VANDALISM

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

VANDALISM

Post by Stanley »

VANDALISM

I usually make sure I have my ducks in a row before I write for you, I make sure of my facts as far as possible. This week's offering is slightly different because I want to talk about something that completely baffles me. It's also going to be a bit of a whinge as well so bear with me. I want to have a look at vandalism. The dictionary definition is 'deliberately mischievous or malicious destruction or damage of property' and the origin is from the Germanic tribe, the Vandals who ravaged Gaulle and Spain before going on to sack Rome. They were associated with savage destructive behaviour. This is a pretty good description of the mindless behaviour that concerns me.
You have all seen what I mean, litter bins overturned and the contents scattered around. In one case a fortnight ago the bin was ripped off the post to which it was securely fastened and thrown into the road opposite Dam Head bridge. I have seen dog bins set on fire and in some extreme cases shop windows broken. Most of the incidents happen late on a Friday or Saturday night and so it's a good bet they are drink related. However, drink doesn’t explain why these acts were committed. Not all people who have had a drink smash up telephone boxes or break bottles in the street. There is something else going on. Whether they realise it or not, I believe that the vandals are making a statement.
There is another phenomenon that I have noted, the general increase in depictions of violence in the media and electronic games. The advent of new technologies means that it is easier than ever to make realistic scenes of violence and destruction. Even in plays without CGI, modern attitudes, particularly the way women are treated, appals me. I think I am correct in assuming that the vandalism I refer to is done mainly by young men but there again, I could be wrong.
The thing that really concerns me is this. Is what we are seeing a symptom of a general deterioration in society? We have all watched the death of ethics in much of the high end financial sector when the greed for profit swamps what used to be called good business. Revelations like the Expenses Scandal suggest that there is a similar deterioration in Parliament. I think it has spread to HMRC where it seems that the wealthy can get away with tax dodging behaviour that would result in imprisonment for benefits claimants. Think of LIBOR and the scale of open corruption that revealed.
Perhaps the common factor is knowing that one can 'get away with it'. A few high end players in handcuffs could be a deterrent. In the case of street level vandalism, we have CCTV. Is anyone reviewing the footage? Have we enough police? I suspect that, like me, many of you have asked the same questions, I have to admit I don't know the answer but it saddens me....

What's the point of doing this to tree up at Letcliffe?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: VANDALISM

Post by Stanley »

The questions pose in this piece have not only not gone away but in some cases, particularly in Parliament, it seems to have got worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: VANDALISM

Post by Stanley »

Once again I detect further deterioration and so we should be talking about this......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”