SPEND. SPEND. SPEND!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SPEND. SPEND. SPEND!

Post by Stanley »

SPEND SPEND SPEND!

It is that time of year again. The UK retail industry is using it's advertising muscle to cajole us into spending as much as possible. The shops, both on the High Street and online are packed with tempting goodies and according to the experts, much of this spending is going to be done using credit. The terrible thing about the financial world we live in at the moment is that many people don't have access to credit at reasonable rates of interest. We have all seen the offers of as much cash as you want at eye-watering rates of up to 1300% APR. That's right, no mistake, 1300%!
I was brought up to observe the Micawber Principle. If expenditure is less than income, happiness. If it is more, misery. So as usual at this time of year I am advocating a careful eye on the finances. Many people know the horrible sinking feeling when the January credit card bill come in and you can't believe the amount owing. It's too late when you get it, now is the time to avoid the trap!
Sorry about that, but you know it makes sense. I can remember a time when a Christmas stocking held one outstanding present, an orange and if you were lucky during rationing, some sweets. I have to report that I was never deprived and had at least as good a Christmas as today's children who are used to a pile of presents, not just one. I can't help wondering whether a lot of this is due to parents being anxious in case their children lose out in the bragging contest with their peers in the playground after the holiday. Is it a form of buying affection? Unfortunately those nice people who make the advertisements understand this all too well and play on it. There is no sentiment when you are chasing sales in a competitive market place.
As many of you know, I spent a lot of my working life in Scotland, particularly with the farmers. New Year is a more important festival there and is seen very much as a beginning of a fresh year. I don't know whether the tradition still exists but the aim was always to pay all debts before New Year's Day and have a clean start. I suspect that to many, this is an impossible dream. People in the UK owed £1.503 trillion at the end of September 2016. This is up from £1.451 trillion at the end of September 2015 – an extra £1036.58 per UK adult. The average total debt per household – including mortgages – was £55,683 in September. Taking into account the uncertainties of Cameron's Catastrophe, Brexit, this is frightening.
Once again I apologise for being a wet blanket but this really does merit some thought. However, don't let me spoil Christmas. There is plenty of affordable joy out there if we search for it and I wish you all a happy holiday.

The Christmas lights in London. Sloane Square this week.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Re: SPEND. SPEND. SPEND!

Post by LizG »

I remember those Christmas stockings too Stanley. Can you explain the orange?

I agree, spending for Christmas can get out of control. In my opinion my niece does it really well. She has 3 little girls and they each get 'something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read'. It will be interesting to see how well it works as they get older.

On the other hand my grand daughters are very hard to buy for. They get everything they want during the year making it very difficult to get them anything for either birthday or Christmas. Our 9 year old got a fitbit for her last birthday. What on earth will she get when she's 16?
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A car Liz! The orange was always so special during the war because they were so rare. We knew about the taste of them because the free health clinics gave away cod liver oil and concentrated orange juice for children as part of the effort to ensure vitamin intake under rationing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked up current levels of personal debt:- People in the UK owed £1,767.1 billion at the end of January 2022. This is up by £62.2 billion from £1,704.8 billion at the end of January 2021, an extra £1,176.40 per UK adult over the year. The average total debt per household, including mortgages, was £63,582.
So it looks as though this article is still pertinent. Bumped and image restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

'something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read'.
I think that is a brilliant idea, well done your niece for thinking that one up Liz.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 03:29 The average total debt per household, including mortgages, was £63,582.
Pleased to see I'm not the average household :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll second that motion Kev.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Mum has needed to buy a new cooker - actually another table top one, but I chose not to get one with the inbuilt hobs, but ordered two induction hob plates, see how they go. £119 all in , Six months interest free credit and 20% discount so £99.99 all in.

Perhaps Sloane Square is close to being my favourite place in London. Walk to the east and you are near Buckingham Palace or Victoria Main Line Station , go south via Pimlico and you end up at the Thames or the Tate. Go North past some interesting residential buildings and you are in the other shopping area - either Harrods or what used to be Dickens and Jones. Sloane Square itself has a theatre and the Peter Jones department store of the John Lewis Partnership. Walking west takes you down the King's Road of the swinging 60s fame, into Chelsea then north side of Putney Bridge for a fit walk or the number 22 bus from the top deck view. Played Christmas Carols in Sloane Square one Saturday one year.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked the latest figures up....
People in the UK owed £1,842.6 billion at the end of June 2023. This is up by £42.1 billion from £1,841.1 billion at the end of June 2022, an extra £791 per UK adult over the year. The average total debt per household, including mortgages, was £65,619. Per adult this was £34,644, around 103.5% of average earnings.
These figures are eye-watering. We still need this article!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A chap on the Sky newspaper review last night stated that 22% of pensioners were millionaires.
He said it was largely due to property price increases, and no one challenged what he said.
Looks like it's a bit more complicated than the simple statement, but he's not too far away from the truth.

Data the ONS collected between 2016 and 2018 shows that one in five households (22%) in Great Britain, where the main householder (the person responsible for household finances) is over 65, have a household wealth of over a million pounds.

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's quite astonishing David. Unfortunately I am not in that number!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”