit waffy... and the weight of tractor and muck spreader lurching for side to side did set in motion you could feel it as we lent on the parrapet walls. It was afterall only designed for horse and cart... Same goes for the Tower at St Marys' Thornton-in-Craven you would think that it was very solid but when all the bells as swinging the tower actually does move! I know this, for I helped to install the bells in 1999 and recorded the whole event on my camcorder. The info about Mr Sugden came from Mary Mitchell of Bawmier Farm and he was a distant relative on her side of the family.

I had recollections of them bulldozing what was left after landfill and yes the arches and legs are now underground. The history of this Rock quarry makes fascinating reading... and the lime had many uses and was a profitable venture thanks to easy transportation access by the canal following behind the cutting as it progressed. I do believe that the road (Ben Lane) tunnel did collapse back in the 1960's... I'm quite suprised that no one has ever thought of reconnecting to the canal and using it as a marina! the Barnsey tunnel is still there although much bowed and perhaps unsafe? as is the actual canal cutting now back filled down the back of the old Barnsey Shed site, although the canal towpath stone bridge was removed and would have to be replaced if such a scheme was viable? its a shame its not used for liesure, but it was much fun for us kids cycling around the tracks and risking life and limb on rope swings hung off the trees... Another name used by us sodomers for the Musghyll Gate road is 'Rocky Tops'
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I used to fish the rock when I was a lad and myself and my brother had traversed the tunnel under Ben Lane in the morning that it collapsed in the afternoon. There were better fish at the other side of the lane as it was not fished regularly. We used to get to the normal stretch from Barnsey through the tunnel at that end as well. An earlier recollection from the 1950's was our dog Lassie (a border collie) walking on the parapet and jumping off to chase a rabbit she saw down at the bottom she landed in the water, swam to the side and scrambled back up no worse for wear!
Ian
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Gordon Bennet... thats one heck of a leap! it must have been at least 60ft or 70ft maybe more? its amazing she wasnt hurt... I can just remember it before they started to use it as a landfill site and it was an awe-inspiring view, I will try to upload the photo of the Old Rayne Hall as it was being demolished, apparently the cellars are still there under ground but mostly filled in.. it was an impressive early 17th century house with wings/ mullion windows, its a real shame it had to be taken down and a new farm built where it stands now, some of the timbers were re-used in the new build but the mullioned windows were not re-used and the walling stone used for the boundary drystone walls around the quarry. The new Rainhall Farmhouse was built from dressed limestone from the quarry and was laid watershot & coursed, now an impressive building in its own right..

Research the old name of 'Rayne Hall' and its name becomes clear when you discover what it means, I know it... but I set you a challenge

One of my projects; because I have never discovered a tithe map drawn for either Salterforth or Barnoldswick (although legend has it a map of sorts was within the records at Gill Church but has dissapeared) is; collecting the old field names of my Parish and I now have over 70% of it covered, this has meant researching private documents/ deeds and many other sources and has taken me many years!!!! lots of the names are medieval in origin and speak volumes when tied in with other folklore and evidence. I also have two copies of the transfer of tithes of Gillkirke- Barnoldswick/ Salterforth and Brogden dated 1578 but they are in monkish latin, and I'm struggling to decipher them! so if any member can read monkish latin then I'd be fascinated to learn what is in these documents....? they are from LCC Record Office; DDPT 45 Box 5
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely stuff Nick. I love it when my general pieces drag specific evidence out of the undergrowth. Thanks for the full story of the way-marker. I think you may have triggered my doubts when you re-cut it but that doesn't matter. There are ten articles in all and some of the things you mention pop up so how about commenting on each of them as they pop up? All valuable information and it will be searchable once it's on the site.
I've read most of Serlo's story as recounted by Hugh of Kirkstall and must have missed the bit about Elwynthrop, it's been puzzling me for years. The nearest I ever got is that the name was also used for Ellenthorpe at Gisburn.
As for the burial ground, the planners were quite short with me when I raised the possibility with them. I fear they don't want to know. They assured me it didn't exist..... the County Archaeologist says there is no evidence! Keep an eye on the buggers when they are digging!
Lovely stuff! Keep a close eye on me, I never claim to be right.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Hi Stanley,
Thanks for the email, hope you are keeping well, its been a few years since we last met. The burial ground does exist as I wrote down statements and personally interviewed a number of people who actually worked on the construction of the New Road and the dyke which cut through the burial ground, the last of them to die was Allen King... and he installed in me just how important it was to remember that when the workers confronted the bosses of Barlick Urban Distirct Council (who had thier offices in the old schoolhouse at the time) told the workers to hush-up the finding of skeletons & the remains of coffins, and were forcibly told to put the tale around they were only horse and cow bones or they would be sacked!!! I have written many pages about this... and I will write it out fully for other members to read... It was scandlous that they would cover up such.. but it was during the depression, jobs were hard to find and the construction of the road was way behind and costing a lot more than first estimated, so much so Tubber Hill Quarry actually went bankrupt for they wrongly estimated the amount of stone needed but were obliged to fullfil the contract, the soft ground towards Kelbrook just swallowed the stone because of the silty and peaty nature, eventually they used a wooden rafter platfrom to build the road on... to float the road! When John Kay built the houses at Sykes Close he had to plie the foundations and the piles had to be driven over 70ft down to reach the bedrock through glacial sands, boulder clay, silts and peat.

