AGE OF INNOCENCE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

AGE OF INNOCENCE

Post by Stanley »

AGE OF INNOCENCE

You've often heard me say how lucky I was to be born in 1936 even though I had to put up with Adolph Hitler for nine years. I gloss over the Rickets, Scarlet Fever and Diphtheria because I escaped them all. Apart from the war, which we got used to, I had a good childhood, was well nourished despite rationing and had good caring parents. The only electronic aid we had was the wireless, we had a telephone but I never had cause to use it. As far as I was concerned it was simply a means by which work could contact my father. Looking back and comparing it with today, it was in so many ways an Age of Innocence.
What's brought this on is two bits of news that have come to me in the last few days, first was the report in this paper that West Craven High School has banned mobile phones on the premises because they are not necessary, encourage bullying and other dangerous behaviours. By the way, I thoroughly approve of this policy and wish the school well in enforcing it. Then there was the news this morning of a report based on a study of schoolchildren and the problems they face. Top of the list was bullying and 'sexting' via mobile phones whereby they were encouraged to send each other explicit pictures of themselves. The children (some of them less than ten years old) said that this was rampant and if they didn’t join in they were accused of 'being frigid'. Even worse, they said that even if they actively avoided these behaviours, the news feeds they had as applications on their phones were loaded with sexual innuendo seemingly targeted at young people and couldn't be avoided. Add to this inappropriate brand advertising and I for one wonder what on earth is happening here?
I look back fifty years to when Vera and I were rearing three daughters and reflect that while we didn't always get everything right, at least we hadn't these modern problems to worry about and on the whole they all grew up straight and level-headed. I can't imagine what it must be like for modern parents, all I can say is that it would worry me sick. I have every sympathy not only for the kids but the parents.
The question is can anything be done about it? I have this terrible feeling that while policies like banning phones in school might help a little, the danger is still there for the rest of the day. Are we so sick as a society that this is now the norm? The terrible thing is that this deterioration in behaviour happened on our watch, perhaps we took our eye off the ball. If so all I can say is that I for one am ashamed and wish there was a way to put the Genii back in the bottle. Trouble is, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Children playing in the School Lane beck in Earby around 1900.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Re: AGE OF INNOCENCE

Post by LizG »

Well written Stanley. It was hard enough bringing up my kids in the 70's without the pressure of technology like it is now.

I do think parents of today need to re-think their interpretation of bullying though. What is called bullying these days is sometimes just kids teasing each other. I know we have to be careful with our granddaughters because no-one ever says 'no' to them and if we do they just fall apart.

Maybe we should encourage self confidence and teach kids to stand up for themselves, in the nicest possible way of course. All food for thought.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I remember my daughter getting her first mobile phone at about age 12 (1999), it was a simple pre-paid with texting and phone calls only. No internet and pre social media sites. I remember her best friend had the same and the first 20 minutes of talking was free, so they would take it in turns calling each other back (and back and back) watching the clock all the way, ofcourse their conversations went on for hours.
I can clearly remember that as a teenager if I wanted to make a phone call, I had to walk up the road and use a public phone box!!
I don't think she experienced any real bullying, she actually went thru high school with pretty much the same group of friends, both male and females, and they went most places together.
Last edited by Cathy on 29 Apr 2016, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you unplug most young kids from their electronic gizmo's they still readily take to simple play like messing about in the beck. We do this and other "normal" play activities with our grandchildren regularly. One of the "in things with young girls seems to be watching video's of people opening My Little Ponies or surprise type treats such as Kinder Eggs, subliminal advertising and totally pointless, and some folk said that Bill and Ben and the Woodentops were rubbish. :surprised:

The ban on mobiles at West Craven should have a major beneficial effect on the exam startup procedure, we'll test how well it's working next month.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bullying has always been with us, my life was a misery at one time at Grammar School. I've always said that if I met my tormentor now I would just stick one on him for the pleasure..... Have you ever read the story of the Pope's mule? (Alphonse Daudet, 1840-1897) Worth taking twenty minutes to listen to the story on this podcast.... LINK
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes bullying is everywhere, but how sad is it that young bullies often come from home environments where they are not looked after properly. Being a bully gives them a feeling of having some control in their lives. It's a bit like a member of a gang, it gives them a sense of belonging.
It's sickening to see vision on the news of high school girls laying into each other - and their mothers on the side-lines cheering them on. I hate to think what goes on in those families!!
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

From my experience from knowledge of a range of schools and childrens home where bullying has been an issue the three best solutions to coming some way to solving the issue are
1. Nominate a member of staff to be a bullying mentor and ensure that they have the resources to train and educate staff and youngsters.
2. Ban mobiler phones from schools.
3. Police social media sites effectively so that no-one under the age of 18 has access to them.

Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Just like the kids being called `frigid' if they didn't join in, if an adult says there is too much sexual imagery and sexual innuendo they get called a prude. And if you tell parents they shouldn't let their kids have this or watch that they say `But all the other kids have it'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Two apprentices

In the shape of a couple of our grandchildren who, when we go on our walks are being taught field craft just like we did our own kids.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like good advice Comrade.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and images restored. Again, just as pertinent today as it was then.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Worth bumping if only for the input of Nolic..... It was his job and his life's work and he knew what he was talking about.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very interesting Stanley, well written.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I never updated regarding the mobile phones ban up at West Craven. Good idea in principal but it was at the same time I was invigilating exams at the school. We had daily collections of mobiles before the start of mocks or real GCSE exams. We had a segregated numbered box that they could be deposited in, owner took the relevant number card and placed the phone in its place, switched off of course. Claim it back by presenting the number cad at the end of the exam. Still had to confiscate the odd ones after the exams had started which was an instant failure offence. The box held about 50 phones and was often full. Eventually we did away with the numbering system and the segregation in the box when it was not big enough!
Ian

Return to “Stanley's View”