CONNECTION WITH THE PAST

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

CONNECTION WITH THE PAST

Post by Stanley »

CONNECTION WITH THE PAST

One of the most difficult parts of any full understanding of our history is the ability to reach back and put ourselves in the same frame of reference as our chosen subjects. It's no good trying to assess the quality of life of a Stone Age man or woman eking out a bare existence from hunter gathering if the standards we use are our own, cosseted as we are by housing, clothing and the Cooperative! We have to try to imagine how it was for them. Were they frightened, cold, wet or hungry? If they knew nothing better did this affect them as much as it would us? On most of these questions we can do no more than make educated guesses backed up, if we are lucky, by hard archaeological evidence. I spend a lot of my life puzzling about questions like this....
However, jump forwards 3,000 years to me going out into the front garden on a mild night a few days ago. I should explain that with a back like mine you need a garden that involves minimum cultivation and my answer to this is Mint, Lads-love and Chives! I noticed as soon as I opened the door an almost overpowering scent of mint and as I stood there enjoying it I remembered that I had read a record of fossil seeds of Mint being found in Northern Europe. This means that it was common in the Stone Age and knowing how smart our ancestors were, they would certainly know about it and use it. I had a direct connection with our forbears, the scent and taste of Mint.
As I thought about this I added some other things I already knew. We know from evidence of burials that they loved and revered their dead. Physiologically they are identical to us and so would be familiar with pain. They would also experience hunger, the warm sensation of being full and the pleasure of sitting next to the heat of a fire. Thinking more about scent, they would recognise the smell of decay, fire and even water if they were in a dry environment. I remember once reading a report about a possible use for the flat platforms archaeologists found on some sites. After much discussion it was agreed that these were malting floors for processing Barley to make beer, we were already aware of fermented wild honey and water producing Mead so we can add some more scents like alcohol to their repertoire. This also means they knew the experience of intoxication. The more you think about it, the more you realise what we have in common with our ancestors and it isn't as difficult as you might first think to make some connections outside our modern frame of reference.
I know! I should get out more but if I've flagged up a connection and helped you to understand these ancient people a bit better perhaps I wasn't wasting my time day-dreaming in the garden.

As fine a crop of mint as you'll find anywhere!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CONNECTION WITH THE PAST

Post by Stanley »

Bumped. Still pertinent, putting ourselves into someone else's frame of reference is still key to so many subjects, including understanding our contemporaries!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Very interesting and makes you think, well written.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Speaking of Connections with the past - thought you might like to see such a thing. A photo of my modest collection of souvenir cups dating from 1935 and commemorating the Silver Jubilee of King George Fifth and Queen Mary, given away I would guess, to school children by the Urban District of Chadderton. It is noteworthy - especially in view of the date -that they are a very good quality item, - in fine bone china, not quite identical, and made by Shelley. I like that. :smile:

Silver Jubilee 1935.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And very precisely placed on the shelf as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

From 1949. A far cry from two weeks in Benidorm or even Dubai - and the commentary is by Mr Cholmondley-Warner. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And I'll bet Mr Cholmondley-Warner wore pin stripe trousers and a bow tie for the presentation.
It was a different world David.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Not sure whether this belongs here or even to post it or not. Certainly it's connected with the past.
I found some boxes of 35mm slides and have managed to digitise a couple of them. Hard work for me, and not a very good picture, but quite an achievement I think. It's from Singapore Races in 1966, and I've still got the 'bins' hanging up in the hall. Indulge me. :smile:
SNG races 1966.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite an achievement to digitise a 35mm slide without special scanning equipment..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. Still worth giving the matter some thought.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I enjoyed your article Stanley.
We have our routines and to-do lists etc, I wonder what theirs were and what thoughts filled their minds everyday.
🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like ours, mainly to do with survival Cathy..... If they didn't try they didn't survive!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”