Dont worry, I have worked on archeaological digs before, and if we ever spot any fragments of bone I will shut down the work and get County archeaologists in... John Blades will also be keeping a very close eye on any works, I as a child whilst building dams in the beck once uncovered part of a skull under the turf and stones lining the bankings, so there are still remains under there! I also have in my possesion a piece of gravestone from the site with the name Boothman of Salterforth and the date march 1739, it was found when the concrete bridge was built, although it may have been tipped there from elsewhere...

We were not completely against the development, but we had to prevent disturbance of those souls at rest and secure the carpark for the village which thanks to Broughton Properties, we achieved... to a degree. Yes I was annoyed that Pendle Planning officers were not taking this matter seriously enough........
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I will just pop a little snippet in to this increasingly fascinating topic, courtesy of the British Libraries 19th Century Newspapers.
From the Lancaster Gazette & General Advertiser of Saturday, August 25th, 1804

YORKSHIRE.
RAIN -HALL.
TO BE SOLD,
At the house of Mrs Hargreaves, The New Red Lion, In Colne, in the County of Lancaster, on WEDNESDAY the 12th day of September, 1804, (pursuant to such conditions as will be then and there produced)
ALL that valuable compact FREEHOLD and TITHE FREE ESTATE, called RAIN-HALL, most advantageously situated, within the townships of Salterforth and Barnoldswick, in the county of York,within half a mile of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, and about five miles from Colne, and seven miles from Skipton; now in the occupation of Richard Wilkinson, as tenant thereof; consisting of a good mansion-house, with convenient barns and outbuildings, all in good repair, and of about 80 acres, customary measure, of very rich arable, meadow, and pasture land, divided into convenient fields.
The estate is exonerated from the land-tax, and the tithes were a few years ago purchased of Lord Petre. There are good lime-stone quarries upon the estate, and the stones or lime may be conveyed to the Canal, on a side-cut adjoining the estate, belonging to the Company, paying a reasonable tonnage and, though the estate is compact, it makes a very considerable part of the out-fence.
*RICHARD WILKINSON, the tenant, will shew the premises; and any further particulars may be had by applying to Messrs. CARR and SONS, attornies, in Settle & Kirkby Lonsdale.
[This will be no more advertised.]*

In the same paper three years earlier the property was advertised to let amongst a number of farms belonging to Thomas Lister Parker,
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Also of note for you; People have been buried in Salterforth since the bronze age; the old cottages that stood on the site of the 1903 Baptisit Chapel were known as Barrows Hill and foklore holds it was the site of bronze age burial mounds on top of this small hill cheek by jowl with the flood plain (a very typical site for such burial on the edge of water, a subliminal place between the living and dead). The old name for 'the bridlepath' (past Inghamite Chapel and The Barracks) was called 'the barrow path' later called 'McGintys Back' named after the last working packhorse trader at the time.. there was also another burial mound near to Klondyke at Hack Field and was known as 'The Giants Grave' this oblong raised mound surrounded by a low stone wall and boulders, topped with hawthorn trees was ploughed away during the second world war, by the farmer... and a violent lightning storm arose when he was part way through the job! the gods were going to strike him down! he feared... The new housing opposite built by John Kay was very nearly was named after 'The Giants Grave' in a vote for naming the site by the Parish Council but 'Sykes Close' just beat it...

Our landscape that surrounds us is much older than most people imagine... same goes for most places on fertile productive land that has a south, south western facing aspect.

