PAGANS AND DRUIDS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PAGANS AND DRUIDS

Post by Stanley »

PAGANS AND DRUIDS

The word 'pagan' started as the Latin 'paganus', a term used by the Romans to describe a civilian or country-dweller. By the 14th century Christians were using paganus to describe someone who was not a soldier of god and the modern word pagan is thought to have first appeared in the 18th century. It carried a negative meaning and some Abrahamic religions still refer to Christians as Pagans because they believe in the Trinity and not one god. Today it equates in many people's minds to the modern concept of 'The Old Religion'.
'Druid' is more vague. The first use of it I have found is by the Roman Tacitus who was writing in the first century AD. It isn't clear what he meant, it could have been priest but could equally well have been an elder or faith advisor. Today it almost always refers to a Pagan priest.
Let's go back to 100BC and try to identify what belief systems prevailed then. They were almost certainly centred on an attempt to understand nature and a desire to live in harmony with the world. Remember there was no clear understanding of the natural forces that ruled their lives and they attributed various aspects of these to supernatural entities. We have plenty of good evidence for this. The Romans were great ones for adopting local deities and they tell us the Romanised versions of two river gods in our area, Verbeia for the Wharfe and Belisama for the Ribble, we don't know what the Celtic names were. We can only imagine what their version would be if someone drowned, almost certainly they would assume that the deity associated with that particular place had decided to take a life. Springs, pools and even bogs were seen as being connected to another world. Archaeologists have found deep shafts with votive offerings in the bottom and sites like Flag Fen near Peterborough were centres where votive offerings were cast into the water. Funnily enough, all the rivers where such associations exist have been found flow Eastwards.
As for who guided these rituals the short answer is that we don't know. Forget everything you have ever heard about Druids. The modern Druidic and Bardic movements are an 18th century invention. The one thing we are certain of is that whatever the religious practices were, nothing was ever written about them and no evidence survives. The archaeology suggests that the chief of a social group was regarded as the spiritual leader, that he was elected and that if old age or some other shortcoming affected him he was ritually killed and another leader appointed. As for the sex of leaders, we know that a strong woman called Cartimandua was leader of our tribe, the Brigantes, from about 43 to 69AD and Boudica led the Iceni tribe, dying around 60AD.
In case you're wondering why I illustrate this piece with a picture of Castle View, I was told in all seriousness in the 1960s that a coven of witches existed there.

Castle View in 1978.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PAGANS AND DRUIDS

Post by Tizer »

I'm pleased to see you writing on the topic of Pagans, they always get a bad press and people often think all pagans went around slitting the throats of virgins etc. The truth is they were more tuned in to the natural world than most of us are today and respected everything in their environment. We interpret that respect as them thinking there is a god in every pebble, every tree but that's just us imposing on them our centuries of being brainwashed.

You say "Funnily enough, all the rivers where such associations have been found flow Eastwards." I wonder if it would be more correct to say that all the sources of such rivers flow eastwards? I think the offerings were usually at the sources such as springs, ponds or lakes. Perhaps it was where the river began in an eastward direction from that source but that the ultimate direction was irrelevant and they might have flowed to the west coast.

Recently there has been found evidence of springs and ponds near Stonehenge and this seems to be exciting archaeologists.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
elise

Post by elise »

Paganism alive and well, Burnley the nearest Moot
http://paganfednw.com/?page_id=16
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" I was told in all seriousness in the 1960s that a coven of witches existed there."

Strangely enough - the Estate Agent doesn't mention this feature of the property. :laugh5:

Witch HQ
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As the series goes on you'll find that I do not give the pagans a bad press.
Deposits were made at other points in a river's progress than the source, river crossings were a favourite spot. All such deposits found so far are in rivers that flow in a mainly eastwards direction.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Tripps wrote:" I was told in all seriousness in the 1960s that a coven of witches existed there."

Strangely enough - the Estate Agent doesn't mention this feature of the property. :laugh5:

Witch HQ
It really is strange - Estate agents normally talk a right load of warlocks...! :grin:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Touch Wood.
I once read somewhere that the original meaning was attributed to the pagan's belief that different species of trees represented different attributes. Good luck. health etc. All this being lost in time until we now consider any type of wood to ward off bad omens.

Stanley, any thoughts on this subject?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

P. At that stage in history everything in nature had significance because as far as we can make out, having no other explanation for natural phenomena they thought they were all evidence of the activity of higher powers, it was the only way they could make sense of their world. So yes, certain things had certain attributes and this probably varied from family to family as there was no universal belief system. Think of the Australian Aborigines who have their own 'birth tree' and return to it throughout their lives.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just realised I never responded to Ken's question about wood 8 years ago. The only instance I know is that some people regard Holly as a wood with special qualities. Funnily enough half as unlucky and half as lucky as far as I can see.
It was used extensively for making faux ebony handles for teapots.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped. The Pagans still fascinate me.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”