That is interesting that Lord Petre of Dunkehalgh bought the tithes to Rain Hall farm and that it was free from Land Tax, I wonder why? am I correct in thinking that only land that was former monastic/ Templar land or land owned by the crown was free from the land tax...? if so then it is possibly the site of a former grange? I know of other farms that had a similar status locally and were likely to have once been in monastic ownership but its difficult to prove for sure... as the documents to prove such have been lost over the centuries. I think that in the ealry years the Abbey did hold large areas for sheep rearing away from the arable of the small villages... but during the late 13th/ early 14th centuries they let go of the running of them and transfered ownership or management of them to the landed gentry and other abbeys. Oh if only they had made a better go of it! we would have had a lovely abbey somewhere beneath the 'White Hill' for what its worth all the evidence of landscape features, roads, tracks and water courses point to three site for the abbey: Admergill/ Green Hill-Whitemoor at Salterforth or between Monkroyd and Brogden, a powerful water course and access to pasture and moor and good land for arable, being the most important needs along with isolation from the existing villages.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've been looking at the 1853 OS map discovering all the places you are talking about. I see that the section of lane going from Spen Head towards the junction with Cross Lane is called "Mucky Lane", is that a corruption of Musghyll? Does the new Pennine Bridleway follow that route? I shall have to get my boots on and take a walk in that direction.
elise

Post by elise »

As a lady who likes her pubs I am intrigued where the information re The Holy Lamb Inn and The Plough Inn came from.
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

elise wrote:As a lady who likes her pubs I am intrigued where the information re The Holy Lamb Inn and The Plough Inn came from.
Old trade directories/ voting lists/ deeds and folklore from the old generation of Salterforth who's grandparents and great grandaprents were around at the time and passed down the knowledge
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Wendyf wrote:I've been looking at the 1853 OS map discovering all the places you are talking about. I see that the section of lane going from Spen Head towards the junction with Cross Lane is called "Mucky Lane", is that a corruption of Musghyll? Does the new Pennine Bridleway follow that route? I shall have to get my boots on and take a walk in that direction.
Mucky Lane has a few legends associated with it; The Saterforth Town Stoops (the square posts at the end of the lane were put there in 1513 and are dated as such, they are infact coffin stoops on which bearers would rest the coffins on the march to Gill from Klondyke area or Sough/Kelbrook, (the last known person to be rested on them in a coffin was Frank Town when his coffin had to be sledged along Mucky Lane to Gill due to the roads being blocked by heavy snowfall (1967 I think?) the stoops also acted to stop carts from using the lane and two other stoops were errected at Spen Head end for the same purpose following renovation work in the 18th century when every landowner was duty bound to supply 3 cat loads of stone to resurface the lane. This ancient packhorse lane is so well preserved just because of the stoops and the purpose they serve, although technically it is a white road and not a bridleway! Yes the Pennine Bridleway does come down this lane... In 1993 the parish council erected another post because we had a number of idiots squeezing past the posts in their cars and trying to drive down the lane only getting stuck in the beck... and Albert Mitchell having to pull them out into the field with his tractor!!!

Some folk think Mucky Lane got its name as a place for lovers to meet, an urban myth..? yes, although it does happen!!! The name Mucky is a corruption of the field names that flank Bawmier Farm side of the lane: Mucka/ Mucka Mill Stacks & Nicka Stacks . 'Mucka' is medeival and refers to placing piles of manure in heaps ready to be spread by hand fork or shovel. Stacks is from the latin 'staca' meaning; a measure of corn or corn stack, so the land was in early the medieval period good arable land but was turned over to sheep grazing by the early medieval period and remained so... Despite Ezra Mitchells best attempts to plough out the 'rigs' these ancient rig and furrows are called 'Rood Rigs' with an average width of 33ft and gently curving in a reveresed 'S' shape, now best seen in very low sun/ short grass or snow melt.. they date from 300 A.D to no later than 1200 A.D infact the neighbouring field is called 'Butts Rood' dont be confused with 'Royd' that just means a clearing in the woodland/ wood pasture, Monkroyd in Barnoldswick; 'the monks clearing' for pasture. Rood can also means a measurement of a 1/4 acre of ploughland.

Its a very ancient landscape we live in and if you learn to read what you can see on the ground it can tell us so much... but we have lost a lot due to modern farming methods in the last 30 years!

Folklore also holds that there used to be a windmill between Earby and Salterforth in the late medieval period, and there is a suitable raised mound on the edge of the existing farm complex at Bawmier and corn drying kiln 'rackstones' can be found walled into White Jacket lathe nearby which was re-built by Jonathan Wilkinson of Higher Greene Hill in 1741. The Wilkinson-Bell family at one time owned nearly half the farms in Salterforth, the remainder by The Roundell's of Old Gledstone and Lord Petre of Dunkenhalgh. Only a few farms were owner occupied! but things started to change after the first world war....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful stuff! Oh that other local historians would follow your leads! Keep it up Nick, eight articles to come! I always tell my readers in the BET that they must take nothing I say as irrefutable fact, it's only my best shot and research always changes the conclusions. No such thing as a historical fact isn't a bad place to start!
Glad to see you're on the ball with the graveyard. My crap detector started to whine as soon as the shirty lady at planning told me the story was a myth......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Stanley wrote:Wonderful stuff! Oh that other local historians would follow your leads! Keep it up Nick, eight articles to come! I always tell my readers in the BET that they must take nothing I say as irrefutable fact, it's only my best shot and research always changes the conclusions. No such thing as a historical fact isn't a bad place to start!
Glad to see you're on the ball with the graveyard. My crap detector started to whine as soon as the shirty lady at planning told me the story was a myth......
Thanks Stanley for your wonderful site and through BET getting locals actually thinking about the history of where they live... Yes history is very subjective and has lots of takes and no two people have the same views... all we can do as historians is record what we know and have been told or find from written records... or deduce ourselves, John Clayton is doing a fantastic job for Pendle and Barrowford and his findings regarding Admergill Blacko and Whitemoor are very similar to what I've been collating for the last 25 years, the article you wrote in 2000 regarding Whitemoor is also very good, but misses what is blindingly obvious to us monastic landscape historians, at some point when I have enough to almost prove something I'm going to throw a massive spanner in the works! no-doubt barlickers will throw me to lions!!!! when I do...

Funny how planners are almost clueless and to a degree ignorant of the important side of preserving and protecting our cultural and physical heritage, just because its underground and has scant evidence, doesnt mean its not there! 15 years ago when County were showing plans for the New bypass, which we councillors at the time strongly opposed! they thought that the munitions site between kelbrook S'forth and County Brook had live shells and un-exploded bombs on site!!!! they were really quite concerned until I gave them the full details of what was there and what was stored on site. I pushed for conserrvation area status for my village but villagers rejected it fearing the 'big brother effect' of Pendle Council. Now we have a planning permission which will increase our village size by a third!!!!!!!! if only they had accepted conservation area status perhaps we would not be in this mess... the site should have been kept for business and trade, are we to loose all our industrial land? then in years to come; industrial units on green field sites... between the villages! mark my word!
elise

Post by elise »

klondykekid wrote:
elise wrote:As a lady who likes her pubs I am intrigued where the information re The Holy Lamb Inn and The Plough Inn came from.
Old trade directories/ voting lists/ deeds and folklore from the old generation of Salterforth who's grandparents and great grandaprents were around at the time and passed down the knowledge
Sorry to be a pain, but would you post examples of the above that show The Holy Lamb Inn and The Plough Inn, the history of pubs is a passion of mine.
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

elise wrote:
klondykekid wrote:
Sorry to be a pain, but would you post examples of the above that show The Holy Lamb Inn and The Plough Inn, the history of pubs is a passion of mine.
I would if I knew how....? I'm hoping to upload lots of photo's soon, but I'm new to this site and dont know my way around yet or how to do things... please bare with me!

Oh there is also a field that belonged to Broadstones Farm at the end of the 'milking gap' a sunken lane (long since filled in) that is called 'Plough Inn Top' unfortunately we presume the deeds for this farm are within the legal papers and deeds for the mill because Tom Clarke bought Broadstones in 1972 and we dont know if silentnight still have them? or whether broughton properties have access to them, it would be good to find out though...

Local legend also tells of an Inn (name just eludes me at the presentent) being situated within the farm at what us locals call; 'Biggins' or Park Close Cottages, this is an early 18th century farmhouse with attatched barn until it was converted into quarrymens cottages when Park Close quarry opened up... You will find that many local farms that have good access next to roads have at one time either been a brewhouse or wayside Inn. The Anchor was previously known as 'The Canal Tavern' and before the canal was built it was known as 'The travellers Rest' And the Lane Head Inn has been an Inn since the middle of the 17th century, although rebuilt in 1914 and now being converted into a private house... over 350years of tradition lost! the old building at lane head and its enclosures were built and enclosed from the wastes in the mid 16th century when the Varley family were granted rights to do so from the Duchy of Lancaster. Do you know how it acquired its name of 'Fanny Grey' in the end of the 19th century?

I was gob-smacked when it appeared in the barlick and earby times that they thought the pub to be only 100years old.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Nick, have a quick look at this thread:

Images Tips and Tricks

Image manipulation on the new site is considerably easier than it was on the old site. Easiest way is to have a go.

All your contribution so far is good stuff and fascinating, some pictures to go with it would be excellent.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"the article you wrote in 2000 regarding Whitemoor is also very good, but misses what is blindingly obvious to us monastic landscape historians, at some point when I have enough to almost prove something I'm going to throw a massive spanner in the works! no-doubt barlickers will throw me to lions!!!! when I do..."

I often think I ought to revise that article, John and I did a lot of work on it and sorted out some of the mysteries. History is all about revision based on new evidence. One thing is certain, a lot more people know of the map's existence now....

I look forward to your take on the rest of the articles. Don't be frightened of the posting, images are so much easier on this platform than on the old site. Little tip. I have a file called OG pics and I put all the images for the site in there4. They are all sized at 1000pixels longest side and you'll find they post easily. When an image has been accepted click on the thumbnail in the gallery for the full size, right click on that and select 'copy image link' then go back to your topic by right clicking on the direction arrows at the top left of the screen, select post a reply which takes you back to the post you were working on, put cursor where you want the pic, click on the image icon in the reply box and paste in the copy image location you copied. Sounds complicated but once you have cracked it it isn't and is far faster than the old site. Go to it Nick!

Just one minor point Nick, this isn't my site, it was started by Doc and belongs to those who post. It is an accident of fate that at the time when Doc was starting the site in 2004 he wanted content and I had plenty available. We started with the LTP and my Dad's memoirs plus some other odds and sods.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Stanley wrote:"the article you wrote in 2000 regarding Whitemoor is also very good, but misses what is blindingly obvious to us monastic landscape historians, at some point when I have enough to almost prove something I'm going to throw a massive spanner in the works! no-doubt barlickers will throw me to lions!!!! when I do..."

I often think I ought to revise that article, John and I did a lot of work on it and sorted out some of the mysteries. History is all about revision based on new evidence. One thing is certain, a lot more people know of the map's existence now....

I look forward to your take on the rest of the articles. Don't be frightened of the posting, images are so much easier on this platform than on the old site. Little tip. I have a file called OG pics and I put all the images for the site in there4. They are all sized at 1000pixels longest side and you'll find they post easily. When an image has been accepted click on the thumbnail in the gallery for the full size, right click on that and select 'copy image link' then go back to your topic by right clicking on the direction arrows at the top left of the screen, select post a reply which takes you back to the post you were working on, put cursor where you want the pic, click on the image icon in the reply box and paste in the copy image location you copied. Sounds complicated but once you have cracked it it isn't and is far faster than the old site. Go to it Nick!

Just one minor point Nick, this isn't my site, it was started by Doc and belongs to those who post. It is an accident of fate that at the time when Doc was starting the site in 2004 he wanted content and I had plenty available. We started with the LTP and my Dad's memoirs plus some other odds and sods.
Hi Stanley, thanks very much for the tips... I didnt know it was doc who set the site up, thanks for clarifiying... I have managed to upload a photo of Broadstones Farm taken in 1930 showing the front of the house which in later years had a lean-to wooden shed covering most of the front to store tractors and machinery. I presume you know the original 1581 map is quite a size and is hand coloured...? at some point I will try and obtain a full size colour copy of the original. It has also appeared in a published hard-back book on ancient maps...

This is for elsie; I have found my research notes from interviews I conducted with Allan and Dot Bradley of Booth House and Arthur Morley of Park Close Cottages and the inn was called; 'The Bay Horse' ...... so in the late 18th/ early 19th, Salterforth had 4 inns. Drinking ale was more common place back then due to often poor quality of drinking water from the many wells and it was also a source of extra income for the working farms. Question for those interested in pubs and their histories: recently the 'Fanny Grey' sign was taken down from the pub, due to its conversion... has the sign been saved ???
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nick, if you mean the Whitemoor map, yes I did know but my photographic copy of it is black and white. I got it from the Record office yonks ago.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”